nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Whats a good nvidia drivers for 8600gt 512 MB for SL 10.6.2?

The 3 easiest options for getting a nVidia graphics card working in Snow Leopard are as follows (easiest first):

1. Chameleon 2.0 GraphicsEnabler option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

2. Hexadecimal graphics string option via com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>"for example, 6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c.." </string>

where the graphics string is generated by EFIStudio v1.1 or OSx86Tools.....

3. NVEnabler injector kext, Injector kext, which enables TV-OUT and injects 2nd display operation very well......

But you still need to insert your graphics card(s) Device ID into the Info,plist files of the NVDAResman.kext and the NVDANV40hal.kext or NVDANV50hal.kext (to see which of these kexts you need to modify to suit your graphics card(s), look at the list of Snow Leopard supported nVidia cards in post 1.......the older NVDANV30Hal, NVDANV20Hal and NVDANV10Hal kexts are not present in Snow Leopard.....).

NOTE: These methods are mutually exclusive......use only one.

If you are familiar with DSDT modding, you can modify your DSDT.aml file with information on your NVCap values obtained via IORegistry Editor, which is the newest method but also the cleanest, most "vanilla" method because it is DSDT-based, rather than involving com.apple.Boot.plist changes, or using a non-vanilla kext.......

Because it only happens randomly, I'll try to post it when I can.

But do you think I should place VoodooHDA kext in the /Extra folder instead of /System/Library/Extenstions/ folder? And thanks for the apps.

Placing VoodooHDA kext in the /Extra/Extensions/ directory would keep /System/Library/Extensions/ directory untouched and "vanilla" but reset it ownership and permisions:

sudo chown -R /Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

If it has difficulty being loaded into the kernel, you could create a symbolic link in /S/L/E to VoodooHDA.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ as follows:

cd /Extra/Extensions/
 sudo ln -s VoodooHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
 ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/
 exit

However, if it does not work in the /Extra/Extensions/ directory, even with a symbolic link, then you may have to keep it in /System/Library/Extensions/.......

Ok, I guess I have to live with the rebooting to swap drive...now back to dealing with that occasional spinning ball issue. Thanks

I am wondering if you are having problems with overheating of your Southbridge chipset.......see here......

Even on my 650i MOBO, I have put cooling fans over the Northbridge and Southbridge chipset heatsinks.....the Northbridge chipset has a Scythe Mini-Kase Ultra 40mm Quiet Cooling fan mounted on its finned heatsink to blow air down on it (running full speed).......the Southbridge chipset has a Rasurbo 40mm Quiet Cooling fan (running in Q-Fan mode, with its 4 mounting screws partially screwed into the fan frame to lift if off the flat Southbridge heatsink) mounted on it, to blow air down on the heatsink face .......these two fans are mounted using "blobs" of Butyl rubber adhesive, which exhibits both very good holding power against gravity [but is still removable] and vibration damping behaviour, with a maximum service temperature of 93°C........ :D

I am wondering if you are having problems with overheating of your Southbridge chipset.......see here......

Even on my 650i MOBO, I have put cooling fans over the Northbridge and Southbridge chipset heatsinks.....the Northbridge chipset has a Scythe Mini-Kase Ultra 40mm Quiet Cooling fan mounted on its finned heatsink to blow air down on it (running full speed).......the Southbridge chipset has a Rasurbo 40mm Quiet Cooling fan (running in Q-Fan mode, with its 4 mounting screws partially screwed into the fan frame to lift if off the flat Southbridge heatsink) mounted on it, to blow air down on the heatsink face .......these two fans are mounted using "blobs" of Butyl rubber adhesive, which exhibits both very good holding power against gravity [but is still removable] and vibration damping behaviour, with a maximum service temperature of 93°C........ :D

If it was an overheating issue I would have similar problems in Windows as well no? I have a Cooler Master Cosmos S case loaded with fans and my CPU is water cooled. I normally over clock but I have everything set stock for now until I can see that Mac is stable. Can you recommend any software for reading temperatures in Mac?

Verdant Hi

How do you revert the about this mac to its original form?

I have one with the logo of the distro i installed and i dont like the logo at all.

