[GUIDE] *NEW* Snow Leopard Retail on ASUS P6T Deluxe V1&V2

dgobe

1,773 posts in this topic

There was a discussion about that and it was thought that the new fakesmc just reported the "correct" temp. In other words, there really is no difference. Not sure if that is accurate though. I don't see the temperature difference with my rig so I would make sure you have all of the latest Software Updates installed.

Did you do any Geekbench testing with both configs? I find 3.3, MacPro4,1(with latest audio update) and new fakesmc to give the best results.

Your drives appearing as external just requires you to use OrangeIconFix.kext, no big deal.

Dgobe,

About the correct temp with Netkas or Andy fakesms, maybe, i can't discuiss, but here netkas give's me -7 C

But about the geekbench 2.16 score, they are as follow :

all scores are with Fabio's newest 3.3, and at i7 920 stock speed 2.67 :

1.ESB2 and netkas fakesms = 9405

2.ICH10 and netkas fakesms = 9388

3.ICH10 and andy fakesms = 9406

no big difference

Also , the P6Tkext does not fix (orangefix icon) the external Hdd's issue with ICH 10

Fair enough. I've never had any of those problems, so I'm sticking with GraphicsEnabler.

Not as simple as that. See posts around 783. I've gone back to ESB2.

Didn't get an answer to 'are there any advantages of using ICH10 over ESB2'?

I guess I could use the same reply you gave to scott_donald, fair enough, I've never had any of those problems :)

Someone might be able to help if you provided the output of diskutil list and diskutil info /dev/diskXsY <--One of your volumes that is not recognized as the correct type.

As for which controller to use, I would like to use the one that's closest to the actual silicon on the motherboard. We actually have ICH10R, but ICH10 is as close as you can get with the vanilla kexts. It's hard to know without decent benchmarking tools or support from Apple if this makes any difference at all...that's why it's a Hackintosh. Is there a good disk benchmark for Mac? Someone give it a go...

I guess I could use the same reply you gave to scott_donald, fair enough, I've never had any of those problems :)

do you think bios version could have something to do with why yours works fine with the new boot and mine and TT_DK didnt... i ave never updated my bios...

do you think bios version could have something to do with why yours works fine with the new boot and mine and TT_DK didnt... i ave never updated my bios...

I would revert your boot loader first if you haven't already done that. Asere's or Chameleon RC4 would be fine. Updating your BIOS wouldn't hurt but that's up to you.

I would revert your boot loader first if you haven't already done that. Asere's or Chameleon RC4 would be fine. Updating your BIOS wouldn't hurt but that's up to you.

ye put it back to the previous one...

so so you have an idea why the boot file didnt work for us???

ye put it back to the previous one...

so so you have an idea why the boot file didnt work for us???

I compiled Chameleon from the latest source checkout, there might be a regression in there that is causing issues for certain configurations. Just use the old boot file for now and if I see a significant number of people reporting issues I'll re-package the installer with the old boot file.

I compiled Chameleon from the latest source checkout, there might be a regression in there that is causing issues for certain configurations. Just use the old boot file for now and if I see a significant number of people reporting issues I'll re-package the installer with the old boot file.

cool... thanks...

I guess I could use the same reply you gave to scott_donald, fair enough, I've never had any of those problems :P

Someone might be able to help if you provided the output of diskutil list and diskutil info /dev/diskXsY <--One of your volumes that is not recognized as the correct type.

As for which controller to use, I would like to use the one that's closest to the actual silicon on the motherboard. We actually have ICH10R, but ICH10 is as close as you can get with the vanilla kexts. It's hard to know without decent benchmarking tools or support from Apple if this makes any difference at all...that's why it's a Hackintosh. Is there a good disk benchmark for Mac? Someone give it a go...

I wasn't intending to be rude in my reply to scott, I was simply stating a fact!

I am only interested in whether there are differences between GraphicsEnabler and strings, and ICH10 and ESB2. I have no preference either way. It's just that I hear some people say that one is better than the other in performance terms, but I've never seen any evidence to back it up.

It's all a knowledge building exercise!

Thanks.

EDIT: sorry the 'I was intending' to be rude should have been 'I wasn't intending to be rude!!!

