[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Please try this new legacy kext file (R3).

http://www.mediafire.com/?64gh4tfndidru74

1) Install IDT92HD75B3_106.kext to Extra folder.

2) Use AppleHDA.kext file from R2 package.

With this legacy kext, when plugged in external mic or line-in jack, "Internal Microphone" will change to "Line-In". Both external microphone & line-in should work.

Hi Kizwan.

Yes, with r3 the microphone port switches to line when plugged in.

Headphones do not play and plugging in does not mute the speakers now though.

Hope this helps.

Greetings Paul

Yes, with r3 the microphone port switches to line when plugged in.

Headphones do not play and plugging in does not mute the speakers now though.

Thank you for testing. Can you confirmed both internal & external microphone works now? As for the headphone I just add MuteGPIO=0 to Headphone & LineOut in R3. In codec dump, external output is labeled as LineOut. So, I think I need to remove Headphone entry in pathmap. I'll post another kext for you to test. For the time being, please check in windows, when plugged in the headphone, does it ask you (popup window) what device it is?

Thank you for testing. Can you confirmed both internal & external microphone works now? As for the headphone I just add MuteGPIO=0 to Headphone & LineOut in R3. In codec dump, external output is labeled as LineOut. So, I think I need to remove Headphone entry in pathmap. I'll post another kext for you to test. For the time being, please check in windows, when plugged in the headphone, does it ask you (popup window) what device it is?

Hi Kizwan.

I´m gratefull that i can be of any help.

I can confirm on the external mic and the line in...they both work and get signal. :-)

I get no pop up in windows when connecting headphones.

greetings

Dragonsoul

@Dragonsoul81 & everyone,

This is audio kexts (R2) for IDT92HD75B3. Please test & let me know the result.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gvtwgxl83icbff8

2) Install AppleHDA.kext file in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. Please backup existing file.

Please ignore "sound assertion 0 == pcivendorProductid failed" error messages because it doesn't prevent the audio from working. We don't need/use it. Please test the auto-switch feature between internal speaker & HP, also between internal & external mic. Based on the codec dump, the external mic & line-in shared one jack port. If when plugged in the external mic, it doesn't change from "Internal Microphone" to "External Microphone", we will need to change the external mic to line-in in codec verbs (ConfigData).

Thank you. :)

Please try both legacy kexts files (R4 & R5).

R4: http://www.mediafire.com/?hij74h7q98jc3yp : LineOut with MuteGPIO=0

R5: http://www.mediafire.com/?f7ks3soniui0nzc : LineOut without MuteGPIO

2) Use AppleHDA.kext file from R2 package.

Please test both kexts & let me know the results. :angel:

UPDATE: R3 driver works.

Hello!! Kizwan

1. If you use this pinkonfig, you need to delete HP, only Line Out

nid 10 0x40f100f0 as 15 seq 0 Other None jack 1 loc 0 color Unknown misc 0 [DISABLED]

2. for 24 nodes need to be used bust 1,2,3 any of them. to enhance

3. Amp is for the node 28 and 29, not for 18 and 19

363E_codec_dec.txt.zip

4. for 11 nodes need VREF 80

Node 0x0b [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400081: Stereo

Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80

;) Taptun

PS. like this legacy

Success , Taptun :D

1. If you use this pinkonfig, you need to delete HP, only Line Out

nid 10 0x40f100f0 as 15 seq 0 Other None jack 1 loc 0 color Unknown misc 0 [DISABLED]

This node is not usable. Why you want to include in the pinconfig?

3. Amp is for the node 28 and 29, not for 18 and 19

Not necessarily.

Hello,

i wanted to thank you very much for this thread. It's a really easy and comprehensive guide to install osx 10.6.4 on hp dv8-1150el, that i recently purchased.

The problem is that my system hangs often and i have to power it off with brute force (pressing power button for 5 seconds).

To mammoth : i followed your latest guide and 1.15 post install and you said you experienced some random locks .

I have the suspect that something is wrong with dsdt part of graphic CARD injection. If i remove that part, the system works fine at fullhd resolution without locks/hangs(but no qe&ci).

My question is : is it possible to have qe&ci with any enabler for geforce gt 230m, that is not dsdt injection ? I tried many and they don't work. Can you please help me to have a fully working graphic system?

I even tried injecting my own nvcap with no success. Another question : why graphic part is injected in 2 parts? Device(Gfx0) and Device(Vga)?

Please help me to have a proper injection device into dsdt or to have qe&ci at full resolution with another enabler.

