nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

@ toloot

The OSInstall.mpkg approach for installing is often problematic.........

An alternative option is to install Snow Leopard onto a GPT/HFS+ partition/formatted USB flash drive (8GB or larger) or onto a external USB HDD and then clone it to your desktop MBR volume.....

Thanks a lot for your guide - I was able to install Snow (10A432) and upgrading to 10.6.2 was a breeze (Thanks to this guide).

I installed from an external USB onto a GPT/HFS+ partition SATA HD. I used Chameleon RC3 directly, I didn't use PC_EFI boot file for the USB and the final HD.

Before installation:

1. I only installed 2GB RAM (I think it is related to the "RAM > 3GB Problem")

2. I had to use the following BIOS settings (see post #451 of this thread)

CPU Configuration

CPU Internal Thermal Control = Disable

Limit CPUID MaxVal = Disable

Enhanced C1 (C1E) = Disable

Execute Disable Bit = Enable

Enhanced Intel SpeedStepp = Disable

Onboard Divice Configuration

Onboard Lan = Disable

Onboard 1394 = Disable

JMicron SATA Controler = Disable

However, after installation, I was able to go to the defaults (I'll try my eSata and FireWire 400 interfaces to see if it work) and 4GB RAM works fine.

I have the following in my E/E

AppleNForceATA.kext

fakesmc.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

For onboard LAN, I had to put nForceLan.kext in S/L/E - using a symlink didnt work (very surprised)

Now here is the problem I am having:

1. No Audio (I will be trying DSDT mod in Post #2 in a little while - but this is not a big issue i have audio via a usb interface)

1. Audio working using AppleAzaliaAudio.kext - i had to put it in S/L/E before it works

2. "cmos checksum error defaults loaded" - I get the following error BIOS error message when restarting from a snow leopard session.

What could possible be getting written to my BIOS (besides the time)? Anyone know what could be causing this issue?

Thanks,

toloot

Thanks a lot for your guide - I was able to install Snow (10A432) and upgrading to 10.6.2 was a breeze (Thanks to this guide).

I installed from an external USB onto a GPT/HFS+ partition SATA HD. I used Chameleon RC3 directly, I didn't use PC_EFI boot file for the USB and the final HD.

Before installation:

1. I only installed 2GB RAM (I think it is related to the "RAM > 3GB Problem")

2. I had to use the following BIOS settings (see post #451 of this thread)

However, after installation, I was able to go to the defaults (I'll try my eSata and FireWire 400 interfaces to see if it work) and 4GB RAM works fine.

I have the following in my E/E

AppleNForceATA.kext

fakesmc.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

For onboard LAN, I had to put nForceLan.kext in S/L/E - using a symlink didnt work (very surprised)

Now here is the problem I am having:

1. No Audio (I will be trying DSDT mod in Post #2 in a little while - but this is not a big issue i have audio via a usb interface)

2. "cmos checksum error defaults loaded" - I get the following error BIOS error message when restarting from a snow leopard session.

What could possible be getting written to my BIOS (besides the time)? Anyone know what could be causing this issue?

Thanks,

toloot

I would recommend enabling CPU Internal Thermal Control in BIOS as SL runs "hotter" than Leopard......

Re CMOS issue

1. Check that your DSDT.aml file is patched correctly for the CMOS reset bug "RTC fix"

2. You could reset your preferred BIOS settings by modifying the default settings loaded from CMOS and then use the BIOS save option (if your BIOS has it) and also to back your modified BIOS settings as a BIOS file to a USB flash drive.....then when you reboot, go into BIOS setup and load the BIOS settings from your USB flash drive just to see if the your modified BIOS settings load from the USB drive OK and run OK, then switch off PC for a while and then reboot as normal from your modified BIOS settings which are hopefully saved in CMOS.....if you still get a CMOS error, then you CMOS battery may need replacing.....

I would recommend enabling CPU Internal Thermal Control in BIOS as SL runs "hotter" than Leopard......

