Getting closer - An ATI graphics guide

captainsquash

353 posts in this topic

Thanks alot for this great post.

I tried callisto003 and jas's ati driver on my DELL D600 (ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 ID: 0x4c66 )and i get software opengl with osx86 10.4.7.

This is great. Meanwhile I checked out googleearth and it works with some artifacts, but they disappear if you zoom in or out...

Good work, thx a lot for it :)

I hope that someday hardware acceleration will be possible...

Btw, if you want to know if you have 2D Acceleration.

Open the terminal:

ioreg -l

Find Radeon8500

and look for this:

cut...

ATI R200 2D Context is loaded

ATI R200 Surface is loaded

These are what make up 2D Accel. on an ATI Video Card.

Also there are no R200 GL Drivers loaded. It doesn't show them listed.

GT

hi, i have yet this ati 8500 (i'm still waiting for a 9800 pro from a friend of mine) and 10.4.8 installed. I checked for these lines in ioreg and i don't have them. With built-in callisto from 10.4.8 the resolution was only 1024x768, so i changed callisto kexts with the 008 version and can change resolution up to 1280x1024 (didn't try higher cause maybe system crash - already experimented).

I ask if 8500 has a chance to run in order to see a dvd on the pc or if there's no hope.

Is it right i can't see a dvd without qe/ci or if i can enable 2d acceleration (how?) i can?

apologize for my bad english, bye.

Well, so far no real luck on my end, I've been playing with AGPGart, XRadeonFB and nothings really getting me any closer to getting QE to work.

I know Nvidia users are rolling around in glee with the addition of Omni's Titan, but as far as I can tell, we might not be able to get QE working anytime soon.

I say this because I'm fairly confident that most ATI users (at this point in time) have an Xxxxx series card, so I'm assuming that most developers have given up on the 9xxx QE effort. I'm not giving up, but I'm (unfortunately) not really a kext wizard.

So far all my new kexts yield no change (just opengl), a black depressing screen, or this...

ohnomu8.jpg

So, it looks like I've got a long ways to go. But again, I'm not giving up!

I have radeon 9600 pro 128mb on AGP. I have no mouse artifact or any serious issues but QE/CI is not working and my card is detected as PCI as well.

My question is, do I install callisto drivers and AGP gart? Or just callisto will do? How do I edit the 9700 kext for my card?

Sorry I am still very noob on osx.

Hey guys, Thanks for every bodies hard work out there. This whole thing is awesome!

When I installed 10.4.7 Jas repack I had QE & CI out of the box but the mouse tearing was too much for me.

So I tried callisto003 and jas's ati driver on my DELL 8400 (ATI Radeon x300 )and now I'm getting software open GL with itunes, aperture 1.5.1/ilife 06 running good and screensavers are finally running smooth on osx86 10.4.8. Also able to use Display options in the preferences panel. But no QE & CI. Guess thats the trade off for now.

But thats not the end of the story as far as QE & CI. This is really strange. I wanted to test Front Row patched version so I installed it and than tried to play a movie. It played the movie in a choppy way, so I exited and for some reason checked my Graphics system profiler and suddenly QE & CI were registering as Supported. I rebooted and it was back to normal (Not Supported).

But I tried the same thing again (Opening a movie with front Row) and sure enough it was enabled again. (QE & CI Supported) I have repeated this 9-10 times and everytime by opening a movie in Front Row my QE & CI become enabled with out mouse Tearing.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

abubin - it's perfectly okay to be a noob, we've all got to start somewhere :thumbsdown_anim:

For you, Callisto will enable you to change resolutions with your radeon 9600, I'd reccomend build 003 of Callisto as most people seem to have the greatest success with it (i.e. some builds just go down in flames)

AGPGart will make it so your radeon 9600 will show under the AGP bus, a new version was released recently and should fool some apps into givinng you better acceleration.

