nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Hey Verdant. I finally got SL to work, thanks so much for your help. I did what you told me to and repaired permissions to mach_kernel and double checked BIOS settings. It seemed I missed some settings. Everything seems to be working fine now, except for the long reboot and my LAN is not showing up, even though I have the kext from your snow support files folder in my /Extra/Extensions/ folder. Should I put that kext in System/Library/Extensions/ folder as well?

I also want to ask you about the update to 10.6.2. Do I just open up Software Update and update, or do I need anything special?

1 more thing.....how come I can't copy files to any volume, other than OSXBOOT, OSXBACK and OSXSL?

update: I fixed the LAN issue. Regarding the reading only from NTFS volumes, it seems OSX can't write to any NTFS formatted drive.

Do you really think it's the DSDT.aml that's causing this problem? Do you think I should reinstall Snow Leopard?

I corrected your RTC patch and fixed a "Reserved method must return a value (_WAK)" warning......you have USB entries that look similar to mine so I do not believe your USB issue relates to your DSDT.......I have PMd you...... EDIT: As you have now confirmed by proper setting of your BIOS for OS X.

Hey Verdant. I finally got SL to work, thanks so much for your help. I did what you told me to and repaired permissions to mach_kernel and double checked BIOS settings. It seemed I missed some settings. Everything seems to be working fine now, except for the long reboot and my LAN is not showing up, even though I have the kext from your snow support files folder in my /Extra/Extensions/ folder. Should I put that kext in System/Library/Extensions/ folder as well?

I also want to ask you about the update to 10.6.2. Do I just open up Software Update and update, or do I need anything special?

1 more thing.....how come I can't copy files to any volume, other than OSXBOOT, OSXBACK and OSXSL?

Glad to help....... ;)

Yes......the BIOS must ALWAYS be CHECKED FIRST.......it saves a lot of wasted time in many cases.......so, my mantra for Newbies is

Begin with BIOS; use USB keyboard & USB mouse to avoid PS/2 issues; check on PATA before you check on SATA; HDD MBR partition and format, unless you have good reason to use GPT; boot OS X DVD with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048, unless you know better; initially choose no video, network and audio kext for easy path to OS X.....

Regarding your LAN......the nvenet.kext is problematic......this because nvenet loads even when another Ethernet/LAN kext has already been loaded for the hardware. In 10.5.7, and 10.5.8 and 10.6, it is located in

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns....

So, try this:

Take a COPY of the IONetworkingFamily.kext from Snow Leopard, and go to its PlugIns folder to either remove nvenet.kext or rename it to nvenet.kext.bad.....then put this IONetworkingFamily.kext in /Extra....

You should be able to go to Software Update and simply update to 10.6.2......

What is the format of the volumes you want to write to?

i am adding these commands to my usb install stick

is there any kexts i can add to it to get networking and sound and others working ??

right now im logged into my restored win7 again,

damn osx corrupted my ntfs partitions,

so i had to repair them,

but yes, in general, i want to add my hardware related kexts to a usb snow leo installer, so that my hardware works from the getgo..

so i can store that usb stick away for future needs....

as im going to be upgrading my system, and entire pc actually, going corei7 series with evga x58 classified and a gtx480 once available

so im going to leave this tower dedicated to osx and linux only...

and my new system will be for windows gaming..

i am adding these commands to my usb install stick

is there any kexts i can add to it to get networking and sound and others working ??

right now im logged into my restored win7 again,

damn osx corrupted my ntfs partitions,

so i had to repair them,

but yes, in general, i want to add my hardware related kexts to a usb snow leo installer, so that my hardware works from the getgo..

so i can store that usb stick away for future needs....

as im going to be upgrading my system, and entire pc actually, going corei7 series with evga x58 classified and a gtx480 once available

so im going to leave this tower dedicated to osx and linux only...

and my new system will be for windows gaming..

When installing OS X did you first disconnect your Windows 7 HDD as advised? .....see section 4 of the Introduction in post #1.....

