GA-EP45-UD3L Snow Leopard Install Guide v1.0 for Newbies

Gurujee

544 posts in this topic

@bb

Thanks for advice on catris bios.

I TOTALLY RECOMMEND CATRIS BIOS WITH AN EP45 UD3l

I am up and running with 10.6.3 except for my graphics card. I tried efi studio and os86 tools. My screen resolution is all messed up. I did the 16 X 9 bios (which i believe is the correct one for my samsung synch master 2343)

** please have mercy on me, I am rookie..I assume the 16X9 bios is just for catris gui and has nothing to do with my resolution problem**

Anyways, I cant get my nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX (1GB) to work properly..... :rolleyes:

I have used the os86 tools efi injector in the past and it has worked.....

I also have a lot of .kext files in my extra folder now. A whole bunch of Apple.....kexts. Is this ok?

CAN I do a fresh install with catris bios now?

Any suggestions??

God Bless you people

@bb

Thanks for advice on catris bios.

I TOTALLY RECOMMEND CATRIS BIOS WITH AN EP45 UD3l

I am up and running with 10.6.3 except for my graphics card. I tried efi studio and os86 tools. My screen resolution is all messed up. I did the 16 X 9 bios (which i believe is the correct one for my samsung synch master 2343)

** please have mercy on me, I am rookie..I assume the 16X9 bios is just for catris gui and has nothing to do with my resolution problem**

Anyways, I cant get my nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX (1GB) to work properly..... :)

I have used the os86 tools efi injector in the past and it has worked.....

I also have a lot of .kext files in my extra folder now. A whole bunch of Apple.....kexts. Is this ok?

CAN I do a fresh install with catris bios now?

Any suggestions??

God Bless you people

Hi.

Nice to know that you're using cartri BIOS too.

It works really great.

About GFX, I'm facing problems too with it. I own a 9800 GT with 512 Mb but none of the softs OSX86 Tools and EFI Studio have the strings for it. In fact, if you can try using GraphicsEnabler and PciRoot in the com.apple.Boot.plist to see if your GFX behaves nice.

In my case of 9800GT, I already read that I can even use the same strings for 8800GT as they are almost same GFX. My System Profiler is recognizing the GFX as my old 8600GT... I don't know why. I believe it's a bug. If I run LSPCI -nn into Terminal it returns message of GFX as 9800GT, so , system sees something but indicates another. :P

What are the kexts you're using after the Cartri BIOS? You may need just a few.

I see some people saying that are using basically fakesmc.kext and legadyHDA.kext... no need for any other kexts.

Cheers,

bb.

What are the kexts you're using after the Cartri BIOS? You may need just a few.

I see some people saying that are using basically fakesmc.kext and legadyHDA.kext... no need for any other kexts.

Cheers,

bb.

bb

I had about 80, yes 80 kext in my extra folder that I did not put there. I had the "dont steal my mac osx.kext"

in the mixture of a seemingly endless amount. especially when my resolution is so bad :D

I deleted everything but the fakesmc.kext and booted fine (except for the graphics card)

I will try and modify my boot plist and Ill let you know what happens.

Can I do a fresh install with catris bios installed?

Thanks for the reply

Peace

bb

I had about 80, yes 80 kext in my extra folder that I did not put there. I had the "dont steal my mac osx.kext"

in the mixture of a seemingly endless amount. especially when my resolution is so bad :ninja:

I deleted everything but the fakesmc.kext and booted fine (except for the graphics card)

I will try and modify my boot plist and Ill let you know what happens.

Can I do a fresh install with catris bios installed?

Thanks for the reply

Peace

Hi oconnel1.

Yeah, you can do a fresh install with cartri BIOS.

In fact it's not necessary, but if you feel that a fresh install will make your system behave better, go for it.

The procedure still the same if you're using the Gigabyte original BIOS. :P

Remember to try the GraphicsEnabler in com.apple.boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>

If you use this option, delete the strings for it.

