[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Hi Mammoth,

thanks for the response , I appreciate your fast response to everyone's questions !

I hope we do not bother you much , I did try the kext on 32-bit and it worked ! so now , it will be a matter of finding it on a 64 -bit !

The kext name is IOSDHCIBlockdevice.kext,

if anyone knows where to find it on a 64-bit format? , I will appreciate the info....

will do some searching ...........thanks again for all the help.

Oskr

Hey guys.

Did anyone already try the applehda.kext from this thread?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132293

Seems like they got everything including headphones, speaker muting etc working...

maybe there´s a way to integrate it into mammoth´s guide?

Cheers

Dragonsoul

Hi Dragonsoul,

Thanks for research, but the IDT chip in that Gateway and ours is different. Also, it is very machine specific to get everything working perfectly, so taking an AppleHDA modified for a Gateway would not work properly on an HP, even if the audio chip WAS the same exact one, at least in most cases.

Our go-to person for this is Kizwan. He got us the audio we have now, and we just have a few more tweaks to get it perfect.

@Kizwan, I know you said previously you are busy lately (believe me, I understand that!). When you are able, I am ready (I have a little time at the moment) to work with you on refining audio by getting the headphone jacks (there are two on our systems), to work. We also need to get sleep and other power management working.

Mammoth,

I found a two-finger-scrolling kext (SL_PS2_Voodoo.zip) working in 64bit mode. Thanks to Dong and his work Download the file here

Just replace ApplePS2controller.kext with VoodooPS2controller.kext in C/E/E, then the Trackpad prefPane will show two-finger-scroll option. Other two files are not used.

Moreover, my DV7 can go to sleep and resume by power button or re-open the lid. I put Wake=No in the boot.plist.

I hope the card reader will have solution soon. Cheers,

Hi,

first of all thanks Mammoth and all the others who contributed to it for the great guide.

I have a DV7 3190eg and everything works (haven't tested the trackpad yet). Putting the AppleHDA.kext in C/E/E resulted in sometimes perfect sound, sometimes none at all, sometimes the built-in speakers were good, but the headphone jacks were only working for about 10-15 seconds, then suddenly no sound. Now i've put it in S/L/E instead of C/E/E and both the built in speakers and headphone jacks are working fine after several restarts too (haven't tested the mic-in yet). I don't know if my DV7 has exactly the same IDT chip as Yours, but maybe it's worth a try.

Hi Mammoth.

I can confirm on replacing the ps2 kext with the voodoo one makes scrolling with the touchpad working.

Moving the AppleHda to s/l/e didn´t do nothing for me so i hope kizwan will do some magic for us.

Also i can confirm the random Kp mentioned earlier when running with battery only.

and i got my netgear wg111v3 working after copying the kext to c/e/e (keeping the original one in s/l/e in order to keep the netgear wlan utility working).

Have a nice one.

Greetz

Dragonsoul

Which kext do You use for the wg111v3? I was using it with 10.5.8, but couldn't find a way to make it work with SL

Hi Mammoth.

I can confirm on replacing the ps2 kext with the voodoo one makes scrolling with the touchpad working.

Moving the AppleHda to s/l/e didn´t do nothing for me so i hope kizwan will do some magic for us.

Also i can confirm the random Kp mentioned earlier when running with battery only.

and i got my netgear wg111v3 working after copying the kext to c/e/e (keeping the original one in s/l/e in order to keep the netgear wlan utility working).

Have a nice one.

Greetz

Dragonsoul

Mammoth,

I found a two-finger-scrolling kext (SL_PS2_Voodoo.zip) working in 64bit mode. Thanks to Dong and his work Download the file here

Just replace ApplePS2controller.kext with VoodooPS2controller.kext in C/E/E, then the Trackpad prefPane will show two-finger-scroll option. Other two files are not used.

Moreover, my DV7 can go to sleep and resume by power button or re-open the lid. I put Wake=No in the boot.plist.

I hope the card reader will have solution soon. Cheers,

Wow, a lot of great news here!

Ok, I haven't had a chance to try the new kext for scrolling, but sounds like that's the one we all be using soon. :(

On the power management, do you have a working Windows 7 partition as part of your configuration?

Hi,

first of all thanks Mammoth and all the others who contributed to it for the great guide.

I have a DV7 3190eg and everything works (haven't tested the trackpad yet). Putting the AppleHDA.kext in C/E/E resulted in sometimes perfect sound, sometimes none at all, sometimes the built-in speakers were good, but the headphone jacks were only working for about 10-15 seconds, then suddenly no sound. Now i've put it in S/L/E instead of C/E/E and both the built in speakers and headphone jacks are working fine after several restarts too (haven't tested the mic-in yet). I don't know if my DV7 has exactly the same IDT chip as Yours, but maybe it's worth a try.