To get OS X SL running as if on a HDD when booted from a USB flash drive installer, you need the same kexts in /Extra/Extensions/ as you would with a HDD OS X system volume installation.......

I corrected your RTC patch and fixed a "Reserved method must return a value (_WAK)" warning......you have USB entries that look similar to mine so I do not believe your USB issue relates to your DSDT.......I have PMd you...... EDIT: As you have now confirmed by proper setting of your BIOS for OS X.

Glad to help....... ;)

Yes......the BIOS must ALWAYS be CHECKED FIRST.......it saves a lot of wasted time in many cases.......so, my mantra for Newbies is

I fixed the writing to volume issue by following a guide from lifehacker site. I do, however, have another question. How come on loading screen, SL always load -v(verbose) mode? I'm sure you know what I'm talking about(the silver/grey screen with the apple logo and an animated loading icon).

yea when i first started doing all this i did not disconnect my drives, that was my own fault, i figured id be fine,

but yes im right now trying to do some updates on some of the files that are on my usb stick,

im updating to fakesmc v2.5, nforcelan 0.64.5, voodoohda 64bit, alc888 64bit, and bcm43xx 64bit kexts

ill post as to success or not

update: I fixed the LAN issue. Regarding the reading only from NTFS volumes, it seems OSX can't write to any NTFS formatted drive.

Correct.....OS X can read/write to FAT32 volumes and naturally read NTFS volumes but needs NTFS-3G with MacFUSE to write to NTFS volumes.....see here and here....there is also Paragon NTFS......

Tuxera NTFS for Mac is compatible with Snow Leopard when running the standard 32/64-bit hybrid kernel, which is able to address up to 32 GiB of memory. It is not yet compatible with the new purely 64-bit Snow Leopard kernel which is supported by some newer Macs. The 64-bit kernel is only used by default in the latest Xserve rack mounted servers, capable of using up to 48 GiB of memory. All other Macs use the 32/64-bit hybrid kernel by default because their hardware doesn’t support more than 32 GiB of memory, and as such running the purely 64-bit kernel would be pointless.

If you want to use Tuxera NTFS on an Xserve with up to 32 GiB of memory, you have to revert to the 32/64-bit hybrid kernel by adding ‘arch=i386′ to the kernel boot arguments, for example by adding it to the section ‘Kernel Flags’ in the configuration file:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

I fixed the writing to volume issue by following a guide from lifehacker site. I do, however, have another question. How come on loading screen, SL always load -v(verbose) mode? I'm sure you know what I'm talking about(the silver/grey screen with the apple logo and an animated loading icon).

Because -v is in the com.apple.Boot.plist file..........you can choose to remove it........personally I have chosen not to because I like to see exactly what OS X is doing when I boot.........

yea when i first started doing all this i did not disconnect my drives, that was my own fault, i figured id be fine,

but yes im right now trying to do some updates on some of the files that are on my usb stick,

im updating to fakesmc v2.5, nforcelan 0.64.5, voodoohda 64bit, alc888 64bit, and bcm43xx 64bit kexts

ill post as to success or not

Hope you have success....... ;)

I assume you are including AnV's AppleNForceATA 64bit kext......but will you be booting into 32bit mode using arch=i386 rather than 64bit mode using arch=x86_64.......or, does his kext boot for you in 64bit mode......?

it indeed does boot but im not sure if it 64 or 32, i brain farted and didnt think to check when system had booted

but i assume it was 64bit, as i used the breaking news kext and didnt have no boot flags set to specify what to boot

it indeed does boot but im not sure if it 64 or 32, i brain farted and didnt think to check when system had booted

but i assume it was 64bit, as i used the breaking news kext and didnt have no boot flags set to specify what to boot

I ask because myself and others can boot into 32bit mode BUT not 64bit mode with AnV's AppleNForceATA 64bit kext.....

