GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

Does your GFX worked fine using only strings or GraphicsEnabler + PciRoot into com.apple.boot.plist?

Cheers,

bb.

Its funny bb

Im going to post my estranged scenario tomorrow, but I installed my nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX 1GB DVI/DVI with the efi injector in OSX86Tools. At the same time I added the keys and strings (GraphicsEnabler/Yes & PCI root/1) to my com.apple.boot.plist

So Im thinking I used both and Im still using both.

Ill post my process tomorrow.

Thanks

The installer is saying it cannot find files in /System/Library/StartupItems It also says root filesystem is read only; skipping kernel link data generation

Heres some images: http://cl.ly/84c7522f8262268064bd

Hi mate.

Let me ask you something, are you using your latest BIOS available from Gigabyte?

If not, please, update it and recheck the options from your BIOS because the update will reset it to default.

Then, be sure that your HPET option is enabled. Looks like something in HPET is not allowing you to go to install screen.

Cheers,

bb.

I looked at the BIOS and it says it is F9 which is the newest version.

Huuummm...

I really don't understand why you're getting this message if everything is correct...

I believe it can be something related to your DVD drive too, because JMicronATA is saying that your device is unknown... but I'm not sure about that...

thats what i was thinking too. i think ill go out and buy a internal cd drive. I dont know if this helps, but i booted up using the vendant cd and it said it couldnt load extension com.apple.dsmos and com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID

thats what i was thinking too. i think ill go out and buy a internal cd drive. I dont know if this helps, but i booted up using the vendant cd and it said it couldnt load extension com.apple.dsmos and com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID

By now, it's the only thing that occurs me, because of the messages presented on the screen and this is the only difference between your config from the others users.

Let me ask you to put your specs in signature, so we can have more detailed info on your hardware what make help briefer. ;)

Don't you have anybody from who you can borrow an DVD Internal drive? Before you go out and spent money in one of this...

I know it's not that expensive, but before jumping to conclusions, it would be better to do a test...

Cheers,

bb.

The installer is saying it cannot find files in /System/Library/StartupItems It also says root filesystem is read only; skipping kernel link data generation

Heres some images: http://cl.ly/84c7522f8262268064bd

The /System/Library/StartupItems directory is reserved for startup items that ship with Mac OS X. This directory does not exist by default and may need to be created during installation of the startup item......so perhaps the installer could not create the directory........did you set the target OS X HDD volume ownership before attempting to install OS X......?

If not, then

1. Right-click on the target OS X HDD volume icon on your Desktop -> Get Info. If the checkbox next to "Ignore ownership on this volume" is checked then click on padlock symbol to authenticate and UNCHECK the checkbox.

2. In Terminal, type:

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

The /System/Library/StartupItems directory is reserved for startup items that ship with Mac OS X. This directory does not exist by default and may need to be created during installation of the startup item......so perhaps the installer could not create the directory........did you set the target OS X HDD volume ownership before attempting to installi OS X......?

If not, then

1. Right-click on the target OS X HDD volume icon on your Desktop -> Get Info. If the checkbox next to "Ignore ownership on this volume" is checked then click on padlock symbol to authenticate and UNCHECK the checkbox.

2. In Terminal, type:

sudo chown 0:0 /Volumes/"your target OS X HDD volume name"

Well, if this solves the problem, is the first time I see this issue around here. :D

Nice to know that.

Cheers,

bb.

Changing the ownership did not change anything. I have a cd drive and i just need to install it.

I got the cd drive hooked up, but i dont have enough cables right now so i cant have my hard drive running at the same time. I am getting EBOIS read errors. I looked them up and it seems like I need to burn my disk slower, so i burnt it to 8x and i still get the ebios read errors. However, I can still boot and I still get "couldnt load extension com.apple.dsmos" and com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID and HPET errors.

Since all these errors stem off of the cd drive, could anyone recommend a guide/method that does not use a cd.

Thanks for all the help.

Changing the ownership did not change anything. I have a cd drive and i just need to install it.

I got the cd drive hooked up, but i dont have enough cables right now so i cant have my hard drive running at the same time. I am getting EBOIS read errors. I looked them up and it seems like I need to burn my disk slower, so i burnt it to 8x and i still get the ebios read errors. However, I can still boot and I still get "couldnt load extension com.apple.dsmos" and com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID and HPET errors.

Since all these errors stem off of the cd drive, could anyone recommend a guide/method that does not use a cd.

Thanks for all the help.

My GA-EP45-UD3L_Boot132DVD_V2 is meant to be burnt to a DVD rather than a CD.........using a DVD you get no EBIOS read errors.........also you should burn at speeds of ≤ 4..........however, if your drive is not a DVDRW, then you can use a USB method..........suggest you have a look here........

