Drivers for Nvidia Geforce 9400 GT - Success

MacNutty

352 posts in this topic

I have installed 10.5.6 (Chameleon v2.0 RC1) using a BFG 9400GT 512MB (DVI/Svideo/VGA) with the monitor on the DVI port. I have tried using a custom EFI string (osx86 tools) using the custom NVCAP (as well as all the standard ones) for this card which yields no QE/CI. The drivers in this thread which seem to work like a charm, but the card runs at full speed for 3-10 minutes (gaming included), then everything becomes choppy no matter what I am doing. All 3d games, apps and desktop effects are very slow from that point on until the next reboot. I am hopelessly lost, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

It appears that my problem was the card overheating. It was getting up to some critical temperature then going into low power mode, which could only be reset by a reboot. I have since replaced the card with an ATI 4870.

After three days of struggle to get QE and other support back, finally I succeeded. I am posting the kexts for all members having the same graphics card. I would also like to thank this forum for providing me essential guidelines to make this possible. Here are the kexts, just install them with kexthelper.

Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT drivers

NOTE:

Works on Leopard 10.5.5 and above.

Ok fellas, I've tried about a 1000 things so far and my PNY GeForce 9400GT still doesn't work

Here's the basic setup I have

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L

PNY NVidia 9400GT 512MB Video card

I'm upgraded to OS 10.5.6 right now.

Vanilla Kernel, using Munky's EFI bootloader dealy.

Everything works great - LAN, Audio, etc. Using all the kexts around.

However, I can't get the dang 9400GT to support CI/QE. I tried loading nvinject drivers - kernel panic

Installed the EFI strings using OSx86 Tools Utility for a custom device

However, with NVDAResman.kext loaded, I get a kernel panic. Even using the kexts from above

I changed the info.plist in the kext to match the device ID in system profiler, and deleted any other devices from the list:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x064110de</string>

Kernel panic

Tried installing random drivers from the web for Nvidia 9400 that I could find - Kernel Panic

so all Kexts are installed in /system/library/extensions for Nvidia except for NVDAResman.kext. EFI strings are updated, IOPCIPrimaryMatch strings are updated to remove filler and other devices...

The card *works* in that I can get a good resolution by presetting to 1280x1024, but I cant adjust it or support CI/QE. Always Kernel Panics...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

It appears that my problem was the card overheating. It was getting up to some critical temperature then going into low power mode, which could only be reset by a reboot. I have since replaced the card with an ATI 4870.

I had a similar problem with my old 7600 GT.

Only in that case, the capacitors on the card exploded ;)

I have this exact same card as tempest.nano (BFG 9400GT) and am hesitant to try it.

Any thoughts on how to prevent overheating?

Ho Taz. I need your help (from Argentina!)

I have NVIDIA 9400 GT 512 RAM.

I tried uploading my 10.5.4 JAS to 10.5.5 COMBO for install the drivers, EFI Strings.

Everything is fine. Except NV INject that produce PANIC.

The video works good, but QE... forget it. And I bought the machine for edit.

Can you help me?

Here is the info:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x065b

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinjectGo 0.2.0

Displays:

W1942:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

And XBENCH:

Quartz Graphics Test 280.58

Line 224.23 14.93 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 296.79 88.61 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 237.34 19.35 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 236.08 5.95 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 648.50 40.57 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 117.15

Spinning Squares 117.15 148.61 frames/sec

Please, help me!

Thanks a lot!

I had a similar problem with my old 7600 GT.

Only in that case, the capacitors on the card exploded :rolleyes:

I have this exact same card as tempest.nano (BFG 9400GT) and am hesitant to try it.

Any thoughts on how to prevent overheating?

I've taken a closer look at the card that I pulled, and it appears that the fan had completely seized up, so it was simply a hardware problem with my particular card. Go ahead and use it, you should be golden.

I've taken a closer look at the card that I pulled, and it appears that the fan had completely seized up, so it was simply a hardware problem with my particular card. Go ahead and use it, you should be golden.

sweet! Thanks for the info!

Although, let this be a warning to everyone.

I have had two of these cards and one of them had a similar cooling issue.

Tread with caution with the BFG 9400 GT!

AAAAAhhh!. OK. I've been working on this for days!.. solid days! I'm lost. Someone help me please.

This is my card: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218071137169

It's a PNY Verto NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT with 1024MB of DDR2 RAM, model no. VCG9411024GXPB, and Device ID: 0x0641, and Revision ID: 0x00a1.

In order from closest to the mother board to furthest away, I have a DVI-I, S Video, and then VGA.

Here is my current issue:

I get full resolution and Open GL, but no QE.