Re CMOS issue

1. Check that your DSDT.aml file is patched correctly for the CMOS reset bug "RTC fix"

2. You could reset your preferred BIOS settings by modifying the default settings loaded from CMOS and then use the BIOS save option (if your BIOS has it) and also to back your modified BIOS settings as a BIOS file to a USB flash drive.....then when you reboot, go into BIOS setup and load the BIOS settings from your USB flash drive just to see if the your modified BIOS settings load from the USB drive OK and run OK, then switch off PC for a while and then reboot as normal from your modified BIOS settings which are hopefully saved in CMOS.....if you still get a CMOS error, then you CMOS battery may need replacing.....

I dont think it is not my CMOS battery.

If I boot into Leopard (10.5.7) [or Windows 7] and then restart, I will NOT get the "CMOS Checksum error" message on the subsequent boot up. It only happens on the my subsequent boot after a restart from Snow Leopard. Since it is a checksum error, I suspect that the data written to the BIOS incorrectly.

I have repatched the DSDT.aml file, but I see no difference. BTW, I removed the DSDT.aml file from the root directory and I was still able to boot into Snow Leopard (I didnt notice any ill effects), but i'll still get the error after I restart.

I will keep looking, thanks in advance.

I dont think it is not my CMOS battery.

If I boot into Leopard (10.5.7) [or Windows 7] and then restart, I will NOT get the "CMOS Checksum error" message on the subsequent boot up. It only happens on the my subsequent boot after a restart from Snow Leopard. Since it is a checksum error, I suspect that the data written to the BIOS incorrectly.

I have repatched the DSDT.aml file, but I see no difference. BTW, I removed the DSDT.aml file from the root directory and I was still able to boot into Snow Leopard (I didnt notice any ill effects), but i'll still get the error after I restart.

I will keep looking, thanks in advance.

Since only OS X SL is being affected, it is still probably an issue with your patched DSDT.aml file.....for some reason it is not loading correctly.....this would explain why you are getting the problem with or without the patched DSDT.aml file BECAUSE the CMOS reset "bug" in Snow Leopard causes the CMOS to be reset to the default BIOS settings every time the system is rebooted......the patched DSDT.aml file in / or in /Extra is not written into BIOS, it just overwrites the DSDT.aml file loaded from BIOS into RAM.....

Since only OS X SL is being affected, it is still probably an issue with your patched DSDT.aml file.....for some reason it is not loading correctly.....this would explain why you are getting the problem with or without the patched DSDT.aml file BECAUSE the CMOS reset "bug" in Snow Leopard causes the CMOS to be reset to the default BIOS settings every time the system is rebooted......the patched DSDT.aml file in / or in /Extra is not written into BIOS, it just overwrites the DSDT.aml file loaded from BIOS into RAM.....

I am not sure what was happening, but I did a full reinstall and everything was fine. Thanks for the help.

BTW what are these kexts used for:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

I dont have it installed; and neither my FireWire nor eSATA works [cosmetic issue though USB is fast enough for me].

Thanks,

Toloot

I am not sure what was happening, but I did a full reinstall and everything was fine. Thanks for the help.

BTW what are these kexts used for:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

I dont have it installed; and neither my FireWire nor eSATA works [cosmetic issue though USB is fast enough for me].

Thanks,

Toloot

These kexts are not required for nForce chipset MOBOs.

AHCIPortInjector.kext - Info.plist-only kext that adds device IDs to the AHCI controller that are not included in the AppleAHCIPort.kext, e.g. ICH9, ICH9R etc.

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - Info.plist-only kext that changes AHCI icon colour from orange (external removable storage device) to grey (internal storage device)

Now that OS X SL is installed, try enabling the IEEE1394 port in BIOS to see if Firewire works.......also enable the JMicron SATA controller in BIOS as AHCI if you can, and use the Info.plist-only kext, LegacyJMB36xSATA, that enables JMB36X SATA information to be picked up by System Profiler.....

Hey Verdant,

if you get a chance can you assist me,

as you can see my specs in my signature. I am unable to boot in to Snow pre-install

i am getting kernal panics, double panics and I have tried it with 2G ram

I am not sure what am I doing wrong?

Hey Verdant,

if you get a chance can you assist me,

as you can see my specs in my signature. I am unable to boot in to Snow pre-install

i am getting kernal panics, double panics and I have tried it with 2G ram

I am not sure what am I doing wrong?

Which of the 3 methods in my guide are you using to install Snow Leopard....?

Start with checking your BIOS settings and boot with -v debug=0x100 and post screen shots of your panics.......

