[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

I didn't mean to find fault. I only wanted to know if there is some other problem with the new DSDT patch which is why it had not been put up in the first post.

Thank you for the excellent work!

You're welcome. In the future take note that this guide will not be updated immediately after any OS-X release (nor has it ever). I always date everything so if it's dated before a release, that's a red flag to do your own research before upgrading.

Immo

@Anjan Tek

There a no problems with a Multi-Monitor setup and HDMI to DVI with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I wonder if there is a chance to get HDMI to HDMI work again.

@LatinMcG

Thank you for your help with the WLAN Card, works like a charm.

luggi

@Anjan Tek

There a no problems with a Multi-Monitor setup and HDMI to DVI with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. I wonder if there is a chance to get HDMI to HDMI work again.

luggi

@luggi, I guess there was a misunderstanding. My question regarding multi-monitor setup was for DarwinX, because he was saying that it is unnecessary for the DSDT to have the injection in it. So, I was wondering if the multi-monitor setup works with the plain Chameleon injection (GraphicsEnabler=Yes), without the DSDT injection.

My multi-monitor setup IS working with the DSDT injection. As mentioned earlier, having the DSDT injection in place ignores the Chameleon injection. So, GraphicsEnabler=Yes doesn't have any effect with our DSDTs.

Thanks.

Last night I updated the first post and the DSDTs to include the video injection patch to fix the back screens for 10.7.2. As usual, I'm unable to test the M1530 DSDT because I have an M1330 myself, so your feedback is requested and appreciated.

I am intrigued by the idea of skipping the video patch altogether and using Chameleon GraphicsEnabler instead as has been suggested above. Historically with older releases I've had issues while not doing the video patch such as the clamshell not working, mirroring not working, and sleep not working. Of course Chameleon has come a long way since then. When I have time I'd like to verify that none of these issues exist with no video DSDT patch and GraphicsEnabler set to yes. If this works I may post DSDTs with no video injection.

Note my comment about VoodooPS2Controller.kext in the guide as well. It no longer automatically loads the trackpad unless the kext is placed in /System/Library/Extensions.

Immo

@DarwinX: Have you tried a multi-monitor setup?

I use a HDMI to DVI cable to connect an external monitor to my M1530 (through the HDMI port). I had used a DSDT which you had posted somewhere in this thread and I found that when using your DSDT, my external monitor was not detected.

Earlier, I missed the fact that your question was directed at me. To answer your question, I've never connected any external displays to my M1530. However, since the Chameleon's native graphics injection provides identical support to the manual DSDT injection method, it should theoretically support multiple displays.

Historically with older releases I've had issues while not doing the video patch such as the clamshell not working, mirroring not working, and sleep not working.

I also recall now that there was a 3D performance advantage to using the DSDT injection over the GraphicsEnabler in the past, as a benchmark revealed (can't remember which benchmark). No idea why. It's another thing to check for.

@immo

With XBench i got nearly the same Result. (I ran the Test twice with each Configuration)

post-274481-1319559304_thumb.png

Good to know! Perhaps my concerns are all obsolete. Do you have an external monitor to see if mirroring works?

I can test both injection types on my M1530. To confirm, to remove the DSDT injection, do I just have to remove the section described under the heading "Optional: NVidia Injection (also required for clamshell and sleep)" from my DSDT?

Or if somebody could post their non-graphics-injected DSDT for the M1530 (any CPU), that would be great.

To confirm, to remove the DSDT injection, do I just have to remove the section described under the heading "Optional: NVidia Injection (also required for clamshell and sleep)" from my DSDT?

Correct.

I can test both injection types on my M1530. To confirm, to remove the DSDT injection, do I just have to remove the section described under the heading "Optional: NVidia Injection (also required for clamshell and sleep)" from my DSDT?

Or if somebody could post their non-graphics-injected DSDT for the M1530 (any CPU), that would be great.

Immo's Latest Dell XPS M1530 DSDT.aml with the NVidia graphics injection removed:

DSDT_M1530_NO_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20111023.zip

@immo

Mirroring is working without any problems. The external monitor is even working as an extended display. Connected over HDMI -> DVI.

Just a minor issue with the name, and the size of the internal Monitor:

[/img]

Excellent. I think this is the way to go. I'll aim to get the first post updated with M1330 and M1530 DSDTs with no video patch this weekend.

one thing the PNLF in _SB makes lid sleep work.. no need for gfx injection.

the nvidias are known for bad dual monitor resolution support. working? = is good enough.

(when i built pc dvr camera windows xp based. i had to use ati due to dual monitor support was more complete in ati).. nvidia was headaches

OK the DSDTs with no video patch for both M1330 and M1530 are posted. As always I can't test the M1530 one since I have an M1330 so please leave feedback. Don't forget you need to set GraphicsEnabler=Yes in Chameleon.

Immo

I was wondering if anyone has been able to solve the sleep problem with Lion. Sleep worked pretty consistently with Snow Leopard but with Lion 10.7-10.7.2, the M1530(2.1ghz C2D, 3gigs RAM) will sleep cycle once OK but the second time Sleep is attempted, the M1530 restarts.

If I change the DSDT, this problem varies. For example when I use my DSDT with all of the new edits or the one that is attached to post 963 above, the one with the nVidia edit, I get one sleep cycle(but no more than one). If I use the DSDT from page 1 of this thread, the one with the most recent nVidia edits, I get no sleep cycles - the M1530 restarts immediately after any attempt to sleep.

I am using Chameleon 1627vs, hibernate mode is set to 0(though if it's set to 3, no difference), even tried turning off secure virtual memory, which is much harder to do in Lion than it was in Snow Leopard. I've tried MacBook5,1, MacBookPro5,1 and MacBookPro6,1 in the smbios.plist - no difference.

