Chameleon RC5 mode with mem detection enabled and automatic P-States & C-States generation for native power managment

kozlek

1,214 posts in this topic

Anyone working on Ext4 drive detection & boot? Anyone know anything about that? Got any ideas, leads?

Sorry, I know it's a little off topic, but this seems like one of the best places to get an answer from the heroes who are actually working on that software ;)

Thanks!

(It would be great to be able to boot into Ubuntu without having to call the BIOS bootloader... I didn't realize for a while that those partitions are completely disregarded by Chameleon.)

Unofficial installer

Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r498

Chameleon_v2.0_RC5_r498.zip

this installer activates the selected target partition. (for MBR and hybrid MBR dual boot)

Changes

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...e/changes/HEAD/

So if I understand correctly, the P and C states changes in this installer are not reflected in the official Chameleon release from the voodooprojects site?

So if I understand correctly, the P and C states changes in this installer are not reflected in the official Chameleon release from the voodooprojects site?

The installer has binaries compiled from svn trunk. The official Chameleon already includes the changes introduced in this topic by Mozodojo.

The mem detection, doesn't work.

The c2rc5 that I tried was Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r518.zip.

With AsereBLN works like a charm...

I need to configure something in order to make it works?

Thanks.

Same problem with r530.

The mem detection doesn't work. Someone could help me?

Thanks.

Same problem with r530.

Thanks.

I think you're using Chameleon compiled from the Azimutz branch, rev. 530, so you're missing the Memory detection module activation via key...

You can read more here about the newly added modules in the Azimutz branch

Short quote from the above mentioned docs:

(rev 526)
Change: Added Memory detection module. Also needs no intro...
Working properly with my controler:
Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub [8086:2770] (rev 02)

Note: latest changes need a call for ATTENTION; the bootloader install procedure is gaining new steps! So far, we were just playing with KernelPatcher module, which most people don't use. Check Modules.txt for info on installing modules.

I think you're using the Chameleon compiled from the Azimutz branch, rev. 530, so you're missing the Memory detection module activation via key...

I don't know if it's Azimutz or not...

I downloaded here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1075&st=100

I am not sure, but anyway is enabled by default.

So is not working, and AsereBLN works, so someone made any mistake...

Same problem with r530.

Thanks.

Memory detection is enabled by default in the modules revisions as well.

The memory detection code by Mozodojo and others is different from Asere's in that it only detects the default speed, not what it's been changed to by adjusting the memory multiplier aor base clock in BIOS.

Asere didn't post his source code, so we don't know for certain how he detected actual speed.

I don't know if it's Azimutz or not...

I downloaded here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...1075&st=100

I am not sure, but anyway is enabled by default.

So is not working, and AsereBLN works, so someone made any mistake...

ed_co,

even i am confused with all these "supposed" revisions of Chameleon running around :lol:

I already alerted people for the situation here on this topic and i'm not going to do it again!

If you want "me" to be sure you're using Chameleon (compiled from the trunk), head over VoodooForums, check my profile, use the package on my signature and please read!!

That package is Chameleon (trunk) not my branch! I don't supply pre-compiled binaries of my branch!

If you don't get memory detection with that package, then we can start blaming Chameleon... or your mobo :P

Memory detection is enabled by default in the modules revisions as well.

The memory detection code by Mozodojo and others is different from Asere's in that it only detects the default speed, not what it's been changed to by adjusting the memory multiplier aor base clock in BIOS.

Asere didn't post his source code, so we don't know for certain how he detected actual speed.

Memory detection code is not mine. It's Rekursor's © code. :P

Memory detection code is not mine. It's Rekursor's © code. :)

The spd mem detection code is totally mine and original code indeed (created on a crazy night&day week end development effort) :(

BUT The pci chipset detection that then permits to get supposedly accurate mem speed (included overclocked) is originally code from bs0d that in turn was based on gpl'd code ...

Both are used, and should give good results when the pci chipset detection can match one the the known ones.

Now what can happen is that oc speed could not be detected correctly because this pci detection addon does not handle it, then we rely on what we can: spd if available, SMBIOS if nothing else is usable.

Another thing that could happen is that the rounding as well as the freq multiplicators to get this oc mem speed is not mature enough for few particular cases.

Finally, I also observed that in rare cases a bad oc mem detection could be due indirectly to a bad cpu speed detection.

As mem speed also depends on cpu speed, it can be an issue in few (rare) cases.

-Rek

Finally, I also observed that in rare cases a bad oc mem detection could be due indirectly to a bad cpu speed detection.

-Rek

Yep i'm afraid my Travelmate 5720 laptop is one of those cases..Memory speed is detected and then it hangs there indefinitely..any way I can disable it? Unfortunately RC4 was the last one that ever worked on my machine..

Edit: Minor correction, my memory is not oc'ed..

TO DEVs:

I readout my NVCAP (hex values about the gpu output devices dvi,vga,...) with NVCAPMaker.

Its little difference to the fixed NVCAP values for nvidia graphicsenabler.

Maybe no problem, but i have often (after sleep) the problem now that my screen gets blue after wakeup.

