nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

Hi,

Many thanks for this brilliant Guide :)

I have a 750i p5n-D

Q6600

4GB ram

with a BFG 8800GTS

I installed snow leopard and successfully updated to 10.6.1 after following this guide only problems are i cant use front panel audio mic and headphone or just normal mic and cant sleep....

but other than that its working perfect!

any help on the sleep would be appreciated

cheers.

Hi,

Many thanks for this brilliant Guide :D

I have a 750i p5n-D

Q6600

4GB ram

with a BFG 8800GTS

I installed snow leopard and successfully updated to 10.6.1 after following this guide only problems are i cant use front panel audio mic and headphone or just normal mic and cant sleep....

but other than that its working perfect!

any help on the sleep would be appreciated

cheers.

Glad to help and that you like my guide, i.e. found it useful...... ;)

As for sleep, I have not got any time at present (unfortunately) to sit down and sort out the DSDT on my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus 650i nForce chipset MOBO to enable sleep on it because of the demands of my "real" life........and hence be in a position to help others with nForce chipset MOBOs do the same..... :P

But if you want to make a start now, then Master Chief is the guy to follow.....go here and here to do that..... :(

EVGA 680i SLI

Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

2 GB RAM

XFX 8800 GTX 768MB

WD 150GB Raptor

Any idea how to fix "Still waiting for root device"? It seems like it indefinitely waits on the SL HDD.

I used a USB thumb drive to install on a GPT/HFS+ SATA drive. Installation completes successfully but during the first boot after installation, I get "Still waiting for root device".

-I triple checked the UUID in /Extra/SMBIOS.plist and /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist

-I used Dr. Hurt's unofficial installer to install Chameleon RC3 completely, booting with arch=i386

-I tried different versions of AppleNForceATA.kext

Am I doing it wrong?

EDIT: I used AppleNForceATA.kext from MeDevil's AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST.zip, rebuilt kext caches in single user mode, and successfully booted into SL. Onboard LAN does not seem to be working yet, so I'll try messing with nForceLAN.kext.

To do:

-Onboard LAN

-Onboard Audio

-8800GTX 768MB at 2560x1600

Thank you verdant and the developers who made this possible. No doubt a lot of time was invested. Greatly appreciated.

BTW f*ck Psystar.

EVGA 680i SLI

Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

2 GB RAM

XFX 8800 GTX 768MB

WD 150GB Raptor

Any idea how to fix "Still waiting for root device"? It seems like it indefinitely waits on the SL HDD.

I used a USB thumb drive to install on a GPT/HFS+ SATA drive. Installation completes successfully but during the first boot after installation, I get "Still waiting for root device".

-I triple checked the UUID in /Extra/SMBIOS.plist and /Extra/Extensions/PlatformUUID.kext/Contents/Info.plist

-I used Dr. Hurt's unofficial installer to install Chameleon RC3 completely, booting with arch=i386

-I tried different versions of AppleNForceATA.kext

Am I doing it wrong?

EDIT: I used AppleNForceATA.kext from MeDevil's AppleNForceATA.kext.TEST.zip, rebuilt kext caches in single user mode, and successfully booted into SL. Onboard LAN does not seem to be working yet, so I'll try messing with nForceLAN.kext.

To do:

-Onboard LAN

-Onboard Audio

-8800GTX 768MB at 2560x1600

Thank you verdant and the developers who made this possible. No doubt a lot of time was invested. Greatly appreciated.

BTW f*ck Psystar.

Glad to help..... :)

With your SATA DVDRW are you able to burn CDs and DVDs OK?

Glad to help..... :)

With your SATA DVDRW are you able to burn CDs and DVDs OK?

I have not tested the PATA DVDRW yet. I'll try it soon and get back to you.

