[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

Thx Mammoth.

:-) Had to laugh about the "frontseat" as well.

Guess I will try a clean install after all. :-)

I followed the installation guide and then the 1.15 post guide...guess i really screwed up at some point.

The com.apple.boot.plist doesn´t respond to changes I made (like arch=i386 etc...), so i guess somethings wrong there too.

Pfix and permission repair don´t have any effect on the issue.

Still, i´m looking forward to try again and report back since almost everything else really worked out of the box.

Have a nice day and thanks for the response and your effort.

Greetings

Mammoth,

I was curious what method you used to extract your DSDT? Im not sure if the HP is an EFI Bios or not but when I extract the DSTD using Ubuntu 10.0.4 Live CD, I do not have SBUS information script in the DSDT.aml?

EvO DSDTSE makes a Windows version and I wonder if using DSDTSE in windows 7 might give a more accurate DSDT extract or not?

My System is basically the same chipset as your except I have the HM55 chipset where I think yours is the PM55?

Mammoth,

I was curious what method you used to extract your DSDT? Im not sure if the HP is an EFI Bios or not but when I extract the DSTD using Ubuntu 10.0.4 Live CD, I do not have SBUS information script in the DSDT.aml?

EvO DSDTSE makes a Windows version and I wonder if using DSDTSE in windows 7 might give a more accurate DSDT extract or not?

My System is basically the same chipset as your except I have the HM55 chipset where I think yours is the PM55?

You can use DSDT Editor.

But you have to extract your DSDT ina system that does not have DSDT overrride otherwise your DSDT is not Vanilla thus you extract using Ubuntu Live CD or Windows.

The Ubuntu Live CD seems to lack some detail in the DSDT the Mammoth's DSDT has.

So I was wondering how he extracted it?

But you have to extract your DSDT ina system that does not have DSDT overrride otherwise your DSDT is not Vanilla thus you extract using Ubuntu Live CD or Windows.

The Ubuntu Live CD seems to lack some detail in the DSDT the Mammoth's DSDT has.

So I was wondering how he extracted it?

DSDT Editor can run on windows too. I doubt dumping DSDT with Ubuntu Live CD will resulting incomplete DSDT. Can you show me the small portion of the missing detail? DSDT is injected from BIOS, so there is no way DSDT can be different between different OS unless we/OS override it (where the process is called DSDT override). Another way to dump DSDT in windows is by using an application called Everest.

Hello JY371!

Thanks for taking the time to let us all know how well the guides worked for you! I go through all of my docs multiple times to test and make sure everything works before I realease them. I wish more people would do that; just a quick thanks like yours makes all my hard work really worth it.

Your remote works? That is very interesting. I have never heard of it working for anyone else. I just tried mine and it doesn't work for me. Did you have to add anything to your OS X install to allow it to work? Is this the little flat remote that can fit into the PCI Express card slot or is this the TV Tunner remote?

Is there anyone else out there the remote works for?

Great to have you with us JY371!

I installed the retail DVD 10.6.3 using your BootCD 1.15. Then, install Chamelon from your CD; boot my USB HD; copy Extra and Kokomal kernel; reboot and start Apple Update to 10.6.4.; boot -x and restart.

After everything done, I test all the hardware and find that everything works as you described including the little flat remote.

I wish the Synaptics trackpad have multitouch, or at least, tap to click and scrolling. Moreover, DV7 is running hot (720qm in full speed >70C) and seemed that no speedstep working. Thanks again for your hardwork!

DSDT Editor can run on windows too. I doubt dumping DSDT with Ubuntu Live CD will resulting incomplete DSDT. Can you show me the small portion of the missing detail? DSDT is injected from BIOS, so there is no way DSDT can be different between different OS unless we/OS override it (where the process is called DSDT override). Another way to dump DSDT in windows is by using an application called Everest.

I will extract on windows as well to see. Wouldn't you think if its EFI/Bios Hybrid of sorts that might play a role or not?

SMBUS script is just not in this DSDT.

Its basically the same chipset as the the DV8t and processor i7 but with the HM55 chipset not PM55 chipset. For now here is the file extracted from Ubuntu 10.0.4. There is a script to dump all the tables SSDT etc and it does not work on this hardware not sure why?

