Full solution for Zotac IONITX Atom 330 for 10.6.x SL

458 posts in this topic

do you prefere kernel in 32bit mode or 64bit? (i can boot up with all of those)

If that question was for me, I prefer 32-bit on systems with less than 4GB RAM. Even though I can boot the system in both modes, I find the 64-bit mode has been more unstable and typically 64-bit is also slower due to increased requirements for double wide I/O and pointers. I'm surprised that a lot of folks seem to think that 64-bit mode means the system is "faster." Typically, 64-bit capable CPUs try hard to maintain equal performance in 64-bit as with 32-bit, but because memory addresses and pointers are now twice as wide, it costs more bus and cache to run in 64-bit. And with careful optimization and alignment in compilation, it's possible to put two 32-bit int or two single 32-bit FP values into a 64- or 80-bit wide Int or FP register and cut in half the cycles per instructions required to do computation.

And call it bias. But just in my experience, it can take close to a decade to really get 64-bit OS and kernel module support to be robust, portable, and perform optimally. IMHO. :-)

If that question was for me, I prefer 32-bit on systems with less than 4GB RAM. Even though I can boot the system in both modes, I find the 64-bit mode has been more unstable and typically 64-bit is also slower due to increased requirements for double wide I/O and pointers. I'm surprised that a lot of folks seem to think that 64-bit mode means the system is "faster." Typically, 64-bit capable CPUs try hard to maintain equal performance in 64-bit as with 32-bit, but because memory addresses and pointers are now twice as wide, it costs more bus and cache to run in 64-bit. And with careful optimization and alignment in compilation, it's possible to put two 32-bit int or two single 32-bit FP values into a 64- or 80-bit wide Int or FP register and cut in half the cycles per instructions required to do computation.

And call it bias. But just in my experience, it can take close to a decade to really get 64-bit OS and kernel module support to be robust, portable, and perform optimally. IMHO. :-)

thank you :(

but.. a question: Why intel put 64bit mode on Atom if pointers get full limitated cache (it is not so big), if this mode can afflict CPU calculating performance?

i see with 32bit kernel system boots up faster, about 45sec (x64 needs 60+ secs), and, maybe, system is faster than 64bit (in opening tab, finder, ecc ecc).. maybe 32bit kext is better compile than 64bit.. maybe....

Why enable 64-bit in Atom? You'll have to ask Intel that. And it really didn't make sense to me because back in early days when the 230 and 330 Atom CPUs came out, the CPU has a bunch of stepping registers. And it would return back type of CPU that only supports 4GB max memory. Some OS boot loaders that didn't have a perfect algorithm for deciphering processor stepping and instruction set architecture would use such registers as clues to determine what type of OS to boot into. I know early versions of GRUB did this and would return the ISA as 32-bit. Which was wrong. But the CPU was limited only to 4GB, and single socket.

So, yeah, it's a good question. I think however, that the main test of Atom was feasibility of low-power, 64-bit multi-core. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something with more cores, keep the hyperthreading, grow the TLB and increase the size of cache a bit and remove the 4GB memory addressibility issues. It'd make for a killer web server processor or multi-channel work group NAS server at just sub-2Watts per core, or even sub 1Watt per strand of computation if you count hyperthreading. Ever wonder if OSX server would maximize the advantage on something like this?

Why enable 64-bit in Atom? You'll have to ask Intel that. And it really didn't make sense to me because back in early days when the 230 and 330 Atom CPUs came out, the CPU has a bunch of stepping registers. And it would return back type of CPU that only supports 4GB max memory. Some OS boot loaders that didn't have a perfect algorithm for deciphering processor stepping and instruction set architecture would use such registers as clues to determine what type of OS to boot into. I know early versions of GRUB did this and would return the ISA as 32-bit. Which was wrong. But the CPU was limited only to 4GB, and single socket.

