nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Glad to help....... :)

Since you need to use the AppleNForceATA.kext, of which no version currently available appears to work properly in 64bit mode, you have to boot in 32bit mode.....so, you should use the 32bit mode version com.apple.Boot.plist (which contains arch=i386).......so no surprise that the 64bit version com.apple.Boot.plist in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3 does not work (it is waiting for a fully working 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext).....

Ah ok.

it runs fine,i just have no internet (not even anthing to set up) not dual dispay and cpu unknown in about mac, and sleep shuts downs after wake. (ill keep reading on this as i know its commen with osx86)

also, after shut down when i turn back on my screen is blank and nothing shows. i have to keep taking out my cmos battery to resolve this.

im not sure on why it does this. i hope its a simple answer as it only does it when mac is insalled.

i stall list whats in my extra/ extentions so i have everything i need in there.

ACHIPortinjector.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleintelPIIXATA.kext

AppleNForceATA64AnV.kext

AppleNForceATA.AnV.kext

AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext

Disabler.kext

Fakemsc.b2.5.kext

JMicron36xeSATA.kext

JmicronATA.kext

LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

NforceLAN.0.64.5.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

some may not be needed but it ran with them in so i just left them in.

:D

Ah ok.

it runs fine,i just have no internet (not even anthing to set up) not dual dispay and cpu unknown in about mac, and sleep shuts downs after wake. (ill keep reading on this as i know its commen with osx86)

also, after shut down when i turn back on my screen is blank and nothing shows. i have to keep taking out my cmos battery to resolve this.

im not sure on why it does this. i hope its a simple answer as it only does it when mac is insalled.

i stall list whats in my extra/ extentions so i have everything i need in there.

ACHIPortinjector.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleintelPIIXATA.kext

AppleNForceATA64AnV.kext

AppleNForceATA.AnV.kext

AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext

Disabler.kext

Fakemsc.b2.5.kext

JMicron36xeSATA.kext

JmicronATA.kext

LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

NforceLAN.0.64.5.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

:)

From your posts, it seems as if you have not fully read/followed/understood my Snow Leopard Install Guide in post #1 of this thread......but I am assuming your BIOS is set correctly according to the 680i BIOS settings for OS X (see link in post #1).......?

1. Sleep does not work on nForce chipset MOBOs by all reports

2. Have you patched your DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra/ with the RTC patch to fix the CMOS reset issue?

3. Are you using a suitably modified SMBIOS.plist based on your RAM etc.......?

4. Have you set GraphicsEnabler=yes, or used a graphics string, or used NVEnabler.kext to get your graphics card running with CI/QE....?

5. For audio see post #2......since AFAIK your MOBO uses the ADI 1988B audio chipset/codec.....

6. Remove from /Extra/Extensions/

ACHIPortinjector.kext

AppleintelPIIXATA.kext

AppleNForceATA.AnV.kext

AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext

Disabler.kext

JMicron36xeSATA.kext

JmicronATA.kext

LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

If you are using a USB keyboard and USB mouse, then also remove AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext......

7. Read post #1 on how to get your onboard LAN working.....using my modified IONetworkingFamily.kext......have only one LAN port enabled in BIOS unless you are using both with Windows....

From your posts, it seems as if you have not fully read/followed/understood my Snow Leopard Install Guide in post #1 of this thread......but I am assuming your BIOS is set correctly according to the 680i BIOS settings for OS X (see link in post #1).......?

1. Sleep does not work on nForce chipset MOBOs by all reports

2. Have you patched your DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra/ with the RTC patch to fix the CMOS reset issue?

3. Are you using a suitably modified SMBIOS.plist based on your RAM etc.......?

4. Have you set GraphicsEnabler=yes, or used a graphics string, or used NVEnabler.kext to get your graphics card running with CI/QE....?

5. For audio see post #2......since AFAIK your MOBO uses the ADI 1988B audio chipset/codec.....

6. Remove from /Extra/Extensions/

ACHIPortinjector.kext

AppleintelPIIXATA.kext

AppleNForceATA.AnV.kext

AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext

Disabler.kext

JMicron36xeSATA.kext

JmicronATA.kext

LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

If you are using a USB keyboard and USB mouse, then also remove AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext......

7. Read post #1 on how to get your onboard LAN working.....using my modified IONetworkingFamily.kext......have only one LAN port enabled in BIOS unless you are using both with Windows....

it is more than likley i didnt fully understand, thank you i will try these and let you know how i got on

thank you again

I keep getting a message "The system bootstrapper has crashed" and it won't let me get to the installer. It worked before once but I didn't have a proper HDD set-up so I couldn't do it then. Now when I try, it fails to even boot the dvd?