These kexts are not required for nForce chipset MOBOs.

AHCIPortInjector.kext - Info.plist-only kext that adds device IDs to the AHCI controller that are not included in the AppleAHCIPort.kext, e.g. ICH9, ICH9R etc.

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext - Info.plist-only kext that changes AHCI icon colour from orange (external removable storage device) to grey (internal storage device)

Now that OS X SL is installed, try enabling the IEEE1394 port in BIOS to see if Firewire works.......also enable the JMicron SATA controller in BIOS as AHCI if you can, and use the Info.plist-only kext, LegacyJMB36xSATA, that enables JMB36X SATA information to be picked up by System Profiler.....

Thanks, I used the LegacyJMB36xSATA kext and sure enough System Profiler detected the eSATA interface - however, it still does work. Furthermore, my boot time got slower - I suppose it was attempting to communicate with the drive, but it could not. I'll investigate this further, hopefully I have some debug info in the log files that can help.

BTW, I dont seems to have thing in the BIOS about enabling JMicron SATA controller as AHCI. Also, these interfaces (eSATA and FireWore) never worked in Leopard.

Thanks.

Check your BIOS settings against the OS X settings template in my Series7 nForce Leopard thread and also, if in /Extra you have an Extensions.mkext, file remove it and confirm that in /Extra/Extensions, you have the required kexts,.....then reboot OS X with

-v debug=0x100

and report what happens.....

Alright, I checked my bios and they were identical with that template. In fact your post that you linked to is the exact one I used for getting Leopard on my desktop so thanks for that! :ihw_wow:

I do not have the Extensions.mkext anymore. I deleted it before i started all of this, because I heard the problems people had. So I will try with -v and debug=0x100 and see what happens when I get home tonight. I will let you know of success of defeat. Thanks!

Also, some people have said that they installed their snow leopard from a current install of leopard. How do you do this? Mine says that I have to restart when I click on it. If this happened I would not even have to try to boot the install so it might work. Let me know if there are any special steps that i have to take. Thanks!

Alright, I checked my bios and they were identical with that template. In fact your post that you linked to is the exact one I used for getting Leopard on my desktop so thanks for that! :)

I do not have the Extensions.mkext anymore. I deleted it before i started all of this, because I heard the problems people had. So I will try with -v and debug=0x100 and see what happens when I get home tonight. I will let you know of success of defeat. Thanks!

Also, some people have said that they installed their snow leopard from a current install of leopard. How do you do this? Mine says that I have to restart when I click on it. If this happened I would not even have to try to boot the install so it might work. Let me know if there are any special steps that i have to take. Thanks!

Re dual booting.....use Chameleon 2.0 RC3 in OS X and EasyBCD 2.0 Beta in Windows......best of both worlds......see Section I. in my guide in post #455 on how to boot Snow Leopard from Leopard Chamelon bootloader.....

Re installing SL using Leopard with your SL Install DVD.......set up the GPT/HFS+ partition for SL using Leopard Disk Utility.......put 10.6 Install DVD in DVDRW and go to Terminal, and type:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

\ allows use of spaces in path names

open OSInstall.mpkg

The OSInstall.mpkg Installer window allows you to "Select a Destination" volume onto which you can install Snow Leopard.....

Then run Chameleon 2.0 RC3 installer to install Chameleon bootloader to the SL volume.....

Re dual booting.....use Chameleon 2.0 RC3 in OS X and EasyBCD 2.0 Beta in Windows......best of both worlds......see Section I. in my guide in post #455 on how to boot Snow Leopard from Leopard Chamelon bootloader.....

Re installing SL using Leopard with your SL Install DVD.......set up the GPT/HFS+ partition for SL using Leopard Disk Utility.......put 10.6 Install DVD in DVDRW and go to Terminal, and type:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

\ allows use of spaces in path names

open OSInstall.mpkg

The OSInstall.mpkg Installer window allows you to "Select a Destination" volume onto which you can install Snow Leopard.....

Then run Chameleon 2.0 RC3 installer to install Chameleon bootloader to the SL volume.....

OK I guess I install all the kexts i need in the extensions folder before trying to boot into SL correct? It is installing now via the OSInstall.mpkg method you described. I will post the results.

