ATI 6850

rschultz101

212 posts in this topic

If you have trouble installing Lion, you may try the kexts from the SN build shipping with the new laptops.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,72...65.html#msg4165

This may require an injector, contrarily to Lion. And there may be incompatibilities with other elements of 10.6 that might have been updated for the new Macbook pro graphics (openGL, etc).

But it's worth a try.

In ATI6000Controler.kext, there are device IDs for radeon HD 6970, 6870, 6850. Not for 6950.

+ other IDs perhaps corresponding to mobility cards (can't find them on the net).

If you have trouble installing Lion, you may try the kexts from the SN build shipping with the new laptops.

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,72...65.html#msg4165

This may require an injector, contrarily to Lion. And there may be incompatibilities with other elements of 10.6 that might have been updated for the new Macbook pro graphics (openGL, etc).

But it's worth a try.

In ATI6000Controler.kext, there are device IDs for radeon HD 6970, 6870, 6850. Not for 6950.

+ other IDs perhaps corresponding to mobility cards (can't find them on the net).

i have tried lion but it start slow as hell.. threw many error on some osx application. better stick with snow and hopefully better support for ati 6xxx series. without qe/ci works on ati 6xxxseries its pretty useless on snow. no luck using kext from lion :P especially radeon 6470m

i have tried lion but it start slow as hell.. threw many error on some osx application. better stick with snow and hopefully better support for ati 6xxx series. without qe/ci works on ati 6xxxseries its pretty useless on snow. no luck using kext from lion :P especially radeon 6470m

I got my 6850 working with QE/CI using the 10.6.6 kexts from the new MBP. I am using the DisplayPort. I get a KP if I connect the HDMI. (I have not tested whether the HDMI works on its own.) When I used the Lion kexts, both the DP and HDMI worked simultaneously, but I did not have QE/CI. See http://bit.ly/eqgJk9 for kexts.

I got my 6850 working with QE/CI using the 10.6.6 kexts from the new MBP. I am using the DisplayPort. I get a KP if I connect the HDMI. (I have not tested whether the HDMI works on its own.) When I used the Lion kexts, both the DP and HDMI worked simultaneously, but I did not have QE/CI. See http://bit.ly/eqgJk9 for kexts.

confused? is it new MBP shipped with lion (to get ur 6850 qe/ci). could u post it here? what bootloader/fb actually u use? i use anval/kably but no dice. stuck with 1024x768

thanks

confused? is it new MBP shipped with lion (to get ur 6850 qe/ci). could u post it here? what bootloader/fb actually u use? i use anval/kably but no dice. stuck with 1024x768

thanks

I meant that when I used the Lion ATI kexts with my 10.6.6 install, I got full res with both DP and HDMI connected simultaneously, but no QE/CI.

I removed the Lion kexts and installed the 10.6.6 ATI kexts from the latest MBP. I am running 10.6.6. Now I get full res and QE/CI, but only DP works. When I connect both DP and HDMI, I get a KP or a gray screen. Not a big deal for me since I'm only using DP.

I am using Andy's boot file in this post above and the kexts at http://bit.ly/eqgJk9.

I meant that when I used the Lion ATI kexts with my 10.6.6 install, I got full res with both DP and HDMI connected simultaneously, but no QE/CI.

I removed the Lion kexts and installed the 10.6.6 ATI kexts from the latest MBP. I am running 10.6.6. Now I get full res and QE/CI, but only DP works. When I connect both DP and HDMI, I get a KP or a gray screen. Not a big deal for me since I'm only using DP.

I am using Andy's boot file in this post above and the kexts at http://bit.ly/eqgJk9.

i cant download the kexts you mention (rapidshare phew :P ) could u attach the kexts verdi.

Guest ^Andy^

I've tested this with a 6870 and 5870 so far and both work 100% with no injectors or graphics enablers required. I suspect that it will also work for various other ATI Cards. :(

Guest ^Andy^

I've created an installer package if anybody is interested. ATI Graphics Update Package

It should install all of the new ATI Kexts and set the relevant permissions. Assuming it works properly the install procedure should now be..

1 - Disable your GraphicsEnabler (or delete any injector used)

2 - Run the package

3 - Reboot

4 - Stare at your nice shiney new accelerated desktop

I've tested this with a 6870 and 5870 so far and both work 100% with no injectors or graphics enablers required. I suspect that it will also work for various other ATI Cards. :thumbsup_anim:

By 100% do you mean all connectors? Because on Macs, the new drivers seem to have broken display port on (flashed) PC radeon 5870/5770.

