G5 to ATX Front I/O Cables

enjoyfebruary

540 posts in this topic

Not to beat a dead horse here, but, these might be a possibility. It eliminates the individual housing on each wire and gives you the "bare" plug, which you can put in a multi-housing to create your own plug. Looks pretty easy to do.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1807

@Gatorman, thanks for the suggestion. I think it would work however the male pins will probably not go all the way into the housing as I suspect they're longer (and possibly bigger) than what the original housing will accommodate (see attached pic 1 as an example).

Good news for those who are interested in making the cable. After 3 days and nights searching for parts, I managed to locate the housing and female connectors needed to make the necessary cables.

3.jpg shows an L-shaped 18-pin header going into the original G5 front I/O cable. 4.jpg shows that same header in the new housing. No, you do not need the header for this project. I bought it so that I could check, and double check.

The following is what you'll need, and where you can buy them, if you want to modify wires to fit the front I/O port:

CONN,HOUSING,4521-18,
2mm,18 CKT,2 ROW,VERT,NO KEY #378046 ($0.25 each - only need 1)

Connector Contact Female 1 Position Crimp Straight Cable Mount Bag #668464 ($0.19 each - need 18)

As for the housing units that go onto the motherboard (USB, FireWire, audio, LED, power), you have a couple of options:

1) Salvage from an old case, which will save you time on making the connectors to the motherboard

2) Buy these wires pre-made with appropriate connectors to the motherboard

3) Make your own from scratch (that same company has those parts but you'll have to look them up)

As for myself, I'm going with option 1.

Good luck to you and I hope this was helpful.

post-610944-1277495658_thumb.jpg

post-610944-1277495911_thumb.jpg

post-610944-1277496269_thumb.jpg

post-610944-1277496768_thumb.jpg

post-610944-1277496768_thumb.jpg

post-610944-1277496776_thumb.jpg

post-610944-1277496785_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
@Gatorman, thanks for the suggestion. I think it would work however the male pins will probably not go all the way into the housing as I suspect they're longer (and possibly bigger) than what the original housing will accommodate (see attached pic 1 as an example).

Good news for those who are interested in making the cable. After 3 days and nights searching for parts, I managed to locate the housing and female connectors needed to make the necessary cables.

3.jpg shows an L-shaped 18-pin header going into the original G5 front I/O cable. 4.jpg shows that same header in the new housing. No, you do not need the header for this project. I bought it so that I could check, and double check.

The following is what you'll need, and where you can buy them, if you want to modify wires to fit the front I/O port:

CONN,HOUSING,4521-18,
2mm,18 CKT,2 ROW,VERT,NO KEY #378046 ($0.25 each - only need 1)

Connector Contact Female 1 Position Crimp Straight Cable Mount Bag #668464 ($0.19 each - need 18)

As for the housing units that go onto the motherboard (USB, FireWire, audio, LED, power), you have a couple of options:

1) Salvage from an old case, which will save you time on making the connectors to the motherboard

2) Buy these wires pre-made with appropriate connectors to the motherboard

3) Make your own from scratch (that same company has those parts but you'll have to look them up)

As for myself, I'm going with option 1.

Good luck to you and I hope this was helpful.

Does anyone know where I can buy Motherboard headers for USB, Firewire, Audio and Power connections?

Does anyone know where I can buy Motherboard headers for USB, Firewire, Audio and Power connections?

I answered my own question, heres a great source for USb and other motherboard headers:

http://www.frontx.com/order_c.html

• 1 month later...

Here is a short feedback on the Cable:

Received it, everything works fine, good quality, even more printed documentation than on real Apple products ;-).

So thank you very much.... good job!!!

And one more thing...

If you ever come to germany and like to drink a cold local beverage, just get back to me.

Happy Hacking

I will be making a small batch soon; I dont know how much they will cost (I need to calculate once I get all the components). I think shipping cost to EU countries will be cheap; otherwise the shipping will cost more than the cable. DO NOT ASK FOR IT RIGHT NOW, I will make a post when I've all ready. THERES NO WAITING LIST AT THE MOMENT

If you happen to throw together another batch contact me please

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

does anyone know what gauge wire he used to insert into the 18 pin connector, or can someone recommend what gauge. This is a very small connector 3/4" by 1/8". I am not good at soldering so would prefer re-wiring the connector.

If anyone is selling them I will buy one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

does anyone know what gauge wire he used to insert into the 18 pin connector, or can someone recommend what gauge. This is a very small connector 3/4" by 1/8". I am not good at soldering so would prefer re-wiring the connector.

If anyone is selling them I will buy one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The best I found was 26AWG. Hope that helps! Take care. Dan.

I ordered all the parts last night and will be making my first batch of 10 cables. One will be for me (which is the reason why I'm doing this ;) ). If it all works out, I have no problem making more.

I'm not going to try and recreate the wheel here. My cable will look identical to the cable by dontthroworanges. Right down to the braided sleeving and heat shrink tubing on the ends.

Hopefully the parts show up this week and I can make and test the first one right away and start shipping out cables next week.

PRICE UPDATE: I think dontthroworanges was selling the cable for $25. Unfortunately, because I'm in California and the parts came from a local supplier I had to pay tax and shipping. Not to mention the price of some of these parts may have changed since people started investigating this cable back in 2007. Having said that, I'm anticipating this cable coming out between $35-38.

Pictures of finished cable coming...stay tuned.

My G5 case mod thus far:

LianLibackpanel.jpg

Internal.jpg

Threadedrods.jpg

NonslipforPSU.jpg

MountedPSU.jpg

BackView.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I ordered all the parts last night and will be making my first batch of 10 cables. One will be for me (which is the reason why I'm doing this :lol: ). If it all works out, I have no problem making more.

If you end up doing this please let me know... I'd like to buy 3 straight up if possible :D

UPDATE: Ok, just about done. Wow these things take forever to make!! I'll have 9 cables ready to go. One was for myself. I'll post a picture tomorrow of the finished cable. But it looks identical to the great job donthroworanges did. I bought the identical parts.

Stay tuned..

UPDATE: Ok, just about done. Wow these things take forever to make!! I'll have 9 cables ready to go. One was for myself. I'll post a picture tomorrow of the finished cable. But it looks identical to the great job donthroworanges did. I bought the identical parts.

Stay tuned..

Awesome!

Please count me in for one!!

Tx

:(

Stay tuned..

Count me in as well. I too am interested in purchasing a finished cable. Can't wait to see the pics.

Here you go.

These are 30" cables, same as the original ones posted (all credit goes to donthroworanges) with 18" being braided and 12" being on each individual connector.

You'll notice that I put a small white dot on the cable of the USB connector to notate USB +5V and help you put it in the right orientation on your motherboard header. I also put a dot on one of the single leads to notate POWER BUTTON+.

I may make a cable tester if this becomes a habit, because testing each individual pin is time consuming. If you put together a small circuit with 18 LED's and a mb header pin you could very easily test this finished cable. For now a continuity meter will have to do.

Anyway, enjoy.

I can start shipping as soon as I get email addresses to send paypal invoices to and addresses to figure shipping costs.

Don't worry, if all 9 sell out I'll make another batch for the group. I know they are wanted and I already invested in the damn tools.

I think so far I got a private email for 4.

-Peter

2010-11-30233106.jpg

2010-11-30233143.jpg

2010-11-30233215.jpg

2010-11-30233313.jpg

2010-11-30233540.jpg