I realized i double posted and deleted it so here is my next post:

OK got past acpi problem from before with the debug=0x100, but now it gets to Applenforceata : configureTFPointers then goes to a blank screen and never comes back. Is there anything else I can try? I'm totally last past this point...

NEW EDIT: Alright now I am getting to where it will not go to a blank screen but just hangs on:

AppleNForceATA::configureTFPointers( 0x7ee5000 )

AppleNForceATA:: found 0 units.

AppleNForceATA:: free( 0x7ee5000 )

It will just stay like that for awhile till i get tired of looking at it. BTW I am using an AppleNForceATA.kext from my 10.5.8 install. This was the first time I got it to say like this after installing without going to a blank screen. Any help would be great :)

OK I guess I install all the kexts i need in the extensions folder before trying to boot into SL correct? It is installing now via the OSInstall.mpkg method you described. I will post the results.

I realized i double posted and deleted it so here is my next post:

OK got past acpi problem from before with the debug=0x100, but now it gets to Applenforceata : configureTFPointers then goes to a blank screen and never comes back. Is there anything else I can try? I'm totally last past this point...

NEW EDIT: Alright now I am getting to where it will not go to a blank screen but just hangs on:

AppleNForceATA::configureTFPointers( 0x7ee5000 )

AppleNForceATA:: found 0 units.

AppleNForceATA:: free( 0x7ee5000 )

It will just stay like that for awhile till i get tired of looking at it. BTW I am using an AppleNForceATA.kext from my 10.5.8 install. This was the first time I got it to say like this after installing without going to a blank screen. Any help would be great :(

Did you have the Windows RAID 0 setup and OS X Leopard both working 100%.......?

If YES.....then check that, with 4GB RAM, you are using slashack's v0.1 AppleNForceATA.kext and booting SL in 32bit mode as this kext is 32bit.......try with the kext in /Extra and a sym link to it in /S/L/E.......also repair its persmisions:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions
sudo chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions

I suggest you use 755 for the kext permissions instead of my usual recommendation of go=u-w, just in case one of the 3rd party kexts contains an executable file.....

If NO......the problem could be related to your HDD RAID setup for Windows......OS X may be trying to mount them.......but OS X does not work with BIOS "fake hardware" software RAID, only with Apple Software RAID and/or a OS X compatible PCI RAID card setup.....

Temporarily disconnect the Windows HDDs from the MOBO and see what happens......also again check that you are using slashack's v0.1 AppleNForceATA.kext and booting SL in 32bit mode as this kext is 32bit.......try with the kext in /Extra and a sym link to it in /S/L/E.......also repair its persmisions:

Also, if you do not want the Vista RAIDed HDD icons trying to mount on the OS X desktop with error messages saying the the RAIDed HDDs cannot be mounted, then right-click on the OS X HDD volume icon(s) and choose “Make Alias” for the volume(s)……then go to Finder > Preferences, and under “Show these items on the Desktop”, uncheck “Hard disks”……the alias icons will remain on the Desktop (i.e. as shortcut(s) to the OS X HDD volume(s)), which you can rename to remove “alias” from the icon(s) name(s)……

Did you have the Windows RAID 0 setup and OS X Leopard both working 100%.......?

If YES.....then check that, with 4GB RAM, you are using slashack's v0.1 AppleNForceATA.kext and booting SL in 32bit mode as this kext is 32bit.......try with the kext in /Extra and a sym link to it in /S/L/E.......also repair its persmisions:

I suggest you use 755 for the kext permissions instead of my usual recommendation of go=u-w, just in case one of the 3rd party kexts contains an executable file.....

If NO......the problem could be related to your HDD RAID setup for Windows......OS X may be trying to mount them.......but OS X does not work with BIOS "fake hardware" software RAID, only with Apple Software RAID and/or a OS X compatible PCI RAID card setup.....

