Windows + VirtualBox = MAC OS

886 posts in this topic

I am really confused. First I tried to install Leopard. It would freeze up sometimes and I would have to restart it, but eventually I was able to have it install. When it restated It would not boot at all. I tried searching for the problem but didn't seem to find anything. Thinking it was a bad install I delete the hard drive image and tried again, but this time it is not doing anything. I start the machine, press F8, type in -v and it flashes some text like normal then when it opens the larger screen it is just blank. I even went and deleted the Leopard profile and started over with a new one but still same thing. What gives, why is it not working anymore to even install it? I used iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 originally, but also tried iATKOS_v7. iATKOS_v7 always freezes at the apple logo.

I am really confused. ..., but also tried iATKOS_v7. iATKOS_v7 always freezes at the apple logo.

This worked for me after patching VB 1.3.6 in XP (32bit)

-----------------------------------

Patching is only later if you want to try Snow Leopard..

The best is to have a unpatched VB when trying to start Leopard versions like iATKOS v7!

Backup these files:

VBoxDD2.dll

VBoxDD2GC.gc

VBoxDD2R0.r0

VBoxVMM.dll

from VB before patching, so you can copy them back if you need to start a new Leopard VM or to use it normal again for Windows VM (or it wont start, from my experience)

-----------------------------------

This settings works good for Leopard VM

1. Change settings on the VM

----------------------------

General

* Name: MAC OS X

* Operating System: BSD

* Version: FreeBSD (64bit)

System

* Base Memory: 1024 MB minimum

* Boot Order: Hard Disk, CD/DVD-ROM

* Extended Features: Enable IO APIC

* Processor(s): 1

* Enable PAE/NX

* Hardware Virtualization: Enable VT-x/AMD-v

Enable Nested Paging

Display

Video Memory: 128 MB

Extended Features: Enable 3D Acceleration

Storage (minimum 10GB)

SATA controller for HDD image Type: AHCI

IDE Controller for CD/DVD device Type: ICH6

Audio

Host Audio: Windows Direct Sound (ALSA Audio Driver for Linux)

Audio Controller: ICH AC97

Network

* Enable Network Adapter

* Attached to: Bridged Adapter

* Name: the networkcard on your host machine

* Adapter Type: Intel PRO/1000 MT Server

* Cable connected

USB

* Enable USB Controller

* Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller

2. Add extra settings for VM

----------------------------

Close VB and edit the .xml file for the VM and add string to the section <ExtraData>:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SupportExtHwProfile" value="on"/>

For network

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/e1000f/0/Trusted" value="1"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/PDM/Devices/PcExt/Path" value="VBoxDD3"/>

This worked for me, except that it does not find Device for sound in MAC OS X..

/Coop

Ok, I just noticed something that might be the problem for me. Even though I enable Nested Paging in the settings, once the VM starts. the little button with the V on it, when I put my mouse over it, it shows the VT-x/AMD-V is enabled, but Nested Paging is disabled. Could it be that my machine does not support it? I am used a Dell XPS 420.

First of all: thanks very much, Black Triniton & Wing. Really gorgeous tutorials.

I have managed to get Leopard running in VirtualBox, installed Snow Leopard (following Wing's guide) but now I get stuck:

When I try to start Snow, my computer (not only the virtual machine) instantly reboots. Has anyone else ever faced this problem ? Unfortunately, I don't even get an error message to work with, it simply crashes, then reboots.

My specs: Windows 7, 32bit, coreduo T7100. Snow Leopard as 64bit.

Has it anything to do with some weird bios settings ?

Cheers,

Jan

Ok, I just noticed something that might be the problem for me. Even though I enable Nested Paging in the settings, once the VM starts. the little button with the V on it, when I put my mouse over it, it shows the VT-x/AMD-V is enabled, but Nested Paging is disabled. Could it be that my machine does not support it? I am used a Dell XPS 420.

I dont know about your computer but check specifications for that model and be sure that it supports for example nested paging. You should be able to see in your BIOS if you can enable this type of stuff..

/Coop

I also see Nested Paging disabled on my XPS 410, but Snow leopard is running fine. I don't think it's the cause of your problem.

I've successfully updated to 10.6.3.

The first thing I did was make a backup copy of the VDI in case all of this didn't work.

Then I booted Snow Leopard and ran Software Update, and of course afterwards it gets a kernel panic on restart. So I booted the Leopard VM (which still has the Snow Leopard VM's disk attached), re-deleted AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and re-installed all the kernel extensions including virtual mouse support.

On first boot, it seemed to hang on the gray splash screen with an endless spinner and no sign of disk or network activity in the status bar of the VM window. I reset the VM, and to my surprise, it booted fine.

Next, I ran Software Update again and installed the March 2010 security patch. This broke virtual mouse support, so I re-applied that again.

My Snow Leopard VM is now fully up to date.

Virtualbox 3.2 Beta 1 has been released, which includes support for Mac OS guests. It works in Linux (no idea about windows guests). Hopefully it will come out of beta quickly (and with the mac features left intact).

Here's the address where you can (as of april 28th, 2010) download the binaries from:

http://213.239.192.22/download/3.2.0_BETA1/

No sound, and the cpu is always >90% (even when the guest is idle), also there are no guest additions -but other than that it works great.

