Asus P6T SE Retail Snow Leopard Installation Guide [FLASHDRIVE] [UPDATED JUN. 28]]

tweak41

1,279 posts in this topic

FOR SLEEP PROBLEMS

I had scheduled sleep working fine until 10.6.3. At some point it stopped working and i found a software based solution.

FIRST OF ALL: Make sure that your bios suspend option is S3 ONLY!!!!!!

1)Open system preferences -> energy saver and click on Restore Defaults. Close it and open it again. Set you desired time for computer and display sleep. Select "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" - "Allow power button to put computer to sleep" - "Start up automatically after a power failure". DO NOT SELECT "Wake for ethernet network access"

2)Open terminal and type:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

3)Download the PleaseSleep utility from here

Configure it as you wish and voila...Auto sleep works again just fine ;)

Does anyone know how to triple boot Windows 7, Snow Leopard, and Ubuntu 10.04 on the same hard drive? I know it's asking for a lot, but I would really like to know out of curiosity. I seem to have forgotten how I did the dual boot for Windows and Snow Leopard, and that's really my main priority.

My suggestion would be to boot from another drive (i.e. SD, CF, Thumbstick). That way you could install the 3 OSes on 3 Partitions on the drive and then use the external booter to point at which partition you'd like to boot. *Shrug*

My suggestion would be to boot from another drive (i.e. SD, CF, Thumbstick). That way you could install the 3 OSes on 3 Partitions on the drive and then use the external booter to point at which partition you'd like to boot. *Shrug*

I understand that. That's what I had done before, booted chameleon off of a flash drive. But when I tried to do the same thing, it said you couldn't install windows on it, due to the partition being in the GPT style. Window can only boot off of MBR, and thus my problem of only using one drive.

FOR SLEEP PROBLEMS

I had scheduled sleep working fine until 10.6.3. At some point it stopped working and i found a software based solution.

FIRST OF ALL: Make sure that your bios suspend option is S3 ONLY!!!!!!

1)Open system preferences -> energy saver and click on Restore Defaults. Close it and open it again. Set you desired time for computer and display sleep. Select "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" - "Allow power button to put computer to sleep" - "Start up automatically after a power failure". DO NOT SELECT "Wake for ethernet network access"

2)Open terminal and type:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

3)Download the PleaseSleep utility from here

Configure it as you wish and voila...Auto sleep works again just fine :D

Thanks a lot, it's working now.

Is anyone else having USB/Firewire mounting issues I mentioned before?

Thanks a lot, it's working now.

Is anyone else having USB/Firewire mounting issues I mentioned before?

Firewire issues are known with this mobo and described in older posts in this thread. There are not any usb issues as far as i know . I have 4 external usb hd, an EMU usb soundcard and also one M-audio usb soundcard. I also use several usb flash drives, an epson printer, usb keyboard and mouse and a logitech usb mac cam. The only problem i have is with the EMU soundcard, sometimes it is not recognized after booting. I have to unplug and plug it in again, but this happens with windows too, it is not a hackintosh issue.

tweak,

I am following your guide exactly and trying to incorporate other people's suggestions for kexts, but I cannot get OS X to install. I am doing the flashdrive method.

My system specs are:

i7 920

p6t se

1TB Samsung HD

12 Gigs Kingston Ram

GeForce 7600 256mb

Is there anything suspect with my video card? Do you have any idea why I wouldn't be able to at least install SL?

Sometimes I get an error message that says that BootCache: hit rate below threshold

tweak,

I am following your guide exactly and trying to incorporate other people's suggestions for kexts, but I cannot get OS X to install. I am doing the flashdrive method.

What version of the installation disk are you using?

What version of the installation disk are you using?

I am using the 10.6 disk. I was actually able to install SL. I tried using NVinject.kext. that may have helped. I also edited some of the boot files like you discuss in the 10.62 update tutorial. I was able to install SL and update 10.64. Problem is that I can only boot in safe mode. I am booting from a USB stick. Why would it only boot in safe mode but not just a regular boot?

I am using the 10.6 disk. I was actually able to install SL. I tried using NVinject.kext. that may have helped. I also edited some of the boot files like you discuss in the 10.62 update tutorial. I was able to install SL and update 10.64. Problem is that I can only boot in safe mode. I am booting from a USB stick. Why would it only boot in safe mode but not just a regular boot?

ok, i got the boot without safe mode, but now there is no sound with the update 10.6.4. I guess this is a common problem. HOw have people solved this?

Tweak, thanks for all the help! My system now runs flawlessly for 10.6.0. Video card works great. Quartz is up and running. Sound is good.

