nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Invariably on nForce MOBOs with a BIOS that does not have an explicit SATA Controller Mode with an AHCI mode setting, enabling RAID but disabling each SATA RAID channel in BIOS (assuming that you are not using a RAID setup) implicitly enables AHCI mode........

See the 790i BIOS OS X BIOS settings.......downloadable template link is post#1..........

Thanks for the reply.

I have referred the 790i OSX BIOS setting in the post#1.

I've seen in my BIOS that

MCP->E-SATA configuration can be configured SATA mode -> E-SATA

Haven't tried to set RAID mode enabled to each MCP SATA ports (disabled by default).

Perhaps with RAID enabled and MCP configured as E-SATA, can enable AHCI (implicitly). Will try tonight, and update here of course!

If it works, most probably Windows 7 installation won't boot in AHCI and needs reinstall. :D

Now with iStat, I can monitor my Geforce GTX285 temperature. On intel P43, besides CPU cores, only GPU's fps, used ram and % load can be monitored. However, "Unknown Nvidia graphic card" looks ugly.

Thanks for the reply.

I have referred the 790i OSX BIOS setting in the post#1.

I've seen in my BIOS that

Haven't tried to set RAID mode enabled to each MCP SATA ports (disabled by default).

Perhaps with RAID enabled and MCP configured as E-SATA, can enable AHCI (implicitly). Will try tonight, and update here of course!

If it works, most probably Windows 7 installation won't boot in AHCI and needs reinstall. :D

Now with iStat, I can monitor my Geforce GTX285 temperature. On intel P43, besides CPU cores, only GPU's fps, used ram and % load can be monitored. However, "Unknown Nvidia graphic card" looks ugly.

Re Windows 7 and AHCI mode, see here.........hopefully re-installation not required.......... :D

Thanks. that's awesome info.

I enabled RAID and E-SATA for MCP controller and caused the drives connected to the MCP undetected in Windows. However they all appear in Snow Leopard and much more responsive to access files in NTFS partitions

Based on System profiler they aren't AHCI supporting.

As long as I didn't do extensive access to NTFS drives, it'll be OK.

post-647336-1292250183_thumb.png

Thanks. that's awesome info.

I enabled RAID and E-SATA for MCP controller and caused the drives connected to the MCP undetected in Windows. However they all appear in Snow Leopard and much more responsive to access files in NTFS partitions

Based on System profiler they aren't AHCI supporting.

As long as I didn't do extensive access to NTFS drives, it'll be OK.

post-647336-1292250183_thumb.png

What SATA/PATA i.e ATA kexts are you using in /Extra and /S/L/E.....?

I am using MeDevil's AppleNForceATA.kext from topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77071

In /Extra/Extensions i have

Disabler.kext

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOUSBFamily.kext

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

JMicronATA2.kext <-- from iATKOS S3 v2 distro

AppleNForceATA.kext <-- MeDevil kext

NVEnabler64.kext

VoodooMonitor.kext (for monitoring cpu etc)

I didn't throw anything yet into /S/L/E except

IOUSBFamily.kext

IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

I am playing around with some other kext for nForce and the jMicron 36x AHCI chipset.

I am using MeDevil's AppleNForceATA.kext from topic http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77071

In /Extra/Extensions i have

I didn't throw anything yet into /S/L/E except

I am playing around with some other kext for nForce and the jMicron 36x AHCI chipset.

Thats fine.........keep /S/L/E/ as vanilla as possible...........suggest you use the AnV variant of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext for 32bit mode, or for 64bit mode, use imk's 64bit version of AnV's variant of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext for 32bit mode.....see Part K. in post #1.....

Thats

fine.........keep /S/L/E/ as vanilla as possible...........suggest you

use the AnV variant of slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext for 32bit mode, or

for 64bit mode, use imk's 64bit version of AnV's variant of slashack's

AppleNForceATA.kext for 32bit mode.....see Part K. in post #1.....

Hello, thanks for your prompt reply.

