Patched mach_kernel 10.6.0 for Atom-based netbooks

teateam

347 posts in this topic

Now it work! Without NullCPUPM and SleepEnabler and VoodooPower... but now not work SpeedStep :)

Now i'm try make ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin profile for my netbook...

Cool. I think for native AppleIntelCPUMangagement to work require a bit of hacking DSDT. Let us know how you get on with ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.

Hi there. Had the same KP issues as others I'm afraid. Followed the instructions (at least I think I did).

When I went to software update however, it seems like before I had to hit 'restart', only a new iTunes version was installed. I assumed that during the shut down process the 10.6.2 update would be installed, but unfortunately all that popped up were error messages, saying that the update could not be installed...

Thoughts?

only a new iTunes version was installed

AFAIremember itunes doesn't require reboot to be installed. safari does and it indeed turned 4.0.4 (lol) recently. as for kp - all cases in this thread are due to using old (pre-10.6.2) sleepenabler

ok this is how I installed the mach_kernel on my Wind 100

I downloaded the sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2

Downloaded the patched kernel for atom

I then installed the sleepenabler.kext and rebuilt caches

Then I unzipped the mach_kernel to my desktop

opened Terminal

sudo -s

mv mach_kernel /mach_kernel.atom

cd /

chown 0:0 mach_kernel.atom

I then installed the 10.6.2 update

It will reboot and install the update when you see the chameleon boot screen type mach_kernel.atom

You will then boot to 10.6.2 fter you bootup completes open terminal again

sudo -s

mv mach_kernel.atom /mach_kernel

chown 0:0 mach_kernel

then reboot

How can this be installed to use EFI and be 100% Vanilla?

You would need to have a copy of the patched kernel on your EFI partition, and add a line in the boot.plist to tell it to use it instead of the official kernel. I don't know how it would react if you have multiboot though.

You would need to have a copy of the patched kernel on your EFI partition

why the heck? :D efi is used for bootloader, boot.plist and hardware specific kexts to reside only. mach_kernel is to be kept on SL partition.

the only thing to do to have fully working 10.6.2 is update to it and then REPLACE the original mach_kernel with the patched one before system restart. DONE.

NSCXP2005, now there's NO WAY to be 100% Vanilla with Atom under 10.6.2 (you are, actually. but till the next SU (10.6.3 ^_^. what tea's done is the ONLY WAY for now to run 10.6.2 with Atom

BTW, seems tea owns NC10. so the best way for you is to follow his blog news (see first post for links)

why the heck? ;) efi is used for bootloader, boot.plist and hardware specific kexts to reside only. mach_kernel is to be kept on SL partition.

the only thing to do to have fully working 10.6.2 is update to it and then REPLACE the original mach_kernel with the patched one before system restart. DONE.

NSCXP2005, now there's NO WAY to be 100% Vanilla with Atom under 10.6.2 (you are, actually. but till the next SU (10.6.3 ;). what tea's done is the ONLY WAY for now to run 10.6.2 with Atom

BTW, seems tea owns NC10. so the best way for you is to follow his blog news (see first post for links)

That's right, my mistake. Basically, you update your OS to 10.6.2, then you download the patched kernel, put it at the root of your partition, and in the boot plist, you add the entry "kernel" and the value is the name of the patched version.

Beland is absolutely right, 10.6.2 won't be Vanilla on our Atoms anyway. But I can see the "philosophical/psychological" value of running Vanilla.

What would the plist entry be to get it to boot 64bit!?

first - use the right patched kernel (64-bit ready) from here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1328503

then, use value:

arch=x86_64

try it out during chameleon start as a string (it will override your boot.plist value). if succeeded - put into plist

p.s. may need kextcache to be rebuilt for correct performance

You would need to have a copy of the patched kernel on your EFI partition, and add a line in the boot.plist to tell it to use it instead of the official kernel. I don't know how it would react if you have multiboot though.

Umm no

the kernel on a efi system goes in root directory

not the efi partition

That is how it works on my Wind which is using efi

<br />AppleIIGuy,<br /><br />Could you explain how I can get it working on a NC10 which is the same as a MSI Wind.<br /><br />How do I install 10.6.2 and apply the patched kernel?<br /><br />I am on a EFI system.<br /><br />Thank for your time<br /><br />All the best<br /><br />NSCXP2005<br />
<br /><br /><br />

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191255

That will get you 10.6.0 and you can use my previous post to got to 10.6.2

10.6.2 on my Dell GX280 P4 3,2GHz!!

I know it's running 10.6.1 kernel but hey, it's a P4, at least I could update via Software Update, and just boot from my mach_kernel.1061!!

Sleep/Wakeup works!

SticMAC

@TeaTeam.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a P4 EMT64 Processor kernel!? :(

Not intending to hijack the conversation, but I am interested in how you got Sleep/Wakeup working on your P4. Neither works on my 10.6.2 P4 system. Could you send me a PM with some related info?

Thanks.

Took a stab at modifying the actual kernel sources. Here is a link to a 32bit and 64bit build.

Here is the link for anyone who wants to test and give me feedback... I don't have an atom to test with.

http://rapidshare.com/files/309867800/mach..._carpathian.zip

Also here is the code I changed:

osfmk/i386/cpuid.c :: cpuid_set_cpufamily

static uint32_t
cpuid_set_cpufamily(i386_cpu_info_t *info_p)
{
uint32_t cpufamily = CPUFAMILY_UNKNOWN;

switch (info_p->cpuid_family) {
case 6:
	switch (info_p->cpuid_model) {
	case 13:
		cpufamily = CPUFAMILY_INTEL_6_13;
		break;
	case 14:
		cpufamily = CPUFAMILY_INTEL_YONAH;
		break;
	case 15:
		cpufamily = CPUFAMILY_INTEL_MEROM;
		break;
	case 23:
		cpufamily = CPUFAMILY_INTEL_PENRYN;
		break;

case CPUID_MODEL_NEHALEM:
	case CPUID_MODEL_FIELDS:
	case CPUID_MODEL_DALES:
	case CPUID_MODEL_NEHALEM_EX:
		cpufamily = CPUFAMILY_INTEL_NEHALEM;
		break;

// ADDED: Treat all other CPUs as Yonah Family
	default:
		cpufamily = CPUFAMILY_INTEL_YONAH;
		break;
	}
	break;
}

info_p->cpuid_cpufamily = cpufamily;
return cpufamily;
}

Working on dell mini 10 snow leopard.....thankU..Intel Atom z530 :)

Sorry, do you have installed snow leo on dell mini 10 ?

Your hardware is the same present in my Aspire One 751H, it's possible install leo on my netbook ?