This is the code I have used for a while now in Ubuntu Live CD 9.0.4. Maybe it doesn't work in Ubuntu 10.0.4?

mkdir ACPI && dmesg | perl -we '$n=0; while (<>) { if (($t,$a,$l,$o) = (/^[^a-zA-Z]*ACPI: 
([-._A-Z0-9]{4,4}) +([0-9A-F]{8,8}), ([0-9A-F]{4,4})+(?:\s*\(([^)]+))?/)) { $o && $o=~s/
[^-._a-zA-Z0-9]+/-/g; ($cmd="acpidump -a $a -l $l > \"ACPI/${t}".($o?"_$o":"").".aml\""); 
print "Running command: \"$cmd\"\n"; system($cmd); ++$n; } } 
die("No match") unless $n;' && zip -r ACPI-Tables.zip ACPI

I had to put returns on the code or it was too wide.

Kizwan have you got sleep/wake to work?

File attached

dsdt.aml.zip

Hello,

I have an issue that I'm trying to fix and I would like to know if any of you guys have the same. Eventually I'll figure it out but for now I hit rock bottom. I have 4 cores/ 8 threads working flawlessly but when I use a processor pane tool (From Xcode) there is seem to be a missing info, as you can see in the image below. Does anyone knows how to fix it? I'm using Chameleon 2. rc5 to boot up.

6oljx2.jpg

Thank in advance.

Never Mind...I figured out..!

Kizwan have you got sleep/wake to work?

I don't have HP DVx notebook but I do have Dell Studio 1557 (PM55) & Asus A42JV/K42JV (HM55). I already stop my attempt to install Mac OS X on my Studio since it have ATI Mobility graphic card which is not supported. Now I'm focusing on to my Asus notebook which have NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M. However it have Optimus technology which I'm afraid going to be a problem. I hope not though. :)

If you can post the DSDT file taken in windows, I can compare it with the one you taken in Ubuntu. But I can not check it now since I'm really busy with a lot of works. I will look into it when I have free time. Which model do you have? DV8? What is the BIOS version?

Mammoth,

Hi oSxFr33k,

When I originally tried to create the DSDT, I was using DSDT SE under OS X. But I continually had problems creating it with errors I could not get rid of. So I started using one I got from someone else, I believe it was from user Yehia Amer.

Then I started working with Kizwan, and I created one from the Windows version of DSDT SE under Windows 7 and another from Everest. The DSDT we are using now is the one Kizwan was able to create for us.

Kizwan has looked several times at DSDTs created by my self and Mac Man 50, and the DSDTs were always identicle.

I would have to say that if you have a different chipset, the BIOS would almost have to be different in order to take advantage of the different chipset capabilities, but Kizwan is the master of this department. :)

I installed the retail DVD 10.6.3 using your BootCD 1.15. Then, install Chamelon from your CD; boot my USB HD; copy Extra and Kokomal kernel; reboot and start Apple Update to 10.6.4.; boot -x and restart.

After everything done, I test all the hardware and find that everything works as you described including the little flat remote.

I wish the Synaptics trackpad have multitouch, or at least, tap to click and scrolling. Moreover, DV7 is running hot (720qm in full speed >70C) and seemed that no speedstep working. Thanks again for your hardwork!

Awsome JY371!

I'm glad my docs, including the new Update-installation Guide, is not stearing people wrong, but instead allowing people trouble-free installs, which is so rare in the OSX86 scene! :P

There is probably a way to get the multi-touch to work, in fact, there may even be an updated kext that would allow this. I think I will add this to the list of things to fix.

And the remote bugs me! I'm glad it's working for you and others, but why not me? What is the number on the back of your remote? Mine is:

RC2332201/01B

3139 228 54781

HP SPS: 488435-001

HP RMN: HSTNN-PR19

Never Mind...I figured out..!

Hello ExtraSpeed,

I'm glad you figured it out! :)

I didn't know anything about this, and apparently neither did anyone else. Could you share with us where to get it and how to make it work?

