[GUIDE] Making a DSDT.aml for Dell XPS M1330, XPS M1530, and XPS M1730

immo

2,030 posts in this topic

My current DSDT.aml is not generic to my bios but is based on the front page non specific CPU DSDT.aml. So, you should be able to use it without any problems. As far as the video, since we are both using Chameleon's native graphics injection, it isn't an issue either. Here are my smbios and boot plists:

smbios.plist.ziporg.chameleon.Boot.plist.zip

Thanks! Will report back how it goes!

DarwinX:

I am running my XPS 15.4" screen at its native resolution of 1920x1600x32. Your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file showed a much lower resolution. I don't know if your 15.4 screen is a lower native resolution than mine, or if you just like running it a lower resolution, or if you were not aware of the higher resolution. Just wanted to mention this in case you would like to benefit from a higher resolution and find yourself able to.

DarwinX

Wow, this is awesome. Loaded up your DSDT, org.boot, and SMbios files, and the new battery kext.

My battery was previously showing "0%, not charging" even though I knew it was fully charged. As soon as I rebooted with the new files, it changed to showing "100%, fully charged."

My system is running great! The voltage controls are doing much better, and the temperatures are running cooler! Thank you SO much!

DarwinX:

I am running my XPS 15.4" screen at its native resolution of 1920x1600x32. Your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file showed a much lower resolution. I don't know if your 15.4 screen is a lower native resolution than mine, or if you just like running it a lower resolution, or if you were not aware of the higher resolution. Just wanted to mention this in case you would like to benefit from a higher resolution and find yourself able to.

Perhaps you have a LED display, mine is an LCD display with a maximum native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

DarwinX

Wow, this is awesome. Loaded up your DSDT, org.boot, and SMbios files, and the new battery kext.

My battery was previously showing "0%, not charging" even though I knew it was fully charged. As soon as I rebooted with the new files, it changed to showing "100%, fully charged."

My system is running great! The voltage controls are doing much better, and the temperatures are running cooler! Thank you SO much!

No problem. I am glad that this has worked for you. However, all credit is due to Zprood.

can I use your dsdt etc also with my configuration? sorry for my english but in the previous post I can't understand if you have a generic or a specific dsdt for cpu. thank you

I am assuming that your question is being directed at me. If so, then yes, you can as that DSDT.aml is based on the front page non specific CPU DSDT.aml

QUOTE (raimdal @ Nov 23 2011, 08:04 PM)

can I use your dsdt etc also with my configuration? sorry for my english but in the previous post I can't understand if you have a generic or a specific dsdt for cpu. thank you

I am assuming that your question is being directed at me. If so, then yes, you can as that DSDT.aml is based on the front page non specific CPU DSDT.aml

Could someone with clamshell sleep knowledge help? I looked at the first page, and have tried but couldn't get it to compile using dsdtse. :)

Sleep works from Apple Menu command with the attached DSDT.aml.

When I close the lid, the computer restarts. Someone help!

The DSDT is from the first page 20091117.zip

I'm running 10.7.2.

DSDT.aml.zip

Could someone with clamshell sleep knowledge help? I looked at the first page, and have tried but couldn't get it to compile using dsdtse. :)

I'm running 10.7.2.

thats the lion sleep rtc bug.

put under SB

{ // under this bracket

Device (PNLF)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))

Name (_CID, "backlight")

Name (_UID, 0x0A)

Name (_STA, 0x0B)

}

• 2 weeks later...

LatinMcG, the code is under Scope (_SB) and the symptom is the same.

Closing the lid, restarts the machine and I really need it to sleep.

Sleep from Apple menu sleeps the machine the first time. The second time selecting the sleep command restarts the machine as well. I've combed through  this thread and others on the web. It appears that it may be the DSDT that I'm using as 10.6.7 worked flawlessly. Now at 10.7.2, wake/sleep and media keys do not seem to work.

