[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

This has been continuously discussed ad nauseam everywhere including this very thread. Just use the DSDT_M1330_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20110720 from the front page of this thread or simply properly patch the PCI section of your existing DSDT.aml (_ADR to _UID) No kext roll back is necessary.

Thank you, my error. I was using the autopatcher from MaLd0n, I just noticed that it was not updated with the latest patches from here. I will inform him.

DarwinX cool stuff.

yah i tried to do minimal to see if i could narrow down to the issue (oops i had changed RTC blindly)

also did the firewire power conservation message disappear ?

no u forgot the L1A in _GPE

Method (_L09, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           Store (SMI (0xC6, Zero), Local0)
           If (And (Local0, One))
           {
               Store (One, \_SB.PCI0.RP01.PSP1)
               Notify (\_SB.PCI0.RP01.PXS1, 0x02)
           }

If (And (Local0, 0x04))
           {
               Notify (\_SB.PCI0.RP05.PXS5, 0x02)
           }
       }
       Method (_L1A, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           Notify (\_SB.PCI0.PCIE.FRWR, Zero)
           Notify (\_SB.PBTN, 0x02)
       }
   }

is the voodoosdhc loading for the Device SDHC ?

i have to find my good card.. i was trying a mini 1gb in a sd card adapter. .but the mini 1gb is cracked. so i dunno if this is a working kext or not.

it works.. a little slow on eject but works

DarwinX cool stuff.

yah i tried to do minimal to see if i could narrow down to the issue (oops i had changed RTC blindly)

also did the firewire power conservation message disappear ?

no u forgot the L1A in _GPE

Method (_L09, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           Store (SMI (0xC6, Zero), Local0)
           If (And (Local0, One))
           {
               Store (One, \_SB.PCI0.RP01.PSP1)
               Notify (\_SB.PCI0.RP01.PXS1, 0x02)
           }

If (And (Local0, 0x04))
           {
               Notify (\_SB.PCI0.RP05.PXS5, 0x02)
           }
       }
       Method (_L1A, 0, NotSerialized)
       {
           Notify (\_SB.PCI0.PCIE.FRWR, Zero)
           Notify (\_SB.PBTN, 0x02)
       }
   }

is the voodoosdhc loading for the Device SDHC ?

i have to find my good card.. i was trying a mini 1gb in a sd card adapter. .but the mini 1gb is cracked. so i dunno if this is a working kext or not.

it works.. a little slow on eject but works

The firewire error is now gone:

FireWire (OHCI) VendorID 1180 ID 832 built-in now active, GUID 444fc000191811c1; max speed s400.

Instead of any further second guessing, I am just going to use your latest revision instead of mine.

As far as the SDHC, I believe that the VoodooSDHC.kext did load successfully to provide the SD functionality even before the fore mentioned edits.

Would you care to elaborate as to what is gained by the addition of your SDHC code as well as the WLAN code which adds the proper Apple Airport card read out rather than my current ambiguous "Third-Party Wireless Card" one?

Another issue is that at boot up the system intermittently halts with the following memory allocation error likely caused by the bootloader (C2RC5):

Unable to convert memory map into proper format

;)

sdhc no real improvements .. (cosmetic i believe)

wireless.. the IOvendor Apple can make it more stable but i rather use AR5B91 though.

(i have a bcm94321 and bcm94315 but linux likes my atheros. but bcm94321 i have works fine)

i just made my lion roar and VooDoops2 andyvand december picked up touchpad (synaptics) and keyboard during setup

(i used the ones in 10.6.8 /S/L/E likely permissions fixed :( )

the voodoohda also works 2.7.2 (no hdmi in my laptop)

in my inspiron 1520 MacBookPro6,1

apparently the GraphicsEnabler is not working think its rev 1171 im testing.. more to come.

i had to add the Nvidia dsdt inject.

im also getting ARPT cannot assert wake from d3cold

and the Lion partition is hidden readonly. bahh i got to taste lion but he scratched back!