The PATA DVDRW I'm using is:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D:

Firmware Revision: 1.16

Interconnect: ATAPI

Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)

Cache: 2000 KB

Reads DVD: Yes

CD-Write: -R, -RW

DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW

Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

Also, I picked up a Macsense BT-202 Mini Bluetooth USB Adapter and it works in 10.5.8 and seemingly 10.6.0. I'll test it more once Apple releases Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0 or 10.6.2 (Magic Mouse support)

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 2.1.8f2

Hardware Settings:

osxy:

Address: 00-02-72-14-3e-d1

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Firmware Version: 14 (16384)

Bluetooth Power: On

Discoverable: Yes

HCI Version: 3 ($3)

HCI Revision: 16384 ($4000)

LMP Version: 3 ($3)

LMP Subversion: 17166 ($430e)

Device Type (Major): Computer

Device Type (Complete): Macintosh Desktop

Composite Class Of Device: 3670276 ($380104)

Device Class (Major): 1 ($1)

Device Class (Minor): 1 ($1)

Service Class: 448 ($1c0)

Requires Authentication: No

Services:

Bluetooth File Transfer:

Folder other devices can browse: ~/Public

Requires Authentication: Yes

State: Enabled

Bluetooth File Exchange:

Folder for accepted items: ~/Downloads

When other items are accepted: Ask

When PIM items are accepted: Ask

When receiving items: Prompt for each file

State: Enabled

Devices (Paired, Favorites, etc):

BlackBerry8130:

Name: BlackBerry8130

Address: 00-1c-cc-14-1f-66

Type: Smartphone

Services: Dialup Networking, Advanced Audio, Hands-free, A/V Remote Control TG, BlackBerry Bypass Service P:0x317AC15F R:0x04 V:0x20003, Headset, BlackBerry Desktop Service P:0x317AC15F R:0x04 V:0x20104, Phonebook Access PSE

Paired: Yes

Favorite: Yes

Connected: No

Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio ($3, $c5c)

Incoming Serial Ports:

Serial Port 1:

Name: Bluetooth-PDA-Sync

RFCOMM Channel: 3

Outgoing Serial Ports:

Serial Port 1:

Address: 00-1C-CC-14-1F-66

Name: BlackBerry8130-DialupNe-2

RFCOMM Channel: 3

Serial Port 2:

Address:

Name: Bluetooth-Modem

RFCOMM Channel: 0

Serial Port 3:

Address: 00-1C-CC-14-1F-66

Name: BlackBerry8130-BlackBer-1

RFCOMM Channel: 6

I have not tested the PATA DVDRW yet. I'll try it soon and get back to you.

The PATA DVDRW I'm using is:

Also, I picked up a Macsense BT-202 Mini Bluetooth USB Adapter and it works in 10.5.8 and seemingly 10.6.0. I'll test it more once Apple releases Wireless Mouse Software Update 1.0 or 10.6.2 (Magic Mouse support)

If you have a PATA DVDRW then you should be able to use slashack's AppleNforceATA.kext which will allow to use > 3GB RAM......with a SATA DVDRW you may be forced to use Me Devil's AppleNforceATA_Test.kext and set maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist if you have > 3GB RAM installed......but you may not be able to use the SATA DVDRW to successfully burn CDs/DVDs......

If you have a PATA DVDRW then you should be able to use slashack's AppleNforceATA.kext which will allow to use > 3GB RAM......with a SATA DVDRW you may be forced to use Me Devil's AppleNforceATA_Test.kext and set maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist if you have > 3GB RAM installed......but you may not be able to use the SATA DVDRW to successfully burn CDs/DVDs......

Hrm, I'll try slashack's again. It didn't play nice the first time around. /crossing fingers

Thanks verdant

EDIT:Now using slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext, with Chameleon 2.0 RC3 + netkas's PC EFI v10.5. Successfully updated to 10.6.1!!! I believe my video card is running properly, but how do I know if it's QE/CI/QGL/OCL? The Chess test seems to pass. Is there any other way of verifying?

