GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Yes, no need for that patch, Gigabyte has finally fixed even one problem with their boards.

Hmm

I tried removing PICM & PICF plus the EHCI/_INI changes yesterday

I still got the same values for lspci -nnvv -s 0:1d.7 | grep PMEClk

However I had problems with sleep, ie not waking, or screen going black and not sleeping

and not being able to get the screen back

I'm currently trying with just PIC removed leaving EHCI as before to see what happens

I've tried setting sleep manually a couple of times without problems, I'll see how it handles auto sleep

Hmm

I tried removing PICM & PICF plus the EHCI/_INI changes yesterday

I still got the same values for lspci -nnvv -s 0:1d.7 | grep PMEClk

However I had problems with sleep, ie not waking, or screen going black and not sleeping

and not being able to get the screen back

I'm currently trying with just PIC removed leaving EHCI as before to see what happens

I've tried setting sleep manually a couple of times without problems, I'll see how it handles auto sleep

Running with just over several auto sleep cycles without issue - seems safe to keep it out

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               Return (APIC)
           }

Hey guys,

It seems like DSDT editing is going to be the way to go for the near future, but honestly I feel like I have no idea what's going on with the whole DSDT thing. Is there a BEGINNER's tutorial or info somewhere that assumes that the reader isn't well versed in this kind of thing? I really want to know what I'm doing instead of just copying and pasting.

Ryan!

Hey guys,

It seems like DSDT editing is going to be the way to go for the near future, but honestly I feel like I have no idea what's going on with the whole DSDT thing. Is there a BEGINNER's tutorial or info somewhere that assumes that the reader isn't well versed in this kind of thing? I really want to know what I'm doing instead of just copying and pasting.

Ryan!

What specifically is unclear?

I've briefly explained what each modification in post 1 does, with references to other topics where relevant.

Running with just over several auto sleep cycles without issue - seems safe to keep it out

Method (_PRT, 0, NotSerialized)
           {
               Return (APIC)
           }

Slight error before, there are two instances of the above, I missed one the first time

Done both now, still sleeping

BUT, my DVD drives now sleeps and wakes through both types of sleep

Before it never woke after sleeping

What specifically is unclear?

I've briefly explained what each modification in post 1 does, with references to other topics where relevant.

You've done a great job being as clear as you could be, and your explanations are fitting for this forum... However, I would like to know stuff like what 0x04 means in the Device (RTC) section means and why changing it to 0x02 makes the CMOS not reset... and what the Device (RTC) section is in the first place.

I'm the kind of guy that really needs to know how everything works so I'd love to know the ins and outs of DSDTs so I can better troubleshoot and contribute to this forum instead of just asking a bunch of questions.

Where did you guys learn this stuff? School or is there some resource that I could use as well?

Ryan!

You've done a great job being as clear as you could be, and your explanations are fitting for this forum... However, I would like to know stuff like what 0x04 means in the Device (RTC) section means and why changing it to 0x02 makes the CMOS not reset... and what the Device (RTC) section is in the first place.

I'm the kind of guy that really needs to know how everything works so I'd love to know the ins and outs of DSDTs so I can better troubleshoot and contribute to this forum instead of just asking a bunch of questions.

Where did you guys learn this stuff? School or is there some resource that I could use as well?

Ryan!

RTC stands for Real Time Clock.

There's a good explanation of why the IO segment's length needs to be reduced at http://netkas.org/?p=114.

The ACPI (Advanced Configuration & Power Interface) specifications are at http://www.acpi.info/.

I'd suggest looking at ACPIspec40.pdf, although Gigabyte seems to be 1.0 in DSDT;

* Revision 0x01 **** ACPI 1.0, no 64-bit math support

There's also some good information at http://www.acpica.org/documentation/.

LocusOfControl,

I assume that you have the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5. One little question: why your DSDT looks almost like the DSDT from here? Aren't those DSDTs are made for GA-EP35-DS3L owners?