Temporarily disconnect the Windows HDDs from the MOBO and see what happens......also again check that you are using slashack's v0.1 AppleNForceATA.kext and booting SL in 32bit mode as this kext is 32bit.......try with the kext in /Extra and a sym link to it in /S/L/E.......also repair its persmisions:

Also, if you do not want the Vista RAIDed HDD icons trying to mount on the OS X desktop with error messages saying the the RAIDed HDDs cannot be mounted, then right-click on the OS X HDD volume icon(s) and choose “Make Alias” for the volume(s)……then go to Finder > Preferences, and under “Show these items on the Desktop”, uncheck “Hard disks”……the alias icons will remain on the Desktop (i.e. as shortcut(s) to the OS X HDD volume(s)), which you can rename to remove “alias” from the icon(s) name(s)……

Well I knew the windows raids might create a problem so i disconnected them from the start. Anytime I do anything with my OSX86 stuff I unhook them so I don't accidentally mess them up.

OK so how do you make a sym link in S/L/E? Do you mean to copy them? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Should I do that with all of my kexts? Also, I have never repaired permissions of my kexts in extra for SNOW so that might help!

Also since I can't boot into my Snow Leopard install, are you meaning for me to go into my running leopard install and repair the permissions or try to boot into single user mode in snow leopard? If in leopard, obviously I need to tell the terminal which volume and then which folder the kexts are in? So like this for example:

sudo chown -R /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions
  sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions
  sudo touch /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions

Would that be correct or can I even do it in LEO? Please let me know and I will try again in an hour or so when I get home! Thanks!

Well I knew the windows raids might create a problem so i disconnected them from the start. Anytime I do anything with my OSX86 stuff I unhook them so I don't accidentally mess them up.

OK so how do you make a sym link in S/L/E? Do you mean to copy them? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Should I do that with all of my kexts? Also, I have never repaired permissions of my kexts in extra for SNOW so that might help!

Also since I can't boot into my Snow Leopard install, are you meaning for me to go into my running leopard install and repair the permissions or try to boot into single user mode in snow leopard? If in leopard, obviously I need to tell the terminal which volume and then which folder the kexts are in? So like this for example:

sudo chown -R /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions
 sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions
 sudo touch /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions

Would that be correct or can I even do it in LEO? Please let me know and I will try again in an hour or so when I get home! Thanks!

1. To make a symbolic link:

cd /Extra/Extensions/
sudo ln -s AppleNForceATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

2. To repair permissions:

Try booting the HDD OS X SL volume into single user mode using -s.....failing that try using Terminal from Leopard........

mount -uw /
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions
touch /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions
exit

Also see here for Kext Utility v2.4.2........and here.......you can discard the Extenstions.mkext file created if it causes any issues.......

1. To make a symbolic link:

cd /Extra/Extensions/
sudo ln -s AppleNForceATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/
exit

2. To repair permissions:

Try booting the HDD OS X SL volume into single user mode using -s.....failing that try using Terminal from Leopard........

mount -uw /
chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions
chmod -R 755 /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions
touch /Volumes/SNOW/Extra/Extensions
exit

Also see here for Kext Utility v2.4.2........and here.......you can discard the Extenstions.mkext file created if it causes any issues.......

Ok I got one line farther but i still don't think it is good:

disk0s2: data underrun

is the last line that I see then it just stops reading from the disk and sits there, then says it again. Does this help decipher any further what could be wrong? I repaired permissions and linked to the kext like you said. Anything left to try?

Should I try installing a different kernel? or would i just be wasting my time? If so which one would you suggest?

Ok I got one line farther but i still don't think it is good:

disk0s2: data underrun

is the last line that I see then it just stops reading from the disk and sits there, then says it again. Does this help decipher any further what could be wrong? I repaired permissions and linked to the kext like you said. Anything left to try?

Should I try installing a different kernel? or would i just be wasting my time? If so which one would you suggest?

Are all your HDDs and DVDRWs SATA devices?

Have you added any kexts to /S/L/E and re-list the kexts you have in /E/E......so I can see if there is anything unexpected.......

Also, some people have had a disk data underrun error because of AppleNForceATA.kext and network kext "interaction issues", so try:

Installing OS X without nForceLAN.kext in /E/E and/or /S/L/E.......if the problem disappears, then repair permissions from with SL before re-installing nForceLAN.kext.....BUT also try with v0.64.3 (Snow Leopard + Leopard/Tiger) nForceLAN.kext installed from here........

Are all your HDDs and DVDRWs SATA devices?

Have you added any kexts to /S/L/E and re-list the kexts you have in /E/E......so I can see if there is anything unexpected.......