EDIT: reinstalled with dsdt modded to inject Nvidia and erased Lion partition. all working

had to use New AcpiPS2Nub for lion included in my LionO pack (scroll works nice on synaptics)

sleep works but on wake it shuts down.= applertc.kext patch needed. or 10.6.8 RTC? nope still shutsdown. let me revise my stuff :)

1520LionO.zip

how did u install 10.6 ?

what kexts are u using?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1249061

this might be for 10.5 ??

hi

i used the dell preboot cd in this forum, and snow leopard 10.6.0 retail copy purchased from ebay.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=242457

voodoohda 2.7.2.pkg, DSDT_M1330_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20110720.zip, smbios.plist.zip.

thanks

hi there I had the same problem when updating to 10.6.8, i wouldnt get any kernel panics on reboot but it would load very slow and just freeze or hang at certain places, sometimes it would load to a blue screen. Are you having any of these symptoms?

I havent tried to experiment further as 10.6.7 currently works fine for me

Look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1718282

Its a problem with the Airport Moniter Bundle.

Hi I have a stable desktop build of Lion working...just got an old M1330 laptop and was planning on putting snow leopard on it. Before I start...I just wanted to make sure of the files I need. I have read through the threads.....

1. DSDT_M1330_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20110720.zip (this should have all the latest fixes in it) Do I need to apply any other fix to this DSDT?

2. Then I just add the kexts that OP mentions in his first post.

3. For the kexts that need to be removed: As far as I know: NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, SleepEnabler.kext, SMBIOSResolver.kext and IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext are custom texts and go in the E/E folder...so basically don't use these kexts. Then AppleHDA is in the S/L/E folder.....should this be deleted is using VoodooHDA.kext?

Any help will be great. I'll be getting my SSD today and hopefully will start with SL. Also wondering for those who are using Lion...does the M1330 work just as great with Lion as it does with SL 10.6.8? Thanks for the help!

Alrite I have SL 10.6.8 up and running on my M1330. Just had a few questions on the location that the kexts need to be installed.

1. I have the following kexts in my E/E folder:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

I wanted to install the following kexts and wanted to know which location do they go in: E/E or S/L/E?

Please advice

I was going to delete ApplePS2Controlled and place in VoodooPS2 controller. Please advice where this should go in S/L/E or E/E.

Also is it still necessary to delete AppleHDA.kext if using VoodooHDA kext?

Lastly....can this run in 64 bit mode with all kexts installed or is the computer limited to 32 bit mode. Thanks for your help.

Alrite I have SL 10.6.8 up and running on my M1330. Just had a few questions on the location that the kexts need to be installed.

1. I have the following kexts in my E/E folder:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

You do not need modded IOATAFamily if you have the correct DSDT (latest anycpu for 1330 in the first post). Just keep the vanilla IOATAFamily in S/L/E

I wanted to install the following kexts and wanted to know which location do they go in: E/E or S/L/E?

Please advice

I was going to delete ApplePS2Controlled and place in VoodooPS2 controller. Please advice where this should go in S/L/E or E/E.

VoodooPS2 can go into E/E, but make sure you remove BOTH ApplePS2 and AppleACPIPS2Nub

Also is it still necessary to delete AppleHDA.kext if using VoodooHDA kext?

Yes, or just move it to a backup, but it should not be allowed to load along with VoodooPS2

Lastly....can this run in 64 bit mode with all kexts installed or is the computer limited to 32 bit mode. Thanks for your help.

Full almighty 64.

Also, the 1530 needs VoodooBattery for the icon. I am not so sure about the 1330 but I think it should.

Hi Guys,

I have asked this in Mcgirls thread and got no reply. So I'm trying here.

I gather that some people have the M1530 internal Microphone working with Skype. Well I have tried various VoodooHDA kexts but in vain.

I am currently using Slice's VoodooHDA (2.7.2) with his recommended pin codes and have made some progress.

The internal mic now works but has low sensitivity, i.e. very low when tested with Skype Test call.

Has anyone got any further than that with the internal mic.

Note that External mic input is OK.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have asked this in Mcgirls thread and got no reply. So I'm trying here.

I gather that some people have the M1530 internal Microphone working with Skype. Well I have tried various VoodooHDA kexts but in vain.

I am currently using Slice's VoodooHDA (2.7.2) with his recommended pin codes and have made some progress.

The internal mic now works but has low sensitivity, i.e. very low when tested with Skype Test call.