XRadeonFB is an attempt to get hardware acceleration going, but its a bit shaky at this point. I wanted to help with the project but it did a number on my laptop, had to boot from darwin and remove kexts & clean up. I'd suggest to shy away from this if you're lookig for a stable OS X.

I wouldn't recommend fooling around with the 9700 kexts just yet - as far as I know I think that would spell out danger - presuming you can get it to work. Unless someone else has a method for the 9600 to work, I'd shy away from it as much as possible.

Anyways, the bottom line: Install callisto and JaS's driver for sure and AGPGart wouldn't hurt. Don't mess around with the 9700 if you can.

kapunas - No I can't say I've come across that, thats extremely bizarre. My only guess is that frontrow may be using some QE and CI libraries (it does require a QE/CI after all) and it may have thought that they were enabled somehow? I'm really not sure whats going on without looking at/using the computer. If you could provide me (or this thread) with screenshots that would be appreciated. Interesting find.

Now if this fully enables CI/QE / Front Row runs 'normally', I'd be curious to see if other apps which require QE or CI run as well.

I'm a bit confused about all this. First, I suppose my ATI 9000 is different from others, because even in Windows all I get is 1024x768. I also installed the ATI driver from the first post in this thread, and it didn't speed up anything. Unless I'm doing it wrong, it doesn't work for me as things still feel real sluggish graphically. Any way I can test out how mine is working in comparison to others?

abubin - it's perfectly okay to be a noob, we've all got to start somewhere :P

For you, Callisto will enable you to change resolutions with your radeon 9600, I'd reccomend build 003 of Callisto as most people seem to have the greatest success with it (i.e. some builds just go down in flames)

AGPGart will make it so your radeon 9600 will show under the AGP bus, a new version was released recently and should fool some apps into givinng you better acceleration.

Thanks for the advise. I have a Radeon 9600/P4 3.0G Prescott running with Jas 10.4.7, Callisto 08.

Where can I get a copy of AGPGart?

How do you check and confirm that AGPGart is installed properly and running?

Which new version of AGPGart are you referring to and what is the file name?

Where can I get a copy?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks to the first callisto part of your guide I got my native resolution of 1400x1050 running on my Mobility Radeon 9700 without any artifacts (it went crazy when moving windows) and without any mouse artifacts for the first time ever. Thanks!

However, as great as that is now, all 3d acceleration is gone (or so I think). The screensavers stopped running at usual speed, instead they move 1 frame per second or so. I wasn't able to get the Ati.kext driver to load, same problem as Java Duke.

So now I wonder, does it mean I'm stuck with either artifacts + acceleration or no artifacts + no acceleration? I'm a bit confused here about what callisto actually does. Is it a driver replacing the standard vesa driver, but with only 2d capabilities and hence the additional Ati.kext for 3d? Wouldn't it be possible to get the obvious benefits of callisto, but have the 3d still use vesa?

Thanks for the help and your guide.

I have the same problem as you described using the patched MacOSX 10.4.5 (Darwin 8.4.1 kernel). My card is AGP Radeon 9800 AIW Pro. Here the result of XBench before and after the application of Callisto build 8 (first part of the guide)

Before the Callisto patch

Quartz Extreme Supported: Yes

Quartz Graphic Test: 28.07

OpenGL Graphic Test 33.71 (42.76 frames/sec)

User Interface Test 10.10 (46.36 refresh/sec)

* DVDPlayer working fine and playing DVD a little bit sluggish

* artifact of mouse tearing once in a while

After the Callisto patch

Quartz Extreme Supported: No

Quartz Graphic Test: 23.13

OpenGL Graphic Test 33.33 (42.28 frames/sec)

User Interface Test 10.03 (46.01 refresh/sec)

* DVDPlayer crashes upon open the program

* No more artifact of mouse tearing

Screensaver plays smoothly without any apparent notice of 1 frame/sec though after the patch of Callisto. I only think if you do the second part of the guide, your screensaver will be stuck at very slow frame rate. I'll appreciate for furthuer inputs on this issue.

