Getting Snow Leopard to recognize your CPU

DigitalDJ

227 posts in this topic

Ok so I was a little sloppy and installed the CPUInjector.kext without first reading the entire post, so I didn't modify the info.plist. My processor then showed as a 2 ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon.

I now tried modifying the info.plist and changed it to AQM= and installed it again, but it still says Xeon.

Am I supposed to remove something before I re-install the modified version?

I'm new at these Hackintosh stuff.

Thanks.

Ok so I was a little sloppy and installed the CPUInjector.kext without first reading the entire post, so I didn't modify the info.plist. My processor then showed as a 2 ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon.

I now tried modifying the info.plist and changed it to AQM= and installed it again, but it still says Xeon.

Am I supposed to remove something before I re-install the modified version?

I'm new at these Hackintosh stuff.

Thanks.

If you go to the Extension folder and remove The CPUInjection or delete it then modify the info.plist to whatever you want and then reinstall it, and you will get what you want.

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, not overclocked or anything, running on a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R - I've installed the new bootloader and it doesn't detect my CPU, still displays as unknown.

I checked my com.apple.Boot.plist file and there's no key for the default smbios setting, so it can't be that. The only thing I've done is set my bus speed and memory speed and trpe in smbios.plist.

Can anyone shed any light on why I may be getting this issue?

I have a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700, not overclocked or anything, running on a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R - I've installed the new bootloader and it doesn't detect my CPU, still displays as unknown.

I checked my com.apple.Boot.plist file and there's no key for the default smbios setting, so it can't be that. The only thing I've done is set my bus speed and memory speed and trpe in smbios.plist.

Can anyone shed any light on why I may be getting this issue?

Read the original post. Manually set your cpu type via smbios.plist keys.

Read the original post. Manually set your cpu type via smbios.plist keys.

Hi DigitalDJ, the new boot works great, it fixed my cpu type and speed nicely but the uuid is still doesn't match my start up drive's uuid, now how do i fix that, Please go easy on me, I am new to this stuff. Thanks.

Hi,

Inserting

<key>cpu-type</key>

<data>AQU=</data>

<key>interconnect-speed</key>

<data>gA6kXQEAAAA=</data>

in your injector have solved my old problem with system profiler

now the cpu shows:

Processor Name: Single-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.47 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 2

which is absolutely correct

Ok with modified BOOT from netkas site removed the kext

i don't have smbios.plist anywhere to edit

i have it on my leo install but not on snow leo????

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as currently my about this mac shows 3.1ghz unknown and 4gb sdram :)

Great work DigitalDJ btw :P

You need to use Show all file application to show hidden file or use Terminal command.

Open terminal and type these commands:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To hide the files again hen you are finished just go back into Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

You need to use Show all file application to show hidden file or use Terminal command.

Open terminal and type these commands:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To hide the files again hen you are finished just go back into Terminal and type:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Cheers for that. I did wonder why i couldn't find it

I'll give it a go in a bit ;)

EDIT: show all files didn't uncover smbios.plist so i ended up using the kext

Cheers for that. I did wonder why i couldn't find it

I'll give it a go in a bit :D

EDIT: show all files didn't uncover smbios.plist so i ended up using the kext

After show all file then it should be under volume/extra/smbios

• 2 weeks later...

Someone please help me (see attached screenshot)

- sysctl shows my cpu correctly: Core 2 Duo E8400

- iStat shows 2 cores are working

- System Profiler shows Intel Core 2 Solo with 1 core

- Cpu-X shows Core 2 Duo E8400 with ONE core.

I have tried many solutions: smbios editing, CPUInjector - no go.

I got PC_EFI 10.5 (tried the boot file from chameleon 2rc3 aswell).

Anyone? ;)

Screenshot:

cpur.jpg

Hey everybody,

I'm really new to all this, been trying for the last couple of weeks to install Leopard on my toshiba. I've finally managed it, everything works fine except for wifi (intel wireless 3945 abg -kind of losing hope on that one). When trying to download some lessons for GarageBand I had a problem since it says that content could not be available without a dual core processor.