From diskutil:

Correctly identified:

Device Identifier: disk0s3

Device Node: /dev/disk0s3

Part Of Whole: disk0

Device / Media Name: Snow2

Volume Name: Snow

Escaped with Unicode: Snow

Mounted: Yes

Mount Point: /

Escaped with Unicode: /

File System: Journaled HFS+

Type: hfs

Name: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Journal: Journal size 40960 KB at offset 0xe87000

Owners: Enabled

Partition Type: Apple_HFS

Bootable: Is bootable

Media Type: Generic

Protocol: SATA

SMART Status: Verified

Volume UUID: 3A83CFD2-3476-35FF-861F-B181FA3B3F31

Total Size: 498.8 GB (498824364032 Bytes) (exactly 974266336 512-Byte-Blocks)

Volume Free Space: 417.8 GB (417840521216 Bytes) (exactly 816094768 512-Byte-Blocks)

Read-Only Media: No

Read-Only Volume: No

Ejectable: Yes

Whole: No

Internal: No

Device Location: "Bay 2"

Incorrectly identified (as external):

Device Identifier: disk3s2

Device Node: /dev/disk3s2

Part Of Whole: disk3

Device / Media Name: Untitled

Volume Name: Leopard

Escaped with Unicode: Leopard

Mounted: Yes

Mount Point: /Volumes/Leopard

Escaped with Unicode: /Volumes/Leopard

File System: Journaled HFS+

Type: hfs

Name: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Journal: Journal size 16384 KB at offset 0x462000

Owners: Disabled

Partition Type: Apple_HFS

Bootable: Is bootable

Media Type: Generic

Protocol: SATA

SMART Status: Verified

Volume UUID: 9DD2F083-5FA1-3084-9B0B-6457CDBB6F92

Total Size: 150.3 GB (150323851264 Bytes) (exactly 293601272 512-Byte-Blocks)

Volume Free Space: 141.6 GB (141639577600 Bytes) (exactly 276639800 512-Byte-Blocks)

Read-Only Media: No

Read-Only Volume: No

Ejectable: Yes

Whole: No

Internal: No

Device Location: "Bay 4"

I wasn't intending to be rude in my reply to scott, I was simply stating a fact!

I am only interested in whether there are differences between GraphicsEnabler and strings, and ICH10 and ESB2. I have no preference either way. It's just that I hear some people say that one is better than the other in performance terms, but I've never seen any evidence to back it up.

It's all a knowledge building exercise!

Thanks.

EDIT: sorry the 'I was intending' to be rude should have been 'I wasn't intending to be rude!!!

I didn't think you were rude, hence the smiley. I was only trying to say that I didn't know enough to give you an answer. Post the diskutil list output so we can see your partition types(MBR/GUID).

There are a few ways to give OS X the graphics information:

DSDT

Injector kext

EFI string

GraphicsEnabler

I don't think there is one "right" way to do it. All depends on your hardware and you can use any method you want(just one!). Some of those "performance" claims may have been placebo effect and other may be because their particular hardware wasn't fully supported by GraphicsEnabler....they were stuck in a VESA mode with no QE/CI support.

I didn't think you were rude, hence the smiley. I was only trying to say that I didn't know enough to give you an answer. Post the diskutil list output so we can see your partition types(MBR/GUID).

Thanks again. Maybe you missed my edited post above with some diskutil info.

Thanks again. Maybe you missed my edited post above with some diskutil info.

You're welcome...

diskutil list shows the partition scheme (MBR or GUID). I don't know the answer but I was just showing you how to post the information that might enable someone to help you.

You're welcome...

diskutil list shows the partition scheme (MBR or GUID). I don't know the answer but I was just showing you how to post the information that might enable someone to help you.

Thanks. Just carrying on with this for a while.

1) Boot disc 1.15 works perfectly for me.

2) to answer an earlier question, Drive Genius has a comprehensive set of HD benchmarking tests and the results for ICH10 and ESB2 were almost identical.

3) going back to my partition info being mostly wrong using ICH10, I don't understand this. I have 4 exact same drives, all with 2 partitions. 4 Windows and 4 Mac OS X. Why do all 4 NTFS partitions show up as CD/DVD, 2 of the Mac ones (a Leo install and my Time Machine backup) as External, and 2 (my Snow install and Chameleon boot partition) show up correctly as HDs? I can perhaps understand all 4 NTFS being the same, but why are the 2 GUID drives not the same?

post-448042-1274001164_thumb.jpg

Hi people.

some point to correct.

- the FakeSMC I propose with the DSDT 3.3 is the original from netkas with full key from a real MacPro4,1 (and the smc turkley + rev version) SO IS NOT THE MODDED (edited) by Andy

- Probably there is some problem with the lagacy (P6T-Deluxe.kext) for me works well but...

next week I rebuild a new one usin just the (ad2000b + OrangeIconFix) the important thing is for the orangeiconfix need be present in the .mkext (but this is normal if you build it with kext utility)

- As I say I prefer use ICH10 our native controller and not the ESB2 (old from MacPro3,1) but if this change make lot of problem I suggest edit the DSDT with the ESB2 stuff...