I don't mean that it's a bad thing to copy & paste some parts from the above mentioned DSDTs, but you have done it quite radically and I can see differences in the "core" stuff (e.g. _PRT objects) on the first sight.

Oh, and if you're already set to go with your current DSDT I think you can remove _INI method and the PWRC OperationRegion from both EHC1 and EHC2 devices. I think this was done because Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 didn't announce any PM capabilities for EHCI controllers (see this). Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 does this right:

I had another go at removing the PWRC method and associated _INI method and I confirm that sleep & wake are

still working including for my Pioneer DVD.

It appears correct that the EX58-UD5 doesn't require these fixes. I must have messed up last time I tried this

I had another go at removing the PWRC method and associated _INI method and I confirm that sleep & wake are

still working including for my Pioneer DVD.

It appears correct that the EX58-UD5 doesn't require these fixes. I must have messed up last time I tried this

PICM can go as well

d00d, I admire your work and your expertise on this subject. It is something that I have to explore a whole lot more. That's exactly why I'm going to ask a couple of rather 'dumb' questions now. I will understand if you don't want to waste your time (sometimes I feel the same, but that's on subjects other than OSX86) but I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

I have followed DD's guide on how to get my GA-EX58-UD5 with i7 920 working (+ GeForce GTS 250 1GB with EFI string) but it's not quite working for me yet. When my system wakes from sleep, I get a KP randomly, especially when doing things like plugging in USB devices.

I reported these problems in the topic there and LocusOfControl pointed out your topic on how to get native powermanagement working. So, I got here and one thing is just really obvious to me: I'm way too n00bish to understand your guide fully. There's just a lot of terms/handlings/functions I don't really understand. As this is a pro-topic I understand that you just didn't want to write a more easy guide. But, I'm really eager to make my setup work!

So what would you recommend as the easiest way to get my setup working? I guess it's by, following DD's guide to get SL up and running. Then use your guide to enable the native powermanagement. And, could I use your existing DSDT files and how do I 'install' these? I've seen that the mod is quite hardware specific, can you tell which parts? Because maybe I could take your modified DSDT (since I have an UD5 and i7 920 as well) and then edit in the CPU clock speed.

d00d, I admire your work and your expertise on this subject. It is something that I have to explore a whole lot more. That's exactly why I'm going to ask a couple of rather 'dumb' questions now. I will understand if you don't want to waste your time (sometimes I feel the same, but that's on subjects other than OSX86) but I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

I have followed DD's guide on how to get my GA-EX58-UD5 with i7 920 working (+ GeForce GTS 250 1GB with EFI string) but it's not quite working for me yet. When my system wakes from sleep, I get a KP randomly, especially when doing things like plugging in USB devices.

I reported these problems in the topic there and LocusOfControl pointed out your topic on how to get native powermanagement working. So, I got here and one thing is just really obvious to me: I'm way too n00bish to understand your guide fully. There's just a lot of terms/handlings/functions I don't really understand. As this is a pro-topic I understand that you just didn't want to write a more easy guide. But, I'm really eager to make my setup work!

So what would you recommend as the easiest way to get my setup working? I guess it's by, following DD's guide to get SL up and running. Then use your guide to enable the native powermanagement. And, could I use your existing DSDT files and how do I 'install' these? I've seen that the mod is quite hardware specific, can you tell which parts? Because maybe I could take your modified DSDT (since I have an UD5 and i7 920 as well) and then edit in the CPU clock speed.

Thanks, you could just place my 920 DSDT.aml in Extra, and use ALC889a.kext, OrangeIconFix.kext and fakesmc.kext to create Extensions.mkext, and place it there as well.

That DSDT.aml is based on the GA-EX58-UD5 F9m BIOS, so you should also be using F9m.

