GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications

d00d

1,771 posts in this topic

Not prepared to hold hands, (not an expert) but I don't think that you need to use the sleepenabler.kext with your board. My setup is similar, and using d00d's dsdt, you should be able to have native power management, with functioning sleep. I've found that sleepenabler can cause issues. Try removing it, rebuild the cache, and try manually putting your system to sleep, if it goes to sleep, then you're good to go, you may just need to install a script for timed sleep to work. Also, there are all kinds of dsdt options on the first page of this post, concerning functioning audio. For our board, there's even an option of dsdt only modification without kexts for audio. d00d has done a lot of work on this subject, it's all on the first post.

d00d- Thanks again!

Thanks but it's all sorted now. Try reading the thread.

Cheers

I've got a Gigabyte EX58 UD5 with an i7 950, F12 bios, at 10.6.6, and am using d00d's DSDT. I just built it a couple of weeks ago and I've managed to get everything working except sleep. I should say that sleep works about 20% of the time.

Auto sleep doesn't work at all.

When I menu sleep, sometimes, it goes to sleep, and wakes up right away. Sometimes it appears to go to sleep but seems to have actually shut down, since it won't wake up using the keyboard or mouse, and a press of the power button gives me my usual boot process from a powered down state. Sometimes I get sleep but no video on waking. Sometimes it works perfectly. Any ideas??

I've got a Gigabyte EX58 UD5 with an i7 950, F12 bios, at 10.6.6, and am using d00d's DSDT. I just built it a couple of weeks ago and I've managed to get everything working except sleep. I should say that sleep works about 20% of the time.

Auto sleep doesn't work at all.

When I menu sleep, sometimes, it goes to sleep, and wakes up right away. Sometimes it appears to go to sleep but seems to have actually shut down, since it won't wake up using the keyboard or mouse, and a press of the power button gives me my usual boot process from a powered down state. Sometimes I get sleep but no video on waking. Sometimes it works perfectly. Any ideas??

What a coincidence? I was having the exact problem and I finally had the time to fix it. I was not scientific about the process but I will tell you everything I did.

1) Even though I was running 10.6.6 I re-installed 10.6.6. using the Combo Update (approx 1gig)

2) Repaired permissions using disk utility

3) Ran Disk Warrior (do not do this if your bootloader is on your mac partition)

4) Ran Onyx and cleaned up as much I could think of (sorry I can't be more specific)

5) Ran Activity Monitor and looked for processes that were questionable or not needed and got rid of them

6) Ran Console and looked for error message and fixed the causes. There were a lot of these.

7) Set my Energy Saver control panel as pictured below

Auto and manual sleep are now working again and I can wake up via keyboard and mouse. Good luck.

post-405332-1297472725_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a recent fakesmc that gives fan speeds and (more) temps?

At the moment I only have CPU A and B, and my hard drives temperatures reported through iStat, fan speed just doesn't show.

Thanks

Nice one.

I guess I'm best off compiling the most recent version from the svn repo.

Once I've checked out the latest version how do I compile it, xcode?

Also, I'm currently using IntelCPUMonitor in E/E, will I need to change this to IntelThermal?

Thanks again

Nice one.

I guess I'm best off compiling the most recent version from the svn repo.

Once I've checked out the latest version how do I compile it, xcode?

Also, I'm currently using IntelCPUMonitor in E/E, will I need to change this to IntelThermal?

Thanks again

Yes, with XCode, but there's a Downloads topic there with compiled ones.

The one from the downloads sections shows as v3.0, I don't know which revision exactly, but this causes my CPU temps not to show.

If I compile the latest build I get a kernel panic.

Any ideas how I can get this working?

At the moment I've reverted to v2.1 which gives me 2 CPU temps and both hard drives.

I'm using IntelCPUMonitor.kext in E/E. If I use IntelThermal I get a kernel panic.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

The one from the downloads sections shows as v3.0, I don't know which revision exactly, but this causes my CPU temps not to show.

If I compile the latest build I get a kernel panic.

Any ideas how I can get this working?

