GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Hi LocusOfControl,

Thank you for the kext and dsdt file. I got so frustrated with my computer that I reinstall everything from scratch today. I used d00d's DSDT file and your kexts. Now my computer will auto sleep properly. I set my auto sleep timer to about 3 mins for testing. It usually will idle sleep less than 5 minutes. I will play around more in the next few days. I can also confirm that with "Wake with BT devices" on, auto sleep does not work. I also now use a wired keyboard to wake the computer. I use Magic Mouse and the Trust 2400P BT dongle. I found apple wired keyboard to be better for a hackintosh. I need to have the wired keyboard to be able to get into BIOS or Chemeleon menu. I also like the USB ports in the keyboard. I am a happy camper now. Everything is working well.

Hi LocusOfControl,

Thank you for the kext and dsdt file. I got so frustrated with my computer that I reinstall everything from scratch today. I used d00d's DSDT file and your kexts. Now my computer will auto sleep properly. I set my auto sleep timer to about 3 mins for testing. It usually will idle sleep less than 5 minutes. I will play around more in the next few days. I can also confirm that with "Wake with BT devices" on, auto sleep does not work. I also now use a wired keyboard to wake the computer. I use Magic Mouse and the Trust 2400P BT dongle. I found apple wired keyboard to be better for a hackintosh. I need to have the wired keyboard to be able to get into BIOS or Chemeleon menu. I also like the USB ports in the keyboard. I am a happy camper now. Everything is working well.

Ah good to know that things are consistent in that with idle sleep there is an issue with wake from BT and it's not just me!

I don't understand why software (apple) sleep works with the same option though?

Don't you have the v2.1 BT adapter though, so this means that even v2.1 with it's supposed energy saving features

doesn't support idle sleep?

do you think my XFX 4890 will work with the modded dsdt file?

My DSDT is for an EX58-UD5 running bios f9k, is yours?

I doubt it though as I don't think there is anything graphics related in there. If you have a 4890 I would

search the instructions on netkas pages for 4890's as they are not the same as 4870's. That is one reason

I chose a 4870 over anything else, native apple support, I didn't need to do anything other than set the graphics

flag in boot.plist

Dood, ThankX alot for your excellent guide !

Already running the following system (full 64bit 10.6.2)

Ga-Ex58ud5 (bios F9e)

Intel i7 950 @ 4.25 – 4.36 Ghz,

Nvidia GTX9800+ qe/ci,

All power management features and intel turbo boost are enable

Software Raid (2 disks, strip mode)

Chameleon V2 RC4

Sleep, restart, shutdown are ultra fast.

Dsdt has only processor, audio and power button patch.

/extra folder on boot partition of raid slices has :

ALC889a, fakesmc, openhaltrestart_1.0.3, PlatformUUID.

/S/L/E is totally native except macpro4.1 patch

Bonjour is fully working .

Temperatures are : idle (36-38) C (before patches was 42-48 C)

Mprime 82-88 C (running for 40 mins)

Ambient temp ~ 20 C

Coolermaster V10

Dood, ThankX alot for your excellent guide !

Already running the following system (full 64bit 10.6.2)

Ga-Ex58ud5 (bios F9e)

Intel i7 950 @ 4.25 �" 4.36 Ghz,

Nvidia GTX9800+ qe/ci,

All power management features and intel turbo boost are enable

Software Raid (2 disks, strip mode)

Chameleon V2 RC4

Sleep, restart, shutdown are ultra fast.

Dsdt has only processor, audio and power button patch.

/extra folder on boot partition of raid slices has :

ALC889a, fakesmc, openhaltrestart_1.0.3, PlatformUUID.

/S/L/E is totally native except macpro4.1 patch

Bonjour is fully working .

Temperatures are : idle (36-38) C (before patches was 42-48 C)

Mprime 82-88 C (running for 40 mins)

Ambient temp ~ 20 C

Coolermaster V10

You're welcome, and those are good temperatures.

I'm not using the speed step MacPro4_1.plist, and my CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) and 19 C ambient with a Noctua NH-D14 are;

Idle: 42-46 C

Load (mprime test 1): 84-90 C

PlatformUUID.kext is ineffective with C2RC4, you will see the DF557FA2-C304-556B-A442-960AB835CB5D default value in System Profiler:Hardware:Hardware Overview:Hardware UUID.

A patch to the boot file was made by rekursor (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=201902&st=25#, post 26) to be able to change this with the following in com.apple.Boot.plist (change string value to what you had in PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist);

<key>SystemID</key>

<string>00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000</string>

I assume your i7 950 at 4.255 GHz is with 185 BCLK and the default 23 multiplier, and 4.44 Ghz with the turbo's 24.

That's pretty good, I can't go over 4.3 GHz without an eventual KP.

