nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Sorry to hear that >.<

I have always been rather reluctant to interconnect any target mode mac to anything but another mac.

On a side note, i have heard of people making 6-6 pin firewire cables with the two power wires cut for that sort of thing. I remember reading about it in the AASP mailing list.

Some of my PCI firewire cards have 6 pin plugs but a visual examination reveals that the power leads aren't even hooked up! (bare space on the board for a floppy power connector). I really wish vendors would follow spec. It would almost make life easier if they put 4 pin ports on anything that isn't going to handle the full range of the spec :/

What you said is interesting.......I wonder if Firewire passive data transfer cables can be purchased?

Hi verdant

My spec is:

im installing from OSX DVD10.6 10a432 USB Installer.

OSX ideneb 10.5.4 is currently installed as my OS X Hack system.

Everything on my sig is working

I am installing 10.6 on a SATA HDD using AnV applenforce kext

I did everything you said but it still kernel panic.

do you know anymore solutions?

Hi verdant

My spec is:

im installing from OSX DVD10.6 10a432 USB Installer.

OSX ideneb 10.5.4 is currently installed as my OS X Hack system.

Everything on my sig is working

I am installing 10.6 on a SATA HDD using AnV applenforce kext

I did everything you said but it still kernel panic.

do you know anymore solutions?

1. I assume you have set your OS X target HDD ownership to root as described in post #1........

2. At present, I am not certain what else to suggest, apart from installing a fresh SL mach_kernel file onto your USB flash drive installer......

3. You could also see if taking the mach_kernel you install onto your USB flash drive installer from the OSX DVD 10.6 10a432 image file itself makes any difference.......unless there is a problem with the image file.....

BB!!!!!!!!! na Paz Cara. I got snow Leo working properly than to verdant. LoL except for sleep of course! LoL falamos irmão! Liga no msn quando tenha o tempo.

Hey Maj.

Glad to read posts from you. Mainly now that you're running 10.6.2... niiiiiice... have updated to 10.6.3 already? I did. System seems faster than in 6.2...

Yeah mate. Verdant is the guy. He knows everything about this. His is my master. :) I owe him a lot.

I'm always connected to MSN but lately I'm a little busy with work and right now the raining weather is a little bit scary.

You may have seen how Rio de Janeiro is... the rain is start to take over most of the states in Brasil. But everything is gonna be OK.

Cheers,

bb.

@verdant.

Yeah mate. I'm around here again.

I'll check the thread more often so I can be familiarized again with nForce issues on installing OS X so I can help you with newbies. :unsure:

Cheers,

bb.

Hey Maj.

Glad to read posts from you. Mainly now that you're running 10.6.2... niiiiiice... have updated to 10.6.3 already? I did. System seems faster than in 6.2...

Yeah mate. Verdant is the guy. He knows everything about this. His is my master. :) I owe him a lot.

I'm always connected to MSN but lately I'm a little busy with work and right now the raining weather is a little bit scary.

You may have seen how Rio de Janeiro is... the rain is start to take over most of the states in Brasil. But everything is gonna be OK.

Cheers,

bb.

@verdant.

Yeah mate. I'm around here again.

I'll check the thread more often so I can be familiarized again with nForce issues on installing OS X so I can help you with newbies. :)

Cheers,

bb.

Thanks bb for the offer of help........I will be directing some PMs to you, as my PM box is filling every 2nd or 3rd day with PMs from newbies.......the comments on my Snow Leopard thread range from "I am very confused.....I am a beginner....." at one end.....to "exquisitely detailed guide" at the other end, with "thanks for the great guide" in the middle......I cannot win....... :) ......LOL.....

This is because some have yet to even install OS X Leopard on their nForce MOBO and so understand fully the nForce issues before wanting to jump straight to Snow Leopard, without ever having had a working Leopard OS X system on their PC (which is the easiest path to understanding and installing Snow Leopard)...... :unsure:

Also, every newbie has a different level of starting knowledge ranging from understanding post #1 in each of my nForce threads to not understanding even the basic terminology of OS X.......this is why I am spending so much time on step-by-step PMs.......... :)

That is why I felt compelled to write my new Hazard Snow Leopard distro Install Guide in my blog for those who do not want to learn with Leopard first....... ;)

What you said is interesting.......I wonder if Firewire passive data transfer cables can be purchased?

