Getting closer - An ATI graphics guide

captainsquash

353 posts in this topic

is there a way to get the radeon mobility 9000 to work?

it boots to the grey apple screen an than there are strange collord graphics. I dont eaven get to the apple registration.

is there a working driver? if yes pleas upload it agan because all the download links i saw in this tread dont work. and kould you give me a link how to install sutch a driver?.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, to all, hi captain...for you the question;)

well, i come back to try osx, now jas 10.4.8 8.8.1 semthex.

PIV 2,4Gz, SSE2

katana diag:

Test 1: Card Autodetection

10.4.6 Goatsecx-like install detected, proceeding

Autodetection successful.

Retrieved DeviceID: 5960

Retrieved VendorID: 1002

All tests passed.

info

Tipo: Pantalla

Bus: PCI

VRAM (total): 256 MB

Fabricante: ATI (0x1002)

ID del dispositivo: 0x5960

ID de la revisión: 0x0001

Pantallas:

Pantalla:

Resolución: 1024 x 768

Profundidad: Color de 32 bits

Core Image: Incompatible

Pantalla principal: Sí

Duplicado: Desactivado

En línea: Sí

Quartz Extreme: Incompatible

ok, my real graphic card ATI 9250 AGP 128 (no mobility)

i´ve downloaded katana.dmg, but now i don´t know if that will works with my card.

what dou you think about that?

thx.

i couldn´t wait and i installed katana.dmg, i think first version., works fine, better than before. but not quarz not core:

osx goes faster than before, but i still have the same problem:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xba1f1857

when i try to play some video from web or vlc player, it also happens if i turn on itunes visualizer, and application crashes., it was happening on 10.4.8 8.8.1, and seeing that katana works i decided to update to uphuck 10.4.9 v.1.3 - 8.9.1, and select callisto 008 on install setup. (thinking that the last version will be better...??¿)

first of all i have to say that updating to 10.4.9 deletes my osx user (that i´ve created on 10.4.8), i´ve to boot with install disc and setup the root password for my osx partition, boot again on 10.4.9 like root, ok. Calllisto driver seems to do anything, on system info card was detected like pci 256, in fact is AGP 128. then i remember captain again, and look for katana, ok that time i´ve download 2c version, and was fine, card was detected by system info like AGP (ok), but 256Mb, and i cant change resolution. Finally looked for katana 1.dmg, install it and now i have this:

Radeon 9200 Pro:

Chipset Model: Radeon 9200 Pro

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5960

Revision ID: 0x0001

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

and i have the same problem than before (KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS....), but now on 10.4.9 8.9.1.

ok,. after that.. any idea, is posible get 2d or 3d acceleration with my graphic card: ATI Radeon 9250 128 AGP, ok...it´s a {censored} of graphic card i know it... but...:D

and what about that error: kern_invalid, it happens always until i change the version of osx, the kernel, the graphic driver..., i´ve read on few forums that is posible a RAM problem..look to this and tell me if it´s normal: (the speed of RAM)

system info:

DIMM0:

Size: 512 MB

Type: DRAM

Speed: Unknown

DIMM1:

Size: 512 MB

Type: DRAM

Speed: Unknown

i finished here, sorry for the long post.

thx

• 1 month later...

I got everything working fine on my Mobility X600

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility X600 (M24) (PCIE)

Bus: PCIe

Device ID: 0x3150

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Core Image: Supported

Quartz Extreme: Supported

My Laptop: HP ZD8155ea (ZD8000 series)

OsX 10.4.8

every graphic intense application works, but my mouse pointer makes very nasty artificials.

I hope you have a solution for this, please :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone,

I've been doing MONTHS of research for getting QE/CI working on my mobility radeon 9000. At this point in time, I'm fairly confident that we can't get QE/CI working on anything lower than the 9550 (if I'm wrong please correct me).

Although I havn't gotten QE/CI working on my laptop, I've gotten pretty darn close. I've gotten it to the point where iTunes will render visualizations with very decent framerates, chess with no artifacts, etc. I'm not sure if any graphically intense applications (ex. Motion :) ) will work on this, but if anyone can get it going I'd love to hear.

Anyways, enough gibberish, lets get on with the guide.

Firstoff, go to Omni's Callisto project page

http://omni.starchaser.org/callisto/

I tried all the builds, but only build 003 worked for me. All other builds either didn't work or I got a very depressing black screen. If you don't feel like experimenting, I reccomend downloading build 003, it seems like it has the highest success rate.

After you download the Callisto build, extract it and open the installation file (html). Follow the steps in the walkthrough. After you've completed those steps you (should) be able to change your resolution.

Now lets get some 3d acceleration!

Download JaS's ATi driver by clicking the link below.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...post&id=678

r0ck3r4ever's guide for installing this driver was very good (which you can read below)

unzip the file

open terminal

do the following

sudo -s

enter your password

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/ATI*

cp -r /Users/YOUR USER NAME HERE/Desktop/Ati/build/Debug/Ati.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

then you're done!!!

reboot system

After that you should have decent 3d acceleration and a higher resolution with no mouse tearing or artifacts.

Again, if someone notices that I screwed something up, please don't hesitate to correct me.