Thanks

nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 768 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0191

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX OpenGL Engine [EFI]

Displays:

DELL 3007WFP:

Resolution: 2560 x 1600

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Hrm, I'll try slashack's again. It didn't play nice the first time around. /crossing fingers

Thanks verdant

EDIT:Now using slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext, with Chameleon 2.0 RC3 + netkas's PC EFI v10.5. Successfully updated to 10.6.1!!! I believe my video card is running properly, but how do I know if it's QE/CI/QGL/OCL? The Chess test seems to pass. Is there any other way of verifying?

Thanks

Glad it all appears to be working for you.....as for your graphics card, you have CI/QE working if you have a transparent top menu bar........for OpenGL see here.....and for OpenCL see here..... :(

Glad it all appears to be working for you.....as for your graphics card, you have CI/QE working if you have a transparent top menu bar........for OpenGL see here.....and for OpenCL see here..... :D

Great! The OpenCL tool is pretty cool, and I finally understand that only certain apps use Quartz GL. I re-generated the GFX EFI string in SL, and it turned out to be different than the one I generated in L, so I updated the boot.plists. I have QE/CI/OpenCL.

For audio, I'm using VoodooHDA.kext 0.2.2 by the Voodoo team: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,139.0.html

Looks like everything works. Me = :D

You the man, verdant

EDIT: Should I be concerned if I score a higher XBench in 10.5.8 than 10.6.1? It's almost a 30 point difference when tested w/ HDD unchecked/disabled

Great! The OpenCL tool is pretty cool, and I finally understand that only certain apps use Quartz GL. I re-generated the GFX EFI string in SL, and it turned out to be different than the one I generated in L, so I updated the boot.plists. I have QE/CI/OpenCL.

For audio, I'm using VoodooHDA.kext 0.2.2 by the Voodoo team: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,139.0.html

Looks like everything works. Me = :)

You the man, verdant

EDIT: Should I be concerned if I score a higher XBench in 10.5.8 than 10.6.1? It's almost a 30 point difference when tested w/ HDD unchecked/disabled

IMO No.......your subjective feel as to which is faster on your hardware is likely to be more realistic......see here......

Here is a modified voodoohda.kext by slice with fixed nids by me for complete ad1988b support. Everything works, even 7.1 surround (using midi utility). The only things that doesn't work is auto sensing/switching between front headphone e back green line-out, so I kept them separeted. Enjoy ;)

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Here is a modified voodoohda.kext by slice with fixed nids by me for complete ad1988b support. Everything works, even 7.1 surround (using midi utility). The only things that doesn't work is auto sensing/switching between front headphone e back green line-out, so I kept them separeted. Enjoy -_-

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Thanks. I will try it out in /Extra......... :wacko:

Glad to help and that you like my guide, i.e. found it useful...... :)

As for sleep, I have not got any time at present (unfortunately) to sit down and sort out the DSDT on my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus 650i nForce chipset MOBO to enable sleep on it because of the demands of my "real" life........and hence be in a position to help others with nForce chipset MOBOs do the same..... :thumbsup_anim:

But if you want to make a start now, then Master Chief is the guy to follow.....go here and here to do that..... :)

thanks for the reply one other problem i forgot to mention i have a LG sata dvd burner thats being detected by snowlep but it cannot burn files or view dvds that are inserted, it reconises that discs are in the drive but will not show the data... any help appreciated

P.s thanks for the links i will investigate

cheers

thanks for the reply one other problem i forgot to mention i have a LG sata dvd burner thats being detected by snowlep but it cannot burn files or view dvds that are inserted, it reconises that discs are in the drive but will not show the data... any help appreciated

P.s thanks for the links i will investigate

cheers

I assume you are using AppleNForceATA_Test kext by MeDevil with maxmem=3072.........? If not, try it but you have to boot in 32bit mode......

I assume you are using AppleNForceATA_Test kext by MeDevil with maxmem=3072.........? If not, try it but you have to boot in 32bit mode......