If you're going to use strings, you can delete this option. :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers,

bb.

hello. Im trying to get Snow Leopard installed. However, I whenever I boot from cd it loads up then the screen goes black and stays there. I am using a usb-cddrive. any suggestions?

tastyFrog

Im not an expert, but let me know exactly what hardware your set up is made of.

I use the Chameleon RC3 cd to boot, (install retail snowleopard 10.6) then upgrade to osx 10.6.3 and install Chameleon RC4. (then there is no more need for cd)

If your using ep45 ud3l GO STRAIGHT TO CATRIS BIOS. google it

Good luck

im using ep45 ud3l. Will the cartri bios eliminate the need for a boot cd? Also, is it ok to use it before I have chameleon installed?

Hi mates.

Well, even with Cartri BIOS you will need the boot CD since you don't own original mac hardware.

But there's no need to worry.

You'll find the boot disk in the forum.

You can use the one provided by gurujee in #1 but you may look at page 8-10 to look for verdant boot disk.

Sometimes the Gurujee boot disk just doesn't work and verdant created a new one that works most of the times.

You own the same board of the great part of us here, so just follow the steps of the #1 post and everything will be fine.

If you just start using the Cartri BIOS for this mobo, you can follow the same guide, but in a few steps will be different.

So, my suggestion to you, that's starting with this by now, do a normal install and after when you have a working system, you change to Cartri BIOS.

It will be better for you when it comes to knowledge.

You can post your doubts here so we can help you along the way. :(

Cheers,

bb.

Ok, thanks for the info. I tried both the boot disks, but neither worked. My computer booted up with the disk but all I got was a black screen. Any idea what could be wrong? Should I try the usb drive? Im not sure how to install the snowlaopard boot disk to usb though.

im using ep45 ud3l. Will the cartri bios eliminate the need for a boot cd? Also, is it ok to use it before I have chameleon installed?

Chameleon boot loader (diffent than the cd....google for the installer dr.hurt) RC3 will eliminate the need for the cd.

I installed without catris at first....Then got the Chameleon RC4 boot loader working....then updated to catris bios. ( i am about to post my whole senario.. give me a day)

I would do it this way if I were you.

Do you have a retail snow leopard. I suggest you buy one $29

Anyways... Make sure your bios settings are correct and burn the chameleon disk from page one of this topic. RC3

and boot from it. when you see the chameleon...take out the boot cd and put in the retail...then press F5...then enter on the Mac osx install..then follow the directions from page one

@bb

Thanks for your help bb. Ive got my GFX working know with 10.6.3 and catris bios. Im going to post my estranged scenario hopefully by tomorrow. Eveything is running full speed with only one kext file.

This is awesome.

I hope im not stepping on any toes by giving advice and I hope to not lead anyone in the wrong direction.

Keep an eye on me :(

Thanks again.

Peace and Love from the USA

Ok, thanks for the info. I tried both the boot disks, but neither worked. My computer booted up with the disk but all I got was a black screen. Any idea what could be wrong? Should I try the usb drive? Im not sure how to install the snowlaopard boot disk to usb though.

Hi tastyfrog...

Well, do you have OS X into what media?

The boot disk from verdant, should be recorded into a DVD disk.

You place it into the drive, tell the BIOS to boot from DVD and a screen with some drawings should appear on the display.

Next you place the USB flash drive or replace the disk with the OS X Install DVD and press F5 to refresh the screen...

Do that and see what happens.

I suggest you if you have the OS X DMG file, that you record it into a DVD disk as slow as you can and try with this method...

Cheers,

bb.

Chameleon boot loader (diffent than the cd....google for the installer dr.hurt) RC3 will eliminate the need for the cd.

I installed without catris at first....Then got the Chameleon RC4 boot loader working....then updated to catris bios. ( i am about to post my whole senario.. give me a day)

I would do it this way if I were you.

