Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

We need to make IntelHD work, even if we will use only discrete graphics card. LCD screen of laptop and even hdmi-out (not sure about VGA) are attached to Intel graphics - not Nvidia. And even if Nvidia chip is main in Windows 7 - output still goes through Intel chip. I think that IntelFramebuffer is used for output even if Nvidia acceleration kexts are loaded and processing 3D. Need to check that on real MBP.

Do you happen to own a real MacBookPro like I do? If you do. Make a bootable USB stick with Revolution on it and strip all Intel drivers. If not do this at your local Apple/Mac store and come back when you know something.

::EDIT:: Real MBP has 2 (TWO) multiplexes - 1 for each GPU, and MacOS is switching wich to use, so when Nvidia GPU is used, it uses it's own Framebuffer. But according to official whitepapers, Optimus laptops have only one multiplex (it's cheaper, but depend on special Windows 7 frameworks), so if MacOS will switch to Nvidia GPU - we will see black screen or broken output. So Optimus for now is only a dream. The only way is to turn IGP on. It is hardware problem, hacking won't help, IMHO. And then we can try to have CUDA driver installed, but not Nvidia display driver ;)

So now not only integrated GPU users are waiting, but also all "lucky" Optimus-enabled laptops users.

In that case you know the address of both of them, do you? I mean I can only locate one in my MacBookPro so I really, really wonder where you got the idea from. Facts please gentlemen. There's no room for "I thinks" here.

I just wanted to share some info. You seem to know more about patching, cracking and all that stuff. May I ask you, what mac do you have? And if it's one of new Mc37x can you share your drivers stripped like you said. And share with us. Or maybe you can tell to what GPU is internal screen connected when each Gpu is selected. I doubt it's always connected to IntelHd, and never to nvidia.

Just read this using translator - http://habrahabr.ru/blogs/apple/91175/

and I have read Optimus whitepapers, google it for detailed info.

I just wanted to share some info. You seem to know more about patching, cracking and all that stuff. May I ask you, what mac do you have?

I myself have a new iMac and an older MacBookPro6,1 but my sister got a new MacBookPro just recently. There's also lots of people at school I share info with.

And if it's one of new Mc37x can you share your drivers stripped like you said. And share with us.

Sorry. I cannot share Apple copyright protected material or infringe on Apple's rights in any way shape or form (my father works for Apple).

Or maybe you can tell to what GPU is internal screen connected when each Gpu is selected. I doubt it's always connected to IntelHd, and never to nvidia.

This I can show you:

http://www.dumpt.com/img/viewer.php?file=5...lts57y729iu.png

Satisfied?

Just read this using translator...and I have read Optimus whitepapers, google it for detailed info.

Maybe later when I have more free time on my hands.

I found a way to disable the Intel graphics, by accident, after delete the AppleIntelHD*.kexts and having a video mode specified (in com.apple.Boot.plist) greater than the supported 1024 * 768 * 32 resolution, making it say: IGPU Unusable in kernel.log and switch to the PCI-E video (in my case the ATI card).

This can work for laptop with nvidia optimus? Has anyone tried? If it works, we can use gfxCardStatus software for control it?

--ADDED--

What if we have different video bioses in PC CPUs and MacBook. I tried to save my VBIOS of Intel GPU through GPU-Z, but unfortunately it didn't work. But still is gave the version - I've made a screenshot - it says PC after vbios version. Can't this be the problem?

Intel VBIOS is actually integrated in the BIOS, this means that if you want to change the VBIOS you add to extract your bios and change the part refering to the video card yourself, you have tools and procedure available at intel website btu iirc it's very hazardous procedure, as the intel BIOS is choosen by the BIOS provider to work with the other component in the card but perhaps you're right and it's the way.

Edit:

I just found you can retrieve your vbios with RadeonPCI.kext so maybe it's also possible to inject it.

so..when combo update installs the 2 Intel HD Graphic kext the pc enter in KP

During the Kp the message talks about 3 dipendences with these kexts:

IOPCIfamily.kext

IOGraphicsfamily.kext

IONDRVsupport.kext

i tryed to install these text in SLE but no success.. kernel panic about ACPI stuff....

my installation is Iaktos S3 (in my opinion the easiest way to play Mac in my NB)

i don know if the kext installation mode i did was right... but someone can know it!

I hope my little idea can help you for our target.

PS

I tried to use Graphics mode flag to set my native resolution but no success...

how can i do for change it?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

i have an intel hd graphics i dont' know the number i see here in the title it says x5700, but mine is only intel hd

i also got nvidia m310 gt218. i've been reading that it's impossible because there is 2 graphic cards inside.

so i was walking in the mall yesterday and i went inside apple store to check out apple macbook pros. i check the most expansive one. and looked inside the info for graphic/display and i see 2 cards one intelHD and one nvidia m330.

now my nvidia seems to be loading but the nvidia is set to help in 3d images and not for first display which gives the screen resolution. so nvidia will never take over. when i install the intelhdgraphickexts including the intelhdgraphicfb, they fire up but when it boots in i get the black screen. so i dont' see anything but i can shut down by pressing the power button and enter or space. the laptop shuts down. which tells me the kexts are loading.

so since the 2 graphic card is supported in new macbook pro is there anyway to go around this blackscreen issue? i know it's a very hard thing to fix. but i'm hopping that someone with experience can jump in to this challenge and help us.

thank you for reading, good luck.

What about the intel drivers from lion? This may be nutters but someone tell me if I'm wrong. The device ID that are Intel drivers are located in the Kext?

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x00448086 0x00468086</string>

In that case one of the device ID's is 8086-0046? Correct? If so that matched what my Lenovo X201T is telling me in GPU-Z as the device ID.

From that logic it should technically work with QE and whatnot? If this is the case I'll try and install Snow Leopard with the Lion's kext's instead. Since no one has solved Lion's boot issue (I even installed to an external drive with my imac and installed chameleon on it then tried on the tablet, no go!)

*Update*

Comparing the latest SL to Lion I get both having under intel HD the "gen 575" but now there is a "Gen 6" too...

With Lion's drivers I have booth (framebuffer and accelerator) loaded, but accelerator seems to be incomplete because there's no AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle on Lion's extensions folder.

How did you get the framebuffer and accelerators to load? I tried (simply put all intel kext's besides CPU scaling ones over on Snow Leopard) and none of them load...

can someone upload the drivers from lion? thanks..

can someone upload the drivers from lion? thanks..

I'd love to but it's prerelease software so it's to much of a grey area for me :( I bet someone else will soon enough.

With Lion's drivers I have booth (framebuffer and accelerator) loaded, but accelerator seems to be incomplete because there's no AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle on Lion's extensions folder.

The GL bundle is in Essentials pkg.

How did you get the framebuffer and accelerators to load? I tried (simply put all intel kext's besides CPU scaling ones over on Snow Leopard) and none of them load...

I just put them in the extensions folder and they loaded, but get stuck on a black screen and I can only see my desktop through VNC