For video I use C2RC4 and the following in com.apple.Boot.plist;

<key>PciRoot</key>
       <string>1</string>
       <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
       <string>yes</string>

Here's how I create an Extensions.mkext file from the kexts in the ~/Documents/Extra/kext folder, and copy it and the other files to my RAID 0 OS drives;

[mac05:~] me% sudo -s
Password:
[mac05:~] root# cd Documents/Extra
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# chown -R root:wheel .
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m Extensions.mkext kext
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# diskutil list
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# diskutil mount disk0s3
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# cp BootHelp.txt DSDT.aml smbios.plist com.apple.Boot.plist Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# diskutil unmount disk0s3
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# diskutil mount disk1s3
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# cp BootHelp.txt DSDT.aml smbios.plist com.apple.Boot.plist Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# diskutil unmount disk1s3
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root#

Thanks, you could just place my 920 DSDT.aml in Extra, and use ALC889a.kext, OrangeIconFix.kext and fakesmc.kext to create Extensions.mkext, and place it there as well.

That DSDT.aml is based on the GA-EX58-UD5 F9m BIOS, so you should also be using F9m.

For video I use C2RC4 and the following in com.apple.Boot.plist;

<key>PciRoot</key>
       <string>1</string>
       <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
       <string>yes</string>

Here's how I create an Extensions.mkext file from the kexts in the ~/Documents/Extra/kext folder, and copy it and the other files to my RAID 0 OS drives;

Password:
[mac05:~] root# cd Documents/Extra
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# chown -R root:wheel .
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m Extensions.mkext kext
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# diskutil list
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# diskutil mount disk0s3
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# cp BootHelp.txt DSDT.aml
smbios.plist com.apple.Boot.plist Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# diskutil unmount disk0s3
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# diskutil mount disk1s3
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# cp BootHelp.txt DSDT.aml
smbios.plist com.apple.Boot.plist Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root# diskutil unmount disk1s3
[mac05:~/Documents/Extra] root#

Thank you very much for the additional help! If I manage to get this working, would you be interested in 'a little guide for n00bs'? I'm willing to write it for you to put in the start post. Maybe that will keep n00bs like me from asking stupid questions. Or it might even work against you and actually attract n00bs, haha! But it's your call :P

Thank you very much for the additional help! If I manage to get this working, would you be interested in 'a little guide for n00bs'? I'm willing to write it for you to put in the start post. Maybe that will keep n00bs like me from asking stupid questions. Or it might even work against you and actually attract n00bs, haha! But it's your call :)
If you could write something up from your viewpoint, I could include the information in post 1.

The basic steps are assumed to already be known, but they could be helpful to list.

I left out the part about installing C2RC3 (needs PlatformUUID.kext) and optionally PCEFI 10.5 on top of that, or just C2RC4, I'm assuming DD's script has already done this for you.

If you could write something up from your viewpoint, I could include the information in post 1.

The basic steps are assumed to already be known, but they could be helpful to list.

I left out the part about installing C2RC3 (needs PlatformUUID.kext) and optionally PCEFI 10.5 on top of that, or just C2RC4, I'm assuming DD's script has already done this for you.

d00d, I'd be really appreciated it if you could include a copy of your dsdt that includes the 17 (dont need to check the star up automatically after power failure). I am just too lazy to do it myself. Thanks.

Things are starting to clear up. I still have some questions though. For the convenience, I have numbered the questions.

You pointed out to use these kexts and combine them into extensions.mkext:

• fakesmc.kext
  • ALC889a.kext
  • OrangeIconFix.kext

But CruiSAr did his setup differently, he uses these kexts:

• fakesmc
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
  • EvoReboot Not needed because you already included mm67's way to fix shutdown and Duvel300's way to fix reboot, is that right? (1)
  • PlatformUUID
  • Realtek1000 in S/L/E

I just want to know what's the difference and which one should I use? (2)

Also I'm not sure of what will happen with my overclock. Of course, when installing from scratch I'm going to remove my OC just to be sure, but will the overclocking work by just changing my BCLK? (3)