From an earlier post of mine in this thread:

In Terminal type:

ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi

and if the response is

"firmware-abi" = <"EFI32">

rather than

"firmware-abi" = <"EFI64">

then your system cannot be booted into a 64bit kernel.......

However, do not be too worried by this, as you can run your 64bit-aware applications as 64bit and they will take advantage of all the RAM you have installed, even up to 32GB (see below).....this has been/is true even in the case of Leopard 10.5.x......

Obviously, in the case of nForce chipset MOBOs with >3GB RAM installed, you have to run slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext or AnV's variant of it (unless the MCP is fully AHCI-compliant; see here)

In fact, booting into a 64bit kernel is only really advantageous with >32GB RAM, my understanding from reading around is that while a 32bit kernel and 32bit applications can work with >32GB RAM, the 32bit kernel/applications can only address 4GB of RAM at a time.....and since kernel structures e.g. the page table, expand as RAM increases, when the 32bit kernel structures hit the 4GB RAM access limit during kernel operation, the system will experience a kernel panic and crash......this RAM limit is apparently at some level not too far above 32GB, hence the stated 32GB limit (because no current "real" Mac can support more than 32GB RAM)........

But is is very beneficial (according to testing done by others), even in Leopard, when running 64bit aware applications, to uncheck the “Open in 32 Bit Mode” option in the application's "Get Info" pop-up window.......

I will catch up with you tomorrow sometime.......

Cheers

verdant

I almost got everything worked to my liking except for the long restart and wrong RAM speed reading. Whenever I restart the computer, it would go to black screen for about 20 seconds and then it restarts itself. I've tried to replace the openhaltrestart in the Extra/ folder, and I have tried your NforceIOfamily kext, but the problem still persists. What do you suggest I do? It's not much of a deal, so whenever you have time is fine.

to post #809

i tired that above post command in terminal and this is the response i got from leopard 10.5.6,

| | "firmware-abi" = <"EFI64">

havent tried in snow leo yet, but when i do, i will edit post as needed

snow leo returned the same above string from the command

hey verdant,. im right now loaded into osx leopard again,

10.5.6, with chameleon rc4(boot0 & boot1h installed) and efi 10.6(boot) on my main osx leopard disk

what ive done is installed leopard onto the first partition, out of 4 osx ones, in a guid formatted disk

installed iPC as to my normal methods, this time with voodoohda for my x-fi card which is now working amazingly...

then i edited my usb stick for installing snow leo

added what files i needed, then i installed osx snow leo onto a separate 60gb sata hdd with 2 partitions, one for boot, and one for full install,

snow leo now boots into desktop, but still no lan or hardware support of any type except for video,

so im going to test a few things out after ive cloned my drives thru disk utility

ill report back here for snow leo success or failure,

and ill report in the other topic about my leo success

HOLY COW :D:D

i got somewhere finally,

been at it all night, for me its 5:35am in ontario canada,

and ive been up since yesterday, been at this snow leo install for the last 8hours

ive installed snow leo using the usb stick method, then installing chameleon rc4 and efi 10.6 onto the snow leo drive,

after i was able to boot into snow leo from fresh install, i restarted, booted into leo,

copied files over from leo, onto snow leo desktop, files used - kext helperb7, osx86tools, voodoohda.kext w/prefpane 32/64bit SL, nforcelan.kext v0.64.5, fakesmc.kext v2.5, the applenforceata kext from breaking news, openhaltrestart.kext, nullcpupowermanagement.kext, platformuuid.kext, com.apple.boot.plist eddited for my hardware, smbios.plist, and my dsdt.aml file

once loaded into snow leo desktop i installed the 10.6.2 combo update, restarted, booted back into snow leo,

at desktop again, loaded kext helper b7, loaded all my kexts into it, installed them, then exited program,

launched osx86tools, did some about this mac mods, and then checked off " repair permissions, set extensions permissions, clear extensions cache, clear user application cache, clear system application cache, touch extensions cache...

ran selected tasks, once finshed, i enabled Quartz GL as well, then finally restarted...