I will add this to part of the standard configuration, giving you credit of course! :)

I don't have HP DVx notebook but I do have Dell Studio 1557 (PM55) & Asus A42JV/K42JV (HM55). I already stop my attempt to install Mac OS X on my Studio since it have ATI Mobility graphic card which is not supported. Now I'm focusing on to my Asus notebook which have NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M. However it have Optimus technology which I'm afraid going to be a problem. I hope not though. :)

If you can post the DSDT file taken in windows, I can compare it with the one you taken in Ubuntu. But I can not check it now since I'm really busy with a lot of works. I will look into it when I have free time. Which model do you have? DV8? What is the BIOS version?

I will be buying the HP DV8t but for now I bought the Asus Notebook G51JX-X5 for $1000 after rebate and after my amex points it comes to $800 US. i7-720QM, 6BG DDR3 but 1066 not 1333. Nvidia 360M which I think is also Optimus Technology but it works flawless in 10.6.4 and MozoDojo Chameleon rev 364 from source. Also SLice FakeSMC with Monitoring. Don't think I have any chips that support this but it still works nicely.

That is the DSDT I posted. I don't have to use CPus=1 nor the Busratio thing unless I am overlooking something?

I'll post the windows version soon.

Does the HP DV8t require CPUS=1 and Busratio settings?

Thanks kizwan

Hey Mammoth and you guys,

I managed to get my dv6 running with all cores...finally(following your guide again, using the alternate smbios.plist and keeping the cpumanagment kext). :-)

However... i installed some programms on the windows system and since then i´m not able to boot into mac osx anymore...i don´t want to mess around too much atm and was hoping on a advice since i remember reading about this problem somewhere before.

Thx once again and have a nice eve.

Greetings

Dragonsoul

Hey Mammoth and you guys,

I managed to get my dv6 running with all cores...finally(following your guide again, using the alternate smbios.plist and keeping the cpumanagment kext). :-)

However... i installed some programms on the windows system and since then i´m not able to boot into mac osx anymore...i don´t want to mess around too much atm and was hoping on a advice since i remember reading about this problem somewhere before.

Thx once again and have a nice eve.

Greetings

Dragonsoul

Great news! (Well at least on the first part.)

Yes, this should be an easy fix. Just boot with the Mammoth Boot CD, then go into OS X. Then just go through the steps of reinstalling Chameleon from Guide 3, pages 5 and 6 (just re-issuing the commands in Terminal), reboot and it should all be back!

NEW FIX ANNOUNCED! 2010-08-31 1:51 PM GMT -8:00

How to enable the TrackPad Preference Pane for your TrackPad! You will now be able to adjust Tracking Speed, Double-Click Speed, Trackpad Gesturing (such as tap-clicking, Dragging, Drag Lock).

Get the needed file from the * FILES SECTION * of the 1st post in this thread.

I will be buying the HP DV8t but for now I bought the Asus Notebook G51JX-X5 for $1000 after rebate and after my amex points it comes to $800 US. i7-720QM, 6BG DDR3 but 1066 not 1333. Nvidia 360M which I think is also Optimus Technology but it works flawless in 10.6.4 and MozoDojo Chameleon rev 364 from source. Also SLice FakeSMC with Monitoring. Don't think I have any chips that support this but it still works nicely.

That is the DSDT I posted. I don't have to use CPus=1 nor the Busratio thing unless I am overlooking something?

I'll post the windows version soon.

Does the HP DV8t require CPUS=1 and Busratio settings?

Thanks kizwan

CPUS=1 & Busratio only required when you're using 10.6 to 10.6.2. Did you installed MacBookPro update on your Asus to get the graphic card working?

Hi , I would like to thank Mammoth for all the hard work to help us get our DV8's working . Excellent guide, easy to fallow, . I did the installation today and everything works ! Audio , webcam , and the " little" remote also works ! at least for the DVD player , one thing I did have before was the " sleep" mode .

