nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Hi Nick,

Interesting points.......it seems that USB and ACPI power management interactions are central to a number of nForce MOBO issues including sleep/waking.......

Thats been my overall impression. I've started looking at linux-flavored forums for issues w/ nforce hardware to try to sniff out possible solutions / directions for further investigation.

*shrug* can't hurt.

I feel noobish.

There was a bios update for the EVGA i680 boards in September that I somehow overlooked. P33. Going to have to retest all sorts of things >.<

Wait and see.......

My own experience is that the latest BIOS is not always best.......initially my 650i P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO came with the 0805 BIOS installed but this did not allow stable overclocking of my Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 [Kentsfield 65nm] G0 (SLACR) version 2.40GHz CPU with VID=1.3000V beyond 2.7GHz. So I upgraded the BIOS to the 0901, 1002, and 1003 versions.......still no success! I had to downgrade these other BIOS's to the 0803 version to enable overclocking up to 3.3GHz under Windows (3.2GHz under OS X)......which was not officially listed on the Asus website for very long for some reason......so, I had to find an uploaded copy elsewhere via Google.....!

The 1002 and 1003 bios AFAIK are tailored and meant specifically for the 45nm chips. Most people I have seen with 65nm chips have the best luck with 801 and 803 and some with 901......

Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus BIOS version History

[ 1502 ]

----------------------

Fix it takes long time to screen show with certain AMD graphic card when booting up the system.

[ 1401 ]

----------------------

Fix CPU FSB might not run its default speed after AUTO mode is set up in AI-Tuning.

[ 1301 ]

----------------------

1.Change CopyRight year from 2008 to 2009.

2.Update EZ-FLASH2 to B334

[ 1201 ]

----------------------

1. Enhanced compatibility when using four modules of DDRII 667 memory.

2. Fix it might not be able to install Solris on this motherboard.

3. Support new CPUs, please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupp...-E%20SLI%20Plus

[ 1104 ]

----------------------

1.Fix CPU Lockfree function might be unable to work properly.

2.Hide CPU Multiplier item for ratio locked CPU.

3.Fix incorrect L2 cache info. Of certain Intel Wolfdare CPU in the BIOS setup.

[ 1003 ]

----------------------

1. Fix LAN fails after resuming from S3 mode.

2. Enhance compatibility with certain add-on Raid card.

[ 1002 ]

----------------------

Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupp...SLanguage=en-us

[ 0901 ]

----------------------

1. Enhance compatibility with Creative X-FI Sound Card

[ 0805 ]

----------------------

1. Enhance CPU overclock capability of FSB1333 processors

2. Add new CPU uCode to support new processors

3. Enhance memory compatibility

4. Enhance overclocking capability

5. Enable support for ASUS SK-2690 keyboard

6. Enable support for Razer Copperhead USB Mouse

[ 0801 ]

----------------------

1. Update CPU uCode to support new processors

2. Enhance memory compatibility under full load (4 DIMM)

3. Revise Q-Fan control code

4. Fix system fail to resume from S3 mode via PS/2 keyboard

5. Update NV RAID ROM to 6.9802.

6. Add microcode not found & update fail message support

7. Finetune CPU fan speed too low warning range

8. Use new French translation

9. Modify General Help string.

10.Fixed floppy item value error.

11.Use new Simplified Chinese translation.

12.Use new Japanese translation.

13.Support post message in Japanese

14.Use new German translation.

15.Fixed incorrect CPU Vcore when set to above 1.60V

[ 0705 ]

----------------------

P5N32-E SLI Plus beta BIOS.

[ 0602 ]

----------------------

1.Fix incorrect display of Vcore value when above 1.80V.

2.Fixed CPU Vcore cannot be set by user when Overclocking at some frequency.