It would seem that you can. :)

Firewire Power Isolation Cable.

http://www.abelcine.com/store/FireWire-139...-Port-Isolator/

shorter version

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-cfe-66-np06.html (i think i am simply going to purchase one of these)

These port isolation cables seem to be intended specifically for isolating powered-hubs from the host interface.

Firewiredepot.com used to sell a little dongle-adaptor that did the same thing, but they are sadly no longer in business.

The same effect can be achieved by using a 6-4 pin plug adaptor together with a 4-6 pin cable.

In my questing for issues to my solution, i also noticed that Apple states that their firewire ports have a set of self-resetting fuses. --> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58207

misc apple firewire info.

Anyway, i've filled the thread with enough firewire spam. Back to nforce land with me :unsure:

It would seem that you can. :D

Firewire Power Isolation Cable.

http://www.abelcine.com/store/FireWire-139...-Port-Isolator/

shorter version

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-cfe-66-np06.html (i think i am simply going to purchase one of these)

These port isolation cables seem to be intended specifically for isolating powered-hubs from the host interface.

Firewiredepot.com used to sell a little dongle-adaptor that did the same thing, but they are sadly no longer in business.

The same effect can be achieved by using a 6-4 pin plug adaptor together with a 4-6 pin cable.

In my questing for issues to my solution, i also noticed that Apple states that their firewire ports have a set of self-resetting fuses. --> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58207

misc apple firewire info.

Anyway, i've filled the thread with enough firewire spam. Back to nforce land with me :D

Another example of Apple doing Firewire properly.......!

Here is another Firewire port isolator cable adapter seller.......at least for those living Stateside, like yourself, this is an easy off-the shelf solution.........

Nick, I do not regard your Firewire posts as spamming, or unacceptably off-topic, because it is a connectivity issue that is relevant to nForce MOBOs with Firewire port(s), especially if, at any point, one may wish to connect the Hackintosh PC to any external powered device with a Firewire port, e.g. PowerMac G3/G4/G5 and/or Intel MacPro etc via Firewire, digicams, audio mixers, etc.......thanks for highlighting the issue....... ;)

Thanks bb for the offer of help........I will be directing some PMs to you, as my PM box is filling every 2nd or 3rd day with PMs from newbies.......the comments on my Snow Leopard thread range from "I am very confused.....I am a beginner....." at one end.....to "exquisitely detailed guide" at the other end, with "thanks for the great guide" in the middle......I cannot win....... :) ......LOL.....

This is because some have yet to even install OS X Leopard on their nForce MOBO and so understand fully the nForce issues before wanting to jump straight to Snow Leopard, without ever having had a working Leopard OS X system on their PC (which is the easiest path to understanding and installing Snow Leopard)...... :rolleyes:

Also, every newbie has a different level of starting knowledge ranging from understanding post #1 in each of my nForce threads to not understanding even the basic terminology of OS X.......this is why I am spending so much time on step-by-step PMs.......... :D

That is why I felt compelled to write my new Hazard Snow Leopard distro Install Guide in my blog for those who do not want to learn with Leopard first....... :angel:

Well, I understand that people want to learn more about OS X, but trying to instal Leopard nowadays for me seems to be a step back. :)

This method for installing Snow Leopard is pretty much faster and easier than the used with Leopard. I really don't know why we still have people trying this, but, let's help this lost souls. LOL !!!

If you can PM a list of the most frequent issues newbies face, I'll be able to study how to solve this problems and help them with it.

Cheers,

bb.

Well, I understand that people want to learn more about OS X, but trying to instal Leopard nowadays for me seems to be a step back. :D

This method for installing Snow Leopard is pretty much faster and easier than the used with Leopard. I really don't know why we still have people trying this, but, let's help this lost souls. LOL !!!

If you can PM a list of the most frequent issues newbies face, I'll be able to study how to solve this problems and help them with it.

Cheers,

bb.

Hi bb,

Unless you are able to do a full vanilla install, say with only fakesmc and OHR or EvOReboot in /Extra/Extensions, then without having installed and run Leopard, you will not know what non-Apple kexts (including Info.plist-only, i.e. legacy kexts) you need to use to get SATA, network and audio etc. functioning on your MOBO......plus BIOS DSDT modding is a scary topic for beginners.....