How can we make this work ?? I really need this to work on my computer , since I had it working with my last set up i had .

the other thing , I did not created a Win7 partition , since i like the " parallels" program to integrate Win7 with mac , and without having to boot up in to a different partition . It works great !

so far , the system is been stable now for few hours , i did have some freeze problems when I was setting up some programs , but I have not experienced any others since then >

thanks again for the hard work on this project , and I cant wait to be able to put this baby to 'sleep"

:P

Hi , I would like to thank Mammoth for all the hard work to help us get our DV8's working . Excellent guide, easy to fallow, . I did the installation today and everything works ! Audio , webcam , and the " little" remote also works ! at least for the DVD player , one thing I did have before was the " sleep" mode .

How can we make this work ?? I really need this to work on my computer , since I had it working with my last set up i had .

the other thing , I did not created a Win7 partition , since i like the " parallels" program to integrate Win7 with mac , and without having to boot up in to a different partition . It works great !

so far , the system is been stable now for few hours , i did have some freeze problems when I was setting up some programs , but I have not experienced any others since then >

thanks again for the hard work on this project , and I cant wait to be able to put this baby to 'sleep"

:|

Thank you very much Oskr66!

Your kind and considerate post is worth all the work I have done! I am glad it is working so well for you.

About sleep, it's funny you should ask, I was just about to do some testing on that to see if I can get it back.

Stand by for further details. :P

Great news! (Well at least on the first part.)

Yes, this should be an easy fix. Just boot with the Mammoth Boot CD, then go into OS X. Then just go through the steps of reinstalling Chameleon from Guide 3, pages 5 and 6 (just re-issuing the commands in Terminal), reboot and it should all be back!

Hey Mammoth.

Managed to get Osx back after a cold restart.

Guess it simply needed some time after the first come back from windows.

Also I was able to mirror the installation on to the repair partition without problems. :-)

Will report back on the trackpad installation soon.

Have a nice one.

Greetz Dragonsoul

Hey Mammoth.

Managed to get Osx back after a cold restart.

Guess it simply needed some time after the first come back from windows.

Also I was able to mirror the installation on to the repair partition without problems. :-)

Will report back on the trackpad installation soon.

Have a nice one.

Greetz Dragonsoul

Awesome! I really like to hear about people being able to easily solve problems, which seems to be the norm here. I really try hard to make everything as easy and rock solid as possible, and not really being an expert makes it REALLY challenging for me.

The Trackpad updates must be going well for people as I haven't heard of anyone having issues, so once again, I love it! :(

Thanks very much for posting!

Awesome! I really like to hear about people being able to easily solve problems, which seems to be the norm here. I really try hard to make everything as easy and rock solid as possible, and not really being an expert makes it REALLY challenging for me.

The Trackpad updates must be going well for people as I haven't heard of anyone having issues, so once again, I love it! :(

Thanks very much for posting!

Big thumbs ups for that! :-)

Trackpad´s working here too. ;-)

Greetz

Hi Mammoth,

thanks again for the time you taken to help us get things working , I cant wait for you to test the " sleep" issue .

Also today, i noticed that i could not make the card reader to work , I did have it working on my last set up on this same computer , I tried to put the same kext I had las working , but nothing ! so i am not sure if we can put any kexts like b4 and make things work .

I thing those would be the last 2 things I would love to have working .

I could do some testing if you have any ideas ! I would not mind messing the set up , and installing again , since i done it so many times now ...... :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks again for all your help , i have learned so much , it is fun !

:D

Hi Mammoth,

thanks again for the time you taken to help us get things working , I cant wait for you to test the " sleep" issue .

Also today, i noticed that i could not make the card reader to work , I did have it working on my last set up on this same computer , I tried to put the same kext I had las working , but nothing ! so i am not sure if we can put any kexts like b4 and make things work .

I thing those would be the last 2 things I would love to have working .

I could do some testing if you have any ideas ! I would not mind messing the set up , and installing again , since i done it so many times now ...... ;)

Thanks again for all your help , i have learned so much , it is fun !

:D

Hello Oskr66!

Great comments, thanks! I really appreciate your willingness to help. :)

I believe the kext you were using only works in 32-bit mode. You could test this by booting in 32-bit mode with the following boot flag: arch=i386

With the kext loaded, it should work again. We would have to find a 64-bit version of that one. If you can figure out who wrote that one, you could contact them as they have probably updated it to 64-bit mode by now.

Also, you could check this site to see if you can find one: http://www.kexts.com