So, yeah, it's a good question. I think however, that the main test of Atom was feasibility of low-power, 64-bit multi-core. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something with more cores, keep the hyperthreading, grow the TLB and increase the size of cache a bit and remove the 4GB memory addressibility issues. It'd make for a killer web server processor or multi-channel work group NAS server at just sub-2Watts per core, or even sub 1Watt per strand of computation if you count hyperthreading. Ever wonder if OSX server would maximize the advantage on something like this?

maybe x64 on atom increase stability/security

omh.. here you can see a server with many atom cores runs in 64bit mode, this has a good power consuption with hight performance, what you told me ;)

thank you for answers

i all,

a have a problem with XBMC on my installation, tried both 10.6.4 and 10.6.6, files from polvorito.

xbmc (10 - 10vdafix and 10.1 final) not play my files well, drop a lot of frames(like VDA decoding problem).

I not find a way for make if working good. :)

is only a my problem?

for me xbmc works perfecly in my 311c netbook(10.6.6) on hdmi out, but not on zotac.

not works only for me???

tnx in advance.

theSLug

EDIT: i found another problem, probably DSDT related. the lan card stopped working if i reboot to ubuntu, reborn only if i detach the power connector from the board and restart the system from 0. is an annoying bug on a dual boot system. when i have time, i try to make my dsdt, fix the RTC and try with it. but xbmc is my priority, please help me. :)

i all,

a have a problem with XBMC on my installation, tried both 10.6.4 and 10.6.6, files from polvorito.

xbmc (10 - 10vdafix and 10.1 final) not play my files well, drop a lot of frames(like VDA decoding problem).

I not find a way for make if working good. ;)

is only a my problem?

for me xbmc works perfecly in my 311c netbook(10.6.6) on hdmi out, but not on zotac.

not works only for me???

tnx in advance.

theSLug

EDIT: i found another problem, probably DSDT related. the lan card stopped working if i reboot to ubuntu, reborn only if i detach the power connector from the board and restart the system from 0. is an annoying bug on a dual boot system. when i have time, i try to make my dsdt, fix the RTC and try with it. but xbmc is my priority, please help me. :D

try to use plex media server

did anyone ever get osx to work on the ion ge?

sure.. g-e as the same as f-e, so, it works

you need this files.. OSX86TOOL.. kernel atom patched from first post of this thread

you need a real mac.. extract HD from your zotac and connect it to a mac (with usb-sata adaptor), -install snow leopard from mac into Zotac HD partition

-install snow leopard combo upgrade you want into Zotac HD partition

-install Chameleon into Zotac HD partition

-Replace Extra folder with this one in my pack (you see it in /root/ of Zotac HD partition)

-open OSX86tools, change kernel by pressing on Install or Restore Kernel, you have to download the right one from first post, there is a kernel for 1 upgrade, so, if you have version 10.6.4, you HAVE TO install kernel 10.6.4

-shut down mac, reconnect Zotac HD to g-e, now it should works

oh.. in bios you have to select AHCI, in SATA mode snow leopard DON'T BOOT

it's easy to install :thumbsup_anim:

Hi all! This thread has been amazing, I've got an IonITX-F-E running 10.6.6, just about everything working, 4gb ram. I'm slowly learning the ins-and-outs of this game, but had some questions and thoughts to share.

Everything was working well enough in 10.6.4; I changed the hex value in Polvorito's DSDT to reflect 4gb ram, and had sound, wifi, sleep, restart, shutdown all working. I updated to 10.6.6 and lost sound. I tried various kexts (applehda for 10.6.2, legacyhda, etc). None of them worked. I installed VoodooHDA, which worked like a charm but have since lost sleep. Is this a sleep/wake image issue that can be resolved by editing DSDT? I've noticed 10.6.6 to have better graphic performance than 10.6.4, and would rather not roll back.

Many many thanks to all who have made my (and others) server a killer success!