3.Support new CPUs, please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupp...-E%20SLI%20Plus

[ 0501 ]

----------------------

1. Enhance memory compatibility

2. Enable support for FSB 1333Mhz CPU

3. Fixed sometime the CPU VID table will be dystroyed

4. Fixed Vcore error when CMOS checksum fail

5. Fixed summary page "CPU ID/ucode ID" string will show "CPU ID/uc" instead

6. Update EZ-Flash version to B319

7. Finetune H/W Monitor Voltage warning range

8. Fixed system hang when Music Alarm play length is over 1 hour

9. Lock 'F8' and 'DEL' function key when after entered EZFlash

10. Fixed Music Alarm auto shutdown when using Presler 3.4GHz CPU with WD1200 HDD and ASUS DRW1612BL

11. Fixed system may show "error loading operation system" message when using CHS mode PATA HDD, and set "Access Mode" to CHS at the same time

12. Fix system will report error when there is Legacy floppy is disabled at the same time when SATA ODD is the only device connected to this motherboard

13. Enhance HDD compatibility

14. Change Max FSB to 650MHz on AI-Booster

15. Fixed CPR fail when overclock too much

16. Finetune USB driving

17. Fixed power Fan can't work after S3

18. Set DDR2 Termination Max default Votlage to 1.25V (Memory Voltage is 2.5V)

19. Add patch to support Creative X-FI sound Card

20. Speed up S3 resume time

21. Change CopyRight year from 2006 to 2007.

22. Fixed memory clock mode option may disappear when SLI ready memory is used

23. Enable support for LinkBoost

[ 0402 ]

----------------------

1. Enhance memory compatibility

2. Fixed power Fan can't work after S3.

3. Set DDR2 Termination Max default Votlage to 1.25V (Memory Voltage is 2.5V)

4. Add patch to support Creative X-FI sound Card

5. Speed up S3 resume time.

6. Change CopyRight year from 2006 to 2007.

[ 0302 ]

----------------------

Initial Release

Having said that I will probably try 1502 BIOS........ :thumbsdown_anim:

UPDATE: no go with 1502 BIOS even without overclocking.....back to 0803 BIOS

After screwing around with my system some more I seem to have found my firewire stop working in Mac after I boot out of Windows. When booting into -V i will see the message FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid. In order to fix this I have to completely shut down my computer, unplug the firewire cable and then reboot. Instead of seeing "FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid" I see ""ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure". Should I worry about this? My hard drive mount fine and I am able to capture video. I can restart the computer without unplugging my firewire cable until I go into Windows. Once I am in windows and then want to go back into Mac and need to do what described above else I won't be able to get my on board firewire ports working. This happens with all kext files I tried and the firewire port on my audigy card never had a problem.

Hi Guys!!!

I have sucessfully installed snow leopard 10.6.2. Everything works great on my xfx 790I board except it doesnt recognize any of my sata ports only my jmicron sata. Any suggestions how to fix this??

Thanks

/Christian

After screwing around with my system some more I seem to have found my firewire stop working in Mac after I boot out of Windows. When booting into -V i will see the message FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid. In order to fix this I have to completely shut down my computer, unplug the firewire cable and then reboot. Instead of seeing "FireWire GUID ffffffffffffffff is invalid" I see ""ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure". Should I worry about this? My hard drive mount fine and I am able to capture video. I can restart the computer without unplugging my firewire cable until I go into Windows. Once I am in windows and then want to go back into Mac and need to do what described above else I won't be able to get my on board firewire ports working. This happens with all kext files I tried and the firewire port on my audigy card never had a problem.

You do not need to worry about "ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to to full-secure".....

Hi Guys!!!

I have sucessfully installed snow leopard 10.6.2. Everything works great on my xfx 790I board except it doesnt recognize any of my sata ports only my jmicron sata. Any suggestions how to fix this??

Thanks

/Christian

Have you not put an AppleNForceATA.kext from my Snow_Support_Files_V2.3 in /Extra/Extensions...........?

Hello all,

I've been trying to follow part F. on this extremely helpful guide. I get snow leopard to install but when i try to boot the partition, is says loading Mach kernel in slightly large letters, then my screen bleeps to black, then no signal, and i can't get my computer to boot into bios unless I unplug the Power cord for a few seconds.... I have 10.5.5 on another partition and another Hd with Win7.Id like to get this working today seeing as how tomorro is 4/20 ha... Any thoughts/help would be fantastic....

