Getting Snow Leopard to recognize your CPU

DigitalDJ

227 posts in this topic

Ok. I get some stuff. First of all, this is what System Profiler outputs on a real iMac 27" with a Core i7 inside (French Mac OS version, but I think it is clear enough, even for non-french speakers):

Informations matériel :

Nom du modèle : iMac

Identifiant du modèle : iMac11,1

Nom du processeur : Intel Core i7

Vitesse du processeur : 2,8 GHz

Nombre de processeurs : 1

Nombre total de cœurs : 4

Cache de niveau 2 (par cœur) : 256 Ko

Cache de niveau 3 : 8 Mo

Mémoire : 4 Go

Vitesse d’interconnexion du processeur : 4.8 GT/s

Version de la ROM de démarrage : IM111.0034.B00

Version SMC (système) : 1.54f33

Numéro de série (système) : W89-----5RU

UUID du matériel : XXXXXXXXX

(Serial halfy masked and UUID intentionnaly replaced)

My experiments (and results)

First of all, a short summary of my config:

• MB: Asus Rampage II Extreme
  • CPU: Core i7 920
  • Mac OS X 10.6.2
  • Bootloader: Chameleon 2.0 RC4
  • fakesmc 2.5

My com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist are attached.

What I also did is using plist property editor to change the SMC version to 1.54f33 like above, and patching my DSDT.dsl like following:

DefinitionBlock ("./dsdt.aml", "DSDT", 1, "APPLE", "iMac", 0x00110001)

and

Scope (_PR)
{
	Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
	Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000410, 0x06) {}
}

Even with all these modifications, I still get a Quad Xeon as CPU type:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.67 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 533 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.800

SMC Version (system): 1.54f33

Serial Number (system): G89-----SRU

Hardware UUID: XXXXX

So what I am thinking now, is that

• either Chameleon/fakesmc CPU detection algorithm is injecting the CPUType automatically and, of course the value of 1281 is used, which means Xeon
  • or OSX outputs i7 only when connected to a Socket 1156, which is not my case (1366, like the xeons of mac pro)

I would definitly go for the first option, but as I did not have (yet) looked in the fakesmc and Chameleon source code, I cannot be 100% sure on this one.

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

smbios.plist.zip

First off, it's working great. Thanks for a job well done.

But, I'm wondering if I could get my Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) reported properly. What number would I use? Core Duos were used in at least the first Intel Mac Mini (I actually own one, so if you need me to check something on that computer to determine how to properly report Core Duo processors, I would be glad to)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Im a bit curios about this problem:

I have Snow Leopard installed. and currently the PC-EFI bootloader. My CPU has been detected right away without any patching and sutch (intel 2 core duo) but the CPU speed is wrong (2.46 -> should be 2.53)

Did a Benchmark with cinebench and with SL i get 5080 multicpu-points in Leopard(iAtkos) i get 5550 (In leopard the CPU was reconized right out of the box)

Get the same results in x86_64 and i386

I tried already following:

- Installed diffrent bootloaders (PC-EFI 10.5, Chameleon RC4, Patched Chameleon)

- Edited the smbios.plist (just overrides tech infos, cpu is not faster)

- Tried the CPU-Inject.kext

- Made a dtsd with the dsdt-patcher-gui (didnt edited myself, cause i dont know how at the moment)

Has anybody a clue what could help (createing manually a dsdt? wait for a new bootloader?)

Thx

SPECS: Intel 2 Core Duo T9400

In my last project with an i5 750 (the one you have inside the iMac)m my CPU is detected as a Xeon wich is not a real problem but i noticed something weird.

In iStats and Photoshop i have only 3 gigs ram adressed even if the system profiler shows 4 gigs....

2 different machines built and 2 get the same problem ... any idea ?

I wonder if changing the processor type will solve the problem, basically a Mac Pro got a 1356 (X58) chipset where the RAM works 3gigs by 3gigs on both of the systems i made (P55 and P45) since the processors is seen as a Mac Pro porocessor theres may be a connection between the ram problem and the processor detection.

Sorry if my english was not crystal clear ....

Thx

In my last project with an i5 750 (the one you have inside the iMac)m my CPU is detected as a Xeon wich is not a real problem but i noticed something weird.

In iStats and Photoshop i have only 3 gigs ram adressed even if the system profiler shows 4 gigs....

I wonder if changing the processor type will solve the problem, basically a Mac Pro got a 1356 (X58) chipset where the RAM works 3gigs by 3gigs on both of the systems i made (P55 and P45) since the processors is seen as a Mac Pro porocessor theres may be a connection between the ram problem and the processor detection.

Thx

Well if you're on a 32-bit Snow Leopard / running 32-bit applications, 3 gigs of ram is the maximum that is recognized by the system... i think. Since you are on an Intel-Snow you can make Snow 100% 64-bit by adding arch=x86_64 to the Kernel Flags somewhere in the kernel. I've never done this (I'm on an AMD) and I'm not sure if Photoshop runs as 32-bit, but 3 GB sounds like "32-bit" alot.

cheers Jannes

Thx

I have the same problem with my I7 920. It also shows Xeon. And I have 6 GB installed, but istat and the boot process shows 4GB. But "about this mac" shows 6GB.

Somebody knows a solution?

Thx

• 3 weeks later...

Tried both the KEXT and SMBios and still get "Unknown" in the "About my Mac" and also Garage Band won't let me play the learn stuff. (Running an i5 650). I just upgraded to 10.6.2 but have to run an older Qoopz kernel, for some reason all the other kernels I've tried reboot-loop (but that's a separate issue.)

Using Chameleon RC4 684 and its boot (not netkas' pc_efi). Have tried both kext/smbios.plist at same time, and each individually.

Any idea why Snow Leopard is not "runing" when I have both cores enabled?

with "running" i mean the system actually boot, but its really glitched and slow, also the "About this Mac" shows my Procesor info correctly, only the MHZ info is wrong.

Ironically the system runs ok and almost "smooth" when I disable "dual core" mode in the bios, but then the system will run only with 1 core =/

When I do this the "About this Mac" shows my procesor as "unkown"

• 2 weeks later...

bonjour hy everyone y have a problem on my hp dv6-2130ef intel i5-430m wen i will install osx86 ipc 10.5.6 leohazard 10.6.2

when the apple logo com the system reboot only ideneb v1.1 work but y will install snow leopard pleas help me thanks...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HI guys,

I have finally managed to get my Dual Xeon running 10.6.3 perfectly..

8 cores and 16 simultaneous Threads.. is awesome

Running 2 x W5580 Xeons on a Supermicro X8DAi Mobo.

Both Lan work and were both automatically recognized by SL.

I installed my PC EFI 10.6 to a small USB stick with the necessery Kexts that way my Installation is Pure Vanilla.

I only installed one Kext to HDD (Audio) even the NVEnablers for my GTX285 (was a pain in the A**) are on the usb Stick. Screen shot as proof attached.

I can warmly recommend these Supermicro Boards, no hassle works great.

Hmm, so now this is done I need a new project :(

post-428454-1272282687_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...