Fabio

Hi people.

some point to correct.

- the FakeSMC I propose with the DSDT 3.3 is the original from netkas with full key from a real MacPro4,1 (and the smc turkley + rev version) SO IS NOT THE MODDED (edited) by Andy

- Probably there is some problem with the lagacy (P6T-Deluxe.kext) for me works well but...

next week I rebuild a new one usin just the (ad2000b + OrangeIconFix) the important thing is for the orangeiconfix need be present in the .mkext (but this is normal if you build it with kext utility)

- As I say I prefer use ICH10 our native controller and not the ESB2 (old from MacPro3,1) but if this change make lot of problem I suggest edit the DSDT with the ESB2 stuff...

Fabio

just out of interest fabio which boot file are you using???

Fabio

Thanks Fabio. That's what I do use, 3.3 edited for ESB2.

But, have you any idea of an answer to my question 3) in post 816 above? It doesn't bother me at all, I'm only wondering why 2 exact same drives formatted in the same way can be defined differently.

Is that the fakesmc you PM'd to me? If so, that's the one in the 1.15 installer. I didn't look at it, I just assumed it was the modified one @@smith posted in the other thread where he added additional smc keys.

Isn't it better to leave ad2000b and OrangeIconFix separate? What if someone has an external sound card or an update gives us native support(device ID) for ICH10R? Or one of the kexts needs to be updated for 10.6.x or 10.7? We would have to wait for a P6T-Deluxe.kext update too. It's better if you can add/remove what you need. That's just my opinion but I don't see the point of combining unrelated kexts. This is meant to be constructive :)

I agree with ESB2 vs ICH10 but use what works imacken! Luckily there are no performance problems using ESB2. I'm sure there are not many real Macs with your configuration so there may be a bug in there somewhere.

@ifabio

in my two system I use:

Asere BNL 1.1.9

The action surrounding Chameleon died down quite a bit so I was thinking about switching back to AsereBLN 1.1.9. I was going to modify 1.1.9 for Core i7 detection but the source I checked out from github wouldn't compile and I didn't have time to investigate why. So please report boot problems and I'll re-package 1.15 if necessary.

BTW, 3.3 is working great, thanks for the updates!

-Thanks Fabio for new DSDT

-Thanks Dgobe for installer (I still didn't try it 'cause I had Snow installed since end 2009 and I always upgraded elements manually since then, but my next clean install will be done by it)

-Thanks everybody else for useful technical discussions and general system improvements.

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.3 totally updated + Asere BLN 1.1.9 + DSDT 3.3 + FakeSMC proposed lately by iFabio + OrangeIcons.kext + ad2000b.kext + AppleVIAATA.kext and Graphic Enabler for my ASUS EN9400 GT Silent in a dual screen configuration.

I'm very happy with my system, I spent all saturday evening and monday morning working on a HEAVY Cubase 5 song project with more than 30 tracks, loads of virtual instruments, software fxs and audio samples...just to realize that this is the best system I've used in 14 years of music-making!

Thanks everybody.

Basic Installation Instructions

This assumes the system has a single SATA hard drive and a SATA DVD drive attached. Alternate partition and multi-boot setups may be covered in another post below. Download and extract the attached ISO and burn it to a CD or DVD.

BIOS Settings

Main->Storage Configuration

post-242023-1264296674_thumb.jpg

AiTweaker, all Auto or enabled

post-242023-1264296682_thumb.jpg

Advanced->CPU Configuration, all Auto or Enabled (except A20M disabled)

post-242023-1264296690_thumb.jpg

Advanced->Onboard Devices Configuration (Marvell Storage optional)

post-242023-1264296701_thumb.jpg

Advanced->Chipset->Intel VT-d Configuration (optional)

post-242023-1264296714_thumb.jpg

Advanced->PCIPnP

post-242023-1264296722_thumb.jpg

Power, Some people set Repost to Yes -- helps with wake.

post-242023-1264296730_thumb.jpg

Operating System Install

1. Boot off the boot-132 CD you created, you can hit F8 when the system is POSTing and use the Asus BIOS Boot Selector to choose your DVD drive as the boot drive . You'll end up at a Chameleon boot screen.

2. At this point remove the boot-132 disk and insert the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Installation DVD. Press F5 and after the screen refreshes you'll see the Mac OS X Install DVD as a boot option. Select it using the arrow keys and hit Enter to boot. This starts the retail Snow Leopard installation process. If you boot to a black screen, Start from Step 1 again and after hitting F5, hit Tab. You can try typing in the following kernel flags to get your video working. Try each combination. A visit to netkas.org might help you find information to get your card fully working after installation.
    • -x

• GraphicsEnabler=n

• GraphicsEnabler=n arch=i386

[*]Choose your language and proceed to the next screen.