However, when I tried to update to 10.6.4, my video card stopped being recognized by the OS. It is labeled as GPU in the system profiler. Currently, my GeForce 7600 runs perfect without the use of EFI Strings or injections such as NVinject. It runs on the "internal" driver. My os is completely vanilla. No special kexts or anything.

What do you reckon I should do to restore video functionality in version 6.4? Is there other info you need?

in the p6t se essentials.zip there is a folder called "ready" (in \p6t se essentials\script files) with 3 files. move the files to the folder above (where also the smbios2.plist is) and run the boot prep-script again - worked for me

Am having similar issue. System: p6tse i7 930, 2gb ram(4start)

Anyway to solve this without a Mac?

Tweak, thanks for all the help! My system now runs flawlessly for 10.6.0. Video card works great. Quartz is up and running. Sound is good.

However, when I tried to update to 10.6.4, my video card stopped being recognized by the OS. It is labeled as GPU in the system profiler. Currently, my GeForce 7600 runs perfect without the use of EFI Strings or injections such as NVinject. It runs on the "internal" driver. My os is completely vanilla. No special kexts or anything.

What do you reckon I should do to restore video functionality in version 6.4? Is there other info you need?

Ok, problem solved. Just bought a new graphics card. Got a good deal on a gts 250 from newegg. Boots sl with no special kexts or efi strings or anything. It also plays crysis on ultra high.

I am a happy nerd...

So...I have a question. Again. After not having run SL on my pc for a while, I really want to so I can learn objective C for iPhone apps. Problem is, I also want to keep my windows installation when i reinstall through dual-booting on the same drive. What I was thinking was to make a complete image of my Windows drive, so that all the data stays intact. Will it still restore the image? Also, what should I do exactly to dual boot on the same drive? I haven't tried any of these suggestions here, but I would really like a complete explanation. Sorry if this sounds kind of stupid, but I really don't want any more problems.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I have a kernel panic every time I try and boot OS X after updating from 10.6.0 to 10.6.4. I'm pretty sure that my boot.plist and smbios.plist are correctly edited. I'm using pc efi 10 v6, no idea what dsdt. Can someone post a complete package of everything I need to be able to boot into os x correctly after this update? If not, I'll just try and reinstall from the beginning, no use in worrying about it for too long.

Guys the first time i boot my hack on the morning like 8am it boots but after a minute or so all coolers go to max speed and my screen turns black

After a reboot everything is fine....

Any ideas?

@paravorheim

can you post a pic of the kp? and your smbios.plist and com.apple.boot.plist

When I updated from 10.6 to 10.6.4, I downloaded it, and it installed, but when it asked me to reboot, I let it, since I already made the flash drive, it had a kernel panic while finishing installing the update. So, I turned my computer off, then turned it back on, and when I tried to boot into it using my bootable flash drive, it gave me this screen (attachments, JPG.). I'm including the contents of my bootable flash drive as well.

Specs:

p6t se

ati radeon hd 4850

core i7 920

wd caviar black 640gb

6gb OCZ 1600 DDR3

Samsung sata dvd drive

Thanks

post-515702-1279145338_thumb.jpg

Archive.zip

1st remove extensions.mkext from /extra folder

2nd remove AppleHDA.kext and openhaltrestart.kext from /Extra/Extensions

3rd remove those uuid smuuid from com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist and remove the smbiosdefault from boot plist

4th reboot with -v -f and if it dont work post it back

just 3 quick question:

1) from what read on the past post i understand that firewire on this mb doesn't work....is that correct?

2) reading in the forum i understand that if i want to use firewire i have to buy an ad-on card with texas instrument....my question is....i can choose a firewire 400 or i can use only a firewire 800 (like the one on mac)? Is it possible to use a ad on card with 2 firewire 800 port and 2 firewire 400 port on the same card?

3) the chipset must to be texas intrument....but is the same to buy a pci or a pci-express card for compatibility?

Thx

3rd remove those uuid smuuid from com.apple.boot.plist and smbios.plist and remove the smbiosdefault from boot plist

When you say to remove extensions.mkext, will I be remake this using kext utility?

What do you mean by removing the uuid and smuuid and smbiosdefault? To literally remove the entire string?

Thanks, I'll try it when I get home later today.

I did what you said, or at least what I think you said, and believe it or not, it booted up! Problem is, sound doesn't work, display is at 1024x768 when it should be at 1920x1080, and I don't believe qe/ci is working. Here is a screenshot of the desktop itself, the info on the graphics, and my smbios and boot.plist.

Thanks,

Para Vorheim

Archive.zip

post-515702-1279235698_thumb.jpg

post-515702-1279235830_thumb.jpg