Thanks for the reply Captainsquash. I'll get some screen shots up in a bit. I played around a bit more and with opening a movie in Front Row and now imovie hd does not give me a warning message about QE&CI when it is opened.

Screenshots

about.86a.th.gif

Before:

before.532.th.gif

After:

after.th.gif

I dont know if I can get this effect to survive through a boot though. But it is nice to have QE&CI Supported without Mouse Tearing even if it is in a strange sort of manual way. It also allows me to install QE&CI enabled programs without message warnings.

What are the main apps that require QE&CI? So far with this ilife/Aperture runs well. I cant say that Front row runs normally as it is a patched version and I dont think the top menu bar is supposed to be visible when viewing a movie etc.

Kapunas - I'm still really perplexed about that. I wish I could pinpoint the reason that QE/CI to turns on suddenly, but I don't have a copy of Front Row. Probably one of the most notable apps to use CI is Aperture, aperture runs all any computer with openGL accel, but can you do fullscreen mode? Another CI app is Photo Booth (if you can configure it to use an existing webcam). QE is required by the vast majority of games available for the mac today, for example Myst V, World of Warcraft, Unreal Tournament 2004... if you don't have any games to try, you can always try Cube.

Helob - You can download AGPGart from http://x86dev.org/forums/. I have the q version now, seems to be working pretty well. You can check if its running properly you can see if you see (for example) AGP: Found Radeon 9000 M9 Graphics Adapter or anything followed by AGP: in when in -v boot mode (you see lots of white text on a black background when booting)

Guest goodtime

But thats not the end of the story as far as QE & CI. This is really strange. I wanted to test Front Row patched version so I installed it and than tried to play a movie. It played the movie in a choppy way, so I exited and for some reason checked my Graphics system profiler and suddenly QE & CI were registering as Supported. I rebooted and it was back to normal (Not Supported).

But I tried the same thing again (Opening a movie with front Row) and sure enough it was enabled again. (QE & CI Supported) I have repeated this 9-10 times and everytime by opening a movie in Front Row my QE & CI become enabled with out mouse Tearing.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this.

That's pretty wild.

Is your Machine SSE3? And are you running a true 10.4.8 (8.8.1 kernel) system?

hi, i have yet this ati 8500 (i'm still waiting for a 9800 pro from a friend of mine) and 10.4.8 installed. I checked for these lines in ioreg and i don't have them. With built-in callisto from 10.4.8 the resolution was only 1024x768, so i changed callisto kexts with the 008 version and can change resolution up to 1280x1024 (didn't try higher cause maybe system crash - already experimented).

I ask if 8500 has a chance to run in order to see a dvd on the pc or if there's no hope.

Is it right i can't see a dvd without qe/ci or if i can enable 2d acceleration (how?) i can?

apologize for my bad english, bye.

Two get 2d acceleration: Edit the info.plist file inside the ATIRadeon8500GA.plugin, contents.

What you will do is replace out "IONDRVFramebuffer" with "CallistoFB" or "IOFramebuffer" under Contents:Info.plist

I suggest using the terminal command:

sudo nano /dragfilehere.plist

to edit the file and write it there using Ctrl-W, so you won't have to reinstall the 8500GA.plugin. After saving the info.plist file, reboot and see if you get the 2D Accel remarks under ioreg -l

"Is your Machine SSE3? And are you running a true 10.4.8 (8.8.1 kernel) system?"

Hi, no my Machine is only SSE2 capable and unfortunately for now I am still running the 10.4.8 (8.4.1 Darwin kernel)(Working Great).

Although I'd love some direction in how to update. :lol:

It's still a mystery to me I have just been enabling via FrontRow every time I startup in the morning. It appears to me that aperture runs in full screen mode ok/no problems that I noticed. Also I noticed that I have the ripple effect when launching new widgets. Have not tested any games yet for QE&CI compatibility although I was going to give Cube a run tonight.

Thanks for the responses.

Here is some system info if that helps at all.