Also, some people have had a disk data underrun error because of AppleNForceATA.kext and network kext "interaction issues", so try:

Installing OS X without nForceLAN.kext in /E/E and/or /S/L/E.......if the problem disappears, then repair permissions from with SL before re-installing nForceLAN.kext.....BUT also try with v0.64.3 (Snow Leopard + Leopard/Tiger) nForceLAN.kext installed from here........

In my /E/Extensions folder I have AppleDecrypt.kext (I found out that with this kext I get the same errors, but instead of it going blank when i get them it shows them to me.) AppleNForceATA.kext (slash's version) NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, dsmos.kext, and fakesmc.V2.kext. I have tried Disabler too and same results.

I just tried without the nForceLAN.kext, but it still did the same thing. Let me know if this list helps you with anything. I will try anything! lol

EDIT: And yes all my drives are SATA and I have not added anything to S/L/E except the sym link to the applenforceata.kext.

In my /E/Extensions folder I have AppleDecrypt.kext (I found out that with this kext I get the same errors, but instead of it going blank when i get them it shows them to me.) AppleNForceATA.kext (slash's version) NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, dsmos.kext, and fakesmc.V2.kext. I have tried Disabler too and same results.

I just tried without the nForceLAN.kext, but it still did the same thing. Let me know if this list helps you with anything. I will try anything! lol

EDIT: And yes all my drives are SATA and I have not added anything to S/L/E except the sym link to the applenforceata.kext.

Try with just the following kexts in /Extra/Extensions

AppleNForceATA

fakesmcV2

nForceLAN

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

with and without NullCPUPowerManagement......as I am running 10.6.2 successfully without NullCPUPowerManagement........

Something else to try if above makes no difference......try connecting OS X SATA HDD to SATA 1 connector on MOBO if it is not already.....

There is any chance to run SL on nForce 4 Chipset with kext for newest nForce?? I have DFI LanParty NF4-D @ Ultra-D runing on Leopard 10.5.8

You can try with the AppleNForceATA kext you are using with 10.5.8.....it should work so long as you boot Snow Leopard in 32bit mode.......put it in /Extra/Extensions initially (and if necessary a sym link to it in /S/L/E/).......if that does not work you may ahve to put it in /S/L/E/ directly....

Use slashack's version if you have >3GB RAM fitted.......if not, you can also try the MeDevil AppleNForceATA and AppleNForceATA_Test kext......or even the nforce4 sata (rev3) kext from here....

10.6.2 every thing work but sata dvd burner

the burner does work in windows 7

sl sees drive and when disk is inserted and say it is blank about 20 - 30 mins of wait ing

i have an xfx 790i mother board any idea on how to get my optiarc dvd drive working?

10.6.2 every thing work but sata dvd burner

the burner does work in windows 7

sl sees drive and when disk is inserted and say it is blank about 20 - 30 mins of wait ing

i have an xfx 790i mother board any idea on how to get my optiarc dvd drive working?

Some report SATA DVDRW burning as being possible under OS X, while others are not able to burn using their SATA DVDRW under OS X but can do so under Windows and/or Linux.......

I am not able to burn under OS X using my SATA DVDRW because I user slashack's AppleNForceATA kext to access my 6GB RAM, so I use a PATA DVDRW for burning in OS X as the 6GB RAM access is more important to me.....

You could try MeDevils AppleNForceATA_TEST kext but will need to set maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist if you have >3GB RAM installed......

Some report SATA DVDRW burning as being possible under OS X, while others are not able to burn using their SATA DVDRW under OS X but can do so under Windows and/or Linux.......

I am not able to burn under OS X using my SATA DVDRW because I user slashack's AppleNForceATA kext to access my 6GB RAM, so I use a PATA DVDRW for burning in OS X as the 6GB RAM access is more important to me.....

You could try MeDevils AppleNForceATA_TEST kext but will need to set maxmem=3072 in com.apple.Boot.plist if you have >3GB RAM installed......

The AppleNForceATA_TEST kext is a piece of {censored}. I used to get a lot of kernel panics when copying large amounts of data while i used that kext . It did recognize my sata dvd burner and i was able to read discs, but never got it to burn anything.

So, grab yourself an ATA DVD burner, that will solve all of your problems.

Good luck!

Juanma