Hey Bobzillah,

Glad the guides have worked well for you! :angel:

OS X relies HEAVELY on cached files. This is where a lot of people have a lot of troubles making system changes that "don't seem to take affect". If the caches aren't properly updated, then system changes won't be recognized and system instability can result.

In the Update-installation Guide there is a troubleshooting section with a procedure that should almost always prevent this, but it has to be followed exactly. Booting in safe mode (using the kernel boot flag -x), wipes out all the caches. So whenever -x is used, the procedure must be completed again to re-establish all the caches. Try this, and it will work as outlined in the guieds.

I tried to look-up your IDT chip number on HP's site, but they don't seem to list it for your machine, which seems strange. Can you boot into Windows 7 and find out what the exact chip number is?

Hi Mammoth.

Have a nice one.

Greetz

Dragonsoul

Thanks for the confirmation on the updated kext; I'm looking forward to making that change on mine.

The Netgear wlan utility 'should' work even if the kext is NOT in /S/L/E/ but is in /C/E/E/ AND all caches have been re-established by following the procedure in the troubleshooting section of the Update-installation Guide.

Yeah i didn't find it either on HP's site, but now i checked it in Win7 - according to everest - it is an IDT 92HD75B3, so i have no idea, why it is working for me :)

I tried to look-up your IDT chip number on HP's site, but they don't seem to list it for your machine, which seems strange. Can you boot into Windows 7 and find out what the exact chip number is?

Wow, a lot of great news here!

Ok, I haven't had a chance to try the new kext for scrolling, but sounds like that's the one we all be using soon. ;)

On the power management, do you have a working Windows 7 partition as part of your configuration?

Mammoth,

My installation is on a USB HD delicate to OSX so that I can keep everything on the HP 500G HD untouched.

I boot Windows 7 without USB HD plug in, while boot OSX with USB HD on.

I found two smbios.plist on your bootCD, MacPro & MacBookPro, any difference in performance? Which one will be better?

Cheers,

Joe

kizwan or Mammoth,

Do you have sleep/wake working with just the DSDT mod? I don't have sleep/wake working. My System won't wake just sleep.

If you do have it working Via DSDT what was the mod you did?

kizwan or Mammoth,

I also noticed the DSDT in your latest package has SBUS script manually added to the DSDT. That really must have been a lot of work. I don't have SMBUS in my DSDT.

Exactly what do I have to do to add that extensive script to the DSDT?

I have attached mine, along with my ioreg. Maybe you could have a look at it when you have time and advise on how to tackle this? Not sure after all that if it will help resolve the sleep/wake issue though?

Thanks

Asus_G51Jx_X5_Bios_108_dsdt.aml.zip

osxfr33k_Ioreg.zip

@Kizwan, I know you said previously you are busy lately (believe me, I understand that!). When you are able, I am ready (I have a little time at the moment) to work with you on refining audio by getting the headphone jacks (there are two on our systems), to work. We also need to get sleep and other power management working.

Don't worry. I already started this. It already 80% complete. Audio kexts for test will be available soon. It is based on codec dump given to me by Mac Man 50. Good news is the codec dump does allow auto-switch between internal speaker & HP. When plugged in the HP, it should disable the internal speaker.

Do you have sleep/wake working with just the DSDT mod? I don't have sleep/wake working. My System won't wake just sleep.

If you do have it working Via DSDT what was the mod you did?

On my Acer Aspire 9420 (already put to rest since I'm "busy" with the other two latest notebook :thumbsup_anim:), sleep does work, nearly vanilla. To wake from sleep, I have to put ForceWake=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist file. When I said "nearly vanilla", what I meant was, I patched the USB codes in DSDT to allow my notebook to enter sleep mode. There are built-in camera which is not supported by Mac OS X & also a bluetooth module which preventing my notebook from entering the sleep mode.

I also noticed the DSDT in your latest package has SBUS script manually added to the DSDT. That really must have been a lot of work. I don't have SMBUS in my DSDT.

The SBUS codes already exist in the HP DVx DSDT. My Asus K42JV also doesn't have SBUS codes in DSDT. Our notebook doesn't have SMBUS device if you check in windows Device Manager. BTW, I checked your Asus notebook, your notebook doesn't come with Optimus technology. It make sense since your notebook specification support Intel Core CPU up to i7-720QM which doesn't have Intel HD GPU. Mine have problem to enable the Nvidia GPU since it have Optimus technology. I'm able to get the Nvidia GPU detected properly (including the video memory) but I'm unable to "attach" the display to it. Intel HD GPU is in control of the display. AFAIK, no one able to get the Intel HD GPU to work properly...yet. Looks like I'm stuck with wrong resolution & without QE/CI for now.

Hi, Mammoth.

Need some help here.Hope you can point me in the right direction

My laptop is HP DV6T-2300 ,Quad edition.