At the moment I've reverted to v2.1 which gives me 2 CPU temps and both hard drives.

I'm using IntelCPUMonitor.kext in E/E. If I use IntelThermal I get a kernel panic.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

I was using Bresink's Temperature Monitor with FakeSMC 2.7.2 (build 411) in SLE with the following plugins;

FakeSMCIntelThermal.kext

FakeSMCnVclockPort.kext

FakeSMCSuperIO.kext

Some plugins are incompatible with each other and do the same thing, like FakeSMCIntelThermal and FakeSMCIntelMonitor.

For some reason it started to KP on FakeSMCIntelThermal (not the unlocked mutex one) on boot, so I went back to netkas's fakesmc 2.5 that doesn't use plugins.

Here's some links;

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=243204

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206 (2.7)

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1592 (3)

I was using Bresink's Temperature Monitor with FakeSMC 2.7.2 (build 411) in SLE with the following plugins;

FakeSMCIntelThermal.kext

FakeSMCnVclockPort.kext

FakeSMCSuperIO.kext

@d00d

Any reason you prefer v2.7 vs v3? v3 runs from /Extra, but is there a benefit of v2.7 I am overlooking? Have you tested both and noticed performance differences?

Also. Thank you endlessly for your contributions. This guide has gotten me so far. I am still waiting to OC my W3680, however I don't understand the best way to do this. Most guides I've read start by dropping the CPU multiplier, which causes KP, possibly CPU definitions in DSDT?

Would this be avoided by booting sans-DSDT after changing CPUx?

Also, this idea had me changing that CPUx to begin.

I set up my systems to imitate Mac Pros as closely as possible, as advised by d00d, enabling HT, Turbo Boost, C-states, AppleIntelPowerManagement kext, GraphicsPowerManagement kext, etc. through my DSDT. At BCLK=160, I got a Geekbench2 score of 34,011. So far I've gone up to BCLK=170, getting a Geekbench2 score of almost 38,000. I use a lower CPU ratio than my dual 5680's (and i7s) were designed for. They have 25 as the default, but I almost always lower them to 20. This gives me a Turbo Boost ratio of 666677. So my system runs slower than spec when it's not doing any heavy lifting; but when I need it to lift a heavy load, such as rendering 3d animations, then it becomes Herculean.

Maybe the easiest thing is to just increment BCLK from 133 to 150 or so depending on temps?

If you can't tell is my first OC.

@d00d

Any reason you prefer v2.7 vs v3? v3 runs from /Extra, but is there a benefit of v2.7 I am overlooking? Have you tested both and noticed performance differences?

Also. Thank you endlessly for your contributions. This guide has gotten me so far. I am still waiting to OC my W3680, however I don't understand the best way to do this. Most guides I've read start by dropping the CPU multiplier, which causes KP, possibly CPU definitions in DSDT?

Would this be avoided by booting sans-DSDT after changing CPUx?

Also, this idea had me changing that CPUx to begin.

I haven't tried 3.

CPU DSDT modifications aren't required anymore using C2RC5.

Maybe the easiest thing is to just increment BCLK from 133 to 150 or so depending on temps?

If you can't tell is my first OC.

That's what I did, I'm running BCLK of 160, putting my 2.7 ghz up to 3.2ghz, it's rock solid and maxies out at 80C on Prime 95 CPU torture. You'll need a better cooler than the stock one though.

That's what I did, I'm running BCLK of 160, putting my 2.7 ghz up to 3.2ghz, it's rock solid and maxies out at 80C on Prime 95 CPU torture. You'll need a better cooler than the stock one though.

While I'm here anybody know why that when I boot in mac os my cpu is at 3.2ghz, and when I boot win 7 64 bit the cpu speed reverts to 2.7ghz, this happens whether i boot windows under chameleon, or the windows bootloader.

Cheers

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - Great thread... and I *think* it might solve my problems with my system, though I'm not totally sure.

The system usually will go to sleep after 5 minutes (per the OS energy saver setting), but in order to wake it I have to push the power button on the case. I would like it so that I could just move the mouse to wake it.

