Merom, Conroe Shipping

Swad

25 posts in this topic

In the wake of a gloomy earnings forecast, Intel Corp. this week said it has commenced shipments of both Conroe and Merom, its new Core 2 Duo dual-core microprocessors for desktop and notebook systems.

During its earnings report on Wednesday, the world's largest chip maker said it quietly pushed the first shipments of its Core 2 Duo desktop processor out the door last quarter, ahead of its formal launch on July 27.

"The mobile PC version of the Intel Core 2 Duo processor is also shipping now, one month ahead of schedule," the company wrote in a set of presentation slides.

Indeed, a report from overseas this week had suggested that Intel would advance the releases of Merom to coincide with Conroe in late July. Intel has scheduled the official launch for both chips for next Thursday.

Intel hopes the new lines of dual- and quad-core chips will help stem market share gains by AMD and aid its bleeding shares, which have lost about a third of their value in the last 12 months.

Apple Computer, which recently switched its Mac line to Intel chips, is likely to adopt Conroe and Merom Core 2 Duo processors in future revisions of its desktop and notebook computers.

Apple's MacBook Pro notebooks currently employ Intel's Yonah Core Duo processors. Since Merom was designed to be backwards compatible with Yonah platforms, Apple's first move could come in the form of an abrupt boost to its professional laptop line.

AppleInsider

What are your bets for the ETNM (Estimated Time to New Mac)?

Maybe at WWDC 2006.. Steve Jobs could compare the performance gains between the old MacBooks and the nextGEN Core 2 processor.. coz thats the time Apple wud start shipping the Core2 based MAC's..

By the way Apple is a very quick adaptor of new processors... and gets them as early as possible..

Remember same thing hapenned in Jan 06, when Apple revealed their line of Intel based Macs..with the all new Core Duo processors, which were not shipped to the mainstream at the first..

Apple does things differently and wants the latest of the time in their Macs.. no matter how much they charge for it to the customer.. :P

I also agree with WWDC, I don't think Apple will wait to put these into new Macs because they didn't wait to release Core Duo Macs. Core Duos released on January 5 and Intel Macs announced January 10. So WWDC seems obvious for this announcement. Hopefully they're released not much later either.

Yeah I have to build my fiance a new PC so I am waiting on some Conroe chips. :) The 965 chipset motherboards are out already at least and seem reasonably priced.

As for me, I'm just crossing my fingers on Merom in a new MBP @ the WWDC.

Is the ICH8R southbridge of 965 chipsets supported by OSX86 ?

Yeah I have to build my fiance a new PC so I am waiting on some Conroe chips. :) The 965 chipset motherboards are out already at least and seem reasonably priced.

As for me, I'm just crossing my fingers on Merom in a new MBP @ the WWDC.

Is the ICH8R southbridge of 965 chipsets supported by OSX86 ?

I doubt it is, out of the box. But with a plist edit it should be. Obviously if anything with 965 chips shows up at the WWDC then 10.4.8 or whatever would have the proper plists. :) 975x is probably safer due to ICH7 if someone wants to run OS X.

I thought so..., pity that the Asus P5W 975x mobo is so darn expensive.

I doubt it is, out of the box. But with a plist edit it should be. Obviously if anything with 965 chips at the WWDC then 10.4.8 or whatever would have the proper plists. :) 975x is probably safer due to ICH7 if someone wants to run OS X.

So do you think they will go into both Macbooks and Macbook Pros? They use the same technology, I'm sure if they held back on the macbooks, it would be just to emphasize the difference b/t a MBP and a MB. I need a new laptop for college and can only afford an MB so I certainlyh hope that WWDC will give me the chance to get a shiny new black macbook with merom.

So do you think they will go into both Macbooks and Macbook Pros? They use the same technology, I'm sure if they held back on the macbooks, it would be just to emphasize the difference b/t a MBP and a MB. I need a new laptop for college and can only afford an MB so I certainlyh hope that WWDC will give me the chance to get a shiny new black macbook with merom.

My thoughts exactly... I hope beyond all reason that he Merom chips make their way into the MacBooks at the same time. It seems that would be in line with Apple's history, trying use the latest and greatest technology. I would find it a bit odd if they stuck with Yonahs for the MacBook and Meroms for the Pro... Also looking for ward to the new intel integrated graphics that is comming soon (or maybe it isnt until next year with the Santa Rosa platform)

I think they will put merom in the macbook pros and wait for santa rosa to upgrade macbooks. So they will have the GMA3000 and such. I don't think it's worth the effort to integrate meroms on current napa (with GMA950) so that in 2 months they will totally upgrade to crestline.

I'm in the same boat as you guys, bit I'm waiting for the GMA3000. At least I would have a run at Aero :D and also hope for 802.11n and kedron. That's too many things to miss for 2 months of non-waiting :)

im so glad

so where can we buy the merom from?

Today is the 'merom release day' or whatever. Should be tons of info about it all over the web soon.

As for when you can buy one... Wait a bit, but they should be at places like zipzoomfly and newegg by the end of August. They've just been announced, they aren't really shipping yet. Fits in with MBP fine though...for sale after WWDC keynote, shipping end of August? :D

Mash -

I grabbed the article from my local hardware information site tweakers.net (it's dutch), it seems that those guys got an engineering sample and played a little more with it. Just like all those hardware site's where the reviews of Conroe's are numerous.

Well my ETNM is probably never.

1st: there's the {censored}-up of the mac mini. First they advertise: "Why buy a cheap pc with slow onboard video when there's a Mac Mini with a REAL videocard with its own memory"; and then they release a mac mini with, yeps you guessed it, onboard video.

2nd: The {censored} up of all the Macbook (pro) systems and the iPod nano fiasco. Sure proclaiming that you are a "hardware developer" and then releasing badly assembled computers and substandard mediadevices with premium price tags, is certainly gonna win over all those PC users :-(

3rd: Apple's way of dealing with problems. They don't solve matters, they just keep shut... untill too many customers draw too much attention to these problems. Even then they peform minimal solutions. This means only one thing: they're more affraid of their shareholders then their consumers. Which is never a good way for consumers.

Naah Apple is way to hypocrite to be trusted. The OS might be good now but it's obvious this can change overnight.

I'll stick with the HackIntosh. Untill Apple has proven to be trustworthy again.

And if this HackIntosh is going to be problematic then I'll stop advertising Mac's to friends and family. As some friends have recently thanks to my advice bought genuine Apple-systems.

Regards,

EPDM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...