In your guide (step 6 & 7) you state some changes to boot plist (add DropSSDT key) and smbios.plist (Add MacPro4,1 modelname). I suppose I still have to do this? (4)

DD's script has the option to patch the DSDT, which includes the CMOS reset fix. When I install using DD's script, do I execute the step (patching DSDT) or is that useless since it will be overridden by me when I replace it with your one? (5)

If I've cleared out these questions, I will make a basic numbered list of the steps that I will carry out before I do anything. I will need some help to check this list before I actually do it, in order to make sure that what I'll do is the right thing. Then I will execute that list and write a short guide about that for you to include in the start post. Thanks for your help! It is very much appreciated :angel:

Things are starting to clear up. I still have some questions though. For the convenience, I have numbered the questions.

You pointed out to use these kexts and combine them into extensions.mkext:

• fakesmc.kext
  • ALC889a.kext
  • OrangeIconFix.kext

But CruiSAr did his setup differently, he uses these kexts:

• fakesmc
  • IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector
  • EvoReboot Not needed because you already included mm67's way to fix shutdown and Duvel300's way to fix reboot, is that right? (1)
  • PlatformUUID
  • Realtek1000 in S/L/E

I just want to know what's the difference and which one should I use? (2)

Also I'm not sure of what will happen with my overclock. Of course, when installing from scratch I'm going to remove my OC just to be sure, but will the overclocking work by just changing my BCLK? (3)

In your guide (step 6 & 7) you state some changes to boot plist (add DropSSDT key) and smbios.plist (Add MacPro4,1 modelname). I suppose I still have to do this? (4)

DD's script has the option to patch the DSDT, which includes the CMOS reset fix. When I install using DD's script, do I execute the step (patching DSDT) or is that useless since it will be overridden by me when I replace it with your one? (5)

If I've cleared out these questions, I will make a basic numbered list of the steps that I will carry out before I do anything. I will need some help to check this list before I actually do it, in order to make sure that what I'll do is the right thing. Then I will execute that list and write a short guide about that for you to include in the start post. Thanks for your help! It is very much appreciated ;)

1. 16 is to fix shutdown, to fix restart a kext or modified boot file is needed, see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2518&st=870 (start with post 871).

2. Does IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext do the same thing as OrangeIconFix.kext?

PlatformUUID.kext is needed for C2RC3, but not for C2RC4, see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=201902.

I've added RealtekR1000SL.kext to my /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ folder.

3. I could boot at 3.7 GHz without changing anything but BCLK, but any higher I would have to change voltages, see the BIOS templates in post 1.

4. yes

5. I'm unfamiliar with how DD's script works, but I'm assuming you would just replace the DSDT.aml with my modified DSDT.aml.

I manually copy the files to Extra in the Terminal, see post 211.

You reply very fast d00d! Anyway, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is a kext for ATA (I attached it)

Isn't the ALC889a.kext 32-bit by the way?

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext apparently does the same thing as OrangeIconFix.kext from what I read.

ALC889a.kext is neither 32 or 64 bit, there's just an Info.plist in ALC889a.kext/Contents/.

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext apparently does the same thing as OrangeIconFix.kext from what I read.

ALC889a.kext is neither 32 or 64 bit, there's just an Info.plist in ALC889a.kext/Contents/.

Ok, good, then we don't need the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

In an earlier post you talked about copying BootHelp.txt to the Extra folder. What file is that?

I have a running SL install with Chameleon 2 RC3. This partition was set active I think. I'm using a different physical drive to install. Is this going to give me trouble? How can I make partitions inactive again?