Do you have a retail snow leopard. I suggest you buy one $29

Anyways... Make sure your bios settings are correct and burn the chameleon disk from page one of this topic. RC3

and boot from it. when you see the chameleon...take out the boot cd and put in the retail...then press F5...then enter on the Mac osx install..then follow the directions from page one

@bb

Thanks for your help bb. Ive got my GFX working know with 10.6.3 and catris bios. Im going to post my estranged scenario hopefully by tomorrow. Eveything is running full speed with only one kext file.

This is awesome.

I hope im not stepping on any toes by giving advice and I hope to not lead anyone in the wrong direction.

Keep an eye on me :(

Thanks again.

Peace and Love from the USA

Your steps were right.

If we have more people willing to help others, it's much better.

I feel nice knowing that I helped another hackintosher. :)

Does your GFX worked fine using only strings or GraphicsEnabler + PciRoot into com.apple.boot.plist?

Cheers,

bb.

Could someone explain how to use a USB drive instead of a cd?

Well, you just need to plug the USB into the port and press F5 to boot disk reloads what options they have to start the boot.

That's primary stuff mate...

That's why I'm suggesting you to use a disk to do it...

It's ezier and faster.

Cheers,

bb.

Ok, but when i boot up with the cd all i get is a black screen

Have you configured your BIOS as said in the first post?

It's important to follow the steps as it says.

Are you using wich boot disk? Gurujee's or verdant's?

Cheers,

bb.

im using Gurujee's boot disk on a usb cd drive. I just double checked all bios settings and they are all correct.

I managed to get it to boot up, but now its giving me the spinning wheel of death with the snowleopard wallpaper.... is this normal?

im using Gurujee's boot disk on a usb cd drive. I just double checked all bios settings and they are all correct.

I managed to get it to boot up, but now its giving me the spinning wheel of death with the snowleopard wallpaper.... is this normal?

Why don't you try it in CD?

Have you already download the verdant's boot disk?

As I told you previously, Gurujee's boot disk sometimes doesn't work.

Go to page 8-10 and download verdant's disk to check.

Cheers,

bb.

I am using the cd method. I just dont have an internal cd drive. this is what im using: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping...e=20-55689122-2. I got it to boot up and i reached the chameleon screen. I pressed enter and now i have the snowleopard wallpaper and a spinning beach ball.. ie its hanging up.

Heres what it looks like: http://cl.ly/8022ae7e3a7a631de177

I am using the cd method. I just dont have an internal cd drive. this is what im using: http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping...e=20-55689122-2. I got it to boot up and i reached the chameleon screen. I pressed enter and now i have the snowleopard wallpaper and a spinning beach ball.. ie its hanging up.

When you got the screen of the boot loader, take the boot disk out, place the OS X Install DVD into the drive and press F5 so it can refresh the options of booting.

When it loads the install disk, type

-v -f

This should start the screen of Snow Leopard.

Then go in the upper menu to Utilities and choose Disk Utility so you can format your target HDD as GPT.

After the format of the HDD, you'll be able to see it in the destination HDD install so choose it and press enter.

Cheers,

bb.

My install dvd is actually on a usb drive. it says it is missing some file.. but it moves too fast. It seems like Systemstarter and launchd are missing some files.. Is there any way to slow down the messages?

No, there's no way to slow down the messages...

If you try using the OS X Install DVD in a disk recorded as slow as you can, you may be able to have install system easily.

Do this.

> Record the boot disk - try verdant's now - to a DVD as slow as you can.

- Do the same with the DMG file with Snow Leopard.

> Boot using verdant's DVD.

> When boot loader is up, change disks and load the OS X Install DVD disk and press F5.

> When OS X Install DVD is loaded, type -v -f arch=i386 and press enter to start loading the files on OS X disk.

> After it load, it should show you the screen where you have some menu in the upper part of the screen.

> Proceed with the format I told you too before.

> Choose the HDD you just formatted.

Installation should start. You'll be asked to choose language and stuff like this. Just follow the on screen instructions.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers,

bb.

P.S. - I'll be off by now. Just be here again tomorrow. C ya.