Additionally, on occasion I'll push the power button to wake the computer, and while I hear fans start up, the system seems like it's in a coma (screen does not turn on, nothing responds, no sound from incrementing the volume), so I wind up hard rebooting the system.

Would using this DSDT solve both these problems? It's been a while since I set up the system, but I think I might have used sleepenabler.kext

One more thing is that while I do not know what bios version the motherboard is (purchased in early 2010), I wonder if I should be updating it.

Thanks!

I'll tell you what.

Go update your BIOS to f13J and I'll give you my entire extra folder which should get everything working for you in a stable manner, then you can just look into mouse wake.

how's that sound?

Oh and if there is sleepenabler.kext in S/L/E, delete it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have i7 920 and evga x58. I understand that the first value of p-state means 21 multiplier and frequency 2661 ,and second value means 20,2660,etc. but 21x133= 2660+133=2793. do you know the reason why they are using that value?

is this a specification of i7 920? because my ssdt of new bios with turbo performance option has value of 2793.and it panics when using native powermanagement. the ssdt of older bios without turbo performance option(x22 only x21) that i'm using currently has value of 2661 so i'm wondering that it could be the problem. all the other p-state values are same.

First, d00d, thanks for your well written and maintained Post 1. It has taken me through 4 fun nights of trial and error to a working system I liked: Long story, but went through and ATI 4650, Nvidia 7900GS and 8400GS, and finally a new ATI 5770. So, I'm now running a 980X on a X58A-UD5 with 12GB of RAM and a Gigabyte ATI 5770.

Geekbench stock is running 10990, which compares well with a stock 990X running W7: about 11300.

Essentially, I went the route of installing via [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and a retail 10.6.0 disk, upgrading to 10.6.7 via the combo update, following the tonymac ATI 5770 install instructions using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], then overlaying the C2RC5 bootloader and doing most of the DSDT edits here (also added the DSDT mods from the tonymac site, which they forgot to mention adding the DTGP method which is included in your DSDT instructions in post 1)

After more research - the 5770 seems like a fine card for what I need so I'm sticking with the batmobile card.

Sleep works, automatically, manually, and wakes with mouse, keyboard, or power button. Haven't tried power button for sleep yet, but I can live without that one.

Audio is working (put the right kext in place, whoops). HDDVD/BD drive works well with all three disk types and MakeMKV.

Thanks again to everyone that makes this possible.

• 2 weeks later...

d00d

I am experiencing a Time Clock Reset every time I reboot. The machine is not connected to the internet, so setting D&T to a time server is not an option. When I set the time manually (after it resets to Dec 31 2009, 6:00PM) to the current and even if I lock it to make changes in sysPref, it still resets to this date every time I Reboot.

Could this be related to DSDT? Is this the CMOS reseting? I don't observe my BIOS settings changing after these reboots. If not DSDT, then where to look? This only had begun a month ago or so, and I can't seem to trace my steps to see what is causing this. I've applied DSDT fixes from thread to GA-x58a-UD5, and I thought that it was working stellar up until a few months ago.

Any hints/tips?

Thanks

I also observe that CUDA does not load after reboot either, and sometimes chooses to load at start or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Having some issues getting my sound to fully work on Lion DP3, since i'm using Dood's DSDT, i thought this was the right place to ask it.

I have an GA-EX58-UD5 and on my Snow Leopard I'm currently using the D option (which outputs analog 7.1) together with the updated LegacyHDA.kext from x.di (post 686). It works very well in Snow Leopard.

In Lion, when I try to use the same method, my sound is recognized in system report, but I don't get any sound options in system preferences... When I don't use LegacyHDA.kext in S/L/E (so only using the DSDT for sound), I do get 3 sound options in system preferences (headphones/line out/digital out)...

So I'm guessing it's a problem with the kext, maybe it needs to be recompiled for Lion or something (yeah, my knowledge about kexts doesn't go that far)...

Dood, x.di any ideas? Thanks ;)

• 2 weeks later...