Did you dump your 3.06 GHz i7 950's SSDT and modify the CPU section of your DSDT with those values, or did you use my 2.66 GHz i7 920 values which are based on the default 20 multiplier and 21 on turbo?

If the former, please post your DSDT so that other people with the i7 940 and 950 can use those values.

If you boot 32 bit and run 32 bit only MSR Tools, do you see the multiplier occasionally go to 25, like mine goes to 22 on turbo?

I don't understand why software (apple) sleep works with the same option though?

It's in the apple developer documentation, forced sleep is not preventable by any API,

but idle sleep is preventable in case you want to run long running applications etc

makes sense

It was a change in Leopard

steve

LocusOfControl,

I am just happy now my idle sleep is working properly even though the timing is not accurate to the setting in Energy Saver. I did a test last night by using Handbrake to rip a movie from DVD. I set up my computer to go to sleep after 15 minutes. I was happy to find that my computer was asleep this morning and the movie did finish. It means now that I can have activities running and not worrying about the Autosleep script from kicking in. Thanks for your help.

I am going to spend some more time playing around with the BT issue. Another issue I have is the reception of the BT dongle is not very good when the computer is hidden under my desk. I am trying to see if I can add external "antenna" to the dongle to improve the reception.

d00d,

Thanks for your help with DSDT mod. I am now only using 4 kexts files. I overclocked my hackintosh to 3.8GHz running at around 40~44 C. No problem at all. I just did a Geekbench (64-bit) yesterday and got over 12000. I only have 3Gb of DDR3 memory. I expect that number to go up when I upgrade to 12Gb.

I just did a Geekbench (64-bit) yesterday and got over 12000. I only have 3Gb of DDR3 memory. I expect that number to go up when I upgrade to 12Gb.

I think if you go for 12gb it may go down, it is harder to run 12GB and I have to lower the multiplier.

I've read but not tried, that 6gb is optimum

If someone knows how to get 12Gb running fast I'm all ears

I think if you go for 12gb it may go down, it is harder to run 12GB and I have to lower the multiplier.

I've read but not tried, that 6gb is optimum

If someone knows how to get 12Gb running fast I'm all ears

My 4.3 GHz settings with 12 GB are in post 1.

I can only use the 6 multiplier at that speed, as the 1333 MHz rated memory that I have starts to get flaky over 1480 MHz, but one can get better geekbench memory scores with higher rated memory at 8.

BIOS (UD5).

F9e: S3 sleep functional with C2RC3, PCEFI10.5 and DSDT fixes

F9h: S3 sleep functional with C2RC3 and PCEFI10.5, or C2RC4, and DSDT fixes

F9i: S3 doesn't fully wake with C2RC3, PCEFI10.5 and DSDT fixes if boot drive is SSD

F9j: S3 doesn't fully wake with C2RC3, PCEFI10.5 and DSDT fixes if boot drive is SSD

F9m: S3 sleep functional with C2RC4 and DSDT fixes

I assume your i7 950 at 4.255 GHz is with 185 BCLK and the default 23 multiplier, and 4.44 Ghz with the turbo's 24.

That's pretty good, I can't go over 4.3 GHz without an eventual KP.

Did you dump your 3.06 GHz i7 950's SSDT and modify the CPU section of your DSDT with those values, or did you use my 2.66 GHz i7 920 values which are based on the default 20 multiplier and 21 on turbo?

If the former, please post your DSDT so that other people with the i7 940 and 950 can use those values.

If you boot 32 bit and run 32 bit only MSR Tools, do you see the multiplier occasionally go to 25, like mine goes to 22 on turbo?

4.25 Ghz with 185BCLK, 4.36 with 190 BCLK, standard 23 multiplier.

I'm using your DSDT values for i7 920.

I'd like, these days, to modify DSDT with correct values from 950's SSDT.

Last time i used MSR tools, i ***cked up my raid configuration, but i'm ready to do this again :)

I'll report back in a few days

Steve,

Can you please post your dsdt.aml and not the dsl. I cant compile the dsl version. I get 10 errors and no output of an aml file.

Thanks

Strange, I used DSDT SE v1.36, compiles OK for me, see screen shot

PS as a quick check on my system I tried d00d's. It could be me but I found that idle sleep didn't work

as regularly as mine, it did sleep occasionally but not when scheduled so I went back to mine

currently using f9m bios

post-383752-1261140271_thumb.png

Archive.zip

Strange, I used DSDT SE v1.36, compiles OK for me, see screen shot

PS as a quick check on my system I tried d00d's. It could be me but I found that idle sleep didn't work

as regularly as mine, it did sleep occasionally but not when scheduled so I went back to mine

currently using f9m bios

I did a diff of the DSDT you attached against mine, and there were some differences in the commented lines at top, but otherwise there's no difference.

I'm not sure why I can't idle sleep without the script, but I'm assuming it's related to one of my non MB pieces of hardware.