Thanks,

Mal

Hardware: hp dv8-1150el ; Cpu i7-720qm, chipset pm55 and mobo hm55 , graphics gt 230m 1 gb (?) , 18.4 fullhd LCD, 2x 500gb 7200rpm , 6 gb RAM ddr3 1333 .

Hello everyone,

Sorry I have not been able to respond to everyone in a while. Unfortunately I have more to do then time allows. I have not forgotten about you, but I am just slammed and unable to be on here much. I hope to get some more time soon and get caught up, but that's not today. : (

Thanks to all of you who posted about the guides working for you and being very helpful! It is posts like that which causes me to want to get back on here as fast as I can! Thanks!!! : )

For those of you with issues, most of the time people have missed something in the guides, and when they have tried again and been very careful to follow everything, most of their issues are resolved.

For random lockups, I think we need to find something better than PFix to re-establish all caches after making system changes. I think this is where our problems are, but have not time now to research.

If you have a system you are not sure if the guides will work for, backup your system and try it. I only have my DV8 so there is no way I can know what will and will not work for others, experiment. ; )

Gotta go,

For random lockups, I think we need to find something better than PFix to re-establish all caches after making system changes. I think this is where our problems are, but have not time now to research.

I don't know whether this has been mention before or not but does AppleLPC.kext loaded? If it is not, LPC device in DSDT need to be patched. AppleLPC is useful in making the CPU run much cooler. Also do a cleanup in the DSDT such as removing IRQ from RTC, TIMR (or TMR) & PIC (or IPIC) device. There has been a report that this little cleanup does solved the random lockups or KP on i7-720QM powered notebook. Can you or anyone who use R2 DSDT, post here the ioreg dump (using IORegistryExplorer application)? Thanks. :rolleyes:

Hi Mammoth, kizwan

I tested things more than once before posting. I found my problem in graphic part of the dsdt causing the freeze in my system.

Without such modification,i have no hangs/freezes . And i tried to EnableGraphics inside com.apple.Boot.plist and qe&ci are still not active. I even tried putting my nvcap, but it's exactly the same.

My LPC device is loaded fine (i checked the ioregistry). Tomorrow i will post my ioreg and you can give a look at it if you find something strange.

I also have my cpu i7 720qm shown as 3 ghz i7 .

But the most important part to be fixed is the graphic part.

Is it so important to install MacBookProUpdate1.3 before 10.6.4 update ? Have you ever checked nvidia website for their latest driver downloadable for 10.6.4?

Thanks for your replies/time to help me fixing my probs with dv8. It's an amazing laptop and i'd like to have it fully working with Snow!!

Mal

I don't know whether this has been mention before or not but does AppleLPC.kext loaded? If it is not, LPC device in DSDT need to be patched. AppleLPC is useful in making the CPU run much cooler. Also do a cleanup in the DSDT such as removing IRQ from RTC, TIMR (or TMR) & PIC (or IPIC) device. There has been a report that this little cleanup does solved the random lockups or KP on i7-720QM powered notebook. Can you or anyone who use R2 DSDT, post here the ioreg dump (using IORegistryExplorer application)? Thanks. :)

Hi Mammoth, kizwan

I tested things more than once before posting. I found my problem in graphic part of the dsdt causing the freeze in my system.

Without such modification,i have no hangs/freezes . And i tried to EnableGraphics inside com.apple.Boot.plist and qe&ci are still not active. I even tried putting my nvcap, but it's exactly the same.

Does your BIOS version is identical with Mammoth & Mac Man 50? I think your notebook configuration is a bit different because Mammoth can get QE/CI working just with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (without DSDT patch). I much prefer to patch/inject it in DSDT so you don't have to rely on boot loader for it to work. Please post the IOREG dumps (using IORegistryExplorer) with & without the R2 DSDT. Meaning one with R2 DSDT & one with only GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

My LPC device is loaded fine (i checked the ioregistry). Tomorrow i will post my ioreg and you can give a look at it if you find something strange.

I also have my cpu i7 720qm shown as 3 ghz i7 .

Please use Chameleon 2 RC5 instead. It provide better support for Intel Core processor.

Is it so important to install MacBookProUpdate1.3 before 10.6.4 update ?

I don't think it is necessary.

I even tried injecting my own nvcap with no success. Another question : why graphic part is injected in 2 parts? Device(Gfx0) and Device(Vga)?

Only one part is use. Device (VGA) is the correct one (according to Mammoth's & Mac Man 50's notebook configuration).

@Kizwan:

Hey I´m sorry to report that my Hp died on me yesterday...so i´m out for testing the next weeks. :-(

It is OK. I'll wait. Take your time. Don't worry they will be able to sort it out. They just replaced the parts.