Do you know how to revert the about this mac to its factory settings?

thanks

If it was an overheating issue I would have similar problems in Windows as well no? I have a Cooler Master Cosmos S case loaded with fans and my CPU is water cooled. I normally over clock but I have everything set stock for now until I can see that Mac is stable. Can you recommend any software for reading temperatures in Mac?

I presume from the link I gave that Windows is the system the blogger is using , since he writes elswhere about using Windows......and so I can only quote what he says (with text highlights by myself):

<h2 id="post-132">780i MCP Cooling Mod</h2> So as many of you know, back in December I got a shiny new EVGA 780i Motherboard (which was later followed by a slew of other hardware, but that’s another story for another day). Anyway, over the course of these 2 months I have been battling with some pretty severe chipset temperature issues. The IDLE temp of the MCP (Southbridge) chipset was 62C! While this is “in spec” according to NVIDIA, to me this is completely unacceptable, especially when it was cranking up to 70C under load.

Now, I know what some of you might say. Did you try replacing the TIM? Did you follow [p]’s guide on the EVGA Forums? The answer to both of those questions is a yes, those temps I provided are AFTER doing the mentioned things, you don’t want to know what it was before the initial mod.

I run temperature monitoring software in both Windows 7/Vista and in OS X........OS X CPU temperatures are at least 10C higher.......I use Hardware Monitor (but Temperature Monitor is freeware)......there is also iStat 3.0......and VoodooMonitor......

However, the Northbridge and Southbridge chipset temperatures are not usually automatically monitored by most software (and can only be if the chipsets are sensored anyhow).......

Verdant Hi

How do you revert the about this mac to its original form?

I have one with the logo of the distro i installed and i dont like the logo at all.

Do you know how to revert the about this mac to its factory settings?

thanks

See my About this Mac entry in my blog and also Part K Item 1. in post #1......... :)

Ok, well I'll see what I can do about cooling...and I thought after running Prime95 in Windows for a day with my overclock on I was in the clear. Thanks for your time. If I figure this out I'll get back to you.

Ok, well I'll see what I can do about cooling...and I thought after running Prime95 in Windows for a day with my overclock on I was in the clear. Thanks for your time. If I figure this out I'll get back to you.

Running Prime95 stresses the CPU rather than the Southbridge chipset........I hope it is is not a temperature issue but given the infomation in the link, I thought that I ought to mention it to you......

Running Prime95 stresses the CPU rather than the Southbridge chipset........I hope it is is not a temperature issue but given the infomation in the link, I thought that I ought to mention it to you......

Is there anything I can do to put less stress on it in the mean time? Maybe unplugging some USB devices or something like that.

Finally got some time to upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3 this past weekend. I would like to announce success story. The details of my build are in my sig, but I can honestly say that everything is at least 95% to how it was in 10.5.8. The only major item to resolve is the shutdown/reboot issues I am having.

I have graphics fully running through the same EFI Strings I used in 10.5.8. I never got any of the inject methods to work with my specific card, only EFI strings. Audio is working with VoodooHDA, but not as well as my 10.5.8 method. VoodooHDA complains about not being able to find the max dbi levels. It works fine for me since my speakers have their own volume control, but with mute/volume all the way down, some sound is still audible.

I have tried SATA DVD with the newer Anv AppleNforceATA kext with no success. So far, no better than the slashack kext, but since I have 4GB RAM, I just have to deal with USB DVD for now.

After installing 10.6.0 by the guide, I was able to use Software Update to bring everything up to 10.6.3 with no problems. I then did a nice stress test of video encoding that took 12+ hours with both cores maxed at 100% and neither core went over 55C. No system issues at all. Not Prime95, but more "real world."

As to the issues with shutdown/reboot. First, I am using OpenHaltRestart.kext. Shutdown takes 3-5 times longer than it should. The OS appears to shut down fine, but the computer stays on for much longer than before (up to a full minute). Now, rebooting is another issue. No matter how long I wait, the machine never reboots. Again, the OS appears to shutdown completely, but the machine itself seems to hang.