Thank you iba21

I was finally able to get it working using your guide and some computer trickery ;)

I did have a few issues with the installation due to my lack of owning an actual mac

to give a little advice to any other people who might be using the ION G-E board; to enable sound you need to use the latest VoodooHDA.kext which can be found here VoodooHDA website/

And as another note, if your board kp's when booting up and says that there is a kernel-cpu mismatch.

u should try booting using -x -v because it will typically kp but tell you what is having an issue. cause when i did it, it told me that it was having a backtrace issue with the "Appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext" so i used my other hackintosh to remove the kext which fixed the problem. btw i was running 10.6.3 at the time, i was later able to upgrade to 10.6.6 which replaced the kext i deleted with a newer one that works.

Edit 4/4/2011: the Atom kernel for 10.6.7 has been released, just make sure to uninstall voodooHDA before you update, or else it causes kp when you try to boot afterwards and a bunch of other complications.

nice, but, i bought last day a p-e version, with celeron u2300, and, now snow leopard FLYES

it's faster, and snow leopard doesn't need kernel patch, only applehda kext for audio, it's all ok, faster, and easyer

if you can change you motherboard, get a p-e and use it :hysterical:

Edit 4/4/2011: the Atom kernel for 10.6.7 has been released, just make sure to uninstall voodooHDA before you update, or else it causes kp when you try to boot afterwards and a bunch of other complications.

...so how are you enabling sound at 10.6.7??

Im still trying to find a fix, theoretically the VoodooHDA works with 10.6+, but I am still having issues with sound even though I reinstalled it.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone ever figure out a real fix for the CMOS issue besides just unchecking the "Wake for Network access"- This causes my IONITX A-U to have the issue, when I send the WOL packet, to wake from sleep but the OS doesn't reload only the board is re-powered.

Any advice would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

i havent used my ge for awhile cause i no longer have a monitor for it. but last night i was able to connect to my tv, and started to tinker around with the sound issues and found that for 10.6.7 you cant use the voodoohda 10.5/10.6+ installer, instead you have to use the dedicated 10.6+ voodoohda kext

http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/downloa...mp;can=2&q=

Hi everybody,

thanks for this awesome thread.

Last Weekend I did a bit Research on this and tried to install 10.6.x on my ION A-E. I was focused on 10.6.6 but at least I got 10.6.7 running - inculding Sound, Wifi and Sleep working. I would like to share my steps with you just in case someone would like to do the same and don´t want to read the full thread here.

How To:

1)

Do a clean Install on 10.6.x using your Mac, VM or whatever you use as your „real“ Mac to set everything up - I followed the steps from eugene k2, michael and Polvorito, connected my future-hackintosh-HD via Sata to USB-Adapter to my MBP, formated everything (on the new HD for sure) as Mac OSX Journaled (Extended) and installed OSX 10.6.1 (I´ve tried „Install-DVD“ and „Upgrade-DVD“ of SL - both are working fine)

2)

Do the 10.6.7-Combo-Update (get it directly from Apple) on your focused HD but avoid to Restart after the Update is finished! Do NOT Resart yet!

3)

Download the hackintosh-package from b-g (hackintosh_zotac_ionitx_b_g_10.6.7_v3.3.zip ) by nozyczek on this page: http://sites.google.com/site/nozyczek/home...otac-ionitx-b-g

4)

Use Terminal to install the package as mentioned in the guide. It will install the atom-kernel, chameleon, DSDT and some kext.

5)

Repair permissions using Disk-Utility

6)

Restart your Hackintosh-HD

7)

Power off your Mac (or just unmount the hackintosh HD) and connect the HD to your Zotac A-E-Hackintosh

8)

Set BIOS-Settings as mentioned by nozyczek (AHCI, USB Fullspeed, PowerManagement Disabled and so on)

After Restart you will have NO SOUND, NO WIFI and NO SLEEP / REBOOT. Here we have to do some further steps:

Solution for SOUND:

Install AppleHDA-Kext from polvorito´s package using kexthelper B7 or something else to S/L/E. Repair permissions using Disk-Utility and restart. Sound should be working now (but still no Sound via HDMI). You can also use VoodooHDA if you want, but I had some strange noise-feedback on the speakers concerning to this driver.