Here's the spec on my machine:

m1530 C2D

nVidia 8600 GT 256MB

Nothing in E/E

In S/L/E:

AppleRTC (patched CMOS reset)

FakeSMC (v 3.1.0)

IntelThermal

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

NVClockX

OSXRestart

SleepEnabler (won't sleep at all w/o it)

SuperIOFamily (only PC8739x plugin)

VoodooHDA

VoodooPS2Controller

I've attached the current DSDT, smbios, and org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Any ideas?

Help.zip

Could someone with clamshell sleep knowledge help? I looked at the first page, and have tried but couldn't get it to compile using dsdtse. :(

I'm running 10.7.2.

Are you sure that this is the DSDT you are using? If so, why not try the most recent one? This DSDT is quite old. Also confirm that your Chameleon is a recent RC5 build.

You do not need SleepEnabler or IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector if you are using the latest DSDTs and have Chameleon and smbios.plist set up correctly. I would remove them.

I do not use IntelThermal, and I use a vanilla AppleRTC. Maybe try removing those to see if it helps.

In smbios.plist, MacBookPro4,1 does not work properly. Try MacBook5,1 (not pro).

P.S. my computer will sleep on lid close only if it is not plugged in. It used to sleep either way. This is a Lion change.

Immo

Are you sure that this is the DSDT you are using? If so, why not try the most recent one? This DSDT is quite old. Also confirm that your Chameleon is a recent RC5 build.

You do not need SleepEnabler or IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector if you are using the latest DSDTs and have Chameleon and smbios.plist set up correctly. I would remove them.

I do not use IntelThermal, and I use a vanilla AppleRTC. Maybe try removing those to see if it helps.

In smbios.plist, MacBookPro4,1 does not work properly. Try MacBook5,1 (not pro).

P.S. my computer will sleep on lid close only if it is not plugged in. It used to sleep either way. This is a Lion change.

Immo

First, thanks for putting together a great guide!

I've tried nearly all the DSDT you have on the first post.

I'm currently using the DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20110720.zip and it seems to sleep the system the first time from the Apple menu but restarts if I select sleep again either from the menu or via pressing the power button and selecting the sleep button.

I tried MacBook5,1 (attached to this post) and now choosing sleep just restarts the machine. I do not have vanilla AppleRTC anymore and it wasn't inn 10.7.2 combo update (I didn't see it using Pacifist).

Chameleon is the most recent build (v2.1 svn r1706). Is there a better version I should use?

Also, I used Chameleon Pref Pane to extract ACPI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ACPI.zip

smbiosMB51.plist.zip

Been away for a while. Wife kept noting the constant request to update to 10.6.8, so I decided to make the DSDT fixes and update to 10.6.8.

M1530, 8600M GT, on 10.6.7, Chimera 1.4

Immo,

I applied all your fixes. I diff'd my DSDT against your latest DSDT. The only differences were Nvidia injection (which I had left in), and some extra USB code, likely because you have a 1330.

It booted, but was very laggy with no wifi. I used Talisman's recommendation to revert to the old Airport Monitor Bundle, and things seem to work perfectly. I'll update if I find any new problems. Immo, you are the bestest!

Now the only thing missing is HDMI-HDMI output.

Good to know, especially since I no longer have a Snow Leopard install to test with. Thanks for the feedback, and sorry I missed this earlier.

Maybe the USB differences are from the May 30th changes to fix sleep while unplugged on later versions of 10.6 and higher? The patch is a little funny in that it only applies to some of the otherwise identical USB sections (I guess the ones that are actually mapped?).

Immo

First, thanks for putting together a great guide!

I've tried nearly all the DSDT you have on the first post.

I'm currently using the DSDT_M1530_NVIDIA_ANYCPU_20110720.zip and it seems to sleep the system the first time from the Apple menu but restarts if I select sleep again either from the menu or via pressing the power button and selecting the sleep button.

I tried MacBook5,1 (attached to this post) and now choosing sleep just restarts the machine. I do not have vanilla AppleRTC anymore and it wasn't inn 10.7.2 combo update (I didn't see it using Pacifist).