Some testing indicates it may be an issue with my DSDT.aml. I successfully patched it for the CMOS fix, but if I remove the DSDT.aml file, my shutdowns and reboots go back to normal (of course with my CMOS resetting each time). Not sure if this would have anything to do with it, but I did have to force compile the DSDT.aml due to 5 errors dealing with declaring a name inside a "While loop."

Next items to go after will be fixing the shutdown/reboot issue, then getting video and audio working using DSDT if possible. After that, trying to find someone to pay to fix our AppleNforceATA.kext to allow full SATA DVD support and 64bit support.

As to the issues with shutdown/reboot. First, I am using OpenHaltRestart.kext. Shutdown takes 3-5 times longer than it should. The OS appears to shut down fine, but the computer stays on for much longer than before (up to a full minute). Now, rebooting is another issue. No matter how long I wait, the machine never reboots. Again, the OS appears to shutdown completely, but the machine itself seems to hang.

I had that same problem. Updating to Chameleon RC5pre8 fixed it for me.

Is there anything I can do to put less stress on it in the mean time? Maybe unplugging some USB devices or something like that.

All I can suggest is that you disable Firewire in BIOS and only have 1 Ethernet port enabled, and do not do simultaneous multiple USB transfers.....but also ......try aryajuanda's Snow Leopard compiled AppleNForceATA.kext.......see Part K. Item 4........ -_-

Finally got some time to upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6.3 this past weekend. I would like to announce success story. The details of my build are in my sig, but I can honestly say that everything is at least 95% to how it was in 10.5.8. The only major item to resolve is the shutdown/reboot issues I am having.

I have graphics fully running through the same EFI Strings I used in 10.5.8. I never got any of the inject methods to work with my specific card, only EFI strings. Audio is working with VoodooHDA, but not as well as my 10.5.8 method. VoodooHDA complains about not being able to find the max dbi levels. It works fine for me since my speakers have their own volume control, but with mute/volume all the way down, some sound is still audible.

I have tried SATA DVD with the newer Anv AppleNforceATA kext with no success. So far, no better than the slashack kext, but since I have 4GB RAM, I just have to deal with USB DVD for now.

After installing 10.6.0 by the guide, I was able to use Software Update to bring everything up to 10.6.3 with no problems. I then did a nice stress test of video encoding that took 12+ hours with both cores maxed at 100% and neither core went over 55C. No system issues at all. Not Prime95, but more "real world."

Some testing indicates it may be an issue with my DSDT.aml. I successfully patched it for the CMOS fix, but if I remove the DSDT.aml file, my shutdowns and reboots go back to normal (of course with my CMOS resetting each time). Not sure if this would have anything to do with it, but I did have to force compile the DSDT.aml due to 5 errors dealing with declaring a name inside a "While loop."

Next items to go after will be fixing the shutdown/reboot issue, then getting video and audio working using DSDT if possible. After that, trying to find someone to pay to fix our AppleNforceATA.kext to allow full SATA DVD support and 64bit support.

Well done on your success....... :D

Try aryajuanda's Snow Leopard compiled AppleNForceATA.kext.......see Part K. Item 4........ :)

Have you tried EVOReboot.kext instead of OpenHaltRestart.kext?

Have you checked onscreen to see what is happening on shutdown as the system tries to "cleanup" after VoodooHDA?

If you want, zip up your DSDT.aml file and PM me a download link......I will check it over for you..... :)

Try aryajuanda's Snow Leopard compiled AppleNForceATA.kext.......see Part K. Item 4........ :)

I will try when I get home tonight. I'm assuming this is to possibly get 64bit since there's a comment in the same section saying SATA DVD is still a bad idea?

Have you tried EVOReboot.kext instead of OpenHaltRestart.kext?

I'll give this a shot too, but because of RaMDaY's comment above, I read up on some more recent changes for Chameleon RC5 that may allow the removal of this style kext. Specifically the change that allows you to put the restart fix inside com.apple.Boot.plist.

Have you checked onscreen to see what is happening on shutdown as the system tries to "cleanup" after VoodooHDA?