Thx for the installer. Are the drivers from Lion or the new laptops?

Guest ^Andy^
By 100% do you mean all connectors? Because on Macs, the new drivers seem to have broken display port on (flashed) PC radeon 5870/5770.

Thx for the installer. Are the drivers from Lion or the new laptops?

The drivers are from the new 2011 mbp. I can't comment on the display port or mini display ports as my monitor has neither unfortunately.

I've created an installer package if anybody is interested. ATI Graphics Update Package

It should install all of the new ATI Kexts and set the relevant permissions. Assuming it works properly the install procedure should now be..

1 - Disable your GraphicsEnabler (or delete any injector used)

2 - Run the package

3 - Reboot

4 - Stare at your nice shiney new accelerated desktop

Great work Andy. I tried last night to perform the steps you initially wrote in the 6xxx thread to no avail, then just tried your ATI Graphics updater package. From what I can tell, the device ID 6719 is not in the ATI6000 kext causing my 6950 to not load any kexts for the graphics card. I tried simply changing the existing 67181002 definition in the Info.plist of the ATI6000 kext to 67191002, but that simply causes a blue screen at boot. I have the following in my boot.plist file:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>GraphicsEnabler=No -v arch=x86_32</string>

Any ideas on how to get a 6950 card up and running is greatly appreciated.

Guest ^Andy^
Will flashing to a 6970 bios do the trick or will that not change the device id?

I don't think it changes the device id but i'm not 100% on that. The 6950's have a backup bios just like the 6970's right? so you could try using RBE to see if you can edit the device id in the bios?

I don't think it changes the device id but i'm not 100% on that. The 6950's have a backup bios just like the 6970's right? so you could try using RBE to see if you can edit the device id in the bios?

That's exactly the path I have stumbled down, though from what I have read it doesn't sound promising. I will report back on how it goes.

As for oob 6950 support, it looks like the 6719 device id is in the ATI3000 kext. I'm guessing we need an updated framebuffer for the card. That's probably the reason I am getting that locked blue screen at boot when I modified the Info.plist in the ATI3000 kext.

EDIT:

Yep, no love sadly. As we both suspected, the device id remains the same. Looks like I am stuck for now. If the framebuffer is the issue, that is beyond my understanding.

what did you do??

flash the 6970 bios or change de ID with RBE?

Both methods actually. I first tried flashing to a 6970 then I tried modifying my original 6950 bios with RBE. Neither changes the device id. I assume it must be protected.

Guest ^Andy^
Both methods actually. I first tried flashing to a 6970 then I tried modifying my original 6950 bios with RBE. Neither changes the device id. I assume it must be protected.

Which version of RBE did you use?

Guest ^Andy^

Loaded up my original bios, changed the device to 6970, saved the bios, flashed using atiwin.

Can you check in Windows device manager to see if the device id has actually changed?

Thinking about it you may be pissing into the wind on this one because reading back over some of rominators thorough testing with a 6900 series card doesn't look like either the 6950 or 6970 are working at this point. It looks as though they have partial drivers much like the 6800 series cards had partial drivers in 10.6.6. The missing piece may turn up in a later update though.

There are problems with radeon HD 69XX. The 6950 isn't references in the controller, but even the 6970 doesn't work properly (tested by Rominator).

It's unclear what frame buffer is used by 6XXX cards on a Mac Pro, maybe you guys can figure this out.

Can you check in Windows device manager to see if the device id has actually changed?

Thinking about it you may be pissing into the wind on this one because reading back over some of rominators thorough testing with a 6900 series card doesn't look like either the 6950 or 6970 are working at this point. It looks as though they have partial drivers much like the 6800 series cards had partial drivers in 10.6.6. The missing piece may turn up in a later update though.

Yea windows reports the device id unchanged as well.

As you and jeanlain said, the 69xx cards aren't playing nicely yet. My apologies for writing in the 6850 thread, I apparently haven't learned to read, as I just noticed that it doesn't say 6950. Win.

I just read through the thread where rominator went over the tests and configurations he tried. It sounds like they are quite similar to what I am seeing. I initially thought people had the 6970 working at least, until then I guess we are hosed. I'd be happy for now if I could just get a native 2500x resolution going, even without acceleration.