got booting into desktop, and BAM X-Fi pci-e sound, fully supported video, onboard nforcelan working,

now just need to get wifi setup, keyboard and mouse software installed, all possible system and application updates for osx, like safari, itunes, all that jazz...

ive typed this from my working snow leo install with networking and playing music i download from itunes

will post back with more progress notes :D

HOLY COW :D :D

i got somewhere finally,

been at it all night, for me its 5:35am in ontario canada,

and ive been up since yesterday, been at this snow leo install for the last 8hours

ive installed snow leo using the usb stick method, then installing chameleon rc4 and efi 10.6 onto the snow leo drive,

after i was able to boot into snow leo from fresh install, i restarted, booted into leo,

copied files over from leo, onto snow leo desktop, files used - kext helperb7, osx86tools, voodoohda.kext w/prefpane 32/64bit SL, nforcelan.kext v0.64.5, fakesmc.kext v2.5, the applenforceata kext from breaking news, openhaltrestart.kext, nullcpupowermanagement.kext, platformuuid.kext, com.apple.boot.plist eddited for my hardware, smbios.plist, and my dsdt.aml file

once loaded into snow leo desktop i installed the 10.6.2 combo update, restarted, booted back into snow leo,

at desktop again, loaded kext helper b7, loaded all my kexts into it, installed them, then exited program,

launched osx86tools, did some about this mac mods, and then checked off " repair permissions, set extensions permissions, clear extensions cache, clear user application cache, clear system application cache, touch extensions cache...

ran selected tasks, once finshed, i enabled Quartz GL as well, then finally restarted...

got booting into desktop, and BAM X-Fi pci-e sound, fully supported video, onboard nforcelan working,

now just need to get wifi setup, keyboard and mouse software installed, all possible system and application updates for osx, like safari, itunes, all that jazz...

ive typed this from my working snow leo install with networking and playing music i download from itunes

will post back with more progress notes :D

Are you booting into SL with arch=x86_64 or arch=i386....?

im not sure, but i just edited my com.apple.boot.plist files to reflect booting into 64bit, and am going to restart and inform on what happens

it would appear that i cannot boot into 64bit,

if i use the " arch=x86_64 " boot flag, i get the never ending " waiting for root device "

something to do with applenforceata or something not loading,

im kinda tired so sorry for vague descriptions

if i use the " arch=i386 " flag, here i come booted to my desktop...

so i must not be in 64bit, but yet i thought all my kexts and such were 64bit capable :S

im not sure, but i just edited my com.apple.boot.plist files to reflect booting into 64bit, and am going to restart and inform on what happens

it would appear that i cannot boot into 64bit,

if i use the " arch=x86_64 " boot flag, i get the never ending " waiting for root device "

something to do with applenforceata or something not loading,

im kinda tired so sorry for vague descriptions

if i use the " arch=i386 " flag, here i come booted to my desktop...

so i must not be in 64bit, but yet i thought all my kexts and such were 64bit capable :S

That is the reason I asked.........just because a kext is claimed to be 64bit capable does not mean that it actually functions when booting into 64bit mode.......furthermore, as indicated in my earlier post on 64bit mode, unless you have >32GB RAM installed, there is no major disadvantage in booting in 32bit mode, as you can run your 64bit-aware applications as 64bit and they will take advantage of all the RAM you have installed, even up to 32GB........although obviously not with the full 64bit performance they would achieve running via a 64bit kernel........but it is very beneficial (according to testing done by others), even in Leopard, when running 64bit aware applications, to uncheck the “Open in 32 Bit Mode” option in the application's "Get Info" pop-up window.......

so i dont really need to worry about 64bit then.. ?

im not to worried, ive updated to 10.6.3, and updated alot of other apps and tools to the most current versions...

ive installed latest version of macfuse from googlecode page..