If you want, zip up your DSDT.aml file and PM me a download link......I will check it over for you..... :)

I have not looked too deep into the VoodooHDA problem since I was just ecstatic that sound was working, but since I posted this, I've been doing some reading. Up to now, VoodooHDA for me needed to be placed in /S/L/E/ due to some dependencies it required that wouldn't allow it to work under /E/E/. I just read about a possible DSDT patch that will allow me to run VoodooHDA from /E/E/. I'm gonna give that a shot, but I still expect the max decibel thing to appear, so I'll see what the cleanup says.

Another item I may do is update my BIOS to the latest version. So far, none of the changes since I bought the mobo have been worth it for me to update, but possible code cleanup in more recent versions may allow for a cleaner DSDT compile. I'll check it out tonight. After which I will send you a zipped up version of my DSDT.aml.

BTW, thanks for the awesome job and support you have done for nForce mobos! I built this rig 2-3 years ago so that I could have a Windows gaming machine, but I've always been a Mac user dating back to OS 6 days. The mobo served its purpose well for gaming, but when I started looking into the osx86 scene 2 years ago, I regretted not going with an Intel mobo. The continued success of the nForce mobo in Hackintoshes has allowed me to use this machine as my primary for 2 years, and with Steam coming out for Mac soon, I'll be living fine.

I will try when I get home tonight. I'm assuming this is to possibly get 64bit since there's a comment in the same section saying SATA DVD is still a bad idea?

Yes it is apparently for Snow leopard compatibility as haroot reports........I have yet to try it myself to see if is fully functional 64bit.....

I'll give this a shot too, but because of RaMDaY's comment above, I read up on some more recent changes for Chameleon RC5 that may allow the removal of this style kext. Specifically the change that allows you to put the restart fix inside com.apple.Boot.plist.

It is certainly worth trying Chameleon RC5pre8.......I am fortunate that RC3 and OHR work OK with my 650i MOBO....

I have not looked too deep into the VoodooHDA problem since I was just ecstatic that sound was working, but since I posted this, I've been doing some reading. Up to now, VoodooHDA for me needed to be placed in /S/L/E/ due to some dependencies it required that wouldn't allow it to work under /E/E/. I just read about a possible DSDT patch that will allow me to run VoodooHDA from /E/E/. I'm gonna give that a shot, but I still expect the max decibel thing to appear, so I'll see what the cleanup says.

With VoodooHDA in /E/E, have you tried

sudo chown -R /Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
 sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext
 sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

followed by

cd /Extra/Extensions/
sudo ln -s VoodooHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

Another item I may do is update my BIOS to the latest version. So far, none of the changes since I bought the mobo have been worth it for me to update, but possible code cleanup in more recent versions may allow for a cleaner DSDT compile. I'll check it out tonight. After which I will send you a zipped up version of my DSDT.aml.

OK......no probs

BTW, thanks for the awesome job and support you have done for nForce mobos! I built this rig 2-3 years ago so that I could have a Windows gaming machine, but I've always been a Mac user dating back to OS 6 days. The mobo served its purpose well for gaming, but when I started looking into the osx86 scene 2 years ago, I regretted not going with an Intel mobo. The continued success of the nForce mobo in Hackintoshes has allowed me to use this machine as my primary for 2 years, and with Steam coming out for Mac soon, I'll be living fine.

Glad to help and thanks for the appreciation of my efforts for what is a minority OSx86 PC group........ :) ........

We will be a minority even more so in the future since unless nVidia win their legal battle with Intel (that has resulted in them suspending all nForce chipset development since about August 2009), we "nForcers" will go the way of "PPC G3, G4 and G5 Mac owners" of which I am also one........I would not be a good "technology trend" forecaster......LOL......but I look at computers' value based on their functionality but especially reliability........I have a Beige G3 Desktop with a Sonnet G4 500MHz CPU that has run pretty much 24/7 since 1998......and is still doing so.........my oldest working Macs are two 6100 DOS compatibles and a Quadra 610....... :)

My Snow Leopard has been acting up recently and I just can't figure out the problem. Almost every time I leave it to download something big, like an HD tv episode or something, and I don't interact with the computer, it would lock up. I was hoping anyone with the same problem can shed some light into the matter.