Jack

EVGA 680i SLI LT

Core 2 duo 2.4 GHz

500gb sata hd

1T sata hd

Pata LG dvd/cd Drive

8Gb ddr2 ram

Hello all,

I've been trying to follow part F. on this extremely helpful guide. I get snow leopard to install but when i try to boot the partition, is says loading Mach kernel in slightly large letters, then my screen bleeps to black, then no signal, and i can't get my computer to boot into bios unless I unplug the Power cord for a few seconds.... I have 10.5.5 on another partition and another Hd with Win7.Id like to get this working today seeing as how tomorro is 4/20 ha... Any thoughts/help would be fantastic....

Jack

EVGA 680i SLI LT

Core 2 duo 2.4 GHz

500gb sata hd

1T sata hd

Pata LG dvd/cd Drive

8Gb ddr2 ram

What Kernel Flags are you using in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra?

What happens when you boot with -v -f -x?

What is your video card brand/model and VRAM amount?

Did you put its graphics string under device-properties in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra?

Did you try your RTC patched DSDT.aml file in Leopard to check that it is OK?

What kexts have you got in /Extra/Extensions?

What Kernel Flags are you using in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra?

What happens when you boot with -v -f -x?

What is your video card brand/model and VRAM amount?

Did you put its graphics string under device-properties in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra?

Did you try your RTC patched DSDT.aml file in Leopard to check that it is OK?

What kexts have you got in /Extra/Extensions?

Wow, Verdant, first of all you're the man for writing this extremely detailed guide.

1.Im using Chameleon 2 rc3 with rc3 boot file, and i only have arch=i386 in com.Boot.plist.extra

2.Seriously nothing happens.... it says loading Mach_kernal and then screen dies and goes to signal, ill post a video if the problem persists after i redo my dsdt.aml

3.EVGA 8800 gts 320 mb

4. yes, i used Efi studio 1.1 and put my string between the "Strings" under device properties

5. I did not try my RTC patched DSDT.aml file, how would i do this?

6.screenshot

post-496431-1271726781_thumb.png

post-496431-1271726812_thumb.png

WOW im an IDIOT

for anyone who cares what happened, and so they don't run into the same dumb mistake, this is what i did:

I had two partitions, "Snow Leopard" and "Leopard"

on my 10.5.5, i had Chameleon v2 RC1 and on SL i had rc3, but my bios would always use RC1 as the default.

All i did was install RC4 to My leo partition and it booted right up! :P

All i need is sound and im sure thats an easy fix.

thanx everyone for the support,

Happy 4/20 in a few

Jack

@ jz007

Glad you found the guide gave sufficient detail to enable you to follow it....... :)

Well done on getting the problem sorted.......an earlier/alternative method based on Chameleon 2.0 RC3 + PC_EFI v10.3 boot file is detailed in Part I of my guide........ :D

It preceeded your demonstration of Chameleon 2.0 RC4 fixing the issue but obviously in the first instance, people should simply use Chameleon 2.0 RC4 on their Leopard volume to see if it works for them too.......if not, they can follow Part I of my guide........ :)

AFAIK your audio chipset is a Realtek ALC885........try VoodooHDA initially, otherwise use a patched DSDT with a legacy (info.plist only) ALC885 kext.......

Hello everyone... I have been researching installing 10.6 on my pc for a while now off and on. I just recently found this post.

I downloaded the nforceboot123.iso and burned it to a disc. Went through the process, but when I try to boot into the disc I get "This mode not support" on my Monitor.

This is of course not an issues with the computer or your software, but I need to know how I can change the resolution or refresh rate.

XFX Nforce i680

Nvidia 8800 GS

4gb RAM

DVD (ide)

1.5TB HDD (sata)

Q6600 Processor

Hello everyone... I have been researching installing 10.6 on my pc for a while now off and on. I just recently found this post.

I downloaded the nforceboot123.iso and burned it to a disc. Went through the process, but when I try to boot into the disc I get "This mode not support" on my Monitor.

This is of course not an issues with the computer or your software, but I need to know how I can change the resolution or refresh rate.