Using UD5 BIOS F9m and it's new Dynamic Vcore (DVID) option, along with demong1's speed step MacPro4_1.plist for 10.6.2, I get lower idle temperatures (and lower power usage).

Idle CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) and 19 C ambient; 42-46 C

Idle CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) with modified MacPro4_1.plist, and 19 C ambient; 42-46 C

Idle CPU temperatures at 4.3 GHz (turbo disabled) with modified MacPro4_1.plist, DVID, and 19 C ambient; 35-39 C

Update 1: Using DVID and the modified MacPro4_1.plist prevents waking from S3, and if not using DVID and using just the modified MacPro4_1.plist, on wake from sleep I get a `type 13=general protection' KP.

Update 2: KP was from using a DSDT derived from BIOS F9e.

Just using the modified MacPro4_1.plist with a DSDT derived from BIOS F9m works fine, but idle temperatures are the same as without using the modified MacPro4_1.plist.

Update 3: Using DVID and the modified MacPro4_1.plist prevents waking from S3 if using a device-properties video string in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Using DVID and the modified MacPro4_1.plist with GraphicsEnabler=yes (and PciRoot=1 for C2RC4, which has a default of 0) in com.apple.Boot.plist doesn't prevent waking from S3.

d00d,

Got the general protection KP on wake from sleep. I did not use DVID and modified MacPro4.1. My bios version is F9e. Do you why? Thanks.KP

Booting in 32 bit sometimes I got a KP after wake when starting some non Apple applications.

Now I'm booting in 64 bit and don't have that problem anymore.

Using F9m and BCLK 190 with unlocked 24X , bios shows 4.56 Ghz (i7 950)

but about this mac shows 4.30 Ghz and system Profiler 4.37 Ghz :star_smile::angel:

System wakes up from sleep without any KP -64bit- (until now)...

I'm using DVID (+0.16875)

Temperatures are much BETTER now. (27 - 33 C) !!!! before was: (36-38 C)

Ambient Temp ~ 20 C

Dood, i'm still using your processor values on my DSDT

Using F9m and BCLK 190 with unlocked 24X , bios shows 4.56 Ghz (i7 950)

but about this mac shows 4.30 Ghz and system Profiler 4.37 Ghz ;):thumbsup_anim:

System wakes up from sleep without any KP -64bit- (until now)...

I'm using DVID (+0.16875)

Temperatures are much BETTER now. (27 - 33 C) !!!! before was: (36-38 C)

Ambient Temp ~ 20 C

Dood, i'm still using your processor values on my DSDT

About This Mac seems to not be able to go over 4.30 GHz for me too, but it can be manually set in /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings.

I wouldn't suggest using my 920 CPU values for your 950.

Can you reboot at 3.06 GHz without a DSDT, C1E and C3/C6/C7 States enabled, and dump your SSDT tables?

Here is my ssdt.aml (extracted by DSDTSE.app) all bios settings normal, c1e, c3,c6,c7 disabled

I have some Ebios read errors without dsdt (4 errors, controller or device error, block 0x0 sectors 0x0), caused

by chameleon V2 rc4 incompatibility with my raid config, i think .

Edit: ebios errors caused by an hdd that failed (with win7 64bit ;):D )

without dsdt i couldn't boot using cham v2 rc4 and c3/c6.. etc enabled.

dsdt_i7_950_normal_c1e_c3_c6_c7_disabled.dsl.zip

ssdt_i7_950_all_normal.dsl.zip

d00d, dumb question, what does step 13 do?

13. Modify fakesmc.kext/Contents/Info.plist in two places with MacPro4,1 specific information (1.30f3 and smc-napa changed to 1.39f5 and smc-thurley).

It tells Mac OS X that the SMC chip (emulated by fakeSMC) is the version of a MacPro4,1 so that it behaves accordingly to the i7 and X58 hardware.

Here is my ssdt.aml (extracted by DSDTSE.app) all bios settings normal, c1e, c3,c6,c7 disabled

I have some Ebios read errors without dsdt (4 errors, controller or device error, block 0x0 sectors 0x0), caused

by chameleon V2 rc4 incompatibility with my raid config, i think .

Edit: ebios errors caused by an hdd that failed (with win7 64bit :(:) )

without dsdt i couldn't boot using cham v2 rc4 and c3/c6.. etc enabled.

I created a DSDT for your i7 950, it has the correct 13 PStates instead of the 920's 10 (attached to post 1).

It tells Mac OS X that the SMC chip (emulated by fakeSMC) is the version of a MacPro4,1 so that it behaves accordingly to the i7 and X58 hardware.
Functionally it may not do anything, it's for the correct information to appear in ioreg and About This Mac, although netkas did update to the 1.30f3 value after seeing that Software Update wanted to update SMC when set to a lower value.