Operating System Type: Darwin

kern.osrelease = 8.4.1

kern.osrevision = 199506

kern.version = Darwin Kernel Version 8.4.1: Tue Jan 3 18:23:53 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.7.90.obj~1/RELEASE_I386

kern.maxvnodes = 33792

kern.maxproc = 532

kern.maxfiles = 12288

kern.argmax = 262144

kern.securelevel = 1

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: OSx86 Development Platform

Machine Model: ADP2,1

CPU Type: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 3.2 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM EST

Graphics/Displays:

Radeon X300/SE (PCIE):

Chipset Model: Radeon X300/SE (PCIE)

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5b60

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

DELL 1901FP:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Captainsquash have you tried these Drivers

Might help you get QE&CI going

Thanks for those kapunas, but unfortunately I can't get them working right away.

The good news is it's doing something, the bad news is my hackbook no longer boots without a kernel panic. Callisto 003 is the only build which works on my hackbook (which basically limits me to the 9600 at best), and I'm fairly confident that 9600 and 9000 are different enough to cause OS X some grief without some moderately heavy tinkering :P.

I say this on a whim, so I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident that modifying the 8500 kexts to work with a 9000 will be much easier (and possible) than modifying a modified 9700 kext to a 9000. I'd definitley still like to play around with it though.

I have a calc test tomorrow morning, so as much as I'd like to play with this I realllyyyy should be studying. I'll play with these over the weekend though, thanks :D

Two get 2d acceleration: Edit the info.plist file inside the ATIRadeon8500GA.plugin, contents.

What you will do is replace out "IONDRVFramebuffer" with "CallistoFB" or "IOFramebuffer" under Contents:Info.plist

I suggest using the terminal command:

sudo nano /dragfilehere.plist

to edit the file and write it there using Ctrl-W, so you won't have to reinstall the 8500GA.plugin. After saving the info.plist file, reboot and see if you get the 2D Accel remarks under ioreg -l

Hi, this is a part of ioreg -l concerning ATI8500, but don't know where to find 2D acceleration, i changed to CallistoFB. Anyway, no screensaver or dvdplayer.app, everything involving opengl crash.

thank you and bye.

ATIRadeon8500  <class ATIRadeon8500, registered, matched, a$
| |   |	   | {
| |   |	   |   "AccelCaps" = 0
| |   |	   |   "IOGLBundleName" = "ATIRadeon8500GLDriver"
| |   |	   |   "IOSourceVersion" = "1.4.40.4"
| |   |	   |   "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.ATIRadeon8500"
| |   |	   |   "IOClass" = "ATIRadeon8500"
| |   |	   |   "IODVDBundleName" = "ATIRadeon8500VADriver"
| |   |	   |   "IOProbeScore" = 0
| |   |	   |   "IOMatchCategory" = "IOAccelerator"
| |   |	   |   "IOPCIMatch" = "0x514C1002 0x516C1002 0x4C661002 0x496610$
| |   |	   |   "IOAccelRevision" = 2
| |   |	   |   "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904$
| |   |	   |   "IOProviderClass" = "IOPCIDevice"
| |   |	   |   "PerformanceStatistics" = {"vramFreeBytes"=61865984,"surf$
| |   |	   | }
| |   |	   | 
| |   |	   +-o ATIR2002DContext  <class ATIR2002DContext, !registered, !$
| |   |	   |   {
| |   |	   |   }
| |   |	   |   
| |   |	   +-o ATIR200Surface  <class ATIR200Surface, !registered, !matc$
| |   |		   {
| |   |			 "IOUserClientCrossEndianCompatible" = Yes
| |   |		   }

Alright fabioxx, let's take it from the top. This works for me and hopefully it will work for you too.

Firstly, back up your ATIRadeon8500* kexts etc and then remove all of ATIRadeon8500* files and folders from the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Remove Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache from /System/Library

If you don't have it already, grab a copy of Callisto (i use 003), make sure CallistoHAL is set with your deviceID.