Ok, here's the plan:

Hardware

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
  • CPU: Intel core i7 920
  • Graphics: any kind that is supported by Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler (in my case GTS 250 1GB)

Preparation

1. Get/Use two physical drives, it's just way easier that way, but it's not mandatory.
    --- Installing from USB-stick is also possible, but I haven't tried it yet with DD's script.
  2. A working Snow Leopard should be up and running, this will be used to install the new one.
  3. Make sure the target drive is formatted properly (HFS Journaled + GUID)
  4. Make sure you have BIOS 9Fm
  5. Put the BIOS Settings as d00d's (see attached GA_EX58_UD5_BIOS_DVID_4.3.txt)
  6. Make an ISO from the Retail Mac OS X DVD, it's way faster than installing from the DVD itself.

Installation

1. Use DD's guide to install the bootloader and Snow Leopard:
  2. --- Download & Execute DD's script.
  3. --- Install type: Extra folder (not EFI)
  4. --- Bootloader: Chameleon 2 RC4
  5. --- Mount Retail OS X 10.6 and install it with option #4.
  6. Create the right mkext with these seperate kexts: ALC889a.kext, OrangeIconFix.kext and fakesmc.kext
  7. --- Make a folder on your Desktop called TEMP
  8. --- Put the above kexts into TEMP/kext
  9. --- Run these commands in the Terminal:
    [mac05:~] root# cd Desktop/TEMP
    [mac05:~/Desktop/TEMP] root# chown -R root:wheel .
    [mac05:~/Desktop/TEMP] root# kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m Extensions.mkext kext

10. This will create a .mkext file, copy it to the Extra folder on the fresh install drive.
  11. Copy the patched DSDT.aml to the Extra folder too.
  12. In the Extra folder, open com.apple.boot.plist
  13. --- Add these lines (before the </dict>)
    <key>DropSSDT</key>
    <string>yes</string>
    <key>PciRoot</key>
    <string>1</string>

14. Open smbios.plist
  15. --- Add these 2 lines(before </dict>) If DD's script was used to install C2RC4 then this is already set.
    <key>SMproductname</key>
    <string>MacPro4,1</string>

16. Add RealtekR1000SL.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ folder.
  17. --- Make sure that you set the right permissions, the right owner and remove the External attribute keys:
    cd Volumes/*DRIVE*/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
    sudo -s
    chmod -R 755 RealtekR1000SL.kext
    chown -R root:wheel RealtekR1000SL.kext
    xattr -d -r com.apple.FinderInfo RealtekR1000SL.kext
    xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine RealtekR1000SL.kext

18. Make sure that permissions and owners are all properly set in /Extra too.
  19. Do step 16 + 17 from d00d's start post.
  20. Replace MacPro4_1.plist

Reboot

1. Reboot, select the freshly installed Snow Leopard disk

Additional

1. Fix restart with Duvel300's method.
  2. For sleep to work properly, read this and this.

Ok, good, then we don't need the IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.

In an earlier post you talked about copying BootHelp.txt to the Extra folder. What file is that?

I have a running SL install with Chameleon 2 RC3. This partition was set active I think. I'm using a different physical drive to install. Is this going to give me trouble? How can I make partitions inactive again?

Ok, here's the plan:

Hardware

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
  • CPU: Intel core i7 920
  • Graphics: any kind that is supported by Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler (in my case GTS 250 1GB)

Preparation

1. Get/Use two physical drives, it's just way easier that way, but it's not mandatory.
    --- Installing from USB-stick is also possible, but I haven't tried it yet with DD's script.
  2. A working Snow Leopard should be up and running, this will be used to install the new one.
  3. Make sure the target drive is formatted properly (HFS Journaled + GUID)
  4. Make sure you have BIOS 9Fm
  5. Put the BIOS Settings as d00d's (see attached GA_EX58_UD5_BIOS_DVID_4.3.txt)
  6. Make an ISO from the Retail Mac OS X DVD, it's way faster than installing from the DVD itself.