XFX Nforce i680

Nvidia 8800 GS

4gb RAM

DVD (ide)

1.5TB HDD (sata)

Q6600 Processor

-------------------------UPDATE

I am a moron and did not try the S-video out. Now I can see it.

Nice lizard graphic by the way...

Verdant,

You are the man with the plan, no joke. VoodooHda works no problem. Today is 4/20 and i love my macintosh now that it has sound thanks to you....just skipped school and am listening to music. Thanks for ALL the help! NFORCE4LIFE

Jack

Verdant,

You are the man with the plan, no joke. VoodooHda works no problem. Today is 4/20 and i love my macintosh now that it has sound thanks to you....just skipped school and am listening to music. Thanks for ALL the help! NFORCE4LIFE

Jack

No problem..........glad to help..... just don't blame me for your greater enjoyment of Mac OS X than school.......nor when you spend money on a real Mac as soon as you can afford to.......LOL

I updated my SL to 10.6.3 from 10.6.2 on xfx 680i LT SLI. Installation was successful,but i am getting kernel panic ... The Error is version mis-match between kernel and cpu pm. I am using the default AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext, and not using any sleepenabler and NullCPUPM kexts..

Help me out without using NullCPUPM kext... Thanks in advance...

Verdant,

I have the same board as you:

Asus p5n32-e sli plus with a q6600. No overclock. (have tot do it). I use bios 1104, read somewhere above that you suggest version 0803, maybe a solution for my problems below?

, and also a slow boottime. I cloned SL to my SSD drive, but I still have the slow boottime. Is it possible to change this to the famous 18 sec. boottime? (normaal SSD boottime)?

2e question, i got lots of famous neverending ball time freezes. I changed my kernel flag to the debug mode today to see what's wrong. Is there something wrong with the 6.2.3 install? do i have to change things? here is my .plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>DSDT.aml</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1900x1200x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 -v debug=0x100</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>fe0300000100000001000000f20300001500000002010c00d041030a010000000101060000030

101060000007fff04003a000000400032002c0068007700730065006e0073006f0072002d0070006

00720061006d0073002d00760065007200730069006f006e00000008000000000000022200000040

032002c006400650076006900630065005f0074007900700065000000120000004e5644412c67707

2d64696f64650e0000004e00560050004d0000002000000001000000000000000000000000000000

000000000000000000000001e00000072006f006d002d007200650076006900730069006f006e000

00340000004e7669646961204765466f7263652038383030204754205b4739325d204f70656e474c

0456e67696e65205b4546495d100000004e005600430041005000000018000000040000000000030

0c000000000000070000000022000000400032002c002300730069007a0065002d00630065006c00

c0073000000080000000000000022000000400030002c006400650076006900630065005f0074007

007000650000000b000000646973706c6179100000006d006f00640065006c000000200000004e76

9646961204765466f7263652038383030204754205b4739325d14000000400030002c006e0061006

d

0065000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d4120000000400032002c0063006f006d0070

061007400690062006c0065000000160000004e5644412c73656e736f722d706172656e741400000

400031002c006e0061006d0065000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d42120000004000

2002c00720065006700000008000000000000021c0000006400650076006900630065005f0074007

00700065000000100000004e5644412c4765466f72636520000000400031002c0063006f006d0070

061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d616326000000400032002c00230

6100640072006500730073002d00630065006c006c007300000008000000000000010e0000006e00

1006d00650000000f0000004e5644412c506172656e7422000000400031002c00640065007600690

630065005f00740079007000650000000b000000646973706c617920000000400030002c0063006f

06d00700061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d6163220000005600520

41004d002c0074006f00740061006c00730069007a00650000000800000000000020360000004000

2002c00680077006300740072006c002d0070006100720061006d0073002d0076006500720073006

006f006e000000080000000000000214000000400032002c006e0061006d00650000001100000073

56e736f722d706172656e74</string>

</dict>

</plist>

i use the following kext:

/extra/extensions/

ad1998b.fix.kext

applnforata.kext

applenfoce.slash.kext

evoreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

fakesmc.v2.kext

ionetworkingfamily.kext

legacapplertc.kext

nforcelan.kext

nullcpupowermaangement.kext

sleepenabler.kext

after using carbon clone copy i used myhack 1.0, the list above is a little bit strange, i didn't install all of the kext. maybe i have to remove some? (cause they were copied with the 1.0 installer??)

and is my DSDT also changed by the myhack installer>? how can i check which kext are installed?