Has anyone got any further than that with the internal mic.

Note that External mic input is OK.

Thanks

clean the mic hole. its clogged with junk likely :D

i kinda slowed down on lion.. it works .but rtc reset sux on wake. even with 0x02

i dint change anything in my AirportMonitOr (might need it for M1530) .. i just unchecked automatically ask to join networks. (AR5B91 not bcm9xxx)

voodoops2 isnt always reliable in /E/E

clean the mic hole. its clogged with junk likely :)

Well LatinMcG, I didn't know you had it in you :) . I suppose we need a bit of humour every now and then.

If I take you seriously, the mic works perfectly under windows. Having said that, are you implying that your Stac9228 has a good pickup on the internal mic?

If yes, could you attach your VoodooHDA and prefpane please? It may be worth a try. ;)

Thanks

You do not need modded IOATAFamily if you have the correct DSDT (latest anycpu for 1330 in the first post). Just keep the vanilla IOATAFamily in S/L/E

VoodooPS2 can go into E/E, but make sure you remove BOTH ApplePS2 and AppleACPIPS2Nub

Yes, or just move it to a backup, but it should not be allowed to load along with VoodooPS2

Full almighty 64.

Also, the 1530 needs VoodooBattery for the icon. I am not so sure about the 1330 but I think it should.

Thanks for your help Talisman. For my M1330, I removed IOATAfamily.kext and AppleACPIPS2NUB.kext. My E/E folder now only has: AppleHDAdisabler.kext (i'm using this instead of deleting the AppleHDA.kext), Fakesmc.kext with mobo plugins, voodoobattery.kext, voodooPS2controller.kext, VoodooSDHC.kext.

In my S/L/E i have the VoodooHDA and BCM5722D.kext installed.

Almost everything is working well, except for Sleep (I know shutdown doesn't work). I can put the computer to sleep. On wake it restarts has a CMOS reset each time with a long boot time. After resetting the settings at Lion boot it says

header read size 200
Resuming from Encrypted image is unsupported
Uncheck "Use secure virual memory" in "Security pane on System Preferences
Press any key to proceed with normal boot

I also tried appleRTC patching that is recc'd to stop CMOS resets with Lion. Thought it was worth a shot. But no go. Still no wake from sleep and still have CMOS resets.

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x44\x89\xf8|\xeb\x30\x44\x89\xf8|; s|\x75\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|\xeb\x3d\x8b\x75\x08|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

My com.apple.boot.plist is below. Please let me know if I should any other code to it. Thanks.

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=X86_64</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I have the latest dsdt on the 1st page from 07/20/11. Do I need to make any more patches to the DSDT to get the system to wake? Immo mentioned he has waking from sleep working. I am running 10.6.8 64 bit. Will post my com.apple.boot.plist file soon. Thanks for your help.

i have stac9205 .. the kext can be moded in the plist to increase level. all at projectosx vodoohda thread.

i do have same lion cmos reset even with patch... or with old rtc snow.

(im keeping snow as primary.. lion isnt ready for full time for me)

the lion seems to work good on synaptics with appleacpips2 in my LionO zip Post #856 (not voodoops2)

i have stac9205 .. the kext can be moded in the plist to increase level. all at projectosx vodoohda thread.

Hi LatinMcG,

Thanks for responding. I have ploughed through every thread I could find - most interesting ones were on Project OSX. Tried all the permutations with pin codes and Slice's mods. But no luck with the internal mic sound level. I would have to wait for the new voodooHDA 2.7.3. to be released.

What I find a bit frustrating is all the M1530 owners on this thread not daring to comment.

Cheers

header read size 200
Resuming from Encrypted image is unsupported
Uncheck "Use secure virual memory" in "Security pane on System Preferences
Press any key to proceed with normal boot

Do precisely what that says. Go into System Preferences -> Security and make sure secure virtual memory is unchecked.

The open a terminal as root and do this (as just S0 works reliably for now.)

pmset -a hibernatemode 0
rm /var/vm/sleepimage

reboot and check if sleep is working. There are other ways of making sleep work, but I prefer this.

I would rather remove the AppleHDA than use a kext for blocking it, you might get faster boot time. I don't think that is interfering with the sleep as I have never used it.