all my harddrives are connected, all my partitions show up, i have complete control and access over all files,

all my hardware is working, sound, video, ram, cpu cores, wifi, proper usb support,

so far so good, now im just puttin the install thru my normal windows abuse... torrents, itunes, youtube videos, safari, adium, everything running all at once with no hiccups yet... sinve 10.6.3 was installed anyway... :S so far so good

QUICK EDIT = about this mac says i have a 3.4ghz intel quad core xeon, how can i fix to my proper cpu...

im forcing chameleon to use the smbios.plist in my extra folder upon boot, and it was a mac pro 3.1 plist file

I'm trying to install from a USB-drive to a SATA-drive, through Chameleon 2 RC4 on a NForce 680i SLi.

The installer starts out fine, but it only detects the USB-drive I'm installing from.

I checked the system profiler and there is no ATA nor SATA.

I tried reconnecting the target drive during the installation but without results.

I've tried with both ATA-kexts from your file-package.

so i dont really need to worry about 64bit then.. ?

im not to worried, ive updated to 10.6.3, and updated alot of other apps and tools to the most current versions...

ive installed latest version of macfuse from googlecode page..

all my harddrives are connected, all my partitions show up, i have complete control and access over all files,

all my hardware is working, sound, video, ram, cpu cores, wifi, proper usb support,

so far so good, now im just puttin the install thru my normal windows abuse... torrents, itunes, youtube videos, safari, adium, everything running all at once with no hiccups yet... sinve 10.6.3 was installed anyway... :S so far so good

QUICK EDIT = about this mac says i have a 3.4ghz intel quad core xeon, how can i fix to my proper cpu...

im forcing chameleon to use the smbios.plist in my extra folder upon boot, and it was a mac pro 3.1 plist file

Good to see that everything is pretty much working 100% for you......so do not get too hung up on booting in 64bit mode.......just enjoy Snow Leopard......... :D

Check out my blog entry on About This Mac........

I'm trying to install from a USB-drive to a SATA-drive, through Chameleon 2 RC4 on a NForce 680i SLi.

The installer starts out fine, but it only detects the USB-drive I'm installing from.

I checked the system profiler and there is no ATA nor SATA.

I tried reconnecting the target drive during the installation but without results.

I've tried with both ATA-kexts from your file-package.

Have you checked your BIOS settings against the 680i chipset OS X settings template in post #1 here.......?

Is your target OS X volume on the HDD set up as a primary partition and is it the first volume on the HDD and is it partitioned as GPT or MBR and in either case formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)......?

how can i force my apps to install onto another mac partition, and also, can i force my downloads into another partition as well, ??

Quick Edit : figured out how to move the home folder in osx to another partition,

http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move-the-h...n-os-x-and-why/

1. The System, Library and Applications folders need to remain on a bootable drive. The System folder for obvious reasons, while the latter two folders have to remain with the System folder because Library is the location of all the system Administrator level files that have global influence, e.g. the .plist files in SystemConfiguration etc. and Applications and any applications it contains are permission-set to be read and written to by the System.

You can run OS X Migration Assistant to copy Applications etc. from one bootable drive onto another......or use Carbon Copy Cloner slective cloning option......

2. You can determine where your file download location by simply setting your browser(s) download location preference.........

Hey Verdant, any suggestions on the long restart/shutdown problem? I'd like to get everything working before I clone it to my OSXBACK (backup partition).

You can reduce the boot time......see post #1 Part K Item 3..........but I am not aware of anything to speed up shutdown......

However, my Snow Leopard shutdown from the Desktop takes only 10 seconds, while booting to the Desktop in verbose mode (using the nForceIOATAFamily.kext from Part K Item 3.) takes 30 seconds........

How long does your restart/shutdown take?