Core i7 720 QM

4Gb RAM 1333

320 GB HDD

Nvidia Geforce GT 320M ,1GB.Bios F.1C

Its essentially same as yours except for the screen size and graphics card.

LAN audio etc are all same.

My problem is that no matter what method I try,cannot boot into Snow Leo,there's Kernel panic with boot that end in apple screen asking to reboot in 4 languages.

On verbose mode the constant error is as follows:

"Local APIC error,ESR,;64\n"2/Extra/builds/xnu/xnu.1456.1.26/osfmk/i386/lapic.c:648"

4-5 backtraces then

1. BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

2. Mac OS version:
  3. Not yet set

4. Kernel Version:
  5. Darwin Kernel Version 10.2.0: Tue Nov 2 10:35:19 PST 2009; root:xnu-1486.2.11~1/RELEASE_X86_64
  6. System model name: MacPro3,1 (Mac-F4208DC8)

7. System uptime nanoseconds: 2155518888

This happens with any kernel i use(vanilla,chocolate,voodoo etc) & with Iatkos 10.5.5,10.5.7,Retail 10.6.0 (both by USB boot method & protocolx method).

The only version i can install is Kalyway.

Please help me to boot into 10.6.

Is it related to HP bios,do I need a DSDT.aml even to boot or this APIC error can be bypassed in some other way.

Thanks in advance.

PS. It occurs no matter what boot flag i use.

-x -v cpu=1 busratio=12, force64 etc.

"Kizwan: Don't worry. I already started this. It already 80% complete. Audio kexts for test will be available soon. It is based on codec dump given to me by Mac Man 50. Good news is the codec dump does allow auto-switch between internal speaker & HP. When plugged in the HP, it should disable the internal speaker."

That´s great news!

Thanks a lot.

cheers

Dragonsoul

Which kext do You use for the wg111v3? I was using it with 10.5.8, but couldn't find a way to make it work with SL

Hey bobzillah.

I was using the standard driver from netgear...

Had no problem using it on my desktop with Sl and on my dv6 2150eg using mammoths guide i had to place the kext from the installation in the c/e/e folder for the device to be recognized and in s/l/e for the wlan utility to work.

Greetings Dragonsoul

I have to put ForceWake=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist file. When I said "nearly vanilla", what I meant was, I patched the USB codes in DSDT to allow my notebook to enter sleep mode. There are built-in camera which is not supported by Mac OS X & also a bluetooth module which preventing my notebook from entering the sleep mode.

Thanks for the reply. I see now. I do have an SMbus contoller though, that is why I was not sure about Device (sbus)?

WHat mods where done to the USB? I have seen mods for USB on wake insertion error fix, for EHCI. Is this the fix you did? DId you add that DTGP method for each USB device in your DSDT or just for the EHCI? My EHCI device sais built in per IOREG. My EHC's are labelled EHC0 and EHC1.

The SBUS codes already exist in the HP DVx DSDT. My Asus K42JV also doesn't have SBUS codes in DSDT. Our notebook doesn't have SMBUS device if you check in windows Device Manager. BTW, I checked your Asus notebook, your notebook doesn't come with Optimus technology. It make sense since your notebook specification support Intel Core CPU up to i7-720QM which doesn't have Intel HD GPU. M

So I don't have to mod the DSDT and insert a Device (sbus) code as as they did in these two posts?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

and

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=685

And as always thanks again. Mammoth Sorry for the somewhat Off Topic.

kizwan do you have another thread going on fore this discussion? I can post there instead.

I am still thinking of also buying the HP DV8T. So some of my questions are related to it.

EDITED about 1 hour later:

kizwan,

I added these scripts an now sleep/wake works. I also added script from EVO DSDTSE Lid Fix to get Sleep to work when lid is closed but when I open lid no wake. I have to either strike the keyboard or click once on the power button.

I removed ForceWake from com.apple.Boot.plist since that did not seem to really do anything with wake either from Lid, keyboard or Power Button Quick Depress.

I have however the USB Disk Insertion Error with USB FLash Drive after wake. Is there a fix for this? There are variations of this code and some have Device Id in them so I still may not have this exactly as it should be for the G51JX Intel USB Device Ids?

Here is what my LID, EHC0 and EHC1 looked like before the mod and after. For some reason the Device ID in IOREG keeps showing EHC0 as <"4;"> instead of it showing what its suppose to be, <34 3b 00 00>. EHC1 shows correct id as <3c 3b 00 00>.