Hi kizwan,

thanks for your detailed reply and for helping me!

My dsdt is IDENTICAL to the dsdt in the compressed file you upped in the topic you pointed me to (DSDT_DV8T_R2.rar) . I am doing a fresh install of osx 10.6.3 from original retail dvd, and then i will send you the ioreg dumps you asked me for here. Here you can find the dsdt i extracted from everest in windows7 (the dsdt extracted from linux is identical). I can also upload all the ssdt tables exctracted from everest, video bios stuff etc , if you need too ... just let me know. I have everything here in my hands already extracted.

I will try the chameleon bootloader you was talking about too (thanks about that too!).

My main aim is to avoid freezes of my graphic card with qe&ci enabled. Maybe mygraphic card id damaged ? How could i try it in windows7 ? Perhaps the acceleration part just does not work any more but i dunno how to test it in windows7... any suggestions ?

Thanks!

Mal

Does your BIOS version is identical with Mammoth & Mac Man 50? I think your notebook configuration is a bit different because Mammoth can get QE/CI working just with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (without DSDT patch). I much prefer to patch/inject it in DSDT so you don't have to rely on boot loader for it to work. Please post the IOREG dumps (using IORegistryExplorer) with & without the R2 DSDT. Meaning one with R2 DSDT & one with only GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Please use Chameleon 2 RC5 instead. It provide better support for Intel Core processor.

I don't think it is necessary.

Only one part is use. Device (VGA) is the correct one (according to Mammoth's & Mac Man 50's notebook configuration).

It is OK. I'll wait. Take your time. Don't worry they will be able to sort it out. They just replaced the parts.

dsdtDV8_ManMal.zip

My dsdt is IDENTICAL to the dsdt in the compressed file you upped in the topic you pointed me to (DSDT_DV8T_R2.rar) .

I was referring to your BIOS version, not DSDT.

Here you can find the dsdt i extracted from everest in windows7 (the dsdt extracted from linux is identical).

I'll wait for the ioreg dump.

Perhaps the acceleration part just does not work any more but i dunno how to test it in windows7... any suggestions ?

If you can play demanding games (e.g. starcraft II) in Windows 7, it does work.

hi,

my bios version is F25 (i recently updated it). The DSDT i attached is from F25 bios of my dv8-1150el.

Unfortunately i don't have any game to test in windows 7 . Can i verify it in windows 7 in any way ? Or Can i download something (not so huge) that i can launch and verify if everything is working? Is it possible that the card was overclocked by previous owner ? How to check it ? I am just guessing ... i am not sure it is, of course. I don't want to go offtopic but i hope you all understand that my main problem is that graphics freezes my computer in 10.6.3 and my aim is to solve that. So all my questions are related to that.

Thanks kizwan!

Mal

I was referring to your BIOS version, not DSDT.

I'll wait for the ioreg dump.

If you can play demanding games (e.g. starcraft II) in Windows 7, it does work.

Yes, i did grading test in win7 with success.

I will try with gpu-z hoping i can try somewhere the informations about default specs.

Hi JBraddock! I upgraded to a DV8 from HDX18 as you can see :rolleyes:

I a trying to fix stuff here btw ... do u you that i have audio working after sleep here in dv8 ? I just have my system freezing with graphics ... i am pretty much sure it's for that.

Mal

Just run a benchmark test. Windows 7's system grading test should be ok.

Use GPU-Z to see your GPU clock and shader speed and then compare them to the official specifications.

........ my main problem is that graphics freezes my computer in 10.6.3 and my aim is to solve that. So all my questions are related to that.

You still on 10.6.3? Did you try to update to 10.6.4 & see if it make any differences? To troubleshoot your graphics freezes, first I need to see your IOREG dump. Make sure you boot with your own DSDT without any graphic injection, with GraphicsEnabler=Yes & use IORegistryExplorer application to dump your IOREG to file.

Yes, i did grading test in win7 with success.

I will try with gpu-z hoping i can try somewhere the informations about default specs.

Hi JBraddock! I upgraded to a DV8 from HDX18 as you can see :)

I a trying to fix stuff here btw ... do u you that i have audio working after sleep here in dv8 ? I just have my system freezing with graphics ... i am pretty much sure it's for that.

Mal

You left me alone with HDX :) I applied SSDT hacks and I am really happy now in terms of temp and speedstep. There are things to be done tough.

I am planing to upgrade my HDD with an intel SSD. That's all I can afford right now. My next laptop will be a MacbookPro. Hopefully :)

Regarding your problem, there is also a Snow Leopard Graphic Update for 10.6.4. Don't forget to apply that as well.