Thanks in advanced, you are the topiclord!

I updated my SL to 10.6.3 from 10.6.2 on xfx 680i LT SLI. Installation was successful,but i am getting kernel panic ... The Error is version mis-match between kernel and cpu pm. I am using the default AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext, and not using any sleepenabler and NullCPUPM kexts..

Help me out without using NullCPUPM kext... Thanks in advance...

Here is my AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext version in 10.6.3

<dict>

<key>BuildVersion</key>

<string>6</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>104.3.0</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>104.3.0</string>

<key>ProjectName</key>

<string>AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement</string>

<key>SourceVersion</key>

<string>1040300</string>

</dict>

</plist>

versus

<key>BuildVersion</key>

<string>43</string>

<string>96.0.0</string>

<string>96.0.0</string>

<key>ProjectName</key>

<key>SourceVersion</key>

<string>960000</string>

</dict>

</plist>

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext version in 10.6.2........and 10.6.3 kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 10.3.0

If you only have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement in /System/Library/Extensions/ and not also in /Extra/Extensions/ it would have been updated at the same time as the kernel and loaded on bootup.......

BTW why do you not want to use the NullCPUPM kext in /Extra/Extensions/.....?

Verdant,

I have the same board as you:

Asus p5n32-e sli plus with a q6600. No overclock. (have tot do it). I use bios 1104, read somewhere above that you suggest version 0803, maybe a solution for my problems below?

, and also a slow boottime. I cloned SL to my SSD drive, but I still have the slow boottime. Is it possible to change this to the famous 18 sec. boottime? (normaal SSD boottime)?

2e question, i got lots of famous neverending ball time freezes. I changed my kernel flag to the debug mode today to see what's wrong. Is there something wrong with the 6.2.3 install? do i have to change things? here is my .plist:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>DSDT</key>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1900x1200x32</string>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=i386 -v debug=0x100</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<string>fe0300000100000001000000f20300001500000002010c00d041030a010000000101060000030

101060000007fff04003a000000400032002c0068007700730065006e0073006f0072002d0070006

00720061006d0073002d00760065007200730069006f006e00000008000000000000022200000040

032002c006400650076006900630065005f0074007900700065000000120000004e5644412c67707

2d64696f64650e0000004e00560050004d0000002000000001000000000000000000000000000000

000000000000000000000001e00000072006f006d002d007200650076006900730069006f006e000

00340000004e7669646961204765466f7263652038383030204754205b4739325d204f70656e474c

0456e67696e65205b4546495d100000004e005600430041005000000018000000040000000000030

0c000000000000070000000022000000400032002c002300730069007a0065002d00630065006c00

c0073000000080000000000000022000000400030002c006400650076006900630065005f0074007

007000650000000b000000646973706c6179100000006d006f00640065006c000000200000004e76

9646961204765466f7263652038383030204754205b4739325d14000000400030002c006e0061006

d

0065000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d4120000000400032002c0063006f006d0070

061007400690062006c0065000000160000004e5644412c73656e736f722d706172656e741400000

400031002c006e0061006d0065000000120000004e5644412c446973706c61792d42120000004000

2002c00720065006700000008000000000000021c0000006400650076006900630065005f0074007

00700065000000100000004e5644412c4765466f72636520000000400031002c0063006f006d0070

061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d616326000000400032002c00230