With this in mind I will PM you now....... :rolleyes:

Has anyone gotten estata drives to mount correctly? Mine never show up when I plug them in. If plug them in before turning the computer on and then boot up OSX I get a message asking me to initialize the drive once I reach the desktop.

Has anyone gotten estata drives to mount correctly? Mine never show up when I plug them in. If plug them in before turning the computer on and then boot up OSX I get a message asking me to initialize the drive once I reach the desktop.

Yes, my eSATA HDD Enclosures are directly mountable and bootable into OS X.......

Ok, I got the drive to mount. It was an issue with the drive but drive will only mount if I plug it in and power it on before I boot into OSX. I can eject it but then I need to reboot in order to remount the drive. Logging on and off again does not remount the drive.

Ok, I got the drive to mount. It was an issue with the drive but drive will only mount if I plug it in and power it on before I boot into OSX. I can eject it but then I need to reboot in order to remount the drive. Logging on and off again does not remount the drive.

I am assuming that it is in an external eSATA enclosure........

My eSATA/USB 2.0 dual HDD enclosure uses the Silicon Image SiI5744 chipset, which is a low-cost, single-chip solution for digital home and small office storage appliances. This SteelVine® Storage Processor connects a USB 2.0 or 3 Gbps eSATA host port to two 3 Gbps eSATA Gen2m device ports. Features of the SiI5744 include advanced RAID modes, drive locking, and single-button backup.

post-200327-1270930109_thumb.jpg

My other 4 individual eSATA/USB 2.0 single HDD enclosures use the JMicron JM20336 chipset.....

What is your enclosure chipset?

Further info: BTW I just use Disk Utility to mount/unmount my eSATA HDDs.......

Hey Verdant, I see you're busy helping other people too so I'll make this quick. I would randomly get stalled at the loading screen when it's loading voodoohda.....I installed it with kext helper 7. Was just wondering if you know anything about it, if not, it's ok too.

I am assuming that it is in an external eSATA enclosure........

My eSATA/USB 2.0 dual HDD enclosure uses the Silicon Image SiI5744 chipset, which is a low-cost, single-chip solution for digital home and small office storage appliances. This SteelVine® Storage Processor connects a USB 2.0 or 3 Gbps eSATA host port to two 3 Gbps eSATA Gen2m device ports. Features of the SiI5744 include advanced RAID modes, drive locking, and single-button backup.

post-200327-1270930109_thumb.jpg

My other 4 individual eSATA/USB 2.0 single HDD enclosures use the JMicron JM20336 chipset.....

What is your enclosure chipset?

Further info: BTW I just use Disk Utility to mount/unmount my eSATA HDDs.......

I have two external hard drives with esata. Here are links to them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7c295fa465d76a4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822207017

They are apparently both fully Mac compatible........and you should be able to unmount the volume(s) on the HDDs by right-clicking on the volume icon or by 'dag and dropping' to Trash to eject the volume(s) and then remount the volume(s) via Disk Utility, as I am able to........however, my eSATA HDD volumes are all HFS+ formatted.......are yours NTFS formatted........it should not matter but is worth knowing.......

Hey Verdant, I see you're busy helping other people too so I'll make this quick. I would randomly get stalled at the loading screen when it's loading voodoohda.....I installed it with kext helper 7. Was just wondering if you know anything about it, if not, it's ok too.

Kext Helper b7 is basically a GUI for running the following Terminal commands:

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/
touch /System/Library/Extensions
exit
sudo -k

I would repair ownership and permissions of the Extensions folder using Conti's pfix v3.0 or cVAD's Kext Utility v2.4.2.......and if you still have a problem when it loads, it suggests a VoodooHDA issue......then post the -v bootscreen so that i can see what is happening as VoodooHDA is loaded.....

The G-raid was HFS+ and the other was fat32. I never tried remounting from Disk Utility. I would just unplug them and plug them back in because firewire and USB work like that. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

They are apparently both fully Mac compatible........and you should be able to unmount the volume(s) on the HDDs by right-clicking on the volume icon or by 'dag and dropping' to Trash to eject the volume(s) and then remount the volume(s) via Disk Utility, as I am able to........however, my eSATA HDD volumes are all HFS+ formatted.......are yours NTFS formatted........it should not matter but is worth knowing.......

exit
sudo -k

I would repair ownership and permissions of the Extensions folder using Conti's pfix v3.0 or cVAD's Kext Utility v2.4.2.......and if you still have a problem when it loads, it suggests a VoodooHDA issue......then post the -v bootscreen so that i can see what is happening as VoodooHDA is loaded.....