Also make sure you have no bios password set. That has been known to interfere with sleep.

Hi LatinMcG,

Thanks for responding. I have ploughed through every thread I could find - most interesting ones were on Project OSX. Tried all the permutations with pin codes and Slice's mods. But no luck with the internal mic sound level. I would have to wait for the new voodooHDA 2.7.3. to be released.

What I find a bit frustrating is all the M1530 owners on this thread not daring to comment.

Cheers

Yes, there are some M1530 owners on this thread who are willing to live up to your dare, just that they also have to finish their PhDs :( !!

Don't bother with the pin configs, they will not give you anything for the mic. The config is read correctly (almost!!) by the binary.

Install VoodooHDA Preference Pane and jack up the levels in the mic section to max.

There is another bug which strangely appeared in the later versions of SL (I forget exactly when). the mic setting don't get loaded at boot. So you have to unload and reload the VHDA kext every time you boot. This you can do from the terminal and make sure you check the settings in the VHDA pref pane after doing this. You can automate reloading of the kext with a script set to run at boot time. I haven't done it coz I hardly use the mic and when I do, I do all of the above.

Yes, there are some M1530 owners on this thread who are willing to live up to your dare, just that they also have to finish their PhDs :D !!

Hi Talisman,

Thanks for taking the time away (from your PhD ?) to offer some advice. I am aware that you have been very proactive on the subject and appreciate your feedback.

I hope I was being rude. I just needed some members to share their experiences. It felt like I was the only one with the problem and that I was missing something out. After your advice, I can now relax and brush the mic problem under the carpet.

It's not all that desperate as the external mic works brilliantly but is not ideal for carrying around.

Thanks and regards, :roll eyes:

P.S. Could you post your VoodooHDA please?

Do precisely what that says. Go into System Preferences -> Security and make sure secure virtual memory is unchecked.

The open a terminal as root and do this (as just S0 works reliably for now.)

pmset -a hibernatemode 0
rm /var/vm/sleepimage

reboot and check if sleep is working. There are other ways of making sleep work, but I prefer this.

I would rather remove the AppleHDA than use a kext for blocking it, you might get faster boot time. I don't think that is interfering with the sleep as I have never used it.

Thanks Talisman...worked like a charm. It sleeps in state 0 if I put it to sleep manually. On lid closure it doesn't start back up...but if I put it to sleep and close the lid...then it wakes back up. Also no more CMOS resets on startup. Thanks! I guess its pretty much done and as complete as its going to be.

I was wondering if anyone know how much more battery is consumed on State 0 vs. normal sleep.

also my computer is CPU is heating up quite a bit more than it used to. The fan is running. Temps run up to 82 on max load. Thing that sucks is the air vent is at the bottom and it is lies on my lap its blocked and heats up even more...any workaround for that? I am using BIOS A014. Thanks.

Here is the VoodooHDA stuff... prefpane and kext.

Also, sleep should be working with lid close too, at least it works for the M1530. Make sure you don't have any old "clamshell" kexts loading. We used to use those a long time back.

About the heating, check if you have working pstates (Use anycpu DSDT instead of processer specific). Also, some of the softwares out there do not read the temp correctly. I use istat nano and coolbook controller and take a rough average. I run at ~50C on light load and ~65 on heavy load for processer temp. However, I never keep it on my lap, have a 9 cell which elevates the laptop facilitating airflow and keep my house really really cold.

However, my second M1530 is overheating and I suspect the GPU is on its death bed. I will have it warranty replaced soon.

VoodooHDA_2.7.2.zip

Thanks for the help Talisman.....just ran into a new issue. I have a Logtiech anywhere mouse. Whenever I plug it in...I get a kernel panic...sometimes right away and sometimes after a few minutes...I am running with voodoops2controller.kext only for keyboard/mouse. If that the conflict? Anyway around this? Thanks.

Thanks for the help Talisman.....just ran into a new issue. I have a Logtiech anywhere mouse. Whenever I plug it in...I get a kernel panic...sometimes right away and sometimes after a few minutes...I am running with voodoops2controller.kext only for keyboard/mouse. If that the conflict? Anyway around this? Thanks.

Try installing the logitech drivers from their website...