nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

no, I haven't used the command line guide you posted earlier yet.. have been transferring so much files around that I forgot about it... but I'm sure it will work(everything by verdant works :) )... I will try out that tomorrow..

OSX is so much nice to use that I have completely forgotten about win7...

btw.. atm I'm running osx 1.6 could/should I upgrade to 1.6.4?

Yes, download and run the standalone 10.6.4 Combo Update installer..........backup your OS X system to the 2nd OS X volume I hope you have set up (as I recommend) and quit all open applications before running the installer............if you have any problems, then boot in verbose Safe Mode (i.e. boot with -v -x) and then re-run the Combo Update Installer..........running OS X installers in Safe Mode can be very effective at solving system problems because of what Safe Mode accomplishes.......see here.........

Yes, I did as you suggested. divided my 500gb sata into two equaly sized partitions "osXed" and "osXup" and used Carbon copy cloner to clone osx over and it shows up as bootable..

You should be OK then.........but first check that you can boot into both systems.........it is good you chose HDD volume names without any spaces.......makes command line stuff much easier as spaces in the name do not need 'escaping'.........:)

yes, the clone was bootable..

The strange thing was that in chameleon screen there where 4 apple logo's, like following ( osXed - osXup - osXed - osXup). the first two where bootable but the third wouldn't completely boot, just did the same output as displayed in verbous and then nothing.. :) hmm.. I'm guessing the same thing will happen with the forth choice..

yes, the clone was bootable..

The strange thing was that in chameleon screen there where 4 apple logo's, like following ( osXed - osXup - osXed - osXup). the first two where bootable but the third wouldn't boot in just did the same output as displayed in verbous and then nothing.. :) hmm

I would reinstall Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 on the HDD OS X volumes.........

I reinstalled chameleon on both partitions, and that worked out.

Re, the fstab file didn't work..

I tried:

LABEL=Untitled none ntfs noauto
LABEL=System Reserved none ntfs noauto

and

LABEL=Untitled /volumes/Untitled none ntfs ro,noauto 0 0
LABEL=System Reserved /Volumes/System Reserved none ntfs ro,noauto 0 0

I've googled about it and found lots of different approaches, also one that removes the entire disk#(but this is not efficient since disk number sometimes seems to change during boot).

I reinstalled chameleon on both partitions, and that worked out.

Re, the fstab file didn't work..

I tried:

LABEL=Untitled none ntfs noauto
LABEL=System Reserved none ntfs noauto

and

LABEL=Untitled /volumes/Untitled none ntfs ro,noauto 0 0
LABEL=System Reserved /Volumes/System Reserved none ntfs ro,noauto 0 0

I've googled about it and found lots of different approaches, also one that removes the entire disk#(but this is not efficient since disk number sometimes seems to change during boot).

Try the evaluation version of TinkerToolSystem Release 2........... :censored2:

That worked out perfectly, thx!

Glad to help.........although it is not free software....... :rolleyes: Unless you can figure out what Unix commands it is using.......

Hey,

Good thing to have working clone's(not panicing when getting panic messages :( )..

Did an update to 1.6.4 and now on boot I get a panic message..

post-653040-1283529286_thumb.jpg

Any ideas as to the reason of this?

You should have in /Extra/Extensions/:

EITHER fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (preferred option)

OR netkas' Snow Leopard dsmos.kext and Kabyl's Leopard Disabler.kext (only if preferred option results in kernel panics)

NOT both or a mix of both...........

What are you using..........?

this are the extensions that I'm running 1.6 with:

post-653040-1283530686_thumb.jpg

I thought that it was weird that I had two fakesmc so I removed one and the same with the AppleNForceATA....

so this is what I have in the extensions folder of 1.6.4:

post-653040-1283530691_thumb.jpg

PS. So I did as you said, removed the disabler.kext and dsmos.kext and now the panic is gone..

It must have been a miracle that I was able to boot 1.6 without panic's.. ;D

thx!

post-653040-1283531655_thumb.jpg

this are the extensions that I'm running 1.6 with:

post-653040-1283530686_thumb.jpg

I thought that it was weird that I had two fakesmc so I removed one and the same with the AppleNForceATA....

so this is what I have in the extensions folder of 1.6.4:

post-653040-1283530691_thumb.jpg

PS. So I did as you said, removed the disabler.kext and dsmos.kext and now the panic is gone..