I had trouble making my nVidia 9800 GTX 1gb graphics card work after I installed catris bios. (which have made my system boot and run smoother than ever)

I am a rookie at this and along the way had too many unnecessary kext files, probably 8 boot loaders installed at the same time, and most likely efi injected the same device over 15 times. I wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything. After googling and reformatting countless times, bb, catri, and many others Im forgetting... got me running on a mac pro with one kext file. Thank you.

So after following the directions on page 1 and through trial and error, I managed to get chameleon V2 RC4 bootloader working on osx 10.6.3 with all my devices running properly. I then proceeded to install catris bios (his install pdf guide was very easy). Catris bios solution worked and I managed to boot my system with his bios. My Graphics card was the only device that was not working. These are the steps I took to get my card to work:

1: follow steps on page one of this thread and get osx installed and chameleon boot loader working.

2. Save to drive with time machine

3. Install Catris bios If your 9800GTX is working ok, then your good...if not....Read on

4. Do a fresh install by booting with Chameleon RC3 CD. I didnt change my boot order in the bios menu...I just pressed F12 from the boot screen and chose CD ROM. Fresh Install

5. Once I got osx back on my drive,(my graphics card is not working at this point) e I transferred my time machine back up via migration assistant.

6. I changed my com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
   <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
   <key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

7. Installed chameleon RC3 bootloader and erase all kext except for fakesmc.kext

8. Used OSX86 Tools to inject GFX EFI with the custom nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX 1GB DVI/DVI

9. Reboot and All things working, but Im still in osx 10.6

10. update to 10.6.1 (NO COMBINED UPDATE THROUGH MY WHOLE PROCESS)

11. update to 10.6.2 (I had to insert my retail disc and repair permissions in order to boot again after this update)

12. update to 10.6.3 restart and install netkas efi injector and chameleon RC4

13. all is working on one kext

I get 4 ebios read errors just about every time before the chameleon boot screen.....not complaining

Every time I hang up on the Updating DMI pool data.... screen, I insert the retail disk/ repair permissions/ and reboot.

Sometimes it takes my machine about ten minutes to boot..... I had to be patient, but NOW it boots up quick with Chameleon RC4 and all my devices are working great.

I use:

CS4

Final Cut

Cinema 4D

Net Render

ZBrush

@bb the fresh install after catris bios was beneficial to me. Thanks for all your help.....again

Peace

@bb the fresh install after catris bios was beneficial to me. Thanks for all your help.....again

Peace

You're welcome mate.

Everybody that comes here to ask for help is welcome. Once, back in 2008 I was at same situation. Eager to start installing OS X to my rig and that was when I found people like Mysticus C, verdant, muitommy and many other bros who helped me a lot and still helps.

It's nice to know that your experience can help others now. This guide is meant to help, but sometimes, even using same exact hardware, things can go a lot different, that's why this forum is all about, the exchange of experience.

When the subject comes to Cartri BIOS Mac Edition - wich is the real stuff for Gigabyte boards - it's crucial to use Chameleon 2 RC4 as the boot loader. All his studies on this BIOS is using RC4 as reference.

I hope our mate tastyfrog soon can join us in the hacintoshers team.

Cheers,

bb.

When the subject comes to Cartri BIOS Mac Edition - wich is the real stuff for Gigabyte boards - it's crucial to use Chameleon 2 RC4 as the boot loader. All his studies on this BIOS is using RC4 as reference.

Cheers,

bb.

bb

I bricked my mobo moving my office to the basement. Anyways, I got a new one and installed cartris bios right away and booted right up.......only my ethernet port is not working.

do you have any suggestions?

other than the internet....everything is the same and working.

Cheers

**EDIT** Scratch that bb. I went into my network preferences and it recognized the connection ALL IS GOOD!

guys you are amazing for this information. Thanks!!

Here is my situation.

1) Installed Snow Leopard Retail to USB using transmac.

2) Cartri's Bios Installed

3) Boot132 cd , choose USB to install

4) Partition sata with Disk Utility (set guid)

5) Install

Install fails at the begining giving me "You must restart your computer" message. Picture attached.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

System:

EP45-UD3l

2.5 gb DDr2

Core 2 Duo E6600

9800GT Zotac

250gb SATA hdd

post-620611-1274875914_thumb.jpg

bb

I bricked my mobo moving my office to the basement. Anyways, I got a new one and installed cartris bios right away and booted right up.......only my ethernet port is not working.

do you have any suggestions?

other than the internet....everything is the same and working.

Cheers

**EDIT** Scratch that bb. I went into my network preferences and it recognized the connection ALL IS GOOD!

Nice to know everything is back to normal.