OMG.... more problems now....

ok so here was the thing, i had my test osx snow leo, installed on a 60gb hdd, with 2 partitions, one was 15gb the rest was leftover to another osx partition,

i installed snow leo onto the 15gb for testing, and setting up needed apps.

i found that i ran out of space mighty quick,

so i moved my home folder to another hdd and partition,

i followed a tut on how to extend my bootable partition, i erased the 2nd one, using disk utility,

and expanded the size, and went to restart to take effect,

and now i get this when i try to log into snow leo

i am currently logged into my backup leo 10.5.6

so if i can fix this, please advise as to what i may need to do...

and again, many thanks to all the help ive received so far

post-101356-1269963927_thumb.jpg

@tnap1979

Maybe you corrupted some sectors on your hdd when you extended the 15GB partition. Since it's your test OSX anyway, couldn't you just format and reinstall SL? It sucks, I know. I've format and reinstall so many times...

You can reduce the boot time......see post #1 Part K Item 3..........but I am not aware of anything to speed up shutdown......

However, my Snow Leopard shutdown from the Desktop takes only 10 seconds, while booting to the Desktop in verbose mode (using the nForceIOATAFamily.kext from Part K Item 3.) takes 30 seconds........

How long does your restart/shutdown take?

About 20-30 seconds. This is after all the codes have been loaded and the monitor turned black.

Do you think the "shutdown/restart" fix from the iPC DVD will help? I can always just tick that option from the installation window.

I remember that's how I reversed back to voodoo kernel after upgrading to 10.5.8. This was before I knew how to manually install kernels.

About 20-30 seconds. This is after all the codes have been loaded and the monitor turned black.

Do you think the "shutdown/restart" fix from the iPC DVD will help? I can always just tick that option from the installation window.

I remember that's how I reverse back to voodoo kernel after upgrading to 10.5.8. This was before I knew how to manually install kernels.

Prior to installing nForceIOATAFamily.kext, my bootup time was about 90 seconds.......so I am not sure if you can reduce the bootup time below 20-30 seconds just by trying different shutdown/restart kexts, e.g. OpenHaltRestart (which I use), EVOReboot, or Master Chief's OSXRestart, which is just a restart fix (any shutdown issues have to then be fixed via DSDT)......unless you can use the approach of Master Chief explained here.......

OMG.... more problems now....

ok so here was the thing, i had my test osx snow leo, installed on a 60gb hdd, with 2 partitions, one was 15gb the rest was leftover to another osx partition,

i installed snow leo onto the 15gb for testing, and setting up needed apps.

i found that i ran out of space mighty quick,

so i moved my home folder to another hdd and partition,

i followed a tut on how to extend my bootable partition, i erased the 2nd one, using disk utility,

and expanded the size, and went to restart to take effect,

and now i get this when i try to log into snow leo

i am currently logged into my backup leo 10.5.6

so if i can fix this, please advise as to what i may need to do...

and again, many thanks to all the help ive received so far

Your thanks are noted and appreciated......... :(

This problem of not being able to boot back into Snow Leopard is a consequence of moving your home folder to another HDD volume........so when you followed the procedure to extend your bootable partition, the path to your relocated home folder was corrupted and/or lost..........that is why I personally prefer the complete cloning approach to keep a working OS X system updated and safe, i.e. periodically I will just clone my newest 100% working OS X HDD volume to the other OS X volume.....

Have you tried copying your relocated home folder back into /Users on your now-extended bootable volume.....?

If this does not work, then after picking the extended bootable volume icon on the Chameleon boot screen, type -s and hence:

1. Run in single user mode (using the -s flag while booting i.e. type -s at the "boot:" prompt) and wait for the prompt ":/ root#" to appear, type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for ":/ root#" to re-appear.......

2. Mount the file system by typing "mount -uw /" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt.

3. Change the root password by typing "passwd root" at the ":/ root#" prompt and then typing in a new root password and retyping it again as requested.

4. Create the .AppleSetupDone file by typing

"touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt

5. Boot the system by typing "exit" (without quotes) at the ":/ root#" prompt.

6. Reboot using -v -f and hopefully, the OS X Login screen will be presented; enter "root" as Name and for Password, the root password chosen previously, and the system logs you in as a System Administrator.....