I've tested almost all Nforce kexts just to find out which one is best for my PC *ehem* iHack for testing and points out any details for other people's reference.

So I have tried

1. SuperNForceATA (from other site) : long boot and most of the time failed to access or detect nForce NTFS harddisks. Shutdown sometimes fails. Slow HDD/USB transfer

2. slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext : long boot and most of the time failed to access or detect nForce NTFS harddisks. Shutdown sometimes fails. Slow HDD/USB transfer

3. MeDevil / aryajuanda AppleNforceATA (PART K # 4) : Showed correct detection of MCP55 during bootup. Detection of Nforce harddisk with NTFS seems very responsive. Faster boot up than 1 and 2 ;)

4. imk's 64bit version of AnV's AppleNForceATA.kext : Showed correct detection of MCP55 during bootup. Detection of Nforce harddisk with NTFS seems very responsive. File transfer also fast. Boot up took a bit longer than 3 but it's 64-bit! :D:D:D . However after a while, nforce harddisks seems to disappear again from Finder.

I've tried to follow your guide as close as possible and I am very satisfied with the result that i've obtained now. Perhaps I'll choose to use using 3 or 4, which more stable. My DVD-drive should have no problem reading discs as I m using TEAC IDE drive.

Attached are screencaps for MeDevil's and imk's results. In System profiler, the Serial-ATA device name still blank, however.

post-647336-1292346963_thumb.pngpost-647336-1292347075_thumb.png

Nothing worries me more than cooling my northbridge now. nforce 790i northbridge is really HOT 70 C idle! :( . Perhaps that's the answer for SATA appears and disappears. Gonna cool it down with HR-05 IFX soon.

Hello, thanks for your prompt reply.

I've tested almost all Nforce kexts just to find out which one is best for my PC *ehem* iHack for testing and points out any details for other people's reference.

So I have tried

1. SuperNForceATA (from other site) : long boot and most of the time failed to access or detect nForce NTFS harddisks. Shutdown sometimes fails. Slow HDD/USB transfer

2. slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext : long boot and most of the time failed to access or detect nForce NTFS harddisks. Shutdown sometimes fails. Slow HDD/USB transfer

3. MeDevil / aryajuanda AppleNforceATA (PART K # 4) : Showed correct detection of MCP55 during bootup. Detection of Nforce harddisk with NTFS seems very responsive. Faster boot up than 1 and 2 ;)

4. imk's 64bit version of AnV's AppleNForceATA.kext : Showed correct detection of MCP55 during bootup. Detection of Nforce harddisk with NTFS seems very responsive. File transfer also fast. Boot up took a bit longer than 3 but it's 64-bit! :D:D:D . However after a while, nforce harddisks seems to disappear again from Finder.

I've tried to follow your guide as close as possible and I am very satisfied with the result that i've obtained now. Perhaps I'll choose to use using 3 or 4, which more stable. My DVD-drive should have no problem reading discs as I m using TEAC IDE drive.

Attached are screencaps for MeDevil's and imk's results. In System profiler, the Serial-ATA device name still blank, however.

post-647336-1292346963_thumb.pngpost-647336-1292347075_thumb.png

Nothing worries me more than cooling my northbridge now. nforce 790i northbridge is really HOT 70 C idle! :( . Perhaps that's the answer for SATA appears and disappears. Gonna cool it down with HR-05 IFX soon.

The Southbridge is probably also getting very hot.......see here as it could apply to your 790i too......the Northbridge chipset handles the CPU and RAM and in some cases the PCI-E interfacing, while the Southbridge chipset handles peripheral devices including SATA, PATA, USB interfacing etc......so cooling the Southbridge would also be a good idea......