BEFORE:

Scope (_SB)
   {
       Device (LID)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))
           Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               Store (One, Local0)
               Store (^^PCI0.SBRG.EC0.RPIN (0x0A), Local0)
               If (LEqual (Local0, Ones))
               {
                   Store (One, Local0)
               }

Return (Local0)
           }
       }
   }

Device (EHC0)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (GPRW (0x0D, 0x03))
               }
           }

Device (EHC1)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
               {
               }
           }

AFTER:

Scope (_SB)
   {
       Device (LID)
       {
           Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C0D"))
           Name (LIDS, One)
           Method (_LID, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               Store (^^PCI0.SBRG.EC0.RPIN (0x0A), LIDS)
               XOr (LIDS, One, Local0)
               If (Local0)
               {
                   Notify (SLPB, 0x80)
               }

Return (LIDS)
           }
       }
   }

Device (EHC0)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
               Name (_S1D, 0x02)
               Name (_S3D, 0x02)
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0F)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x34, 0x3b, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"AAPL,clock-id", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x0A
                           }, 

"built-in", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }, 

"device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x05)
                           {
                               "EHCI"
                           }, 

"AAPL,current-available", 
                           0x04B0, 
                           "AAPL,current-extra", 
                           0x02BC, 
                           "AAPL,current-in-sleep", 
                           0x03E8, 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

{
               }
           }

Device (EHC1)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001A0000)
               Name (_S1D, 0x02)
               Name (_S3D, 0x02)
               Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0F)
                       {
                           "device-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x3c, 0x3b, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"AAPL,clock-id", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x0A
                           }, 

"built-in", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }, 

"device_type", 
                           Buffer (0x05)
                           {
                               "EHCI"
                           }, 

"AAPL,current-available", 
                           0x04B0, 
                           "AAPL,current-extra", 
                           0x02BC, 
                           "AAPL,current-in-sleep", 
                           0x03E8, 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }

{
               }
           }

Hi, Mammoth.

Need some help here.Hope you can point me in the right direction

My laptop is HP DV6T-2300 ,Quad edition.

Core i7 720 QM

4Gb RAM 1333

320 GB HDD

Nvidia Geforce GT 320M ,1GB.Bios F.1C

Its essentially same as yours except for the screen size and graphics card......

I had similar problems before I use Mammoth BootCD for my DV7. I would strongly suggest you to download the bootCD v1.15 and install OSX according to Mammoth's instructions.

Cheers,

Don't worry. I already started this. It already 80% complete. Audio kexts for test will be available soon. It is based on codec dump given to me by Mac Man 50. Good news is the codec dump does allow auto-switch between internal speaker & HP. When plugged in the HP, it should disable the internal speaker.

Hi Kizwan,

I have a HP HDX 16 and I have almost everything working including sleep and hibernate thanks to Valv.

Since you will be dealing with sleep issues I would like to share my experience that may give you an insight.

Machine goes to sleep no matter how I set the sleep mode. But it can only wake up if the sleep mode is set to "Sleep Only (Fast Sleep)" or "Hibarnate Only". It doesn't wake up from deep sleep.

Anyway, the thing that I want to ask you is that when machine wakes up from sleep, the audio is not working while It is working after waking up from hibernate and I was wondering if you may have any idea what the problem was?

Wrong pin configuration, order of pins?

Thanks,

This is audio kexts for IDT92HD75B3. Please test & let me know the result.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2yxi6wm4b6i17r9

1) Install IDT92HD75B3X5_106.kext to Extra folder.

2) Install AppleHDA.kext file in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. Please backup existing file.

Thank you. :(

In case you've also referred to me.

My codec chip is a different one, which is IDT 92HD71B7.

Sorry for going off topic.

Machine goes to sleep no matter how I set the sleep mode. But it can only wake up if the sleep mode is set to "Sleep Only (Fast Sleep)" or "Hibarnate Only". It doesn't wake up from deep sleep.

Anyway, the thing that I want to ask you is that when machine wakes up from sleep, the audio is not working while It is working after waking up from hibernate and I was wondering if you may have any idea what the problem was?

Wrong pin configuration, order of pins?

I thought "Hibernate" is considered deep sleep. It is a bit confusing though. I suggest you to specify what was the value you set for hibernatemode (3, 7, etc). It will be much easier. As for the audio issue after waking from sleep, you will need to check the _WAK (wake) & _PTS (prepare to sleep) control method in DSDT. See if there is an entry for turning ON (_WAK) & OFF (_PTS) the audio device. To know which IF statement you need to look, look at the Arg0 variable. For example, Arg0=0x03 means it is in transition FROM (_WAK) or TO (_PTS) sleep mode.

This is audio kexts for IDT92HD75B3. Please test & let me know the result.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2yxi6wm4b6i17r9

1) Install IDT92HD75B3X5_106.kext to Extra folder.

2) Install AppleHDA.kext file in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder. Please backup existing file.

Thank you. ;)

Hi Kizwan.

Tried your kext on my hp dv6 2150eg but without luck. :-(

Installed in extras and s/l/e but got something like "sound assertion 0 == pcivendorProductid failed in applehda at line 33345 and 2 similiar messages during reboot.

greetings

dragonsoul