[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

I tried it but I keep getting a compile error...

Besides the fun with learning how to edit a DSDT.dsl file, I was able to get the VoodooSDHC.kext to work. I inserted the memory card to see what would happen. It works with the newest DSDT.aml that's available here.

I wouldn't mind learning how to fix the dsl file though.

• 2 weeks later...
A similar problem was encountered with the first release of Snow Leopard, but was not an issue on Leopard on M1330 and M1530. The issue was resolved by removing IRQ statements. These are in the guide, but since you have a different computer you may have to look somewhere different within the DSDT. I would also question whether or not the USB power fix would work on different machines as it is in the guide.

Immo

Suddenly I remembered that I had not fixed the usb problem with the DSDT but replacing the IOPCIFamily (following a post from Cavalier), I had removed the patched IOPCIFamily when trying to make 10.6.8 works, just recovering it and everything is working again. Perfect setup but C-States, a problem with a QX9300, but anyway great 1920x1200 15" MacBook Pro. I'm moving to a W520 soon, just hope C-States and Sandy Bridge will be easier.

Thanks!

After Updating to 10.7.2 my screen went black after the boot process. I found a patch for the DSDT in this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1759594

Thanks to zoliky at this point!

I modified the working DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20110720.zip DSDT with the change he descriped and everything is working. Here is the Fixed DSDT.

I am Using Chameleon 2.1svn r1618

Hope you enjoy it. (Disclaimer: This is not tested on anything below 10.7.2)

Thanks to DarwinX he pointed me in the Right direction with the Update to Chameleon 2.1svn r1618

DSDT.aml.zip

[Edit]

Fixed an error in the DSDT. Sorry forgot to change the D to a C...

I had this Stick lying around. And I don't find such an cheep WIFI Adapter in Germany... I even have no clue how to build it in my M1530

D to C .. u can just leave () and it auto fills it.

ahh if usb is available, then its good enough.

but heres the way to replace wifi.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...d.htm#wp1180236

with AR5B91

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&am...-All-Categories

http://www.ebay.de/itm/WLAN-AzureWave-AR5B...T-/320772636351

or BCM94321MC

AR5B91 is ok it should only work in 10.7.2 and above.

Thank you

[Edit]

Got one for 1€ + 2,5€ Shipment. Thats pretty neat.

not bad. but "AR5B91 is ok it should only work in 10.7.2 and above" ?? you mean you have 10.7.2 ? yes i used it in 10.7.0 and it works. it didtn work prior to 10.6.3 by no support from apple.

by the way .. if your router is wireless N set it to WPA2 and it shall run N speeds ( i max out to my isp limit on wifi now 2.4MBs)

when u get the card post dsdt and ioreg location of wifi so i can make it look like apple subsystem.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package ()
						{
							"AAPL,slot-name", Buffer () {"AirPort"},
							"device_type", Buffer () {"AirPort"},
							"subsystem-id", Buffer () {0x8F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00},
							"subsystem-vendor-id", Buffer () {0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00}
						}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

After updating my M1530 to 10.7.2, VoodooHDA v0.2.7.3 crashes my system. The AppleHDA intermittently recognizes the Intel HDA. Is there anything that needs to be done through the DSDT or is there another kext that I need to use?

On My M1530, the attached VoodooHDA has worked since Snow Leopard up to 10.7.2 . Audio works fine and it also switches to earphones automatically when it is plugged in.

In the first post of this thread, the last DSDT for M1530 is from July 20. It says that it has been confirmed working on Lion. Since then, I see a lot of discussion in the thread about further optimizing the DSDT. Is there a better and more stable DSDT available for the M1530 (Any CPU, nVidia)?

The July 20 version is quite flaky for me. It boots all fine without any problems, but just when it reaches the login window, the screen goes totally blank and the machine doesn't respond after that.

I can't say if there is any error because even in verbose mode, the screen goes blank only after the boot sequence has finished.

I have MacBookPro5,1 in my smbios.plist and I have GraphicsEnabler set to yes in the boot.plist .

This is very annoying because sometimes everything works just fine, with the login window appearing. But the success ratio is less than 10%. And it seems totally random.

EDIT:

I see that there is a thread about this already: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...270123&st=0

And Luggi has already posted a fixed DSDT here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...780&st=920#. Going to try that now.

EDIT 2:

So far so good. That DSDT (which Luggi posted) seems to be working. Will have to monitor it across more boots.