Could this be a heat issue? I checked the CPU's temp and it was about 38c on load, so it can't be the heat, right? Just when I thought I could use SL as my main OS, I ran into this. I am now having doubts to continue at all.

My Snow Leopard has been acting up recently and I just can't figure out the problem. Almost every time I leave it to download something big, like an HD tv episode or something, and I don't interact with the computer, it would lock up. I was hoping anyone with the same problem can shed some light into the matter.

Could this be a heat issue? I checked the CPU's temp and it was about 38c on load, so it can't be the heat, right? Just when I thought I could use SL as my main OS, I ran into this. I am now having doubts to continue at all.

Your 750i Ethernet connection, USB ports, HDA audio, SATA & PATA drives and PCI slots are all handled via the Southbridge 750i MCP chipset.......so if you are downloading via Ethernet to HDD then the CPU is not going to be that heavily loaded but the Southbridge will be.........then you have the functioning of AppleNForceATA.kext and nForceLAN.kext.......plus the possibility that the 750i Southbridge chipset may be getting as hot as the EVGA 780i Southbridge chipset is reported to get.........

Suggestions:

1. Try aryajuanda's Snow Leopard compiled AppleNForceATA.kext.......see Part K. Item 4........

2. Make sure you have the latest version of nForceLAN.kext installed.......

3. If your MOBO has 2 LAN ports, disable 1 in BIOS, likewise Firewire.......

4. Check your system and crash logs.........

5. Consider enhanced cooling for your Southbridge and Northbridge chipsets.......

6. Try downloading after having booted with cpus=1 maxmem=2048.......

I'll try those and see if they work. But there's one thing I don't understand. If it is really the north or southbridge heat problem, then how come it doesn't lock up when I'm downloading in the background and surfing the net at the same time? It seems to happen only when it's unattended.

I'll try those and see if they work. But there's one thing I don't understand. If it is really the north or southbridge heat problem, then how come it doesn't lock up when I'm downloading in the background and surfing the net at the same time? It seems to happen only when it's unattended.

Although I have no proof for this, it is just a supposition......the other possibility is USB inactivity is affecting the Southbridge data transfer timing.....but also check in System Preferences, that you have set Computer Sleep to Never.......

Yeah, the sleep function was the first thing I switched off when I got the first lock up. I even turned off the put display to sleep function.

It's weird that USB inactivities can cause problems to the southbridge. I've been googling around but haven't seen much info on my exact problems. Does your Nforce motherboard ever have this USB inactivity problem?

Although I have no proof for this, it is just a supposition......the other possibility is USB inactivity is affecting the Southbridge data transfer timing.....but also check in System Preferences, that you have set Computer Sleep to Never.......

Yeah, the sleep function was the first thing I switched off when I got the first lock up. I even turned off the put display to sleep function.

It's weird that USB inactivities can cause problems to the southbridge. I've been googling around but haven't seen much info on my exact problems. Does your Nforce motherboard ever have this USB inactivity problem?

The basis for my comment are points I have noted in my earlier blog entries:

As Mysticus C* has noted in his excellent nForce chipset + Intel CPU install guide:

Note: Some People may have issue with DVD stop reading after a while, this is nothing to do with this DVD, but it s related to nforce chipset, after 5-7 mins DVD drive likes to sleep :rolleyes: and cannot wake up... weird enough, to avoid this from happening, move your mouse around the screen every 3-4 mins... trust me, it is the only way at the moment...

so, this "work around" solution to this "falling asleep" of the DVDRW could have a beneficial effect here too.....I do not know.....but you lose nothing by trying it if you are getting these error messages....

Furthermore, the Migration Assistant application works fine (BUT must boot with cpus=1 and maxmem=2048 to avoid freezing during large file and heavy data load transfer......as with Firewire) enabling the transfer of User Accounts and Applications etc. from my Kalyway OS X 10.5.4 system......

And another post and its reply (under my previous username of haxi):

3. Then whenever you wish to do a data transfer via Firewire from digicam to Final Cut Pro 6 on your Hackintosh, then boot with "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" (without quotes). After the data transfer is complete to a file on your HDD, you can reboot as normal to use the 4 cores when video encoding etc......