Chameleon is the most recent build (v2.1 svn r1706). Is there a better version I should use?

Also, I used Chameleon Pref Pane to extract ACPI. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Before spending too much time running in circles, does anyone with an M1530 have sleep working under 10.7.2? I have an M1330 myself, and others with M1530 have posted about similar issues.

laggy no wireless = MacBookPro4,1 or missing SMboardproduct

i have issues with lion or snow now sleeping. i believe RTC needs to be left alone original. and chameleon versions do matter.

i believe the HPET needs return 0x0F not 0x0B

yes Immo I have m1530 and sleep works I use macbookpro 5,3 in smbios, now I will upload my configuration, I want to say that I haven't kexts in my extra/extensions but only in S/L/E , and lately I'm using the DSDT with new kext for battery posted some weeks ago...but well it's all in the zip file. In the first folder you have my old /Extra with a great DSDT found in these topics and never had kernel panic on startup, but I don't remember about sleep, I think it was already ok...now I'm using the DSDT in the 3th folder...it random give me some kernel panic (1 time on 10) but sleep sure works and the temperatures are better also if fan works more (but it's better for my sweet m1530) I hope it will works for you...P.S. I have lion on first partition so I've also included the screenshot of my chameleon panel that can be important. Bye

M1530collection.zip

yes Immo I have m1530 and sleep works I use macbookpro 5,3 in smbios, now I will upload my configuration, I want to say that I haven't kexts in my extra/extensions but only in S/L/E , and lately I'm using the DSDT with new kext for battery posted some weeks ago...but well it's all in the zip file. In the first folder you have my old /Extra with a great DSDT found in these topics and never had kernel panic on startup, but I don't remember about sleep, I think it was already ok...now I'm using the DSDT in the 3th folder...it random give me some kernel panic (1 time on 10) but sleep sure works and the temperatures are better also if fan works more (but it's better for my sweet m1530) I hope it will works for you...P.S. I have lion on first partition so I've also included the screenshot of my chameleon panel that can be important. Bye

Both of the DSDT's that you provided are identical to each other and my very own current DSDT.aml which is based on the the latest M1530 DSDT.aml from the front page. By the way, why are you using the AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext?

if I remember it's for detect correctly the keyboard, but one problem still remain because on the left of "1" I obtain" <>" I installed that from a forum that reported the problem solved...but was untrue...the DSDT wasn't mine...The first was from a post who resolved the problem of black screen on lion...And works perfectly for this...the second it's that you posted with new kext for battery...and someone was really happy of this So I assume it's working but my battery is dead...but I see that the temperature are lower and the fun is more times active so some difference I think will be.

but the question was different...and was if someone with a m1530 has sleep working....I have it and so I post my configuration....I remember that in the past I setted by terminal the mode 0 but I think in Lion I didn't....when I upgrade the system...from leopard to snow leopard to lion I made a lot of changement when I saw something wrong and I backup the working configuration but I don't remember every step in particular

well I've tried your smbios and then systeminfo show me incorrect information and when I close the screen (the lid? sorry for my english) my sleep didn't work , with my smbios and your or mine org.chameleonetc etc the sleep works again....and the system info are corrects...see the pictures: the frequency of bus and cpu are incorrect with your and correct with mine so I think macbook pro 5,3 it's better than 5,1....I'm not an expert but seems clear the difference

I think it's real interesting this topic, and thank you for your answers...I think you can explain to me some things, the first question is: after reading your org.chameleon I've seen that it start with

<key>CSTUsingSystemIO</key>

<string>Yes</string>

this is to obtain c-state? are C-state now working on m1530? and if the answer is not why do you use it? there is some benefit the same?