Solution for WIFI:

Use the Atheros AR9285-Kext from Kexts.com (http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=462) - 2.28 MB-Package. Install this kext using kexthelper or whatever and wait until it has done its job. Repair permissions using Disk-Utility. Now Wifi should come up. No Restart required.

Solution for SLEEP (not fully working for me):

I use the newest version from Ev0reboot (http://www.osx86.es/?p=749) and replaced it with the one in E/E.

After that I´ve got a full working hackintosh on 10.6.7 and as mentioned by nozyczek, all updates provided by the software-update-utility from apple can be installed without problems.

Start to enjoy. :moil:

Btw: I haven´t wrote in English for a long time. So please excuse the bad grammar.

AWESOME!!!

Thanks Magic for the simple easy to follow instructions... This works like a charm with no issues that i have found for me.

I had previously got my zotac fe up to 10.6.6 using this forum but it I struggled as it seemed to lag and had USB issues, but that was with me trying the different DSDTs and DSDT mods I could find for the zotac.

My question, is there any somewhat detailed instructions or tips to modifying a DSDT. I assume that just Because the system profiler says I have 4g of RAM, doesn't mean it's being used... I have looked around, but have found different values to use for 4g of ram.

That being said, are there any tips on over clocking as well, looks like it had been done on 10.6.4 here, but not since.

AWESOME!!!

Thanks Magic for the simple easy to follow instructions... This works like a charm with no issues that i have found for me.

I had previously got my zotac fe up to 10.6.6 using this forum but it I struggled as it seemed to lag and had USB issues, but that was with me trying the different DSDTs and DSDT mods I could find for the zotac.

My question, is there any somewhat detailed instructions or tips to modifying a DSDT. I assume that just Because the system profiler says I have 4g of RAM, doesn't mean it's being used... I have looked around, but have found different values to use for 4g of ram.

That being said, are there any tips on over clocking as well, looks like it had been done on 10.6.4 here, but not since.

I´m glad that my steps are working for you :wacko: But the Credits will go to eugene k2, polvorito and of course to nozyczek.

Here are my thoughts about the mentioned modifications:

4GB-Ram:

We should take a look at the DSDT from eugene_k2 to find the differences on how to enable the full 4GB. This should be not that difficult. Maybe we can take the settings from eugene_k2 and combine it with the DSDT from nozyczek?!

Overclocking:

As noticed by polvorito the CPU-Speedset is written down in somewhat as p- and c-states in the DSDT Powermanagement. I don´t know if this would work, but it should be possible to set the FSB in the DSDT to 667Mhz. I absolutely don´t know how the CPU and FSB is set up in DSDT but I will take a look at that on the weekend. Maybe someone with more experience on this can give us a hint about how to modify what?

Some more general questions, I’ve been reading how ‘system profiler’ and ‘about my Mac’ do not show the actual system information as it is cosmetically updated from SMBIOS.plist. How can you tell what your system is actually using? Is there a program that will display the actual info like actual ram, temps, speeds, FSB, etc.?

My system is working pretty well; does anyone else have issues such as your mouse pointer becoming choppy at times or other general lag? I am using a wireless USB mouse, so that might be, but Windows and Linux both seem more responsive than Slow Leopard has for me.

4G RAM:

I managed to get my DSDT from an Ubuntu live disc to see the values in there. Comparing mine with Eugene’s DSDT from the first post, I modded updated nozyczek’s for 4g RAM…

The system shows RAM at 3G but apparently will as 512M is allocated to the video… [Please, correct me if this is wrong]

The hard part was installing the new DSDT. I could use DSDTSE to modify and compile the .aml but it would not install it, so I had to copy my new .aml and .dsl files into nozyczek’s installation folder under /extra/DSDT and named them as his were for good measure ;) Then run his installer again as per his instructions and repair disk permissions.