It must have been a miracle that I was able to boot 1.6 without panic's.. ;D

thx!

post-653040-1283531655_thumb.jpg

I would recommend using a USB keyboard and USB mouse, allowing you to remove the PS/2 kexts.........in my /E/E/ directory I have just the following:

AD1998b.FIX.kext for audio

AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

lspcidrv.kext/ for lspci/OSx86Tools

nForceIOATAFamily.kext/ for fast 32bit booting

Hey man i havent screwed around with this computer since i got it so im just learning again about all this, anyways I have a fully working

xfx 750i motherboard

xfx 8600gt 512mb

4gb ram

ide 200gb hdd

running 10.6.0 retail

The thing is I need at least 10.6.2 i have all the snow support files 2.3 on a usb key with chameleon 2.0 rc3 i boot off of(i just never transfered anything over to hdd) I tried to go straight to 10.6.4 and i get kernel panic so im glad i did time machine before i tried it now after 2 hrs of restoring im asking am i doing anything wrong or do i have the wrong file list to use anything higher then 6.0? should i have the support files in the s/l/e folder after updating with kext helper?

usb_key_kexts.tiff

Hey man i havent screwed around with this computer since i got it so im just learning again about all this, anyways I have a fully working

xfx 750i motherboard

xfx 8600gt 512mb

4gb ram

ide 200gb hdd

running 10.6.0 retail

The thing is I need at least 10.6.2 i have all the snow support files 2.3 on a usb key with chameleon 2.0 rc3 i boot off of(i just never transfered anything over to hdd) I tried to go straight to 10.6.4 and i get kernel panic so im glad i did time machine before i tried it now after 2 hrs of restoring im asking am i doing anything wrong or do i have the wrong file list to use anything higher then 6.0? should i have the support files in the s/l/e folder after updating with kext helper?

First of all, assuming you have followed part B in post #1, you should read Part C and D again carefully, as you do not need all the support files.........these parts explain exactly what kexts are needed and where they should go......note that you should have in /Extra/Extensions/:

EITHER fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (preferred option)

OR netkas' Snow Leopard dsmos.kext and Kabyl's Leopard Disabler.kext (only if preferred option results in kernel panics)

NOT both or a mix of both...........plus the other kexts mentioned as essential........

Also download and run the standalone 10.6.4 Combo Update installer..........backup your OS X system to the 2nd OS X volume I hope you have set up (as I recommend) and quit all open applications before running the installer............if you have any problems, then boot in verbose Safe Mode (i.e. boot with -v -x) and then re-run the Combo Update Installer..........running OS X installers in Safe Mode can be very effective at solving system problems because of what Safe Mode accomplishes.......see here.........

Note that TimeMachine backups will not be directly bootable because the HDD bootloader is not backed up with the OS X system backup.......

Hey Mr verdant, do you think trying a patched kernel could help my single core only problem?

I have suggested this to someone having 680i problems.........so it is worth a try..........see these SL non-vanilla kernels..... :D

Is it possible to go back to a vanilla kernel after installing one of these patched ones?

Yes, by making a safe copy of the vanilla mach_kernel and re-installing it and repairing its permissions if necessary:

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel 
sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel

hi verdant,

i tried to modify AHCIPortInjector.kext

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>org.chameleon.plist.AHCIPortInjector</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>AHCI Chipsets Injector</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>KEXT</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.0.0</string>
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>MC55 AHCI</key>
	<dict>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
		<key>Chipset Name</key>
		<string>MC55 SATA</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleAHCI</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x037f10de</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>2000</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>Vendor Name</key>
		<string>NVidia</string>
	</dict>
</dict>
<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
<string>Local-Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

but it still looks like this

SATA.tiff

when starting with -v i get this:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

is this anything bad or ok?

best regards,

iLeopod

So those commands you posted are to save and restore the kernel?

These commands will reset the ownership and permissions of the saved vanilla mach-kernel if you have any problems once it is restored.........

hi verdant,

i tried to modify AHCIPortInjector.kext

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
 <plist version="1.0">
 <dict>
  <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
  <string>English</string>
  <string>org.chameleon.plist.AHCIPortInjector</string>
  <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
  <string>6.0</string>
  <key>CFBundleName</key>
  <string>AHCI Chipsets Injector</string>
  <key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
  <string>KEXT</string>
  <key>CFBundleSignature</key>
  <string>????</string>
  <key>CFBundleVersion</key>
  <string>1.0.0</string>
  <key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
  <dict>
	  <key>MC55 AHCI</key>
	  <dict>
		  <string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
		  <key>Chipset Name</key>
		  <string>MC55 SATA</string>
		  <key>IOClass</key>
		  <string>AppleAHCI</string>
		  <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		  <string>0x037f10de</string>
		  <key>IOProbeScore</key>
		  <integer>2000</integer>
		  <key>IOProviderClass</key>
		  <string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		  <key>Vendor Name</key>
		  <string>NVidia</string>
	  </dict>
  </dict>
  <key>OSBundleRequired</key>
  <string>Local-Root</string>
 </dict>
 </plist>

but it still looks like this

SATA.tiff

when starting with -v i get this:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

is this anything bad or ok?

best regards,

iLeopod

Why are you using AHCIPortInjector.kext? It is a Info.plist kext that adds a device name to AHCI controllers that are not included in the stock vanilla AppleAHCIPort.kext, e.g. for ICH9, ICH9R chipsets etc.....

With a 680i nForce chipset MOBO, use in your /E/E/ directory the following:

AppleNForceATA.64AnV.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

nForceIOATAFamily.kext/ for fast 32bit booting

plus any kext you need for audio unless you are using VoodooHDA in /S/L/E/ along with nForceLAN.kext.......

i thought when i edit it the right name is shown in System-Profiler

No..........with your nForce 680i chipset, you should use the AppleNForceATA.kext.......