Download AGPGart (i use 2.0r, apparently 2.1t is the latest version now), copy it to the /System/Library/Extensions folder and set permissions

(In terminal)

sudo chmod -R 755 /S*/L*/E*AGP*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /S*/L*/E*/AGP*

Reboot, and you should have opengl.

A fair warning: Screensavers will work, itunes vizualizations works, chess works (etc.) but DVD player will not work with this fix.

Hello Folks,

For I am reading and learning from all of you for a while now in this great and helpful community, and writing my first thread here, I would first like to thank you for introducing me to this great operating system.

I am hoping to improve my creative work and the usual "everyday" tasks with it as well.

I´m pretty sure that I am not the only one, who is experiencing this kind of problem, so I will try to explain it shortly:

At the moment I have got MAC OsX 10.4.6 installed, and every Device (AC97, FW_400, Ethernet, ACPI, except of Wireless_LAN, of course) is recognized and working.

To make the Installation of this operating system a stunning (all in all it already is...) experience to work with, I want to get, like many others of you, the CORE IMAGE / QUARTZ EXTREME function applied to my built in graphics adapter.

It is an ATI 9600 Mobility M10 (RV 350) 128MB chip, that is implemented on an 855PM / ICH4 Intel Mainboard in an TWINHEAD R15B Notebook.

The default resolution of the display is 1400x1050 pixels.

What I tried until now:

- searching and finding (thank you all once again!!) several threads regarding this problem

- installing each version of OSX from 10.4.4 to 10.4.7

- replacing and modifying .KEXT´s from 10.4.4 to 10.4.7 (ATIRadeon9700 and the corresponding ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin)

- applying and combining all available CALLISTO Drivers with the result of being able to change resolutions

- using John Koverg´s´patch on each possible constellation

My results are: (differ from each other depending on the changes that I made before)

- interrupted boot process just after loading loginwindow.app (verbose mode),

with the mouse pointer hung in the upper left corner of the window but terminal text still visible.

Shortly after this, sudden color blur fading over the screen beginning at screen edges, until bright grey (failure of DDC recognition driver to LCD Panel and color amplification of the graphics adapter, I guess)

- normal bootup but no changes done to CORE/QUARTZ functionality of OSX

- the upper half of the screen (black) is distorted by white horizontal lines and the system is not

responding

I am not giving up trying my best to get it running, but if somebody experiences similar problems or even has solved them, just let me know.

Cheers

Guest goodtime
Hi, this is a part of ioreg -l concerning ATI8500, but don't know where to find 2D acceleration, i changed to CallistoFB. Anyway, no screensaver or dvdplayer.app, everything involving opengl crash.

thank you and bye.

ATIRadeon8500  <class ATIRadeon8500, registered, matched, a$
| |   |	   | {
| |   |	   |   "AccelCaps" = 0
| |   |	   |   "IOGLBundleName" = "ATIRadeon8500GLDriver"
| |   |	   |   "IOSourceVersion" = "1.4.40.4"
| |   |	   |   "CFBundleIdentifier" = "com.apple.ATIRadeon8500"
| |   |	   |   "IOClass" = "ATIRadeon8500"
| |   |	   |   "IODVDBundleName" = "ATIRadeon8500VADriver"
| |   |	   |   "IOProbeScore" = 0
| |   |	   |   "IOMatchCategory" = "IOAccelerator"
| |   |	   |   "IOPCIMatch" = "0x514C1002 0x516C1002 0x4C661002 0x496610$
| |   |	   |   "IOAccelRevision" = 2
| |   |	   |   "IOCFPlugInTypes" = {"ACCF0000-0000-0000-0000-000a2789904$
| |   |	   |   "IOProviderClass" = "IOPCIDevice"
| |   |	   |   "PerformanceStatistics" = {"vramFreeBytes"=61865984,"surf$
| |   |	   | }
| |   |	   | 
| |   |	   +-o ATIR2002DContext  <class ATIR2002DContext, !registered, !$
| |   |	   |   {
| |   |	   |   }
| |   |	   |   
| |   |	   +-o ATIR200Surface  <class ATIR200Surface, !registered, !matc$
| |   |		   {
| |   |			 "IOUserClientCrossEndianCompatible" = Yes
| |   |		   }