Before (using little different NVCAPMaker NVCAP values in dsdt.dsl) i didnt had that problem.

Would it be possible to add an NVCAPoverwrite entry to usw own (fitting) NVCAP value ?

NVCAP Maker reads out the NVCAP from the GPU BIOS - you only need an ROM file for usage.

ROM file: /Volumes/TEMP_1/9600.ROM (you may get own rom without readout by nvflash here: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1

Copyright 2008 Arti Itra version 1.4

If you find this program useful you

may consider a PayPal donation to:

arti.macelite@gmail.com

04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000

My NVCAPMaker nvcap= 04 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 0c 0000000000000700000000

chameleon grapcisenabler (fixed NVCAP code for all NVs, diff to mine 9600GT marked bold)

static uint8_t default_NVCAP[]= {

0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0d, 0x00,

0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x0a,

0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

};

NVCAP_Maker_14.zip

ed_co,

even i am confused with all these "supposed" revisions of Chameleon running around :P

I already alerted people for the situation here on this topic and i'm not going to do it again!

If you want "me" to be sure you're using Chameleon (compiled from the trunk), head over VoodooForums, check my profile, use the package on my signature and please read!!

That package is Chameleon (trunk) not my branch! I don't supply pre-compiled binaries of my branch!

If you don't get memory detection with that package, then we can start blaming Chameleon... or your mobo ;)

Same behaviour.

And yes, I have an overclock, changing the bus speed from 133 to 166, but if I disable that, doesn't recognize the mem as well.

And if works well with AsereBLN boot loader means that my motherboard is not the problem.

Cheers.

The spd mem detection code is totally mine and original code indeed (created on a crazy night&day week end development effort) ;)

BUT The pci chipset detection that then permits to get supposedly accurate mem speed (included overclocked) is originally code from bs0d that in turn was based on gpl'd code ...

Both are used, and should give good results when the pci chipset detection can match one the the known ones.

Now what can happen is that oc speed could not be detected correctly because this pci detection addon does not handle it, then we rely on what we can: spd if available, SMBIOS if nothing else is usable.

Another thing that could happen is that the rounding as well as the freq multiplicators to get this oc mem speed is not mature enough for few particular cases.

-Rek

I could test a debug version to see why actual speed memory detection doesn't work on X58.

Here's trunk r384's bdmesg;

msr(204): platform_info 00011402

msr(207): flex_ratio 00000000

CPU: Vendor/Model/ExtModel: 0x756e6547/0x1a/0x1

CPU: Family/ExtFamily: 0x6/0x0

CPU: MaxCoef/CurrCoef: 0x0/0x14

CPU: MaxDiv/CurrDiv: 0x0/0x0

CPU: TSCFreq: 4100MHz

CPU: FSBFreq: 205MHz

CPU: CPUFreq: 4100MHz

CPU: NoCores/NoThreads: 8/16

CPU: Features: 0x000002ff

Update:

I'll test r517 and open an issue on voodooprojects if it's still an issue.

Same behaviour.

And yes, I have an overclock, changing the bus speed from 133 to 166, but if I disable that, doesn't recognize the mem as well.

And if works well with AsereBLN boot loader means that my motherboard is not the problem.

Cheers.

Ok... the mobo thing was just kidding :) but, we can always blame some mobos of having crappy implementations, even the most recent ones. And sometimes bad Bios updates; some are well known to cause more harm than good!

MemDetection seems to need more work, as many other things on Chameleon; with time will be done, i believe.

can someone help me out with an application to monitor throttling p-states...

i used voodoomonitor but somehow the download on official site is gone.

What app can you recommend to test speedstep is working right.

Indeed an good question.

Coolbooks shows that, BUT has its "own" Pstates, means not usable to check chameleon/voodoo generated pstates.

In the past i used MSR Tool, but that stopped working since i run in 64 Bit.

Woudl be great if someone could make an new (64 Bit able) simple MHZ/VID(Volt) monitoring tool.

Indeed an good question.

Coolbooks shows that, BUT has its "own" Pstates, means not usable to check chameleon/voodoo generated pstates.

In the past i used MSR Tool, but that stopped working since i run in 64 Bit.

Woudl be great if someone could make an new (64 Bit able) simple MHZ/VID(Volt) monitoring tool.

The mark-i application can be used in both 32 and 64 bit, see post 692;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...6771&st=691

Would it be possible to add an NVCAPoverwrite entry to usw own (fitting) NVCAP value ?

Hey Mitch_de,

did you ever got to try the NVCAP key on the booter?

Edit: link to Asere's booter topic; check "Update Version 1.1.9" on first post.

Edited by Azimutz

Thanks for this mod. hopefully people know that they need to use msr tools or coolbook in 64bit to monitor the changes in cpu speed (ie. if you were previously using cpu-x + voodoopower) and also that they need to use the correct macmodel in smbios to enable speedstep. ie. for a standard intel c2d 7xxx laptop you could use MacBookPro5,1

lizard.app has most of the main models to choose from. newer machines may require a different macmodel as lizard does not contain a list of all the latest models!

hope that makes sense!