I keep getting a message "The system bootstrapper has crashed" and it won't let me get to the installer. It worked before once but I didn't have a proper HDD set-up so I couldn't do it then. Now when I try, it fails to even boot the dvd?

What are your full MOBO/system/device details.......?

What are your full MOBO/system/device details.......?

EVGA 680i A1 model

Q6600 @ 2.4GHz

6GB RAM (i've tried even with 2GB only plugged in)

4x SATA HDD (2x in RAID 0)

1x SATA DVD

GeForce 9600GT

GeFroce GT 240

Creative Audigy 2 ZS

No IDE HDD/DVD, I'm using an external hdd as a DVD. As I said, it has booted from that before so I know it works.

Edit: If there's something I left out, let me know please. It's 5AM here and I'm a bit delirious XD

EVGA 680i A1 model

Q6600 @ 2.4GHz

6GB RAM (i've tried even with 2GB only plugged in)

4x SATA HDD (2x in RAID 0)

1x SATA DVD

GeForce 9600GT

GeFroce GT 240

Creative Audigy 2 ZS

No IDE HDD/DVD, I'm using an external hdd as a DVD. As I said, it has booted from that before so I know it works.

Edit: If there's something I left out, let me know please. It's 5AM here and I'm a bit delirious XD

I am assuming you had a fully installed and working OS X Snow Leopard system on the external HDD.......?

If it is a USB external HDD, then re-check your BIOS settings to confirm that your USB options are enabled, especially Legacy USB Support if it is a BIOS option.......likewise, enable IEEE1934a in BIOS if you are using a Firewire External HDD.........

Then try booting from it again, using

-v arch=i386

if you have Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 installed on the external HDD........but if you are again getting something along these lines:

diskXsY: I/O Error

0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] Errtype I] ErrNo 5] [iOType Read]

PBlkNum 24393] [FSLogMsgID 8214820961] [FSLogMsgOrder First]

0 [Level 3] [ReadUID 0] [Facility com.apple.system.fs] [DevNode root_device] [MountPt /] [Path

/private/var/db/dyLd/dyLd_shared_cache_x32] FSLogMsgID 821482096] [FSLogMsgOrder Last]

com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.launchhctl.System 2 "the system bootstrapper has crashed:

Bus Error"

OR

diskXsY: I/O error.

0 (Level 3) (ReadUID 0) (Facility com.apple.system.fs) (ErrType IO) (ErrNo 5) (I0Type Read) (PBlkNum 1501984) (LBlkNum 1073) (FSLogMsgID 1130958585) (FSLogMsgOrder First)

0 (Level 3) (ReadUID 0) (Facility com.apple.system.fs) (DevNode root_device) (MountPt /) (FSLogMsgID 1130958585) (FSLogMsgOrder Last)

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib

Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/I0Kit.framework/A/I0Kit

Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:

/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib: stat() failed with errno=5

/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib: stat() failed with errno=5

com.applie.launchd 1 com.apple.launchctl.System 2 The System bootstrapper has crashed: Trace/BPT trap

where X and Y in diskXsY will have integer values that depend on your number of devices and volumes connected, it may be that your HDD has "died".........

If you can borrow a PATA DVDRW, you will be able to install OS X without any major problems (since SATA DVDRWs are problematic, invariably giving "still waiting for root device errors" because of the AppleNForceATA.kext not working properly with SATA DVDRWs.....although you can try the AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext ) even if your external HDD has failed......

If it is a USB external HDD, then re-check your BIOS settings to confirm that your USB options are enabled, especially Legacy USB Support if it is a BIOS option.......likewise, enable IEEE1934a in BIOS if you are using a Firewire External HDD.........

Then try booting from it again.........but if you are again getting something along these lines:

OR

where X and Y in diskXsY will have integer values that depend on your number of devices and volumes connected, it may be that your HDD has "died".........

If you can borrow a PATA DVDRW, you will be able to install OS X without any major problems (since SATA DVDRWs are problematic, invariably giving "still waiting for root device errors" because of the AppleNForceATA.kext not working properly with SATA DVDRWs.....although you can try the AppleNForceATA_TEST.kext ) even if your external HDD has failed......

Yea, it looks something like the second error. The dylib one. The reason I didn't use a DVDRW is that I don't have any dual-layer dvds currently and the mac dvd I had didn't work at all.

Yea, it looks something like the second error. The dylib one. The reason I didn't use a DVDRW is that I don't have any dual-layer dvds currently and the mac dvd I had didn't work at all.

As for Mac OS X DVDs, you need a proper Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD rather than a Mac model-specific OS X DVD.........