IS THERE AN EASIER WAY TO INTSTALL NEW DSDT’S? Of course I can’t get access to the /extra folder just to drop it in…

OVERCLOCKING:

I had gotten my BIOS overclocked to FSB 650, and increased the chip voltage to 1.10v and Snow Leopard starts and runs fine. I don’t think its stable as if left on overnight it will crash. Of course the BIOS shows it running faster, but the OS shows if at 533. I still haven’t been able to check out this in the DSDT yet as it took forever to try to install the ram mod.

Of course I can upload files/screenshots if need be…

Hi there, I am having two little problems with my Zotac A-E Hackintosh (OSX Server).

I switched from 10.6.2 to 10.6.4, but now my Bluetooth dongle doesn't work anymore.

It worked before, but I don't know why it stopped working now :<

While configuring a new Bluetooth Device the system says it is "searching for device" but unable to find any.

Ok in hope to get this problem fixed I updated to 10.6.7 which led to another problem.

(I installed the 10.6.7 Comboupdate , I added the "hackintosh_zotac_ionitx_b_g_10.6.7_v3.3.zip" and repaired the permissions.)

Now my system is hanging in the grey apple boot logo screen.

It keeps and keeps loading (for several hours, but nothing is happening).

Does anyone know how to fix one of this two issues?

1) How can I release my system from hanging in the grey boot logo screen?

2) How can I fix my Bluetooth Issues in 10.6.4 or in 10.6.7?

1) How can I release my system from hanging in the grey boot logo screen?

As always, start in verbose mode (-v) and read what messages are given when it is hanging.

When Chameleon starts to boot the hard drive, press any key to stop it. Type: -v followed by <Enter>.

Read the screen or post a screen shot when it hangs.

Some more general questions, I’ve been reading how ‘system profiler’ and ‘about my Mac’ do not show the actual system information as it is cosmetically updated from SMBIOS.plist. How can you tell what your system is actually using? Is there a program that will display the actual info like actual ram, temps, speeds, FSB, etc.?

My system is working pretty well; does anyone else have issues such as your mouse pointer becoming choppy at times or other general lag? I am using a wireless USB mouse, so that might be, but Windows and Linux both seem more responsive than Slow Leopard has for me.

4G RAM:

I managed to get my DSDT from an Ubuntu live disc to see the values in there. Comparing mine with Eugene’s DSDT from the first post, I modded updated nozyczek’s for 4g RAM…

The system shows RAM at 3G but apparently will as 512M is allocated to the video… [Please, correct me if this is wrong]

The hard part was installing the new DSDT. I could use DSDTSE to modify and compile the .aml but it would not install it, so I had to copy my new .aml and .dsl files into nozyczek’s installation folder under /extra/DSDT and named them as his were for good measure :) Then run his installer again as per his instructions and repair disk permissions.

IS THERE AN EASIER WAY TO INTSTALL NEW DSDT’S? Of course I can’t get access to the /extra folder just to drop it in…

You just need to give yourself the permission to read/write in the Extra-Folder. I used the Information-Tool in Finder to add permissions for my account. After that you should be able to add, delete or edit new files (like the DSDT).

OVERCLOCKING:

I had gotten my BIOS overclocked to FSB 650, and increased the chip voltage to 1.10v and Snow Leopard starts and runs fine. I don’t think its stable as if left on overnight it will crash. Of course the BIOS shows it running faster, but the OS shows if at 533. I still haven’t been able to check out this in the DSDT yet as it took forever to try to install the ram mod.

Of course I can upload files/screenshots if need be…

Same here. The Bios said that the Board is running on 667 FSB (in my case) but OSX is showing 533. I have no Idea how to fix this yet.