Shouldn't this DSDT be placed in the first post?

In the first post of this thread, the last DSDT for M1530 is from July 20. It says that it has been confirmed working on Lion. Since then, I see a lot of discussion in the thread about further optimizing the DSDT. Is there a better and more stable DSDT available for the M1530 (Any CPU, nVidia)?

The July 20 version is quite flaky for me. It boots all fine without any problems, but just when it reaches the login window, the screen goes totally blank and the machine doesn't respond after that.

I can't say if there is any error because even in verbose mode, the screen goes blank only after the boot sequence has finished.

I have MacBookPro5,1 in my smbios.plist and I have GraphicsEnabler set to yes in the boot.plist .

This is very annoying because sometimes everything works just fine, with the login window appearing. But the success ratio is less than 10%. And it seems totally random.

EDIT:

I see that there is a thread about this already: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...270123&st=0

And Luggi has already posted a fixed DSDT here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...780&st=920#. Going to try that now.

EDIT 2:

So far so good. That DSDT (which Luggi posted) seems to be working. Will have to monitor it across more boots.

Shouldn't this DSDT be placed in the first post?

"I have MacBookPro5,1 in my smbios.plist"

try the no pro.. or pro6,1

Thanks. Yes, I realized my mistake. I am using pro6,1 now.

As I mentioned in the edits to my previous post, the problem was that we need a DSDT edit for 10.7.2 . I wonder why this new DSDT has not made it to the first post.

Given that this DSDT patch ("NVDA,Geforce" replaced with "NVDA,Parent") is required to prevent the black display on boot up in the 10.7.2, I am too wondering as to why that particular patch hasn't made it to the DSDT section of the first post. Of course, simply using the Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler=Yes option in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist altogether negates the need for the DSDT based graphics injection.

Reference thread: After update 10.7.2 Black screen on desktop.

Of course, simply using the Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler=Yes option in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist altogether negates the need for the DSDT based graphics injection.

Since all the DSDT files attached in the first post include graphics injection, having GraphicsEnabler=Yes in the boot.plist has no effect, right?

As suggested in the first post, even with the DSDT based injection, I still have GraphicsEnabler=Yes. But that didn't prevent the black screen when I upgraded to 10.7.2 .

The only way GraphicsEnabler=Yes is going to have an effect is if we edit the DSDT files to remove the graphics injection.

Since all the DSDT files attached in the first post include graphics injection, having GraphicsEnabler=Yes in the boot.plist has no effect, right?

As suggested in the first post, even with the DSDT based injection, I still have GraphicsEnabler=Yes. But that didn't prevent the black screen when I upgraded to 10.7.2 .

The only way GraphicsEnabler=Yes is going to have an effect is if we edit the DSDT files to remove the graphics injection.

It is indeed so, the DSDT based NVidia graphics injection apparently supersedes that of the Chameleon's own native graphics enabler. It is simply unnecessary, redundant and as evidenced by the recent 10.7.2 update, it is also troublesome. So, why not simply dispose with it? I have been using the Chameleon's graphics enabler ever since I moved on to the OS X Lion and trashed the outdated Snow Leopard.

It is indeed so, the DSDT based NVidia graphics injection apparently supersedes that of the Chameleon's own native graphics enabler. It is simply unnecessary, redundant and as evidenced by the recent 10.7.2 update, it is also troublesome. So, why not simply dispose with it? I have been using the Chameleon's graphics enabler ever since I moved on to the OS X Lion and trashed the outdated Snow Leopard.

@DarwinX: Have you tried a multi-monitor setup?

I use a HDMI to DVI cable to connect an external monitor to my M1530 (through the HDMI port). I had used a DSDT which you had posted somewhere in this thread and I found that when using your DSDT, my external monitor was not detected.

Thanks. Yes, I realized my mistake. I am using pro6,1 now.

As I mentioned in the edits to my previous post, the problem was that we need a DSDT edit for 10.7.2 . I wonder why this new DSDT has not made it to the first post.

I'll do it this weekend. Bear with me, I have very little time to work on hacking OS-X nowadays.

I'll do it this weekend. Bear with me, I have very little time to work on hacking OS-X nowadays.

I didn't mean to find fault. I only wanted to know if there is some other problem with the new DSDT patch which is why it had not been put up in the first post.

Thank you for the excellent work!