OK I WAS WRONG

I just tried to install ideneb into this thing, and it bombs, I get a black screen after install and doing cpus=1 (and/or adding busratio=7) doesn't work at all.

I have NO IDEA how the hell to fix this, and I have to take back my endorsement.

If you have a previous installation of Mac OS, however, it works great -but making a new VM throughly, totally and completely BOMBS.

I can ping the guest, and from the guest I can ping my host network adapter.

The problem is I cannot ping the router, I cannot access the router any way from the virtual machine... Don't know why...

I'm stumped with the same problem - can't access router or beyond but can access other machines on the LAN just fine.

my machine specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...product=4006020

running iDeneb 10.5.5 in VirtualBox 3.1.6

the mac address shown by ifconfig is 00:00:00:00:00:00 but nothing happens every time I attempt to change it...the change doesn't stick.

any ideas what I could try?

Those aren't errors, just warnings, and in this instance can be ignored.

Ok, if thats the case then somthing else is wrong because I cannot start up Snow Leopard after that step. I get stuck on a dark blue screen that say

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC2 r640

Build date: 2009-07-25 21:16:41

1023MB memory

Then it has an Apple logo and under it it says Snow.

Virtualbox 3.2 Beta 1 has been released, which includes support for Mac OS guests. It works in Linux (no idea about windows guests). Hopefully it will come out of beta quickly (and with the mac features left intact).

(download link etc. snip)

If you look in the manual, it says that for the experimental mac os x guest support an unmodified disc should be used

(p47 in http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/...UserManual.pdf), so hopefully a vanilla disc will install correctly!

Also check out p279 for a bunch of gotchas (hang if you leave power management enabled and the system idle for a long time, cpu always 100%, ...).

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of this out yet.

Ok, if thats the case then somthing else is wrong because I cannot start up Snow Leopard after that step. I get stuck on a dark blue screen that say

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC2 r640

Build date: 2009-07-25 21:16:41

1023MB memory

Then it has an Apple logo and under it it says Snow.

Sounds like you see the Chameleon boot menu. It's not obvious that it's a menu since it's showing only one option for you to choose: Snow, the name of your SL volume. Does it go to the gray Apple screen with a spinner if you press Enter?

If you add:

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist then it will countdown 10 seconds before automatically launching the default (or in this case, only) boot option.

spell.ufb

3. While the SATA HDD/IDE DVD setup does manage to boot the OS, there is no way whatsoever to access the CD/DVD drive. It doesn't show up in the /dev folder, it doesn't show up in the System profiler, it's simply invisible to the OS. This makes installing VirtualBox tools on the guest Mac OS impossible, along with full use of the OS. AFAIK It is not possible to mount ISO/DMG images on any other controller then IDE, and it's not possible to boot your HDD if it's not connected via SATA. So this is currently an irresolvable situation.

Bizarro

One more problem. The virtualbox passthrough IDE CD/DVD drive doesn't appear to be visible to 10.5.5.

The bootloader can see it (which I how I installed in the first place). But once I'm booted up, it doesn't

appear that I can see the CD/DVD drive. I looked in /dev/... but don't see any /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd devices.

Hey guys, I'm facing the same problem as well, but I could get the network working, so I just sending in the ISO files to the Leopard, and use it to mount and install SL from there. BTW, have you guys get the DVD drive problem fixed?

Fantastic!

I'm towards the end of configuration of the "Snow" HD..

I need to change the "mach_kernel" with Mobdin 10.0 SSE3 AMD Only mach_kernel that I downloaded from leohazard.com

How can I do that? Also, should I do the terminal commands (Step 18) before I change the mach_kernel?

Thanks for all the help!

-davi

I am using AMD Phenom II processor. I have gotten Leopard working. I get stuck at this screen when I am trying to run Snow Leopar. Would Be great is someone tell me what I need to do to get it working.

MacOSX.jpg

From my experience Chameleon 2 does not work in VB.. What you need is Chameleon 1

/Coop

Fantastic!

I'm towards the end of configuration of the "Snow" HD..

I need to change the "mach_kernel" with Mobdin 10.0 SSE3 AMD Only mach_kernel that I downloaded from leohazard.com

How can I do that? Also, should I do the terminal commands (Step 18) before I change the mach_kernel?

Thanks for all the help!

-davi

Anyone know what I need to do?

Long story short: How do I install a kernel that I downloaded?

Thanks!

If you look in the manual, it says that for the experimental mac os x guest support an unmodified disc should be used

(p47 in http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/...UserManual.pdf), so hopefully a vanilla disc will install correctly!

Unfortunately, as of now, this will only work on Apple hardware. Any ideas?

Info already shared long ago, please read previous post and you'll find out might you have to replace KERNEL for a more suitable depending of your CPU

I am new to this thread. Can you please give a more specific pointer?

My CPU is a standard Core 2 duo (with VT-X, of course).

The situation is now different with VirtualBox 3.2 and native support for OS-X guests.

My main question is: Can VirtualBox be made to run vanilla SL, on the right Intel CPU?

Thanks, in advance