Here is a picture of my System Profiler:

post-57791-1242816128_thumb.jpg

I'm using this method currently:

1. download Aqua-Mac's drivers http://rapidshare.com/files/156247292/NVID...ver_v2.zip.html

2. Remove all kexts that say *GeForce*, *NVidia*, or *Kush* from System>Library>Extensions (don't forget to throw away the invisible extensions.mkext file). Remove those files also from backup folders created from other installation programs (like OSX86Tools, EFIStudio, KextHelper, etc), and from your Extras folders if you have them with your Chameleon for Hard Drive (if not, then don't worry about it).

3. Install the Aqua-Mac installer (using standard install)

4. Change the DevID to "640" to "641" using nano in Terminal (see image below):

sudo -s

password

nano /System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV50Hal.kext/Contents/Info.plist

(make the changes and then press CTRL-X and RETURN to save and exit)

post-57791-1242817258_thumb.png

5. Create custom GFX string in OSX86Tools (making sure that the OSX86Tools app is on your desktop so it will work right and/or use EFIStudio) and add it to the com.apple.boot.plist file with the following settings:

-name: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT

-RAM: 1024 MB

-NVCAP: DVI-I/VGA

6. Repair Permissions

7. reinstall your EFI bootloader (or just inspect the Extras>Extensions folder on the EFI partition) - this is all to make sure the NVKush and old-style kexts are removed or replaced)

8. Reboot

After all of that, my System Profiler still reads the same, and my QE still doesn't work. See my signature to view my hardware setup.

Any help with this would be deeply appreciated. :)

-------

update: it works. I added extra instructions to what I did so other people can be helped through reading my post.

Thanks to all the contributers to this forum, my card appears to be fully functioning!

I'm kind of with you on this. I have similar problems

I took macnutty's drivers from here:

http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...files/3p3og9olw

I installed the 3 items from here using OSx86 tools, and deleted all files from the extensions folder with GeForce in the name.

Restarted, and got another kernel panic using -v - theres not details in the panic, it just hangs. seems to be when the switch from grey to blue would be. Theres nothing in the panic reporter as well.

Removing NVDAResman.kext via -s, I can boot again. Low and behold, I do see the device reported in system profiler now:

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Device ID: 0x0641

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Display Connector:

But I can't change resolutions, and nothing is supported CI/QE etc.

Any ideas why NVDAResman.kext is causing a kernel panic?? How can I get CI/QE support?

OK. It's working!!! Woot woot!

So it turns out, when I booted with -v, I noticed NVKush still running, even after I had previously uninstalled it. Somehow (may be a feature of the OSX86Tools' "backup kexts" feature, it was loading NVKush from my /OSX86_Backups/Extensions folder every time from boot. So, I removed it from the backup folder and did the following:

1. Delete backed-up NVInject and NVKush kexts found in your OSX86Tools backup and in your Extensions folder (maybe even other places).

2. If you have invisibles turned on, (convenient widget found here that does the Terminal command for you and even restarts the finder), throw away your Extensions.kext file next to your Extensions folder. Or, just use OSX86Tools to delete the extensions cache.

3. Follow the other instructions posted in this thread.

4. Reboot.

Yippee!

Hi! I have Asus Nvidia 9400 GT Silent video (DVI,VGA, S-Video). Mac OS 10.5.4 Retail, Update to 10.5.7, Monitor VGA-DVI, QE supported, but when i try change resolution or play in Game i have Black screen(((

Any ideas? Thanks!

Problem is solved, just reconect from VGA to DVI on Videocard!

OK Fellas, thanks to Hagar|Away on #osx86, All that's necessary is to use STOCK kexts from 10.5.6

Then just load NVinject, properly updated with the NVCAP and Device ID for the PNY GeForce 9400 GT 512MB

100% working.

Edited NVinject.kext posted here for your convenience:

NVinject.kext.zip

I have a MSI 9400 GT 1 gb card

I got everything working with the instructions provided with the exception of HDMI out working.

Any one have any info on how i can get that setup and working. Would be nice to have that so i can use this box as a media server.

After three days of struggle to get QE and other support back, finally I succeeded. I am posting the kexts for all members having the same graphics card. I would also like to thank this forum for providing me essential guidelines to make this possible. Here are the kexts, just install them with kexthelper.

Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT drivers

NOTE:

Works on Leopard 10.5.5 and above.

