nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Temperature Sensors :

I presently run Temperature Monitor.app for peeking at my cpu cores and smart disks. . .

Does anyone run anything else on their nforce board that pulls up more data than that? (i recall their being specialty kernels that customized that sort of thing, but i would prefer to run vanilla). .I recall that fakesmc v2.5 had some sort of temp sensor stuff patched into it (also just for the cpu)

Winbond sensor access perhaps?

I use Hardware Monitor but it too only gives CPU core and HDD temperature data.......have you seen here?..........I am not up to date on its current development status on Russian OSx86 fora......

i am using chameleon 2 rc4

when i boot with -v arch=i386 after updating to 10.6.3 , after it show "MAC Framework successfully initialized" , it panics and displays some memory addresses and then shows the process name as kernel_task

i have tried using -v -x -f arch=i386 flags too but it doesnt boot up

Glad to help....... ;)

Which version of Chameleon 2.0 are you using?

What do you see when you boot with -v arch=i386?

i am using chameleon 2 rc4

when i boot with -v arch=i386 after updating to 10.6.3 , after it show "MAC Framework successfully initialized" , it panics and displays some memory addresses and then shows the process name as kernel_task

i have tried using -v -x -f arch=i386 flags too but it doesnt boot up

My guess is that your kernel has not been located and/or loaded.......unhide the system and hidden files, then check that you have the vanilla SL mach_kernel in the / directory and that in com.apple.Boot.plist in both /Extra and in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ you have

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

and that in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra you have

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

Re-set ownership and permissions on the kernel......

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel

chmod 644 /mach_kernel

exit

If that does not help, download and re-run the 10.6.3 Combo Installer package and then the 10.6.3 v1.1 Combo Installer package........

Hi, Why my disks size are wrong in snow leopard ... My 500 GB HDD is 500.11 GB instead of 465 GB (default) and 160 GB HDD is 160.04 GB instead of 148 GB... Thanks in advance... :thumbsup_anim:

Hi, Why my disks size are wrong in snow leopard ... My 500 GB HDD is 500.11 GB instead of 465 GB (default) and 160 GB HDD is 160.04 GB instead of 148 GB... Thanks in advance... :)

Storage device manufacturers use the SI definitions, so that

1kB = 1,000 Bytes

1MB = 1,000,000 Bytes = 1,000 kB

1GB = 1,000,000,000 Bytes = 1,000 MB

whereas computer operating systems use the binary definition

1kiB = 1,024 Bytes

1MiB = 1,048,576 Bytes = 1,024 kiB

1GiB = 1,073,741,824 Bytes = 1,024 MiB

Hence 1GiB = 230 = 1,073,741,824 Bytes = 1,024 MiB = 1.073741824 GB

kilobyte (kB) 103 -> 210 kibibyte (KiB)

megabyte (MB) 106 -> 220 mebibyte (MiB)

gigabyte (GB) 109 -> 230 gibibyte (GiB)

terabyte (TB) 1012 -> 240 tebibyte (TiB)

petabyte (PB) 1015 -> 250 pebibyte (PiB)

Apologies for typo.......got my GB and GiB switched...... B)

Text in red is now the correct way round!

500.11 GB -> 500,107,862,016 Bytes -> 465.76 GiB

That is, 1 GiB ≈ 1.074 GB, or 1 GB ≈ 0.931 GiB

So, OS X Snow Leopard is simply reporting your HDD capacity (Bytes) as GB (i.e. base 10) rather than as GiB........ :)

This is a change from Leopard (10.5), Tiger (10.4), Panther (10.3), Jaguar (10.2) etc., which report HDD capacity (Bytes) as GiB (i.e. base 2) rather than as GB..............see here...... :)

Edited by verdant

@ Everyone with an interest in Sleep Function on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs

I have investigated the functioning of sleep under Leopard 10.5.6 and found that when the CPU and/or RAM is overclocked, sleep stops functioning properly.......this may be true of 10.6.3, assuming I get sleep to function via DSDT patching.......if it is, then I will keep the overclocking and forget about sleep.........