When I check on windows xp with CPUZ I get this:

Intel Core Duo T2050 @ 1.60 GHz

Instructs MMX,SSE, SSE2, SSE3

2 Cores

DDR2 RAM 2560 MB

When I check on "About this Mac" I get:

Mac

MacbookPro 4.1

Genuine Intel CPU T2050 @ 1.60 GHz

And on "System Profiler":

Processor Intel Core Duo

Total Number of Cores : 1

How do I fix this?

Thanks for your help!

Good afternoon to all thread members and gurus, I was trying to read the whole thread to find a reply to the question, but nothing clear was said:

What is the difference between the CPU scopes in all DSDT.aml found? Mine originally had zeros...

Processor (\_PR.CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000000, 0x00) {} etc.
and
Processor (\_PR.CPU0, 0x00, 0x00000410, 0x06) {} etc.

Some have 0410 and others 0810. Are they copied from dumps from original Macs?

What is served if I place the numbers instead of zero's? I have a Q9550 processor. Are these CPU-model-related?

(made a successful DSDT.aml for my Shuttle XPC SG31G2 that runs x64 and sleeps well, no SleepEnabler or NullCPUManagement needed for current 10.6.1)

Thanks in advance.

It's probably blasphemy to say that I used Rebel EFI to install Snow Leopard because their code is stolen from this forum. My justification is that Psystar figured out how to turn all of this into a simple one-click install, so I'm paying them to save me time.

I only bought parts that they have certified, so everything works perfectly out of the box... except my Core i7-920 is "unknown". After reading through this thread, I am very confused how to fix this. I tried putting the CPUInjector in System > Library > Extensions and restarting, but that didn't do anything.

Is there anyone who can come up with instructions a complete n00b can understand?

This didn't work for me when loaded from the EFI partition (I've got a Q9550 and left the cpu-type string at default).

The same here. My Q9550 is also still shown as default cpu-string, so it's not working for me as well.

But this is just "nice-to-have", right? The speed, number of processors/cores are correct recognized so I guess this is not impacting the performance at all.

Regards,

Angy

I had a problem with E7400 being recognized as core 2 solo (should be duo), this was fixed by BIOS setting "Max CPUID value limit" - which has to be disabled - then CPU is correctly recognized. Nothing, PC EFI 10.5, SMbios etc would get the right thing to display with that setting enabled.

This is probably obvious if you know what that setting does, but I didn't and I had to try every setting imaginible to install iPC on my board. Hope this might help someone with a misidentified CPU.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Now that Apple sells core i7 imacs, 10.6.2 might be able to recognize a core i7.

Does somebody knows the SMcputype for a core i7 ?

I am also quite curious about this topic. I have currently my smbios.plist which injects a MacPro4,1 as model type, and using Chameleon 2.0 RC4, my Core i7 920 CPU is seen as Quad Core Xeon, which I guess is normal. But... as i7 based iMacs are running 10.6.2, the "ressources" to display i7 as i7 must be here without any special hack no?

The question is, if I don't specify any SMcputype, and modify my smbios.plist to inject iMac10,1 as model name (which is the 27" model name) and a valid boot ROM version (which I don't have at the moment), will my CPU appear as a Core i7 in the system profiler ?

I am also quite curious about this topic. I have currently my smbios.plist which injects a MacPro4,1 as model type, and using Chameleon 2.0 RC4, my Core i7 920 CPU is seen as Quad Core Xeon, which I guess is normal. But... as i7 based iMacs are running 10.6.2, the "ressources" to display i7 as i7 must be here without any special hack no?

The question is, if I don't specify any SMcputype, and modify my smbios.plist to inject iMac10,1 as model name (which is the 27" model name) and a valid boot ROM version (which I don't have at the moment), will my CPU appear as a Core i7 in the system profiler ?

Interesting,

did you try, to see if it's working ?