Intel HD Graphics / GMA 5700

sockerkid

1,324 posts in this topic

Apple to tap Intel's graphics for future MacBooks

Apple has decided to use Intel's upcoming Sandy Bridge processors in its MacBook line, a transition that will occur in 2011, squeezing out Nvidia's graphics processors in at least some models of the popular laptops, sources have told CNET.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20023505-64.html

gooooood

Apple to tap Intel's graphics for future MacBooks

Apple has decided to use Intel's upcoming Sandy Bridge processors in its MacBook line, a transition that will occur in 2011, squeezing out Nvidia's graphics processors in at least some models of the popular laptops, sources have told CNET.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20023505-64.html

Could be good news, but isn't this article about a new series of intel processors where the Graphics and Processor chips are in the same die? This is as opposed to the processors such as the core i3-3xxM which have the two separate die modules on the same processor PCB (I thought these GPUs were what we had the trouble with).

Could be good news, but isn't this article about a new series of intel processors where the Graphics and Processor chips are in the same die? This is as opposed to the processors such as the core i3-3xxM which have the two separate die modules on the same processor PCB (I thought these GPUs were what we had the trouble with).

Yeah that article doesn't pertain to us, different architecture.

• 2 weeks later...

so can anyone tell me if they can get anything beyond 10.6.0 to boot? I can get snow leopard on my core i3 370m toshiba satellite c655 using a retail SL and the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] plus [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but if I attempt to update anything or use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] it locks up at the restart screen. Any ideas?

For those with the black screen problem, do you get sound? Try installing the screen sleeper screen fix from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=134510

FYI, it turns off and on your screen at login, logout, and updating every ten-ish seconds so it's something you have to, unfortunately, deal with. I'm not sure if there's an uninstaller so proceed with caution.

I found a way to disable the Intel graphics, by accident, after delete the AppleIntelHD*.kexts and having a video mode specified (in com.apple.Boot.plist) greater than the supported 1024 * 768 * 32 resolution, making it say: IGPU Unusable in kernel.log and switch to the PCI-E video (in my case the ATI card).

I wonder if it may work with Nvidia Optimus technology.

Someone with nvidia optimus can try?

Doing so right now. Will report in 2 mins.

:EDIT:

Nvdanv50 loaded and registered

Still no correct video output, using gt 330m, stuck at 1280x800, as specified in com.apple.boot.plist

I found a way to disable the Intel graphics, by accident, after delete the AppleIntelHD*.kexts and having a video mode specified (in com.apple.Boot.plist) greater than the supported 1024 * 768 * 32 resolution, making it say: IGPU Unusable in kernel.log and switch to the PCI-E video (in my case the ATI card).

Would it work the other way around too? I mean fake it that the descrete video card is not functioning properly so that the kext won't switch to it?

(I only have Intel HD graphics here)

Doing so right now. Will report in 2 mins.

:EDIT:

Nvdanv50 loaded and registered

Still no correct video output, using gt 330m, stuck at 1280x800, as specified in com.apple.boot.plist

Do you get (full) QE?

Also what version are you using? 10.6.5?

Could you post a screenshot?

Thanks!

Do you get (full) QE?

Also what version are you using? 10.6.5?

Could you post a screenshot?

Thanks!

I don't think that would be necassary.. No QE/CI or anything fancy.

I do run version 10.6.5, and the nvidia kext was loaded anyway, but can't do anything with the graphics card. the resolution comes from the boot plist via GraphicsMode.

In your Graphics adapter list (About your Mac), do you have two or one GPU's?

Maybe you have to enable GrapicEnabler=Y, inject vbios, and make an EFI string?

Please give me more info, hope to install os x today...

Thanks!

We need to make IntelHD work, even if we will use only discrete graphics card. LCD screen of laptop and even hdmi-out (not sure about VGA) are attached to Intel graphics - not Nvidia. And even if Nvidia chip is main in Windows 7 - output still goes through Intel chip. I think that IntelFramebuffer is used for output even if Nvidia acceleration kexts are loaded and processing 3D. Need to check that on real MBP.

::EDIT::

Real MBP has 2 (TWO) multiplexes - 1 for each GPU, and MacOS is switching wich to use, so when Nvidia GPU is used, it uses it's own Framebuffer. But according to official whitepapers, Optimus laptops have only one multiplex (it's cheaper, but depend on special Windows 7 frameworks), so if MacOS will switch to Nvidia GPU - we will see black screen or broken output. So Optimus for now is only a dream. The only way is to turn IGP on. It is hardware problem, hacking won't help, IMHO. And then we can try to have CUDA driver installed, but not Nvidia display driver :(

So now not only integrated GPU users are waiting, but also all "lucky" Optimus-enabled laptops users.

OK guys, 10.6.6 is out! http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1349

I know some one said "I guess we will have to wait for 10.6.6"

Hopefully this will help with the Intel Kext.

It included very little fixes, I don't believe the GMA kexts were even changed. Either way, I have it installed and there are no changes at all that I noticed.

I think, maybe Intel GPU and Framebuffer is started only after efi/dsdt switch procedure, and that is why we can't make it work, maybe we need to emulate that switch. I found on Ubuntu forums that PS3 method of PEG defice is responsible for switching grafics. DSDT is the key IMHO. I will try reinstall MacOS with Optimus disabled in BIOS after I recieve my WiFi card today. Maybe in will help to run IntelHD graphics.

And no... we are not making any progress :) Nope. Not at all :)

You DID get native resolution on your HP G72. This IS the start. I wish I could get at least native res on my Lenovo V560.

--ADDED--

What if we have different video bioses in PC CPUs and MacBook. I tried to save my VBIOS of Intel GPU through GPU-Z, but unfortunately it didn't work. But still is gave the version - I've made a screenshot - it says PC after vbios version. Can't this be the problem?

post-237892-1294561821_thumb.png