post-297597-0-22060700-1323570289_thumb.png

post-297597-0-49752800-1323570334_thumb.png

if I remember it's for detect correctly the keyboard, but one problem still remain because on the left of "1" I obtain" <>" I installed that from a forum that reported the problem solved...but was untrue...the DSDT wasn't mine...The first was from a post who resolved the problem of black screen on lion...And works perfectly for this...the second it's that you posted with new kext for battery...and someone was really happy of this So I assume it's working but my battery is dead...but I see that the temperature are lower and the fun is more times active so some difference I think will be.

but the question was different...and was if someone with a m1530 has sleep working....I have it and so I post my configuration....I remember that in the past I setted by terminal the mode 0 but I think in Lion I didn't....when I upgrade the system...from leopard to snow leopard to lion I made a lot of changement when I saw something wrong and I backup the working configuration but I don't remember every step in particular

The AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext is not required for the VoodooPS2Controller.kext, if that's what you are using.

Both of the DSDT.aml in the folder that you uploaded are exactly the same and both contain the B1B2 Method required for the new AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext, all other battery kexts must be removed from the system. Also, the AppleACPIPlatform.kext 1.3.5 roll back is unnecessary and you can revert back to the current Lion's AppleACPIPlatform.kext 1.4.

I highly doubt that the sleep functions differently in your system than the rest of us unless you are not using the VoodooPS2Controller.kext which might be interfering with the proper sleep functionality in our rigs.

well I've tried your smbios and then systeminfo show me incorrect information and when I close the screen (the lid? sorry for my english) my sleep didn't work , with my smbios and your or mine org.chameleonetc etc the sleep works again....and the system info are corrects...see the pictures: the frequency of bus and cpu are incorrect with your and correct with mine so I think macbook pro 5,3 it's better than 5,1....I'm not an expert but seems clear the difference

I think it's real interesting this topic, and thank you for your answers...I think you can explain to me some things, the first question is: after reading your org.chameleon I've seen that it start with

<string>Yes</string>

this is to obtain c-state? are C-state now working on m1530? and if the answer is not why do you use it? there is some benefit the same?

There is no real difference as your smbios.plist dictates the processor speed read out via the SMmaximalclock=2200 string, mine does not. To properly test system's model identifier, remove everything unnecessary from the smbios.plist including the memory information which is correctly detected and provided via the Chameleon itself.

CSTUsingSystemIO=Yes flag uses SystemIO registers instead of FixedHW which is a different way to Generate the C-States.

<string>Yes</string>

raimdal, thank you for confirming that my smbios is faulty. I will try your files and report back on whether sleep (from Apple menu, and clamshell mode) works properly for me. The only differences with your system and mine (not mine, actually) are the clock speed (mine is slower but I can edit the SMmaximalclock) and wifi (I have BCM94322MC).

Without a serial number in your smibos, does iCould work for you? Could someone post an unpatched AppleRTC?

Dear professor DarwinX :) to be clear

First of all I've simply forgotten to upload also the voodoops2...

second, I've never said that the sleep function depend on voodoops2, why do you said it?All the argumentation on sleep depending on a kext used for the keyboard it's a your speculation, not mine. Are you ironic?hohoho what a nice guy...

I've supposed clearly that depend from a correct smbios because with mbp5,1 I've lost sleep and after my coming back to mbp5,3 , from the first reboot, I had it again. And I don't think it depends on shown information, because also modding mbp5,1 with right information I obtein only a cosmetic solution but not the sleep....the empiric solution is that different model is the difference.

but I am onest, the first time I forgotten to mod your...sorry, was 3:00 a.m. I was tired...but when I did it it's the same: no sleep. Sorry for my first error again but it's not important if the question is the sleep function .

So I suppose that you have not tried mine ...It's correct? ;)

my system works correctly with that smbios and not correctly with mbp5,1 this is a fact...

About the DSDT I told you and I tell you again that are not mine and were presented in two different posts, from different people and for different problems....If you say that they are the same i believe to you...but again: I've said that are mine? or that I've studied them? it's a your speculation, again...