Then you should hopefully have no problems due to USB or Firewire I/O errors...... :)

Reply here.....but quoted for convenience:

lloydwood

spacer.gif

haxi:

I gave your comments a go and it all works fine :) ! Thanks.

For anyone that's interested, this is what I did:

I had already checked my kernel matched my System.kext as explained by haxi to solve USB hotplug problems.

I reformatted my scratch disk as HFS+

I removed quicktime and reinstalled it as I heard this could cause problems

I edited the com.apple.Boot.plist as instructed by haxi

When I need to capture I use the cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v boot flag. It's a bit annoying but does make capturing completely stable so it's worth the effort.

When I'm doing anything else other than capturing I just boot as normal.

Mobo: P5NE-SLI; Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4 Ghz; 4GB DDR2 800Mhz

OS: 2xBoot (EasyBCD), Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2), Win Vista Home Premium x64

AV: Internal AC97; NVidia Geforce 8500 GT 512MB

HD: I'll look into this

LAN: OB nForce LAN (doen't work); WLAN: Netgear WG111v2

Glad to help and thanks for the appreciation of my efforts for what is a minority OSx86 PC group........ :D ........

We will be a minority even more so in the future since unless nVidia win their legal battle with Intel (that has resulted in them suspending all nForce chipset development since about August 2009), we "nForcers" will go the way of "PPC G3, G4 and G5 Mac owners" of which I am also one........I would not be a good "technology trend" forecaster......LOL......but I look at computers' value based on their functionality but especially reliability........I have a Beige G3 Desktop with a Sonnet G4 500MHz CPU that has run pretty much 24/7 since 1998......and is still doing so.........my oldest working Macs are two 6100 DOS compatibles and a Quadra 610....... :)

Much testing has been done tonight....with results :D

First, BIOS update went without a problem, but no change on the DSDT compile errors, but that will lead us to the next item.

Installed Chameleon RC5pre8 to see if it would solve my shutdown/reboot problems. It didn't :rolleyes: . So, I decided to test some more. Thinking the DSDT.aml was the problem, I removed it from /Extra to see if that solved the problem, just putting the CMOS reset bug back into play. It didn't solve the shutdown/reboot problem, but to my surprise, I had no CMOS reset bug either. Is this something RC5pre8 may be solving now?

Next - more testing, more fun :rolleyes:

So, I removed VoodooHDA from /S/L/E and realized I previously had to also install nForceLAN in /S/L/E because it wouldn't load from /E/E even with modified IONetworkingFamily. A couple testing reboots later with both of those out of /S/L/E my machine started rebooting just fine. Long story short on this one, the shutdown/reboot culprit is nForceLAN 0.64.5. It will not load from /E/E, but will load either inside /S/L/E or with a symbolic link (a side note, VoodooHDA will work sym linked to /S/L/E :D )

So, without nForceLAN loaded, both Ev0reboot and OHR work with shutdown/reboot, with it loaded, problems ensue. I was looking for 0.64.4 or 0.64.3 to see if they would cause the same problem, but eno is only posting the 0.64.5 pkg now.

Last test done was with aryajuanda's AppleNForceATA, and it was a no go in 64bit....see attached blurry image :(

post-232769-1271215376_thumb.jpg

We nForce mobo people will put up a fight! I love how you have a G3 with a Sonnet upgrade card. I'm still running strong with a DP533 G4 Graphite PowerMac myself and a Powerbook 1400 w/ Sonnet G3 card I refuse to give up! :)

So close to perfection on this thing I can taste it. Once there, I plan on....

:yoji:

Much testing has been done tonight....with results :D

First, BIOS update went without a problem, but no change on the DSDT compile errors, but that will lead us to the next item.

Installed Chameleon RC5pre8 to see if it would solve my shutdown/reboot problems. It didn't :rolleyes: . So, I decided to test some more. Thinking the DSDT.aml was the problem, I removed it from /Extra to see if that solved the problem, just putting the CMOS reset bug back into play. It didn't solve the shutdown/reboot problem, but to my surprise, I had no CMOS reset bug either. Is this something RC5pre8 may be solving now?