The simplest method is to do a distro install of Leopard on one volume and then use Leopard to set up another volume as a target OS X Snow Leopard volume, fix DSDT.aml, sort out a graphics string for SL, and set up a 8GB minimum USB flash drive installer..........as explained in post #1.........after you have a working SL system you can clone it to the Leopard volume as a backup system......

BTW if it is the second error type, it may just be a totally corrupted OS X system rather than a HDD failure......as the first error type mentions a Bus Error, whereas the second error type mentions a Trace/BPT trap (a software trap?........you may also see "The System bootstrapper has crashed: Illegal instruction", or "The System bootstrapper has crashed: Segmentation fault".........)

I am assuming you had a fully installed and working OS X Snow Leopard system on the external HDD.......?

I have a more or less the same mainboard as this gentleman. If he encounters the same issues I did, his on-board firewire may end up being very unstable under 10.6. (strange and exotic crashes mid way through installs, etc) like mine did.

I have a more or less the same mainboard as this gentleman. If he encounters the same issues I did, his on-board firewire may end up being very unstable under 10.6. (strange and exotic crashes mid way through installs, etc) like mine did.

Yea, I disable my Firewire since I have no use for it. And I will give it a try again with arch=i386. I don't have anything installed on the External HDD except for 2 partitions. One being the DVD and another being an empty Mac Journaled Partition. And no, I was not able to get a fully working OS on the external since the first time I booted the DVD I did not have any partitions ready to install on. And for the flash drive the problem is I don't have an 8GB flash drive since I lost mine :\. I've been meaning to buy another one but haven't gotten around to it. I am using the bootloader dvd you have up in the first post to boot the external with. I would recopy the DVD onto it but my vmware with SL says I don't have VT enabled when in my BIOS I clearly do.

Yea, I disable my Firewire since I have no use for it. And I will give it a try again with arch=i386. I don't have anything installed on the External HDD except for 2 partitions. One being the DVD and another being an empty Mac Journaled Partition. And no, I was not able to get a fully working OS on the external since the first time I booted the DVD I did not have any partitions ready to install on. And for the flash drive the problem is I don't have an 8GB flash drive since I lost mine :\. I've been meaning to buy another one but haven't gotten around to it. I am using the bootloader dvd you have up in the first post to boot the external with. I would recopy the DVD onto it but my vmware with SL says I don't have VT enabled when in my BIOS I clearly do.

A physical install of Leopard using a distro to one HDD volume and then using it to install Snow Leoaprd to another HDD volume using the OSInstall.mpkg method wouild seem sensible to try, since for the USB method you need a ≥ 8GB flash drive (which you do not have) and for the Boot132DVD method you need a Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD and ideally a PATA DVDRW (which you do not have).............

zeronight : what bios revision are you using, out of curiosity? Also, what version / type of nforce sat kept are you using?

Ah ok.

ACHIPortinjector.kext

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleintelPIIXATA.kext

AppleNForceATA64AnV.kext

AppleNForceATA.AnV.kext

AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext

Disabler.kext

Fakemsc.b2.5.kext

JMicron36xeSATA.kext

JmicronATA.kext

LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext

NforceLAN.0.64.5.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

:)

Got Dual screen working, was a matter of reading your guide though and adding string and then repairing permitions (sorry if i keep making you repeat youself) my bad habbit.

only have cmos reset to fix and this random freese to sort. Lan is working but after a wile it seems to loose connection and somtime shows no device but shows again after restart....

im finding this DSDT patching a bit difficault, the instructions are fine its just the end part. do i use DSDT.dsl (from debug folder) and rename .aml or use the DSDT.aml?

When using the renamed DSDT.aml in /Extra it works a treat but i get a voodoo panic.

sorry if this is mentioned this before.

Got Dual screen working, was a matter of reading your guide though and adding string and then repairing permitions (sorry if i keep making you repeat youself) my bad habbit.

only have cmos reset to fix and this random freese to sort. Lan is working but after a wile it seems to loose connection and somtime shows no device but shows again after restart....

im finding this DSDT patching a bit difficault, the instructions are fine its just the end part. do i use DSDT.dsl (from debug folder) and rename .aml or use the DSDT.aml?

When using the renamed DSDT.aml in /Extra it works a treat but i get a voodoo panic.

sorry if this is mentioned this before.

Glad you were able to follow my guide and get dual screen working......... :)

The generated dsdt.aml should be renamed as DSDT.aml and then DSDT.aml placed in / or in /Extra.......I put mine in /

Do you mean a VoodooHDA panic......?