[*]From the menu at the top of the screen select Utilities->Disk Utility. Select your hard drive and partition it as a GUID(GPT) disk and leave it at the default file system type. Apply the changes so the partition is laid out and the file systems are formatted. Exit Disk Utility.

[*]You can now continue through the retail install process, selecting the Volume you just created as the installation target. When everything is done installing your computer will restart.

[*]Hit F8 during the POST so you get the Asus BIOS Boot Selector screen. Remove the Mac OS X Snow Leopard Installation DVD and put the boot-132 disk back in the drive. Select the DVD drive from the boot selector and press Enter. You will arrive at the Chameleon boot screen again, but this time you will have the hard drive volume you just installed to as a boot option. Use the arrow keys to select it and press Enter.

[*]Enjoy the video and then continue through the Apple setup process. When you get to the Registration screen you should hit Command-Q or Windows Key-Q(the windows key is between the left Ctrl and Alt keys) and skip the registration. Finish up the rest of the installation screens and you'll be left at the OS X Desktop.

[*]In the upper right corner of the screen you will see an icon for the DVD drive. Double-click it and there will be an installer package named P6TDeluxeV2Installer.pkg. Double-click that and go through the installation screens. If you have multiple Volumes select the correct one as the installation target.

[*]Click the Applications folder in the Dock on the lower-right, it will pop open and then you will click the Utilities folder, then click Terminal. At the Terminal screen type in:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Hit Enter and put in your password when prompted.
This will rebuild your extensions cache so the network adapters will be recognized.
You may also have to go to System Preferences in the Dock and then go to the Network icon
for the adapters to be recognized.

[*]Click the Apple in the upper left part of the screen and select Restart...

Remove all disks from the DVD drive and see if you can boot. If you can then you are done! If not, I've encountered some boot problems in testing and the following solution helped.

Solutions to boot problems

This solution requires you to boot off the boot-132 CD/DVD disk and select your hard drive. This will get you to the Desktop so you can try each fix.

• Go to Applications->Utilities->Terminal and try these commands at the prompt.

mount <Enter>
    You should see output similar to this:

/dev/disk3s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
    devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
    map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
    map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)

The first line shows your root volume
    Yours may be mounted on a different device e.g. /dev/disk2s2
    Type in:
    sudo fdisk -e /dev/diskX <Enter> replace X with your drive number

You are now at an fdisk prompt. Type:
    p <Enter> to print the partition table, you will see output like this:

Disk: /dev/disk3 geometry: 60801/255/63 [976773168 sectors]
    Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55
    Starting Ending
    #: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 976773167] GPT 
    2: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused 
    3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused 
    4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused 

Type:
    flag 1 <Enter> To flag your partition as active, it will be the one with id EE.

Type:
    w <Enter> To write the changes, hit y at the reboot warning if present.

Type q <Enter> to quit. Reboot and remove all disks again to see if it works.

If not, boot one more time from the boot-132 disk and select the hard drive.
    Once at the Desktop, double-click the CD/DVD icon and run the
    P6TDeluxeV2Installer.pkg installation package again.

Downloads

7-zip software for Mac:

http://leifertin.info/Leifertin/mac_apps/mac_apps.html

7-zip software for Windows:

http://www.7-zip.org/

7-zip software for *nix:

http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/

• Updated 5/14/2010 v1.15 Release notes: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1468624
  • Updated 4/3/2010 v1.14 Release notes: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1441394
  • Updated 2/3/2010 v1.13 If you select the Processor Independent DSDT it will install Fabio's v3.00 DSDT
    Use v1.12 package to revert if there are problems.
    You can select just the DSDT in the installer, no need to copy main installation files again.
  • Updated 1/26/2010 v1.12 Updated initrd.img to use the latest boot file and added AppleVIAATA.kext for PATA and eSATA support.
    Use 'arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=n' if you have problems booting
  • Updated 1/23/2010 v1.10 Added Processor Independent DSDT(provided by iFabio) to the installer package for those that have a CPU other than the 920 or 940

This attachment is actually an archive created with 7-zip. I had to name it with a .zip extension so it would upload. Please remove the .zip from the end of the filename and use 7-zip to extract the ISO.