You left me alone with HDX :( I applied SSDT hacks and I am really happy now in terms of temp and speedstep. There are things to be done tough.

I am planing to upgrade my HDD with an intel SSD. That's all I can afford right now. My next laptop will be a MacbookPro. Hopefully :(

Regarding your problem, there is also a Snow Leopard Graphic Update for 10.6.4. Don't forget to apply that as well.

To Kizwan :

here are my ioregs . I did an ioreg dump in 32 and 64 bit mode with and with dsdt extracted from everest, a 32 bit ioreg dump WITHOUT dsdt (and GraphicsEnabler=Yes) and one with dsdt by mammoth in latest 1.15 mammoth cd (that should be the dsdt r2 you posted i guess). I have ioregistry dump there. I hope the names i used are ok and you understand them.

Here's the link : http://www.mediafire.com/?ua454nwvnnlk4xd

Sorry it's 1.2 mb... they are 4 ioreg dumps I remember you that my unmodified dsdt is identical to the unmodified one from dsdt_R2 link you gave me before.

To JBraddock :

I didn't left you alone ... i keep my good old hdx18 until i won't have fixed everything in my new dv8. HDX18 is just amazing! It's like a true macbookpro for me. Do you know why Valv's HDX18 thread wasn't updated any more by you or him ? For example with such new stuff you experimented ? We need you guyz there!! :( it should be a dream for other hdx18 users too to have everything working! Have you got SD card reader working in 32-bit mode there? And what about your applehda research? Did you have success to have audio with AppleHDA after resume from sleep ? Perhaps the method used in mammoth's dsdt works well for hdx18 too ... here in dv8 audio works after sleep with applehda without any problem! I have other problems here... most related to graphics, but except that, dv8 is amazing! I hope i can fix everything !

Thanks!

Mal

To JBraddock :

I didn't left you alone ... i have it until i an't fix everything in my new dv8. HDX18 is just amazing. Why the Valv thread wasn't updated with that new stuff you experimented ? :D it should be done for other hdx18 users too. Why is the HDX18 topic dead and is it no more updated? And what about applehda ? Did you have success to have applehda after resume from sleep ? Perhaps the method used in mammoth's dsdt works well for hdx18 too ... here in dv8 audio works after sleep with applehda .

I don't know really. I haven't heard from Valv for a while.

I'll update the topic with SSDT override and SBUS fix as the current fix doesn't load AppleSMBusPCI.kext. I found a solution but Kizwan came up with a new code so I'll try that and then update the topic.

I couldn't solve audio problem but I am hopeful :D

Can you share your legacy kext and DSDT file please.

I don't know really. I haven't heard from Valv for a while.

I'll update the topic with SSDT override and SBUS fix as the current fix doesn't load AppleSMBusPCI.kext. I found a solution but Kizwan came up with a new code so I'll try that and then update the topic.

I couldn't solve audio problem but I am hopeful :)

Can you share your legacy kext and DSDT file please.

now there is the latest trunk of chameleon that lets you load and generate automatically p-states and c-states . It should work with our hdx18 beast ... give it a look, if you have time!

Mal

now there is the latest trunk of chameleon that lets you load and generate automatically p-states and c-states . It should work with our hdx18 beast ... give it a look, if you have time!

Mal

I tried that but with P-States and C-States being enabled via bootloader, HDX works hotter. May be I need to change my mac model. Then it may work. With SSDT table, I am happy now. Can you share your legacy kext and DSDT file for DV8 please.

Thanks,

Hey guys,

So I've successfully completed part one of the snow leopard install, and got the "Install Successful" message.

Now, the problem is that when I go to reboot, with Chameleon, I get an error message that reads

"EBIOS read error: Device Timeout

Block 0x0 Sectors 0"

And it keeps repeating that message... Chameleon then fails to load. I don't really hear the disk trying to access, so could there be a problem there that I missed?

Someone help, please :)

Thank you,

Dylan

Hey guys,

So I've successfully completed part one of the snow leopard install, and got the "Install Successful" message.

Now, the problem is that when I go to reboot, with Chameleon, I get an error message that reads

"EBIOS read error: Device Timeout

Block 0x0 Sectors 0"

And it keeps repeating that message... Chameleon then fails to load. I don't really hear the disk trying to access, so could there be a problem there that I missed?

Someone help, please :)

Thank you,

Dylan

Which version of Chameleon are you using. Try to use the latest version and if that doesn't solve your problem try to remove some of the entries from boot.plist and leave only the basic ones.