According to your ioreg -l output. You have 2D Acceleration:

|

| | | +-o ATIR2002DContext <class ATIR2002DContext, !registered, !$

| | | | {

| | | | }

| | | |

| | | +-o ATIR200Surface <class ATIR200Surface, !registered, !matc$

Has anyone swapped out a SSE2 processor for an SSE3 one on a laptop?

If we can get SSE3 working or get an SSE3 emulator. I am pretty sure we can get QE with 10.4.8 (8.8.1 kernel).

gt

It's been pretty quiet here lately (and understandably as nothing really has materialized yet)

But! That's about to change (I think), Right now I'm working on a present for you guys. Its an installer/package (which I call Katana) which takes all the work (even though there really isn't all that much) out of installing Callisto and AGPGart. Hopefully you'll find this to be as useful as I found it (it certainly comes in handy when I experiment with kexts and blast my system to smithereens).

Right now, I just need to work on the installer so that it plays nicely with the postinstall script. At this point in time the user has to manually enter the Device ID of the graphics card (it gives you the rundown if you're not sure), but I'm probably going to make an autodetection script in 0.2 provided my idea works. When I get the autodetection working, I'll post it here for everyones joy and delight.

scrav4.png

Edit: Success! Autodetection works (for me anyways) and I'll be posting a beta build tomorrow.

Guest BuildSmart
According to your ioreg -l output. You have 2D Acceleration:

|

| | | +-o ATIR2002DContext <class ATIR2002DContext, !registered, !$

| | | | {

| | | | }

| | | |

| | | +-o ATIR200Surface <class ATIR200Surface, !registered, !matc$

Has anyone swapped out a SSE2 processor for an SSE3 one on a laptop?

If we can get SSE3 working or get an SSE3 emulator. I am pretty sure we can get QE with 10.4.8 (8.8.1 kernel).

gt

You've interpreted this wrong "!registered" means it's not registered and "!matched" means it's not a match.

It's been pretty quiet here lately (and understandably as nothing really has materialized yet)

But! That's about to change (I think), Right now I'm working on a present for you guys. Its an installer/package (which I call Katana) which takes all the work (even though there really isn't all that much) out of installing Callisto and AGPGart. Hopefully you'll find this to be as useful as I found it (it certainly comes in handy when I experiment with kexts and blast my system to smithereens).

Right now, I just need to work on the installer so that it plays nicely with the postinstall script. At this point in time the user has to manually enter the Device ID of the graphics card (it gives you the rundown if you're not sure), but I'm probably going to make an autodetection script in 0.2 provided my idea works. When I get the autodetection working, I'll post it here for everyones joy and delight.

scrav4.png

Edit: Success! Autodetection works (for me anyways) and I'll be posting a beta build tomorrow.

Fantastic! Can't wait to try it out. Does it work on the Jas 10.4.8 Reseed Intel SSE3 ? I have problem with AGPGart2.1 on my Radeon 9600 Pro AGP card. It stalled during startup at the Grey Apple and progress wheel screen. Wheel stopped spinning.

Really looking foreward to try it out. Which version of AGPGart2.1 are you going to be using?

Keep up the good work

helob - I'm not entirely certain that it will work on OS X 10.4.8, but I can't see why it wouldn't right away. If it doesn't you can always restore the backed up kexts in the KatanaBackup folder (in your Documents folder) to your Extensions folder.

You're most likely getting the apple because of the conflicts I found with the ATI kexts, AGPGart and Callisto. This is why I back them up and remove them. Try this, it may very well work for you.

The current build of Katana uses AGPGart 2.1t (see screenshot above :D)