Even on my 650i MOBO, I have put cooling fans over the Northbridge and Southbridge chipset heatsinks.....the Northbridge chipset has a Scythe Mini-Kase Ultra 40mm Quiet Cooling fan mounted on its finned heatsink to blow air down on it (running full speed).......the Southbridge chipset has a Rasurbo 40mm Quiet Cooling fan (running in Q-Fan mode, with its 4 mounting screws partially screwed into the fan frame to lift if off the flat Southbridge heatsink) mounted on it, to blow air down on the heatsink face .......these two fans are mounted using "blobs" of Butyl rubber adhesive, which exhibits both very good holding power against gravity [but is still removable] and vibration damping behaviour, with a maximum service temperature of 93°C..... :D

Chameleon 2.0 RC4 has injector kexts which should deal with this "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller" in System Profiler under Serial-ATA issue......have you tried these kexts in /Extra/Extensions/....?

Chameleon_Injector_Kexts.zip

See my blog entry for About This Mac and CPU name and speed etc.

Chameleon 2.0 RC4 has injector kexts which should deal with this "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller" in System Profiler under Serial-ATA issue......have you tried these kexts in /Extra/Extensions/....?

Chameleon_Injector_Kexts.zip

See my blog entry for About This Mac and CPU name and speed etc.

I am using Chameleon RC5. I think it still work.

I've installed all the injector kexts into /E/E/ . The result is JMicron AHCI controller is detected but nForce ATA seems blank or not recognised.

My main partition with SL installation turned to grey icon and it seems not recognised as AHCI.

I think MCP temperature would make Nforce ATA drive to be 'disconnected' after a few time being used. I experienced sometimes booting is slow, sometimes very fast. Sometimes it boots up into the main windows fast, sometimes it'll take a minute or two just to show desktop icons. Upon fresh start, usually it'll boot faster.

Once I solve the heat issue, I'll report my findings :)

I am using Chameleon RC5. I think it still work.

I've installed all the injector kexts into /E/E/ . The result is JMicron AHCI controller is detected but nForce ATA seems blank or not recognised.

My main partition with SL installation turned to grey icon and it seems not recognised as AHCI.

I think MCP temperature would make Nforce ATA drive to be 'disconnected' after a few time being used. I experienced sometimes booting is slow, sometimes very fast. Sometimes it boots up into the main windows fast, sometimes it'll take a minute or two just to show desktop icons. Upon fresh start, usually it'll boot faster.

Once I solve the heat issue, I'll report my findings :)

Does removing

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

but keeping JMicronATAInjector.kext in /E/E/ make any difference?

Hey, Great Guide!

Helped a lot.

I installed SL on my external using other computer, it was a suprise to see it work.

Followed your guide after that.

Now I have two issues that I can't seem to figure out.

1. Ethernet is detected, but doesn't work right. Used NforceLAN and I usually get a kernel panic. ( I have Realtek RTL8201CP )

2. DVD Drive doesnt work too, no idea of what to do. ( Using HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device)

Thanks for the guide, keep up the good work!

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80G

4.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-4-4-14)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N73-AM (Socket 775) 35 °C

Graphics

SyncMaster @ 1920x1080

512MB GeForce 8600 GT (XFX Pine Group) 62 °C

Hard Drives

488GB Seagate ST3500418AS ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device

Audio

High Definition Audio Device

Realtek RTL8201CP

Hey, Great Guide!

Helped a lot.

I installed SL on my external using other computer, it was a suprise to see it work.

Followed your guide after that.

Now I have two issues that I can't seem to figure out.

1. Ethernet is detected, but doesn't work right. Used NforceLAN and I usually get a kernel panic. ( I have Realtek RTL8201CP )

2. DVD Drive doesnt work too, no idea of what to do. ( Using HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device)

Thanks for the guide, keep up the good work!

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80G

4.0GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-4-4-14)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N73-AM (Socket 775) 35 °C

Graphics

SyncMaster @ 1920x1080

512MB GeForce 8600 GT (XFX Pine Group) 62 °C

Hard Drives

488GB Seagate ST3500418AS ATA Device (SATA) 34 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 ATA Device

Audio

High Definition Audio Device

Realtek RTL8201CP

Glad you liked the guide and found it so helpful....... :D

1. The Realtek RTL8201CP is a single-port PHYceiver i.e. driverless hardware device, driven via the MOBO Network controller (MAC)

I am assuming that your nForceLAN kext is (which it MUST be) physically located in /System/Library/Extensions/, OR in Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/, OR in both /System/Library/Extensions/ and Extensions.mkext........