I am using that kext already works fine in 64bit and i have 4GB ram showing do u think if i boot into 32bit mode it will work.... okay ill give it a go.

thanks

hi!

i have alc888 and voodoohda make it works BUT:

Mic doesn't work

Front Panel Doesn't work

i tried different kexts all the same

one named all my inputs and outputs but there wasn't a sound at all :wacko:

so any one have a solution

PS:The kext Must be x64 compatible because i work on 64 platform all the time

Thanks!

Hey, has anybody tried the new supernfroceata kext?

Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr46GjLFoHk

This guy claims he has rewritten the applenforceata.kext so that it works on 64 bit kernel.

I tried it yesterday but when booted in verbose I could see it would go into an infinite loop and snow leopard would never start.

After that, I had to boot another Snow Leopard installation I had on my external HDD to fix the main installation, and put back the old slash nforceata kext.

However, I've seen that this kext has worked for some people in other forums, so I think you should give it a try. (make sure you have another working snow leopard or leopard installation so that you can fix the main installation in case everything goes wrong)

Here is the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?q2jmln1ymdg

That's it.

Cheers

Juanma

EDIT:

The loop thing happened in 32 bit kernel, when booted on 64 bit, the kext didn't even load.

By the way, here is a link to the Snow Leopard fixed HUD style "About this Mac" window as I see a few of you have asked the question - is it available.

aboutthismac1061.jpeg

http://rapidshare.com/files/300483215/Snow...ut_This_Mac.zip

There is a backup of the original file as well as some that I made. Thanks to Toastido.

aqua-mac.......many thanks....... :D

See Section K. in post #1 showing my now "transparent" About This Mac Window...... :hysterical:

Hey, has anybody tried the new supernfroceata kext?

Look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr46GjLFoHk

This guy claims he has rewritten the applenforceata.kext so that it works on 64 bit kernel.

I tried it yesterday but when booted in verbose I could see it would go into an infinite loop and snow leopard would never start.

After that, I had to boot another Snow Leopard installation I had on my external HDD to fix the main installation, and put back the old slash nforceata kext.

However, I've seen that this kext has worked for some people in other forums, so I think you should give it a try. (make sure you have another working snow leopard or leopard installation so that you can fix the main installation in case everything goes wrong)

Here is the download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?q2jmln1ymdg

That's it.

Cheers

Juanma

EDIT:

The loop thing happened in 32 bit kernel, when booted on 64 bit, the kext didn't even load.

Both myself and Ale§ have tried it without success....... ;)

Regarding SuperNForceATA, people are saying it isn't a 64-bit kext: http://www.infinitemac.com/f36/new-applevi...-leopard-t4319/

This is Leopard kext by MeDevil, patched by Andy for more RAM support.

dn28nc.jpg

What's exactly changed here?

I waited, and it eventually loads. The problem is it's not a 64 bit kext!

As you can see from the following:

bash-3.2# lipo -info ./SuperNForceATA

Non-fat file: ./SuperNForceATA is architecture: i386

Seemingly false advertisement.

Regarding SuperNForceATA, people are saying it isn't a 64-bit kext

So it appears......but it did not even work for me when booting into 32bit mode.....it seems that it works on nForce4 AMD CPU MOBOs going by the posts on infinitemac.com.....

verdant, sorry for the slow response, PATA DVDRW is working in 10.6.1. Just burned an audio CD. I'm not too surprised though, since it was working in Leopard...quite well I must add. This is with the aforementioned slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext.

verdant, sorry for the slow response, PATA DVDRW is working in 10.6.1. Just burned an audio CD. I'm not too surprised though, since it was working in Leopard...quite well I must add. This is with the aforementioned slashack's AppleNForceATA.kext.

Given the poll results for this thread, it would be interesting to know which nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO + what brand/model SATA DVDRWs are working properly (including CD/DVD R/RW burning), and if they are using an AppleNforceATA kext, or are AHCI compatible chipset MOBOs not needing/using an AppleNforceATA kext.......