Glad you were able to follow my guide and get dual screen working......... :)

The generated dsdt.aml should be renamed as DSDT.aml and then DSDT.aml placed in / or in /Extra.......I put mine in /

Do you mean a VoodooHDA panic......?

it really is a great guide and you cover everything.

then i was right in reading. i used the generated DSDT.aml (in upper case) and changd the 2x 4 values to 2 but when in extra/ it appears to do nothing.

i have done this 3 times just to make sure. hmm...

not sure what a VoodooHDA panic is. shall i boot in -v to find out?

it was using the wrong DSDT file anyway. just happed to work.

it really is a great guide and you cover everything.

then i was right in reading. i used the generated DSDT.aml (in upper case) and changd the 2x 4 values to 2 but when in extra/ it appears to do nothing.

i have done this 3 times just to make sure. hmm...

not sure what a VoodooHDA panic is. shall i boot in -v to find out?

it was using the wrong DSDT file anyway. just happed to work.

Zip up your DSDT.aml file and post me a download link for it.......I will look at it for you........it would also help if you put your system details in your IM signature (inc. your audio chipset) as I deal with so many posts in the forum and by PM that I cannot remember everyone's system details.......

Zip up your DSDT.aml file and post me a download link for it.......I will look at it for you........it would also help if you put your system details in your IM signature (inc. your audio chipset) as I deal with so many posts in the forum and by PM that I cannot remember everyone's system details.......

that woud be great, thank you. i will zip it for you now and post you link in pm.

im using external audio card. will post you all and will follow up your reply in the afternoon.

thank you again.

that woud be great, thank you. i will zip it for you now and post you link in pm.

im using external audio card. will post you all and will follow up your reply in the afternoon.

thank you again.

Have you installed the VoodooHDA.kext in /E/E/ or in /S/L/E/?

i have not......

will try get it now thak you

Before you do, what is your onboard audio chipset/codec?

zeronight : what bios revision are you using, out of curiosity? Also, what version / type of nforce sat kept are you using?

Using the latest revision, P33. nForce sat kept? I used to have VT working just fine. It only recently just stopped working all of a sudden. I was running VM's fine for a while and then Windows started acting up.

Using the latest revision, P33. nForce sat kept? I used to have VT working just fine. It only recently just stopped working all of a sudden. I was running VM's fine for a while and then Windows started acting up.

Same version i was using; I was mostly asking out of curiosity. 'kept = kext' mobile device auto-correct is a pain :/. I am not sure what to tell you on the VM issue. I have used vmware in linux and in win xp on my mobo with no significant issues. I don't have any ideas for you on that one.

as to what your working with w/ verdant, voodoohda will work w/ your mobo's alc885 audio chipset, or you can use the legacyhda + dsdt patch method that are in verdant's guide, the dsdt section for audio on the evga mobo is a bit . .weird though, should you choose to go that route.

I've followed this guide to no avail. I'm still getting the:

System config file com.apple.boot.plist not found

error after successfully installing Hazard Snow Leopard and trying to boot in to OSX on my HDD.

After pressing F8, I am not given the choice to select my HDD, only some network boot drive (that doesnt exist).

What on earth could I be doing wrong?

Specs:

Motherboard: nForce 680i LT

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad

Memory: 4GB

SATA Hard Drive: 1.5TB WD Caviar Green (Brand New)

SATA Disk drive: DVD-RW +DL

Distro: Hazard Snow Leopard w/ 10.6.2

I've followed this guide to no avail. I'm still getting the:

System config file com.apple.boot.plist not found

error after successfully installing Hazard Snow Leopard and trying to boot in to OSX on my HDD.

After pressing F8, I am not given the choice to select my HDD, only some network boot drive (that doesnt exist).

What on earth could I be doing wrong?

Specs:

Motherboard: nForce 680i LT

Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad

Memory: 4GB

SATA Hard Drive: 1.5TB WD Caviar Green (Brand New)

SATA Disk drive: DVD-RW +DL

Distro: Hazard Snow Leopard w/ 10.6.2

1. Double-check your BIOS settings against the 680i chipset settings for OS X......for link to template see post #1.........as well as your Device Boot Priority in BIOS..........if you cannot enter your BIOS Boot Menu screen by pressing F8 immediately you see "Press Del to enter BIOS setup" message, then try F12.......

2. Have you got a com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra with

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v arch=i386</string>

and have you installed the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 bootloader?

3. Importantly, also see my Hazard Snow Leopard w/ 10.6.2 Install Guide in my blog........there are some necessary actions that you may not have taken........ ;)

4. With your SATA DVDRW you may need to use AppleNForceATA_TEST kext and maxmem=3072 in your com.apple.Boot.plist file in /Extra as folloes:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v arch=i386 maxmem=3072</string>

But a PATA DVDRW is recommended, so that you can use slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext, or its AnV variant, to access your 4GB RAM without any problems........