The G-raid was HFS+ and the other was fat32. I never tried remounting from Disk Utility. I would just unplug them and plug them back in because firewire and USB work like that. I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Since FAT32 is natural read/write in OS X, my guess is that the "hot plugging" is the cause of your problems........you are not alone as smolloy commented in Linux Forums on 11-19-2006:

How hot-pluggable are SATA drives?

I have a system built out of four SATA drives -- two main drives, and two backups. One of the backup drives is permanently mounted, and I backup my system to it every night. The other backup drive is on a neat little removable 5.25inch caddy, that allows me to copy the backup to it, switch it off and slide it out, in order to take it into work to protect me against the possibility of my house burning down.

My question is about hot-plugging this drive. I am able to mount it and write to it if I boot the computer with the drive connected. I then unmount it and physically remove it. However, if I re-insert it I am not able to mount it again. I just get a complaint that "special drive /dev/sdd1 doesn't exist". To get the system to recognise that the drive is there I have to reboot.

Since FAT32 is natural read/write in OS X, my guess is that the "hot plugging" is the cause of your problems........you are not alone as smolloy commented in Linux Forums on 11-19-2006:

Hot plugging works fine for my in my Windows 7 partition if that matter at all.

Hot plugging works fine for my in my Windows 7 partition if that matter at all.

That shows that it is not just a hardware but also a software-related issue.......remember PC MOBOs BIOS and MOBO hardware/component choices, and hence their operation are invariably optimised for Windows, rather than for Linux and OS X operation.........see here......

That shows that it is not just a hardware but also a software-related issue.......remember PC MOBOs BIOS and MOBO hardware/component choices, and hence their operation are invariably optimised for Windows, rather than for Linux and OS X operation.........see here.....

Ok, I guess I have to live with the rebooting to swap drive...now back to dealing with that occasional spinning ball issue. Thanks

Ok, I guess I have to live with the rebooting to swap drive...now back to dealing with that occasional spinning ball issue. Thanks

Does Disk Utility unmounting/mounting not work for you then......? Also, I do not know how many plugging/unplugging cycles your eSATA connectors were designed to take.....?

UPDATE: Some Wikipedia info:

As their standard interface, SATA controllers use the AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface), allowing advanced features of SATA such as hotplug and native command queuing (NCQ). If AHCI is not enabled by the motherboard and chipset, SATA controllers typically operate in "IDE emulation" mode which does not allow features of devices to be accessed if the ATA/IDE standard does not support them.

Windows device drivers that are labeled as SATA are often running in IDE emulation mode unless they explicitly state that they are AHCI mode or in RAID mode. Modern versions of Microsoft Windows, FreeBSD, Linux with kernel version 2.6.19 onward,[5] as well as Solaris and OpenSolaris include support for AHCI, but older OSes such as Windows XP do not. Even in those instances a proprietary driver may have been created for a specific chipset, such as Intels.[6http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#cite_note-5

eSATA provides a variant of SATA meant for external connectivity.......

....The external connector and cable have a design-life of over five thousand insertions and removals, while the internal connector is only specified to withstand fifty.

Firewire can be problematic.......the Southbridge MCP chipset controls all the device I/O such as USB, SATA, PATA and Firewire.......what is your MOBO's Firewire chipset?......is it TI or VIA for example? You can use OSxTools to install lspci and find out.....or DPCIManager.....

UPDATE:

Information from M-Audio FireWire Series FAQ's

DPCIManager says my on board fire wire controller is a Texas Instruments.

As for mounting my Esata drives in Disk Utility, it doesn't even show up in there unless I have them connected before I boot into OSX but when doing so I can mount and unmout my drive through there. i have no idea how many cycles they can take, i didn't even know there was a limit

Because it only happens randomly, I'll try to post it when I can.

But do you think I should place VoodooHDA kext in the /Extra folder instead of /System/Library/Extenstions/ folder? And thanks for the apps.

exit
sudo -k