@ Everyone with an interest in Sleep Function on nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs

I have investigated the functioning of sleep under Leopard 10.5.6 and found that when the CPU and/or RAM is overclocked, sleep stops functioning properly.......this may be true of 10.6.3, assuming I get sleep to function via DSDT patching.......if it is, then I will keep the overclocking and forget about sleep.........

I guess that explains why my PC never wakes up.

Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in real quick and see what new progress had been made for this whole sleep issue and I just wanna add that after reading verdant's last post about the overclocking...that definitely sheds some light, but what if you've never overclocked and sleep just didn't work? Is there anything that can explain wth was the difference going from 10.5.6 to anything beyond? Man, if I could get sleep working, then that would be fantastic! :blink:

On a side note: Verdant, you're a saint dude for devoting so much time to actually answer people's questions no matter how trivial and minor they are...I was backtracking and was surprised that someone actually went into describing the difference in KBs, MBs, GBs...I think we're regressing, not progressing, but that's just my opinion and not to be taken as an insult by anyone who's overly sensitive about words. Keep up the great work Verdant and I hope that someday u can just have a post that says "BUY THIS EQUIPMENT AND U'LL NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS AGAIN!!! IF YOU PURCHASE ANYTHING OTHER THAN DESCRIBED HERE, SUPPORT IS VOIDED!!!" lol best of luck dude.

-Maj

Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in real quick and see what new progress had been made for this whole sleep issue and I just wanna add that after reading verdant's last post about the overclocking...that definitely sheds some light, but what if you've never overclocked and sleep just didn't work? Is there anything that can explain wth was the difference going from 10.5.6 to anything beyond? Man, if I could get sleep working, then that would be fantastic! :)

On a side note: Verdant, you're a saint dude for devoting so much time to actually answer people's questions no matter how trivial and minor they are...I was backtracking and was surprised that someone actually went into describing the difference in KBs, MBs, GBs...I think we're regressing, not progressing, but that's just my opinion and not to be taken as an insult by anyone who's overly sensitive about words. Keep up the great work Verdant and I hope that someday u can just have a post that says "BUY THIS EQUIPMENT AND U'LL NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS AGAIN!!! IF YOU PURCHASE ANYTHING OTHER THAN DESCRIBED HERE, SUPPORT IS VOIDED!!!" lol best of luck dude.

-Maj

Hi Majestus,

Unfortunately, I am just not brainy enough to give an immediate answer on sleep working with 10.5.6 but not with 10.5.7, 10.5.8 and now Snow Leopard, even when CPU and/or RAM are not overclocked...... :(

I still have to learn more about DSDT patching and ASL programming....... :blink:

Have you tried sleep with 10.5.6 overclocked and not overclocked?

Thanks for the encouragement...... :)

thx man

Glad to help.......I have PM'd you the link for version 2 of your DSDT.aml.......I have patched it for the Snow Leopard BIOS CMOS reset fix and all errors and warnings have been fixed for you....... :unsure:

@ Verdant

are you loading AppleLPC.kext? sleep can be effected if it is loaded and setting "Start up automatically after power failure" isn't checked

@ Verdant

are you loading AppleLPC.kext? sleep can be effected if it is loaded and setting "Start up automatically after power failure" isn't checked

No, I am not using AppleLPC.kext as I am not native speedstepping.........also, 'Automatic restart after power failure' does not appear in Energy Saver, which would be the case with AppleLPC.kext loaded.......

didn't think you had to had to be native speedstepping to load it, i know native speedstep won't work WITHOUT it though...

just wondering because when it is loaded, on some setups even if you wipe the _PTS and _WAK methods from dsdt, machine will still perfectly sleep/wake as long as the setting in energy saver is enabled