Installation

1. Use DD's guide to install the bootloader and Snow Leopard:
  2. --- Download & Execute DD's script.
  3. --- Install type: Extra folder (not EFI)
  4. --- Bootloader: Chameleon 2 RC4
  5. --- Mount Retail OS X 10.6 and install it with option #4.
  6. Create the right mkext with these seperate kexts: ALC889a.kext, OrangeIconFix.kext and fakesmc.kext
  7. --- Make a folder on your Desktop called TEMP
  8. --- Put the above kexts into TEMP/kext
  9. --- Run these commands in the Terminal:
     [mac05:~] root# cd Desktop/TEMP
     [mac05:~/Desktop/TEMP] root# chown -R root:wheel .
     [mac05:~/Desktop/TEMP] root# kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m Extensions.mkext kext

10. This will create a .mkext file, copy it to the Extra folder on the fresh install drive.
  11. Copy the patched DSDT.aml to the Extra folder too.
  12. In the Extra folder, open com.apple.boot.plist
  13. --- Add these 2 lines (before the </dict>):
    <key>DropSSDT</key>
     <string>yes</string>

14. Open smbios.plist
  15. --- Add these 2 lines, if not already there (before </dict>):
    <key>SMproductname</key>
     <string>MacPro4,1</string>

16. Add RealtekR1000SL.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ folder.

Reboot

1. Reboot, select the freshly installed Snow Leopard at the bootloader
  2. Type (bootloader prompt): -s to enter Single-user mode
  3. After some scrolling text, a root prompt will be availible.
  4. Type: buildcache and then hit Enter.
  5. When this is finished, type reboot and hit Enter.

Additional

1. Fix restart with Duvel300's method.
  2. For sleep to work properly, read this and this.

The BootHelp.txt file is to show you the options when you type `?' at the bootloader prompt.

I too installed SL on my RAID 0 drives initially attached to an Apple hardware machine that was already running SL, manually installed the C2RC3 files, and later updated to C2RC4 locally.

I'll show how to do this from the Terminal later.

I'm assuming DD's buildcache is the same as running kextcache to create Extensions.mkext, so that step has already been done from the Apple hardware machine.

The com.apple.Boot.plist file would need to be updated with PciRoot=1 and GraphicsEnabler=yes for video, or a device-properties video string.

The BootHelp.txt file is to show you the options when you type `?' at the bootloader prompt.

I too installed SL on my RAID 0 drives initially attached to an Apple hardware machine that was already running SL, manually installed the C2RC3 files, and later updated to C2RC4 locally.

I'll show how to do this from the Terminal later.

I'm assuming DD's buildcache is the same as running kextcache to create Extensions.mkext, so that step has already been done from the Apple hardware machine.

The com.apple.Boot.plist file would need to be updated with PciRoot=1 and GraphicsEnabler=yes for video, or a device-properties video string.

Ah, you're right about the boot plist additions! Forgot about those! I'll edit my post.

Oh, and about the building boot caches from DD's script, I think you're right. His script has an option to "update boot caches" which is automatically done when you install the kexts. But in the steps I described above, I didn't use the kext installer in his script, nor did I use the update boot caches. I just thought that it wouldn't be needed, what do you think?

Also, I wasn't sure about booting in single-user mode and doing the buildcache. Is that necessary? I've read in DD's topic that if you don't do that, you'll get a KP as soon as MDWORKER starts.

Ah, you're right about the boot plist additions! Forgot about those! I'll edit my post.

Oh, and about the building boot caches from DD's script, I think you're right. His script has an option to "update boot caches" which is automatically done when you install the kexts. But in the steps I described above, I didn't use the kext installer in his script, nor did I use the update boot caches. I just thought that it wouldn't be needed, what do you think?

Also, I wasn't sure about booting in single-user mode and doing the buildcache. Is that necessary? I've read in DD's topic that if you don't do that, you'll get a KP as soon as MDWORKER starts.

Right, kextcache is only used if you have changed your Extra kexts.

If you change your kexts in S/L/E the OS will update it's Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/.

I've never seen an mdworker KP in two installs, but it can generate high CPU load, perhaps the overclock voltages need tuning.