Could be the new battery kext made the difference and not the DSDT...I don't know and I don't care...It's important the lower temperature for my cpu.

however I don't like your way to approach to me considering that I've simply given an answer at the question if someone has sleep working...the answer is yes, I have it and I gently give you my configuration because I think , obviously, it's thanks to my configuration that I have the sleep function and not thanks to the sun of Italy (and when I say "my" I don't want to say that I've created the dsdt or the kexts but only that I've tested them in different combinations...ok?)

Again about the the sleep With this smbios plist, I repeat to people that want to try before to speack, that I have it working from Apple menù and also putting down the screen...you say it's not for my smbios plist or my kexts? can be....can be my notebook loves me or is the sun of Italy...but irony a part, I've simply given an answer at the question, do what you want, mine it's working (ehehehhe)

However In my Country people say thank you when someone try to give an help...

I asked an answer but also made a question, a precise question:

it's now possible obtain the C-state on m1530? before was impossible because of Dell bios...so I want to know if changing the metod you have it or you have the error on c-state on your verbose boot. If you have the error (like I suppose) why do you use this option? without reason or you have different benefits?

For Whanna Hack, I hope this smbios is working for you and yes, obviously you have to change SMmaximalclock in accord with your CPU.

about the serial and iCloud...Sorry, I don't know ...I've never used iCloud ...

about the wireless now I've bcm94311 working out of the box...and I've chosen this wireless card also because I was tired to try and try also for a damned connection..I've spent 10 euros and sometime spent some money it's better that became crazy modding id trying to create a driver etc etc...

I wanna tell again that for me the smbios in combination with the acpi kexts it's not secondary....I've tried many smbios.plist and changed a lot of values inside...for example an interesting thing is that setting mbp4,1 in ioregistry explorer appears a value for the GPU 0x0 but disappear cpu 0x0...Could be that the mbp4,1 it's near to our gpu scaling but the native speed step for the cpu doesn't work...In the past, some people was interested in duplicate the state from one model to another and obtain the native scaling for cpu and gpu togheter. I don't remember If the kext related was acpiplatformplugin or another but if you search you will find old topic in wich some people tried to do this (was insanelymac or osx86 or some other notorius site)...It's passed about two years and now I don't want spent more time on my hack because it does what it's necessary and do it well...but if you have time to spent try also this way. But in this case I suggest to you to clone your system with all the programs installed on usb HD so if you have problems you can resolve without become crazy.

put it in .zip or upload to a diferent site. with link

darwinx. the likely reason for the 120% is with the SX42 and SX12 is the return to SMIX. seems we have already 8 or 16 bit (not sure of the bits but its not declared as standard acpi . hidden away in SX42)

slice had the formula for the SX## entries in dell (has to do with SMI and the way it uses varibles)

Method (SX42, 0, NotSerialized)
   {
    Store (SXX2, Local0)
    Add (Local0, 0x04, Local0)
    If (LLessEqual (Local0, SizeOf (SXX0)))
    {
	    CreateDWordField (SXX0, SXX2, SX22)
	    Store (Local0, SXX2)
	    Return (SX22)
    }
    Return (Zero)
   }

oh im no super hackintosher.. just a lil more into little details.

is that lion? nice i think the m1330 and inspiron 1520 have minor issues.

is your RTC 2 parts or only one ? (original 2parts or moded 1 with 0x70 no 0x72)

what chameleon svn u using ?

after sleep when u restart dell screen takes long ( normal)

To be onest you are the queen of the forum without doubt.

Well, my english is not the best so I sometime don't understand somethings, in fact When you speak about RTC in one or two parts I don't understand, are you speaking about AppleRTC.kext? If not where i find the information you want? explain in detail and I will verify

yes it is lion 10.7.2, the m1530 was the red product but I don't liked that red so I painted all black the cover but it's that model

chameleon svn 1700 in the post on page 51 I've upload also screenshot of my configuration on chameleon panel

After sleep the restart takes a long time? (is this the question?)...It don't seems to me a long time