Next - more testing, more fun :)

So, I removed VoodooHDA from /S/L/E and realized I previously had to also install nForceLAN in /S/L/E because it wouldn't load from /E/E even with modified IONetworkingFamily. A couple testing reboots later with both of those out of /S/L/E my machine started rebooting just fine. Long story short on this one, the shutdown/reboot culprit is nForceLAN 0.64.5. It will not load from /E/E, but will load either inside /S/L/E or with a symbolic link (a side note, VoodooHDA will work sym linked to /S/L/E :D )

So, without nForceLAN loaded, both Ev0reboot and OHR work with shutdown/reboot, with it loaded, problems ensue. I was looking for 0.64.4 or 0.64.3 to see if they would cause the same problem, but eno is only posting the 0.64.5 pkg now.

Last test done was with aryajuanda's AppleNForceATA, and it was a no go in 64bit....see attached blurry image :D

post-232769-1271215376_thumb.jpg

We nForce mobo people will put up a fight! I love how you have a G3 with a Sonnet upgrade card. I'm still running strong with a DP533 G4 Graphite PowerMac myself and a Powerbook 1400 w/ Sonnet G3 card I refuse to give up! :)

So close to perfection on this thing I can taste it. Once there, I plan on....

:D

I think that Chameleon 2.0 RC5 is going to be a major step forward in terms of reducing the number of kexts needed in /Extra/Extensions/, as well as fixing other issues........ :yoji:

Really pleased that the sym links in /S/L/E/ to /E/E/ worked for you as I hoped they would.......I like keeping /S/L/E/ as "vanilla" as possible.........

This is what I have done for myself:

1. I ran eno's 0.64.5 pkg installer for Snow Leopard

2. Copied IONetworkingFamily.kext and nForceLAN.kext from /S/L/E/ to the Desktop

3. Renamed nvenet.kext to nvenet.kext.bad as follows:

IONetworkingFamily.kext > Show Package Contents > Contents > PlugIns

sudo mv /Users/"Your username"/Desktop/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/nvenet.kext /Users/"Your username"/Desktop/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/nvenet.kext.bad

4. Renamed IONetworkingFamily.kext in /S/L/E/ to IONetworkingFamily.kext.orig

5. Renamed nForceLAN.kext in /S/L/E/ to nForceLAN.kext.orig

6. Moved both the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and the nForceLAN.kext from the Desktop into /Extra/Extensions/

7. Reset ownership and permissions for /E/E/ as follows:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions/

8. Created the symbolic links in /S/L/E/ for the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext and the nForceLAN.kext in /E/E

sudo ln -s /Extra/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo ln -s /Extra/Extensions/nForceLAN.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

9. Touched /S/L/E/ to force re-creation of Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

10. Rebooted.......checked in system Profiler > Network that the onboard LAN port was active and had picked up an IP address......success...... :)

Yes, I am afraid that the 64bit compiled AppleNForceATA.kexts "floating around" are not fully functional 64bit kexts in terms of being loading successfully into the booted 64bit kernel......at least on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs....... :D

But it could perhaps be more stable in 32bit mode than other AppleNForceATA as haroot seems to find......?

Just for fun I booted up my Quadra 610 which was last booted in 2000.......and heard the happy Mac chime again....... :rolleyes:

My project over the Summer vac is to learn ASL for ACPI DSDT modding, to see if I can get sleep/waking sorted out on my 650i MOBO...... :(

Cheers

verdant

PS Hope you get nForceLAN.kext woking from /E/E/........

BTW .......my G3 with a Sonnet upgrade card is running OS X 10.4.11 via XPostFacto...... ;)

UPDATE: I will check if the 10.6.3 v1.1 Combo Update released April 12, 2010 (785.29MB) has installed a new IONetworkingFamily.kext......if so, I will just repeat the above procedure for this kext......No new IONetworkingFamily.kext, so all still OK...... :D

nforce brothers !

I need some advice before starting my Hackintosh installation on my nforce 7 series system as shown below:

Q6600 - overclocked to 3.6Ghz

nforce 780i motherboard

ddr2 ram 4GB

GTX260 55nm Graphic card x 2 (running SLI)

I had got 2 of my other system running but they are intel chipset... nforce chipset is really a touch challenge here !

anyone success running OSX 10.6.3 on the above system ?

thanks !

nforce brothers !