6100640072006500730073002d00630065006c006c007300000008000000000000010e0000006e00

1006d00650000000f0000004e5644412c506172656e7422000000400031002c00640065007600690

630065005f00740079007000650000000b000000646973706c617920000000400030002c0063006f

06d00700061007400690062006c00650000000e0000004e5644412c4e564d6163220000005600520

41004d002c0074006f00740061006c00730069007a00650000000800000000000020360000004000

2002c00680077006300740072006c002d0070006100720061006d0073002d0076006500720073006

006f006e000000080000000000000214000000400032002c006e0061006d00650000001100000073

56e736f722d706172656e74</string>

</dict>

</plist>

i use the following kext:

/extra/extensions/

ad1998b.fix.kext

applnforata.kext

applenfoce.slash.kext

evoreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

fakesmc.v2.kext

ionetworkingfamily.kext

legacapplertc.kext

nforcelan.kext

nullcpupowermaangement.kext

sleepenabler.kext

after using carbon clone copy i used myhack 1.0, the list above is a little bit strange, i didn't install all of the kext. maybe i have to remove some? (cause they were copied with the 1.0 installer??)

and is my DSDT also changed by the myhack installer>? how can i check which kext are installed?

Thanks in advanced, you are the topiclord!

As for BIOS, using the 0803 BIOS will enable overclocking with the Q6600 G0 SLACR CPU

As for your problems:

If you compare yours with my com.apple.Boot.plist:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string></string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<string>6c020000010000000..........65205b4546495d</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string></string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string></string>

</dict>

</plist>

you will see that you are using both

<string>yes</string>

and

<string>fe030000010000001000000f2.......06172656e74</string>

You should use EITHER one, not both.......also why are you using:

<key>DSDT</key>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

BTW you can try debug=0x144 instead of debug=0x144

If you patch your DSDT.aml file as explained in post #1 in this thread and put it in the / directory, you will not need legacapplertc.kext, and as for other kexts in /Extra/Extensions/, you need only:

ad1998b.fix.kext

applenforce.slash.kext

evoreboot.kext

fakesmc.v2.kext

ionetworkingfamily.kext

nforcelan.kext

nullcpupowermanagement.kext

To decrease the bootup time, also include nForceIOATAFamily.kext.........see post #1 Part K Item 3.......if you are not using Chameleon 2.0 RC4, then also include platformuuid.kext.......or, include it anyhow........also sleepenabler.kext does not work on nForce chipset MOBOs.....

i did all the steps above, but my ethernet (onboard) is not working any more? do i have to rename fakesmc.v2 to fakesmc or something like that?

i installed using myhacking 1.0, can that be the problem?

update. there is something strange, the smbios isn't loaded anymore, so i have a 1.6 quadcore xeon instead of a 2.4 q6600, my memory is also 667 instead of 800.

how to solve this|"?

update: after renaming FakeSMC v2 to FakeSMC.text my ethernet is working again. why do i have to do this?

Nice guide!!!!! thanks for posting it.

Verdant did/is doing a superb job :)

verdant, your downgrade your bios to 0803, i can't find this release on the downloadsite of asus, only the 0805 version. Do you refer to this bios file?

Here is my AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext version in 10.6.3

<dict>

<key>BuildVersion</key>

<string>6</string>

<string>104.3.0</string>

<string>104.3.0</string>

<key>ProjectName</key>

<key>SourceVersion</key>

<string>1040300</string>

</dict>

</plist>

versus

<key>BuildVersion</key>

<string>43</string>

<string>96.0.0</string>

<string>96.0.0</string>

<key>ProjectName</key>

<key>SourceVersion</key>

<string>960000</string>

</dict>

</plist>

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext version in 10.6.2........and 10.6.3 kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 10.3.0

If you only have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement in /System/Library/Extensions/ and not also in /Extra/Extensions/ it would have been updated at the same time as the kernel and loaded on bootup.......

BTW why do you not want to use the NullCPUPM kext in /Extra/Extensions/.....?

i didnt use any NullCPUPM for 10.6.2, it worked fine. but now i am getting kernel panic. I just checked the version.plist for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, it was same as yours.

i didnt use any NullCPUPM for 10.6.2, it worked fine. but now i am getting kernel panic. I just checked the version.plist for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, it was same as yours.