If using Safari to download go to Safari->Preferences and uncheck 'Open "safe" files after downloading' in the General section. You can change it back after download

AsusP6TDeluxeV2_boot_132v1.15.7z.zip

AsusP6TDeluxeV2_boot_132_v1.14.7z.zip

AsusP6TDeluxeV2_boot_132v1.13.7z.zip

AsusP6TDeluxeV2_boot_132v1.12.7z.zip

Using the P6TDeluxe v1.15.7z.zip ISO on a P6T-SE I managed to install everything exactly as described as in the above post. Everything went smooth and according to the plan, but at the end, I did not manage to boot into the installation even with the given instructions at the bottom! It just hangs at the blank screen with blinking cursor.

I have followed additional steps at this thread and still am not able to boot and it hangs at the blinking cursor page:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68973&pid=490390&mode=threaded&start=&do=findComment&comment=490390

Please advise, and please do not tell me read and use the search, because i've been at this for many hours reading and attempting everything at insanelymac. Literally gone insane, so here i'm posting.

Please help out.

Thanks

Using the P6TDeluxe v1.15.7z.zip ISO on a P6T-SE I managed to install everything exactly as described as in the above post. Everything went smooth and according to the plan, but at the end, I did not manage to boot into the installation even with the given instructions at the bottom! It just hangs at the blank screen with blinking cursor.

I have followed additional steps at this thread and still am not able to boot and it hangs at the blinking cursor page:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68973&pid=490390&mode=threaded&start=&do=findComment&comment=490390

Please advise, and please do not tell me read and use the search, because i've been at this for many hours reading and attempting everything at insanelymac. Literally gone insane, so here i'm posting.

Please help out.

Thanks

Try this boot file:

boot.zip

Boot from the ISO and then select your Snow Leopard Volume. Unzip the file and move the resulting "boot" file to your Desktop. Go to Applications->Utilities->Terminal.app

type in:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/boot <space> /

reboot

Hello,

I'm newbie, and, I don't have a running MAC O.S. I tried different method and distributions to install for one week with no success. :D

With this guide, it's like a charm, installed quick smoothly with 10.6.3 retail DVD. BIG TANKS :P This is posted from the installed Snow Leopard

As it's for Deluxe and I'm with SE, I tried to applied the DSDT for SE from: ONLY for P6T SE (thx/credits for test to: mauriziopasotti)

also FakeSMC.kext & P6T-SE.kext,

I tried Realtek ALC1200 ICH10 working kext, on 10.5 & SL 10.6 / with spdif-out line-in working for 10.6.3 as well...

Up to now... still no sound (no input/output devices can be selected), not able to go to sleep mode...

when look at system profile, I got for Audio:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x106B00A0

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Internal

Line Out:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone:

External Microphone:

Headphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Optical

Seems all those kext or DSDT work well, maybe I did something stupid?=> it works now for Audio after I remove AD2000B, but now the internal drive in color of orange....

Try this boot file:

boot.zip

Boot from the ISO and then select your Snow Leopard Volume. Unzip the file and move the resulting "boot" file to your Desktop. Go to Applications->Utilities->Terminal.app

type in:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/boot <space> /

reboot

Dogbe, I have successfully performed the given instructions, however no changes. Same issue, blinking cursor on blank screen at boot.

Could it be that the P6T Deluxe Installer v1.15.pkg does not have the right DSDT and Kexts for my P6T SE motherboard?

Please advise, I'm stuck.

Thanks

Dogbe

Hello,

I'm newbie, and, I don't have a running MAC O.S. I tried different method and distributions to install for one week with no success. :(

With this guide, it's like a charm, installed quick smoothly with 10.6.3 retail DVD. BIG TANKS :P This is posted from the installed Snow Leopard

As it's for Deluxe and I'm with SE, I tried to applied the DSDT for SE from: ONLY for P6T SE (thx/credits for test to: mauriziopasotti)

also FakeSMC.kext & P6T-SE.kext,

I tried Realtek ALC1200 ICH10 working kext, on 10.5 & SL 10.6 / with spdif-out line-in working for 10.6.3 as well...

Up to now... still no sound (no input/output devices can be selected), not able to go to sleep mode...

when look at system profile, I got for Audio:

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x106B00A0

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Internal

Line Out:

External Microphone:

External Microphone:

Headphone:

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Optical

Seems all those kext or DSDT work well, maybe I did something stupid?

I'm really silly, I didn't remove the old AD2000B file installed with package, after I remove it, it works... but now I came with orange color for internal drive, any trick to fix? Any people can help? Please=>

fixed. Only the permission in System/Library/Extensions was correct, and Extra/Extensions was not correct, I used the utility fixed and orange icon is gone. ;)

hey i did everything till taking out the 132 boot cd and putting in the snow leopard after that. I get a black screen with a lot of words and stuff... then it just keeps on saying waiting for root device im not sure what to do>?