I need some advice before starting my Hackintosh installation on my nforce 7 series system as shown below:

nforce 780i motherboard

ddr2 ram 4GB

I had got 2 of my other system running but they are intel chipset... nforce chipset is really a touch challenge here !

thanks !

Start reading at post #1.........with 2 GFX cards your best bet is a graphics string in com.apple.Boot.plist.....

in regards to the idle - crashing issues i have 2 points (but no real concrete information or solutions here, just some comments on how worked around those issues :/)

On my system, allowing the display sleep option in Energy Saver to operate causes my main display to glitch on rare occasions. The video won't come back up on wake sometimes. I'd estimate 1 in 15 wakes or 1 in 20 wakes. The system does come up (i can VNC into it and reboot, etc). But the video comes back as blank.

Also : if I have an attached USB hdd and allow disks to sleep, Occasionally it hangs the specific USB bus that the HDD was attatched to when i try to spin the drive back up after a long amount of idle time. (also a rare problem). I have a LOT of usb devices attached to this machine, and only have issues w/ the drive sleep. (4 external hubs, a number of flash drives, g15 keyboard w lcd display, 2 usb audio interfaces, some game controllers, printers, scanner, serial interfaces, etc) i vetted them all to ensure that this spin up failure wasn't being caused by one of them. (which it wasn't)

Neither of the problems happened frequently enough for me to even begin pinning down the cause. I swap usb and firewire storage devices onto 10.6 running on a different box and have some scripts to quickly mount those new devices. These are the only lingering stability issues i have actually encountered w/ my mobo.

I can only assume that these problems are the result of some power management quirk in the design of the nvidia flavored hardware.

On this discussion of hot bridge chips : My nvidia MCP runs pretty hot (even when the system is idle, regardless of operating system). It has always done so.

nforce brothers !

nforce 780i motherboard

ddr2 ram 4GB

thanks !

What verdant said in his post. an EFI string in your com.apple.boot.plist file OR some flavor of nvinject is going to be your only solution. Hopefully the chameleon or EFI folks make it so GraphicsEnabler supports multiple video cards some day. You can calculate your PciRoot addresses for EFI strings by hand, the method to do so is in the documentation for gfxutil. (gfxutil and the tools that use it only give you the path for your first device enumerated as 'display'). The cheater method (where you just swap a card into your 2nd slot etc) to use gfxutil won't work if your mobo forces your 1st video card to be in your first 16x slot (like mine does >.<).

in regards to the idle - crashing issues i have 2 points (but no real concrete information or solutions here, just some comments on how worked around those issues :/)

On my system, allowing the display sleep option in Energy Saver to operate causes my main display to glitch on rare occasions. The video won't come back up on wake sometimes. I'd estimate 1 in 15 wakes or 1 in 20 wakes. The system does come up (i can VNC into it and reboot, etc). But the video comes back as blank.

Also : if I have an attached USB hdd and allow disks to sleep, Occasionally it hangs the specific USB bus that the HDD was attatched to when i try to spin the drive back up after a long amount of idle time. (also a rare problem). I have a LOT of usb devices attached to this machine, and only have issues w/ the drive sleep. (4 external hubs, a number of flash drives, g15 keyboard w lcd display, 2 usb audio interfaces, some game controllers, printers, scanner, serial interfaces, etc) i vetted them all to ensure that this spin up failure wasn't being caused by one of them. (which it wasn't)

Neither of the problems happened frequently enough for me to even begin pinning down the cause. I swap usb and firewire storage devices onto 10.6 running on a different box and have some scripts to quickly mount those new devices. These are the only lingering stability issues i have actually encountered w/ my mobo.

I can only assume that these problems are the result of some power management quirk in the design of the nvidia flavored hardware.

On this discussion of hot bridge chips : My nvidia MCP runs pretty hot (even when the system is idle, regardless of operating system). It has always done so.

Hi Nick,

Interesting points.......it seems that USB and ACPI power management interactions are central to a number of nForce MOBO issues including sleep/waking.......