If present, remove forcedeth.kext and nForceEthernetController.kext, and remove nvenet.kext, or rename it to nvenet.kext.bad......this is because nvenet loads even when another Ethernet/LAN kext has already been loaded for the hardware. In 10.5.7 and later, including 10.6.x, look in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns.......this is a new location for nvenet.kext; prior to 10.5.7, this kext was not in IONetworkingFamily.kext.......

In Terminal, type

cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns 
ls
sudo mv nvenet.kext nvenet.kext.bad
ls
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

"ls will list the files in PlugIns"

Reboot with -v -f

2. The HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 DVDRW is a PATA DVDRW and should be jumper-set and connected as Master to the MOBO.......however, I am not certain if there is generic support for it from OS X.........but see AnV's Apple Shipping Drive 'fix' here......

3. Your audio chipset is a VIA VT1708B I believe - have you got audio working using VoodooHDA?

4. Your MOBO chipset is the NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / nForce 610i - is AppleNForceATA.kext working for you?

1 - I did everything, and the nvenet.kext was moved into the the nvenet.kext.bad

Now I seem to have no PCI ethernet at all, so just to be sure, should I use the nForceLan that is located in my Extensions.mkext? Or should I download an updated version?

2 - My media driver is now jumper-set as Master, and I'll try AnV's fix now.

3 - Yes, It's working nicely!

4- I'm not sure actually, I didn't install it and I seem to be running fine. Whats the use of it, something with SATA DVD's?

Thank You SO SO SO much! You've been AMAZINGLY helpful!

1 - I did everything, and the nvenet.kext was moved into the the nvenet.kext.bad

Now I seem to have no PCI ethernet at all, so just to be sure, should I use the nForceLan that is located in my Extensions.mkext? Or should I download an updated version?

2 - My media driver is now jumper-set as Master, and I'll try AnV's fix now.

3 - Yes, It's working nicely!

4- I'm not sure actually, I didn't install it and I seem to be running fine. Whats the use of it, something with SATA DVD's?

Thank You SO SO SO much! You've been AMAZINGLY helpful!

Glad to help.....;)

1. Install DPCIManager 0.3 for SL and see if your Device ID is one of those actually supported by nForceLAN.....

0x01c310de, 0x006610de, 0x00d610de, 0x008610de, 0x008c10de, 0x00e610de, 0x00df10de, 0x005610de, 0x005710de, 0x003710de, 0x003810de, 0x026810de, 0x026910de, 0x037210de, 0x037310de, 0x03e510de, 0x03e610de, 0x03ee10de, 0x03ef10de, 0x045010de, 0x045110de, 0x045210de, 0x045310de, 0x054c10de, 0x054d10de, 0x054e10de, 0x054f10de, 0x07dc10de, 0x07dd10de, 0x07de10de, 0x07df10de, 0x076010de, 0x076110de, 0x076210de, 0x076310de, 0x0ab010de, 0x0ab110de, 0x0ab210de, 0x0ab310de, 0x0d7d10de

2. OK........hope it works for you..........

3. Good news

4. Good........that confirms that your 610i chipset is fully AHCI compliant........

Glad to help..... ;)

1. Install DPCIManager 0.3 for SL and see if your Device ID is one of those actually supported by nForceLAN.....

2. OK........hope it works for you..........

3. Good news

4. Good........that confirms that your 610i chipset is fully AHCI compliant........

Ok, this is what I get -

post-689697-1292440459_thumb.jpg

I see "kinda" matching things. So I'm guessing it is compatible, rigth?

Sorry for asking all of this, but I really don't want a kernel panic, cause I couldn't clone my drive.

Waiting to know if it is compatible and wich nforcelan kext i should use if it is!