Edit: Aperture runs OK (even w/o CI), a bit sluggish but very usable, also DVDs can play back using VLC (also a bit sluggish, but its a step in the right direction).

Hello!

Can you give a new download-link for the JaS ATi driver. This one is dead:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?ac...post&id=678

Also the CompaqX1000.zip link give no answer. Hope to answer. Best regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

at frist i must say, very great Driver for my Ati Mobility Radeon 9000. But it is possible, that i can't start with this driver the Adobe Creative Suite CS3, because the Suite needs the Quartz Engine? Or is this only for 3D an other things? THis is important for me, because all works fine on my Acer Travelmate 802, but the fact that i have an Radeon 9000 makes me angry. It did not start the Programs like Photoshop or Indesign.

Thx fpr your answer, sorry my bad english :(

KS

MY System:

Acer Travelmate 802 LMi

ATI Radeon 9000 64 MB

JAS Release MAC OSX86 10.4.6 with Combo Update to 10.4.8

Katana 2c Driver

I'm considerig to buy a x1650 PRO from Saphire.

Will it run with CI/QE ???

What should I do with de kexts?

I have the saphire agp x1650, and all I had to do was load the ati x1x00 driver that came in my 10.4.8 pf2 dvd. It works perfectly with quartz and rotation, however I DID have to go do a chmod -R 755 * and chown -R root:wheel * in the extensions dir.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I got everything working fine on my Mobility X600

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility X600 (M24) (PCIE)

Bus: PCIe

Device ID: 0x3150

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

My Laptop: HP ZD8155ea (ZD8000 series)

OsX 10.4.8

every graphic intense application works, but my mouse pointer makes very nasty artificials.

I hope you have a solution for this, please :censored2:

Care to share deatils? Have the same laptop, video not working :-/ using JaS 10.4.8

Tnx!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All :)

As you can see in my profile i'm the super noob :unsure:

I always have the problem that i have no 3D acceleration after installed OSX.

So my question is...what Hardware you recommend to have a full hardware 3D acceleration.

Atm i have a HIS ATI X1600 Pro and a MSI 1650 pro (crossfired).

I know they are both outdated...so i'm going for NVIDA 8800GT or a ATI HD3870.

Question is: what would match better to OSX ? It seems the NVIDIA 8800GT is already "standard hardware" in the new Macs and the NVIDIA 7300GT in older ones.

Would be so cool if i could play some Warcarft III, UT2004 or some EvE online on my Mac X = MAX ? ^^

BTW: I'm using Abit AW9D-Max (Intel 975X, ICH7), C2D E6600 @ 2997 Mhz and ATI X16XX series and of course some Nespresso xD

Everything goes well @ installation, but i cannot install any software which requires 3D acceleration. Even Toast 8 crashes to desktop after start.

Welll i would try to install the latest ATI X1XXX driver but there are almost only deadlinks in this topic.

BTW: is there no option to create a little "exe" like the .bat files on windows.

So there would be no need to type the commands manually...just click on the .bat which executes -done.

Would be cool if you would update the links + console commands (if needed) at the mainpage of this topic.

It is hard for "forum noobs" to find all the stuff or browse the right topics xD

thx

Sebastian

BTW: is there no option to create a little "exe" like the .bat files on windows.

So there would be no need to type the commands manually...just click on the .bat which executes -done.

thx

Sebastian

Yeah basically its a "shell script", same as any other Unix based system. If you google a noobie guide to shell scripting or howto, you should find some good instructions. Very similar concept to *.bat files, just a somewhat different language...

• 5 months later...

I use Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2

Intel M 1.7 SSE2

RAM 512

ATI Mobility 9000 64M (4c66)

everything working except my VGA Adeptor

I can't use 32bit color (Always show "Thousand")

although I tried to install driver

AGP 2.2, 2.4

ATi1Slice106

Katana 0.2c

computer always show 1076*768 16 bit (can't change to 32 bit color)

then I tried install "Callisto 0.3 Fixed" but it's not working with this driver

How can I solve this problem?

If I change my Leopard 10.5.2 to Tiger 10.4.x

Can I use 32bit color?

I really want to use OS X

Thankyou very much

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=21182

The above tutorial works GREAT for me (see 1st page/1st post)

I used Callisto_b006 on jas 10.4.8. DVD.

Installed clean with just intel sse2 support (i have amilo m 1425 pentium m centrino 1.8mhz), with ci/qe suport out of the box.

Chipset Model: Radeon Mobility 9600/9700 (M10/M11) NP

Bus: PCI

Device ID: 0x4e50

so I got

Resolution: 1280 x 800 @ 60 Hz

After trying all sorts of solution this simple one worked first shot (to the letter, followed all reebotings during the hack)

Bugs:

-my video card is on AGP (detected as PCI, don't think performane is afected..any clue ?)

-"about mac" the CPU shows just 600mhz (lowest clock step) , my former 10.4.5 shows my CPU corectly at 1.8 mhz... also dont see any impact on performance.

History:

Something similar worked perfect for 10.4.5 (dont know the distro) but with Callisto_b003fixed and without hex hack.

I hope this helps