It works with 10.5.7 also

Is there any way to get audio over HDMI working. I have a Gigabyte 9400 GT with the HDMI port, and would like to get this working if possible.

i got graphics working 100% yesterday and i figured out that the kernal panics where from a bad amd updater i got off of piratebay

but zip your kexts and upload them to mediafire and post the link and i will work it them and i think i can get yours working 100% too Oh and Download the pref pane called "Secretes" http://secrets.blacktree.com/ and go to the system tab on the left and scroll down and enable quartz open Gl and Disable Beame Sync

hi man i was wonder if you could help get my card working 100%, i made work with nvidia 9000 drivers and efi string and also with nvdarwin but i think is not working 100 percent . Would you point me in the rigth direction

my card is a msi 9400gt low profile device id 0x0641 revision 0x00a1 im using hdmi out since i dont have a monitor and use my tv i dont know my nvcap numbers but the nvcap i used for efi string is DVI/DVI and worked for the hdmi

thanks in advance

YES!!!! :)

Buy a ASUS EN9400GT 512MB! It's very easy to get this card to work.

Just got this baby to work from installing 1 kext and a easy tweak. And now I am using glorious 1080P.

Download Kext:

Asus EN9400GT 512MB

How to get the card working:

1. Install the kext using "Kext Helper"

2. Reboot ----

3. Download and open OSX86Tools and click "Enable/Disable Quartz GL"

4. Then click "Enable QuartzGL"

5. Reboot ----

Thats it, too easy! :P

Check it out!

picture3zhq.th.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the same successful result as taz_10 (post #38) using the NVdarwin.kext he posted.

I have a PNY nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 512mb PCIe 2.0 card.

The EFI string actually works for me (STOCK 10.5.6 iPC) resolution wise but CI/QE is not supported (core image stays Software instead of Hardware Accelerated).

Anyway, I hope it helps anybody that has the same card.

From the System Profiler:

Chipset Model: Unknown NVIDIA Card

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.5

Displays:

DELL E207WFP:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

ok thanks to fireofanor i got my card working except for QE.

here is how "ps when you choose a resalution press the power button for 1 second and then pres it agane and you will see the changes"

first, remove any injectors nvinject or natit and reboot. Install 9 series drivers "http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132089"

, reboot.

Get OSX86Tools and install it on your application folder. open it and follow the instructions and reboot again.

Click "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag". "GFX Strings", "Custom GeForce hex".

Select a device name, amount of memory and VGA/DVI configuration.

Copy the generated EFI-string.

Open terminal and use this command '' sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist ''

Find the line there and paste your EFI-string inbetween <string>HERE</string> without space.

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>paste the EFI-string here</string>

Save the file (CTRL-O), Enter, and exit. (CTRL-X) then type '' exit '' close the terminal.

Repair permissions and clear the kext cache.. do it with OSX86Tools and reboot. i hope that gonna work to you

3 days trying to install my video card.

IPC updated my 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 version thinking that would run my 9400 GT 512mb card but is in a black screen.

I tried using this tutorial but crashes reviewed

3 days trying to install my video card.

IPC updated my 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 version thinking that would run my 9400 GT 512mb card but is in a black screen.

I tried using this tutorial but crashes reviewed

I had this and realize that connecting to DVI port (with DVI to VGA adapter) did the trick.

But, i beleive my card is not performing well. Only about 110 score at open Gl Xbench

not worked on my xfx 9400 gt.

that this model will work?

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Device ID: 0x065b

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Hi all in a noob on this form but been osx'n for a while

I am having mean problems with this

i get black screen on my dvi port when i do this fix

i also get invisible windows

When i drag and when i scroll in any folder or website

eveything bunches up or warps together

Can anyone help

my set up

Ipc 1.5.6

GA-ep45-ud3lr

2.8 duo core

4gb mem

xfx Geforce 9400gt 1gb

Hi All,

First time post, but have been searching and reading trying to get Quartz Extreme and Core Image working on my systems.

Details:

• iAtkos v7 10.5.7 (9J61)
  • Kernel 9.7.0 Voodoo

System Setup:

• MB: Gigabyte GA-K8n-Ultra SLI (latest F7h BIOS)
  • CPU: AMD 3200+
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Graphics: Asus EN9400GT 1GB (HDMI, DVI and VGA output)
  • lspci output (from linux):

05:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation D9M-20 [GeForce 9400 GT] [10de:0641] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Device and Vendor ID: 0x064110de

NVCAP string: 04000000000003000c0000000000000700000000

I've tried a number of different things:

1. The Kexts that Macnutty posted
  2. The other kexts that were posted which replaced all the Nvidia related Kexts.
  3. Modifying the Device ID's as per: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4
  4. Modifying the Device ID's in NVDANV50Hal.Kext and NVDAResman.kext
  5. Tried the "Nvidia_9000_Series_Driver_v2.zip" posted on this thread
  6. Tried NVinject, NVenabler

It simply won't accept QE/CI enabled...

Is it the AMD and Nvidia combo, it seems that most people that have it running are running Intel CPUS?

Any help would be be very much appreciated!