Storage device manufacturers use the SI definitions, so that

1kB = 1,000 Bytes

1MB = 1,000,000 Bytes = 1,000 kB

1GB = 1,000,000,000 Bytes = 1,000 MB

whereas computer operating systems use the binary definition

1kiB = 1,024 Bytes

1MiB = 1,048,576 Bytes = 1,024 kiB

1GiB = 1,073,741,824 Bytes = 1,024 MiB

1GiB = 230 = 1,073,741,824 Bytes = 1,024 MiB = 1.073741824 GB

kilobyte (kB) 103 -> 210 kibibyte (KiB)

megabyte (MB) 106 -> 220 mebibyte (MiB)

gigabyte (GB) 109 -> 230 gibibyte (GiB)

terabyte (TB) 1012 -> 240 tebibyte (TiB)

petabyte (PB) 1015 -> 250 pebibyte (PiB)

500.11 GiB -> 500,107,862,016 Bytes -> 465.76 GB

So, OS X Snow Leopard is simply reporting your HDD capacity (Bytes) as GiB rather than as GB........ :rolleyes:

This is a change from Leopard, which reports HDD capacity (Bytes) as GB rather than as GiB..............see here...... :)

thanks for your explanation...;)

@ abhilash and all other readers

Apologies for the confusion.........I get the math correct and make a typo in simple final summary...... :(

See my edited original post, as per here:

Apologies for typo.......got my GB and GiB switched...... :(

So, OS X Snow Leopard is simply reporting your HDD capacity (Bytes) as GB (i.e. base 10) rather than as GiB........ :D

This is a change from Leopard (10.5), Tiger (10.4), Panther (10.3), Jaguar (10.2) etc., which report HDD capacity (Bytes) as GiB (i.e. base 2) rather than as GB..............see here...... :(

@ abhilash and all other readers

Apologies for the confusion.........I get the math correct and make a typo in simple final summary...... :blush:

See my edited original post, as per here:

Apologies for typo.......got my GB and GiB switched...... :rolleyes:

So, OS X Snow Leopard is simply reporting your HDD capacity (Bytes) as GB (i.e. base 10) rather than as GiB........ :)

This is a change from Leopard (10.5), Tiger (10.4), Panther (10.3), Jaguar (10.2) etc., which report HDD capacity (Bytes) as GiB (i.e. base 2) rather than as GB..............see here...... ;)

:) ... so, why it shows 465.76 GB in windows instead of 465.76 GiB...

:rolleyes: ... so, why it shows 465.76 GB in windows instead of 465.76 GiB...

In case people are confused by GiB.......

Hi fellows.

Now that I'm back in track I'll be more around here. <_<

Hi Maj.

Haven't heard from you for so long. How ya doing mate? I hope you're fine. And the kids? Are they OK?

Veeeeerd... what's up mate??

I'm still amazed with the cooler mate. It makes no noise at all. If wasn't for the fan besides me - yeah, I need a big fan for my heat too | LOL | - I hear nothing coming from my CPU. It's so damn fine this piece. And I can say that for what I can get, the price was very cheap. :wacko:

Well, I think that sleep is an issue that's far from working normally. Here I still have problems of waking, but sleep is working, but if I can't wake, why should I sleep? ;)

I'm going to test a kext from a friend that allows any Broadcom BT based chipset to wake from sleep soon. If works fine, I'll post results here.

Gotta go. Gotta wake up early tomorrow.

Cheers,

bb.

is anyone successfully running dual graphics cards on a i680 nvidia chipset in 10.6?

I cannot get my 2nd pcie video slot to work for additional displays outside of SLI mode (using what i believe to be correct EFI string injection); Both my cards work independently/ test ok etc. I'm trying to figure out if this is simply a limitation of the chipset; does anyone know if the 2nd video slot is designed to operate in SLI mode only? My system picks up the 2nd card and i can read it out in ioreg, etc. it shows up in windows (although i cannot run a monitor off of it).

The EVGA documentation and general documentation about the i680 that i have found doesn't say diddly about this stuff. They seem to assume that everyone is going to have these boards running in SLI.