Thanks a lot!

Ok, this is what I get -

Sorry for asking all of this, but I really don't want a kernel panic, cause I couldn't clone my drive.

Waiting to know if it is compatible and wich nforcelan kext i should use if it is!

Thanks a lot!

Hi mate.

Have you already tried nForceLAN.kext?

Generally it works for most nForce based mobos.

Cheers,

bb.

Ok, this is what I get -

Thanks a lot!

@ Damn16

@ Dan`s

Is there a Realtek entry too?

From an earlier version of eno's post #1:

Known working physical devices:

Realtek 8211, 8211B, 8211C

Realtek/Cicada/Vitesse 8201

Marvel 88E1116, 88E3016

so nForceLAN.kext should be working..........get it from my Snow Support Files v2.3

Confirm that the nForceLAN kext is in /System/Library/Extensions/, OR in Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/, OR in both /System/Library/Extensions/ and Extensions.mkext........

Repair /Extra/Extensions/ ownership and permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
 sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
 sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/

and recreate Extensions.mkext

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

If you want to clone your HDD volume, then boot with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 and then clone using Disk Utility, or Carbon Copy Cloner.........but if the cloned volume is the only OS X volume on the HDD, then remember to install the Chameleon bootloader on this HDD as cloning does not clone the bootloader......

Keeping JMicronATAInjector.kext does make JMB36x detected properly and harddisk has AHCI functions.

I might revert to AsereBLN Booter because my Geforce gtx285 can't be detected properly with Chameleon RC5 builts.

That is good news about JMB36x detection.........Yes, the AsereBLN v1.1.9 bootloader is a good, well-liked variant of Chameleon 2.0 RC4.......hence, it is the default bootloader of the iATKOS S3 v2 SL distro.....

@ Damn16

@ Dan`s

Is there a Realtek entry too?

From an earlier version of eno's post #1:

so nForceLAN.kext should be working..........get it from my Snow Support Files v2.3

Confirm that the nForceLAN kext is in /System/Library/Extensions/, OR in Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/, OR in both /System/Library/Extensions/ and Extensions.mkext........

Repair /Extra/Extensions/ ownership and permissions

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
 sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
 sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/

and recreate Extensions.mkext

sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

If you want to clone your HDD volume, then boot with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 and then clone using Disk Utility, or Carbon Copy Cloner.........but if the cloned volume is the only OS X volume on the HDD, then remember to install the Chameleon bootloader on this HDD as cloning does not clone the bootloader......

Hey, everything worked fine! Sorry for taking so long to post anything.

Did everything, and my hack is working great, I just didn't get the DVD-RW Drive to work. \:

Hey, everything worked fine! Sorry for taking so long to post anything.

Did everything, and my hack is working great, I just didn't get the DVD-RW Drive to work. \:

Good news that all worked out OK except for the DVDRW.......... :)

Mr Verdant, would you happen to know what is causing ioacpifamily to kernal panic whenever I try to boot arch=x64_86?

I would need to see the KP screen to see if any kexts other than ioacpifamily are involved......also the kernel log......

That is good news about JMB36x detection.........Yes, the AsereBLN v1.1.9 bootloader is a good, well-liked variant of Chameleon 2.0 RC4.......hence, it is the default bootloader of the iATKOS S3 v2 SL distro.....

Now I had reverted to AsereBLN v1.1.9 bootloader, remove NVEnabler64.kext and GraphicEnabler=Yes to make my GTX285 detected correctly in SL 10.6.5. Looks like it doesn't need any thirdparty kext to make it work. Safe to say it is supported natively.

Wasted time to try other bootloaders and injector, all it needs only to remove NVEnabler64.kext. Then other bootloader detects it correctly too. :)

However ... the main problem is now, data corrupted when I use a microSD card reader to any USB port. This is a bit scary. Luckily I managed to recover lost data. Even in windows the damaged file can't be recovered. I need to recover data using other computer. Using USB harddisks doesn't have any problem, so perhaps the card reader was not working properly.