S/L/E extensions: fakeSMC, v3.1.0 rev 493, AppleHDAdisabler, VoodooBattery, HDA and PS2Controller. UseKernelCache=yes. No E/E folder with accompanying extensions.mkext in the Extra folder.

My apologies if I have missed the solution posted somewhere else in this thread and several others. I know I'm not the only one who gets one sleep cycle, then a restart when sleep is attempted for the second time. Other than that, Lion seems to work pretty well...

I was wondering if anyone has been able to solve the sleep problem with Lion. Sleep worked pretty consistently with Snow Leopard but with Lion 10.7-10.7.2, the M1530(2.1ghz C2D, 3gigs RAM) will sleep cycle once OK but the second time Sleep is attempted, the M1530 restarts.

If I change the DSDT, this problem varies. For example when I use my DSDT with all of the new edits or the one that is attached to post 963 above, the one with the nVidia edit, I get one sleep cycle(but no more than one). If I use the DSDT from page 1 of this thread, the one with the most recent nVidia edits, I get no sleep cycles - the M1530 restarts immediately after any attempt to sleep.

I am using Chameleon 1627vs, hibernate mode is set to 0(though if it's set to 3, no difference), even tried turning off secure virtual memory, which is much harder to do in Lion than it was in Snow Leopard. I've tried MacBook5,1, MacBookPro5,1 and MacBookPro6,1 in the smbios.plist - no difference.

S/L/E extensions: fakeSMC, v3.1.0 rev 493, AppleHDAdisabler, VoodooBattery, HDA and PS2Controller. UseKernelCache=yes. No E/E folder with accompanying extensions.mkext in the Extra folder.

My apologies if I have missed the solution posted somewhere else in this thread and several others. I know I'm not the only one who gets one sleep cycle, then a restart when sleep is attempted for the second time. Other than that, Lion seems to work pretty well...

Just like you, I too experience the same system sleep/wake cycle pattern. Perhaps, the key to resolving this could lie in the discrepancies between the official M1530 DSDT from the bottom of the first post and the one that I'm currently using which is based on the official M1530 DSDT. Unfortunately, although I am capable of editing and patching the DSDT.aml with known patches, my knowledge of ACPI coding is non existent, and therefore I could offer no insight on this matter apart from comparing both of those DSDTs side by side to discover their subtle differences in attempt to elucidate and hopefully resolve this perplexing matter.

OK the DSDTs with no video patch for both M1330 and M1530 are posted. As always I can't test the M1530 one since I have an M1330 so please leave feedback. Don't forget you need to set GraphicsEnabler=Yes in Chameleon.

Immo

Regarding the DSDT without the NVIDIA graphics injection (DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20111029.zip), I can confirm that a dual-monitor setup does NOT work with this DSDT. I have tested this extensively. And I have seen that the second monitor (connected via an HDMI-to-DVI cable) does not get detected when using this DSDT. The same behavior is observed when using the DSDT from post 963 too.

The second monitor DOES get detected when using the DSDT from October 23 (DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20111023.zip) and everything works fine. So, at least for me, the NVIDIA graphics injection in the DSDT makes a big difference, since I use a dual-monitor setup everyday.

Maybe the issue is with my Chameleon? I am using Chimera version 1.6 (which is the latest).

The sleep behavior is as described by phile.

Regarding the DSDT without the NVIDIA graphics injection (DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20111029.zip), I can confirm that a dual-monitor setup does NOT work with this DSDT. I have tested this extensively. And I have seen that the second monitor (connected via an HDMI-to-DVI cable) does not get detected when using this DSDT. The same behavior is observed when using the DSDT from post 963 too.

The second monitor DOES get detected when using the DSDT from October 23 (DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20111023.zip) and everything works fine. So, at least for me, the NVIDIA graphics injection in the DSDT makes a big difference, since I use a dual-monitor setup everyday.

Maybe the issue is with my Chameleon? I am using Chimera version 1.6 (which is the latest).

The sleep behavior is as described by phile.

Just to be clear, by dual monitor do you mean one connected to HDMI-DVI, and one to VGA, or do you mean one to HDMI->DVI and one to the laptop screen? If you mean the latter, then we've found another difference between M1530 and M1330 because it works fine on the M1330.

I wonder if it can be resolved by overriding the NVCAP settings?

The NVIDIA DSDT patch contains the NVCAP settings in this part:

"NVCAP",
Buffer (0x18)
{
  /* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00,
  /* 0008 */ 0x06, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00,
  /* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

I'm not sure how to inject this with modern Chameleon however.

For my System(M1530) either Graphics Injection from DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20111029.zip or the Injection from Chameleon (svn-r1618) works fine with dual monitor support. I think there is something wrong with Chimera 1.6.

Even triple Monitor support is there with the Laptop Screen + External Screen thourgh HDMI->DVI + an VGA Monitor.

Just to be clear, by dual monitor do you mean one connected to HDMI-DVI, and one to VGA, or do you mean one to HDMI->DVI and one to the laptop screen? If you mean the latter, then we've found another difference between M1530 and M1330 because it works fine on the M1330.

I mean the latter. The laptop screen + an external monitor connected via an HDMI-to-DVI cable. Very similar to luggi's screenshot in Post 964.

For my System(M1530) either Graphics Injection from DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20111029.zip or the Injection from Chameleon (svn-r1618) works fine with dual monitor support. I think there is something wrong with Chimera 1.6.

Even triple Monitor support is there with the Laptop Screen + External Screen thourgh HDMI->DVI + an VGA Monitor.

Yeah, then I guess it has something to do with Chimera. Let me try Chameleon version that you have.

What exactly do you mean when you say "Graphics Injection from DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20111029.zip"? I thought that DSDT did not inject anything related to graphics.