Hey verdant, i got it working now i booted using chameleon 2.0 RC4 bootloader before that i was trying with RC3. Even i am not using pmVersion in flags and NO NullCPUPM kext.... ;)

I just want to confirm something... So If I want to use installation method F with the nforceboot123.iso, does this mean I have to have mac in order to prepare the Hard drive?

So I took my 1.5TB HDD and put it in an enclosure, then took my mac and formatted the drive as OSX extended. I then need to download the programs and prepare the External HDD so that 10.6 can be installed on it when I have it connected to the computer through SATA (internally)?

Nice guide!!!!! thanks for posting it.

Glad you like it........ :D

Hey verdant, i got it working now i booted using chameleon 2.0 RC4 bootloader before that i was trying with RC3. Even i am not using pmVersion in flags and NO NullCPUPM kext.... :P

Glad you got it sorted.......I too can run without the NullCPUPM kext but put it back just in case it helps with CPU temperature control........

I just want to confirm something... So If I want to use installation method F with the nforceboot123.iso, does this mean I have to have mac in order to prepare the Hard drive?

So I took my 1.5TB HDD and put it in an enclosure, then took my mac and formatted the drive as OSX extended. I then need to download the programs and prepare the External HDD so that 10.6 can be installed on it when I have it connected to the computer through SATA (internally)?

For convenience, you need access to OS X Leopard on an Intel Mac to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for SL [Part B]

2. Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for your target SL OS X volume

3. Establish OS X target HDD ownership (Part F)

4. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card (Part F)

5. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (or RC4 or RC5) onto your target SL OS X volume and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

then follow Part F......

However, it can be done without a Mac but the process is more convoluted.........using GParted, or Parted Magic, to partition/format a HDD volume, TransMac for copying kexts etc. across.....

i did all the steps above, but my ethernet (onboard) is not working any more? do i have to rename fakesmc.v2 to fakesmc or something like that?

i installed using myhacking 1.0, can that be the problem?

update. there is something strange, the smbios isn't loaded anymore, so i have a 1.6 quadcore xeon instead of a 2.4 q6600, my memory is also 667 instead of 800.

how to solve this|"?

update: after renaming FakeSMC v2 to FakeSMC.text my ethernet is working again. why do i have to do this?

Not sure about having to rename FakeSMC v2 to FakeSMC.text.........in my two Snow Leopard OS X systems, I am using kexts named as fakesmc.V2.kext and fakesmc.V2.5.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ without any problems........but I am not sure how it would affect onboard LAN operation.......see this post on how I set up my nForceLAN.........

Have you tried the SMBIOS.plist in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3.........?

I have PM'd you the 0803 BIOS versions I have for you to try.........also see my first blog entry........

Glad you like it........ ;)

Glad you got it sorted.......I too can run without the NullCPUPM kext but put it back just in case it helps with CPU temperature control........

For convenience, you need access to OS X Leopard on an Intel Mac to:

1. Generate a RTC patched DSDT.aml file for SL [Part B]

2. Use Disk Utility to get the UUID for your target SL OS X volume

3. Establish OS X target HDD ownership (Part F)

4. Run EFIStudio or OSx86Tools to generate the graphics string for your graphics card (Part F)

5. Install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 (or RC4 or RC5) onto your target SL OS X volume and in the process generate a /Extra directory.....

then follow Part F......

However, it can be done without a Mac but the process is more convoluted.........using GParted, or Parted Magic, to partition/format a HDD volume, TransMac for copying kexts etc. across.....

Not sure about having to rename FakeSMC v2 to FakeSMC.text.........in my two Snow Leopard OS X systems, I am using kexts named as fakesmc.V2.kext and fakesmc.V2.5.kext in /Extra/Extensions/ without any problems........but I am not sure how it would affect onboard LAN operation.......

Have you tried the SMBIOS.plist in my Snow_Support_Files_v2.3.........?

this is the content of the SMBIOS_MacPRo21.plist om the /list

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosvendor</key>

<string>Apple Inc.</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>MP21.88Z.005C.B01.0608221120</string>

<key>SMbiosdate</key>

<string>04/01/2008</string>

<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>

<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-F4208DC8</string>