I have found vague comments on various threads relating to dual graphics setup that nvidia chipsets were 'difficult' to get dual graphics up on. I'm not sure if that is someone blowing wind for an answer or it really is impossible to get it up and running on the 2nd 16x video slot outside of windows specific SLI operation.

I'm assuming i could probably get an additional card up and running in 8x mode in the general purpose aux/physx slot on my board; but i was curious if anyone had any input on this issue or has heard of anyone having any success.

nick /out

is anyone successfully running dual graphics cards on a i680 nvidia chipset in 10.6?

I cannot get my 2nd pcie video slot to work for additional displays outside of SLI mode (using what i believe to be correct EFI string injection); Both my cards work independently/ test ok etc. I'm trying to figure out if this is simply a limitation of the chipset; does anyone know if the 2nd video slot is designed to operate in SLI mode only? My system picks up the 2nd card and i can read it out in ioreg, etc. it shows up in windows (although i cannot run a monitor off of it).

The EVGA documentation and general documentation about the i680 that i have found doesn't say diddly about this stuff. They seem to assume that everyone is going to have these boards running in SLI.

I have found vague comments on various threads relating to dual graphics setup that nvidia chipsets were 'difficult' to get dual graphics up on. I'm not sure if that is someone blowing wind for an answer or it really is impossible to get it up and running on the 2nd 16x video slot outside of windows specific SLI operation.

I'm assuming i could probably get an additional card up and running in 8x mode in the general purpose aux/physx slot on my board; but i was curious if anyone had any input on this issue or has heard of anyone having any success.

nick /out

From your post may I assume you have already tried without success, the string given here modified for your model, VRAM etc....using a combination of OSx86Tools, EFIStudio v1.1 and/or Hex Fiend......?

Managed to get 10.6 up and running so thank you for all you have done to help me verdant, it did seem to be adding to the extra/extentions that was the magic wand in the end. i tryed using you x64 boot.plist but it gave me a waiting for root device.

but al least it up and running atm so i will look into this more in the moring as there still a few things that need to be added. thank you again

From your post may I assume you have already tried without success, the string given here modified for your model, VRAM etc....using a combination of OSx86Tools, EFIStudio v1.1 and/or Hex Fiend......?

Yeah, I originally sourced my info from aquamac. I am using a pair of reference 9800gtx+ cards. Tested individually they are fine w/ single strings. Unless my dsdt is causing some sort of issue.

Windows isn't allowing the 2nd card to be used as a display interface either, although it shows up as a sli or physx interface. I can readout interface data from the card in 10.6 via ioreg and lspci shows it as well.

Evga still has not replied to me, hopefully that sheds some light for me.

Managed to get 10.6 up and running so thank you for all you have done to help me verdant, it did seem to be adding to the extra/extentions that was the magic wand in the end. i tryed using you x64 boot.plist but it gave me a waiting for root device.

but al least it up and running atm so i will look into this more in the moring as there still a few things that need to be added. thank you again

Glad to help....... :)

Since you need to use the AppleNForceATA.kext, of which no version currently available appears to work properly in 64bit mode, you have to boot in 32bit mode.....so, you should use the 32bit mode version com.apple.Boot.plist (which contains arch=i386).......so no surprise that the 64bit version com.apple.Boot.plist in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3 does not work (it is waiting for a fully working 64bit AppleNForceATA.kext).....

Yeah, I originally sourced my info from aquamac. I am using a pair of reference 9800gtx+ cards. Tested individually they are fine w/ single strings. Unless my dsdt is causing some sort of issue.

Windows isn't allowing the 2nd card to be used as a display interface either, although it shows up as a sli or physx interface. I can readout interface data from the card in 10.6 via ioreg and lspci shows it as well.

Evga still has not replied to me, hopefully that sheds some light for me.

If a Linux install or Live CD, such as Ubuntu 10.04, does not allow you to set up/see the 2nd card as a display interface, then it seems to suggest a BIOS DSDT issue since the 3 OS are all using the same basic DSDT loaded from BIOS.......