I have noticed that, using Cartri BIOS, when I enable the option of GreenLan in my BIOS config OS X doesn't see the ethernet port and doesn't connect using it... but, in the other hand, disabling it make everything works fine then. :D

That's what I'd suggest you to check in BIOS and see if this config could be the problem.

Cheers,

bb.

guys you are amazing for this information. Thanks!!

Here is my situation.

1) Installed Snow Leopard Retail to USB using transmac.

2) Cartri's Bios Installed

3) Boot132 cd , choose USB to install

4) Partition sata with Disk Utility (set guid)

5) Install

Install fails at the begining giving me "You must restart your computer" message. Picture attached.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

System:

EP45-UD3l

2.5 gb DDr2

Core 2 Duo E6600

9800GT Zotac

250gb SATA hdd

Hi nopx.

I would suggest you to try the install booting this flags

-v -f arch=i386

So this way you will avoid some minor issues that may occur.

It's a must to check minutely your BIOS config because a little difference in it could avoid a successfull install.

Cheers,

bb.

Does anyone get a message AHCI BIOS not installed when starting up their computer?

Hi frog...

Have you changed your BIOS to AHCI instead of IDE in Integrated Peripherals options?

Cheers,

bb.

thanks for the reply,

I tried that those flags and same problem "setup unable to copy files". Do you think its the usb stick i made with transmac? I checked md5 of the image before writing.

Some more info, my boot cd is this version

boot v5.0132 chameleon v2.0-RC1 r

I've tripple checked bios settings. Thanks for the help.

thanks for the reply,

I tried that those flags and same problem "setup unable to copy files". Do you think its the usb stick i made with transmac? I checked md5 of the image before writing.

Some more info, my boot cd is this version

boot v5.0132 chameleon v2.0-RC1 r

I've tripple checked bios settings. Thanks for the help.

Hi.

I have some info on success using the USB Stick as the way of install OS X, but I confess I prefer the nice old DVD disk into the drive method. :)

Assuming you have the DMG file of OS X, burn it into a DVD media the slowest as you can. Maybe 2X or at max 4X...

Look for verdant's DVD Boot Disk here in the forum - pages 8-10 I believe - and once again burn it into a DVD media as slow as you can.

Once you done that, go for it and try to install.

Remember to partition HDD target as GPT and Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and use the flags -v -f arch=i386.

I believe it's not necessary, but you can even try using this more extended flag

-v -f arch=i386 cpus=1 maxmem=2048

This flag will only boot one core of you CPU and just 2 Gb of RAM to cause you less trouble, but I don't believe it's quite necessary. ;)

Let me know what happens.

Be sure to have the boot loader Chameleon 2 RC4 to run it nice. ;)

If you use Cartri BIOS this version of the boot loader is a must have. All the codes inside his bios are made based on this version.

Cheers,

bb.

I tried those flags with my current usb and got the attached kernel panic. Does it always say 64 bit mode even with the i386 switch?

Anyway, my friend has a usb stick he created when he install SL on his pc with the same mobo so I'm going to give that a go tonight, just to rule out the image. We'll see what happens.

Thanks.

post-620611-1274892549_thumb.jpg

I tried those flags with my current usb and got the attached kernel panic. Does it always say 64 bit mode even with the i386 switch?

Anyway, my friend has a usb stick he created when he install SL on his pc with the same mobo so I'm going to give that a go tonight, just to rule out the image. We'll see what happens.

Thanks.

Have you checked if HPET mode is in 32 or 64 bits in BIOS?

Could be that...

When we're going to install it for the first time, we have to be sure that it will be a nice install in 32 bits first and then we do the step to achieve 64 bits. :)

Cheers,

bb.

I checked and set it correctly and still same issues. I had my flash stick formatted by my friend but it would not boot his pc, install failed again "can't copy necessary support files" when I use boot132 and load from usb.

I'm going to try testing ram modules and hdd tonight, if that does not work, I'm going to grab a few DL dvd's and give it another try.

We'll see how it turns out.

Bad ram module, thanks BreakingBad+ everyone who helped accumulate all this info, I now have a SL install.

Only problems are no audio and gfx right now, but i just need to do some more searching and reading to figure it out.

Bad ram module, thanks BreakingBad+ everyone who helped accumulate all this info, I now have a SL install.

Only problems are no audio and gfx right now, but i just need to do some more searching and reading to figure it out.

Well, sound is pretty ez to solve.

I´ll post here the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler so you can have all channels of your sound card working fine.

About GFX you may want to give a try in OSX86 Tools or EFI Studio to add strings to com.apple.boot.plist and have a fully working GFX.

Just let me know what your GFX are...

Cheers,

bb.

EDIT - Sound Kexts

Here is the file to enable sound in your mobo.

Click here

Use KextHelper b7 to install this two kexts to your system and voilá. :D