nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

@ bb Glad the suggestion worked.....you seen what I wrote on About This Mac in post #2....?

@ bb Glad the suggestion worked.....you seen what I wrote on About This Mac in post #2....?

Yeah. Could install Growl without any problems via Firefox. :dance_24:

I haven't seen your post #2 yet.

Gonna see it right now.

EDIT

Nice to see what's happening in the About This Mac and that there's a fix for it. :P

I'm gonna try it now. I found a little "cosmetic" solution for it too, since About This Mac for me don't show my real mem clock. None of them. I already tried to set mem to 667 or 800 but Snow Leopard don't "see" it. The cosmetic solution is to use OSX86 Tools and enter the info you want to be shown in about this mac. :)

verd, take a look at my SMBIOS.plist.

post-223908-1254409252_thumb.png

See that the line:

<key>SMmaximaclock</key>

<string> CPU Clock in MHz</string>

is not present in my plist. Should I ad this line or should the line be there from default???

Cheers.

bb.

Yeah. Could install Growl without any problems via Firefox. :)

I haven't seen your post #2 yet.

Gonna see it right now.

EDIT

Nice to see what's happening in the About This Mac and that there's a fix for it. :)

I'm gonna try it now. I found a little "cosmetic" solution for it too, since About This Mac for me don't show my real mem clock. None of them. I already tried to set mem to 667 or 800 but Snow Leopard don't "see" it. The cosmetic solution is to use OSX86 Tools and enter the info you want to be shown in about this mac. :)

verd, take a look at my SMBIOS.plist.

post-223908-1254409252_thumb.png

See that the line:

<key>SMmaximaclock</key>

<string> CPU Clock in MHz</string>

is not present in my plist. Should I ad this line or should the line be there from default???

Cheers.

bb.

You can:

1. Go to Terminal and type nano......this will open a nano editor window...

2. Open the SMBIOS_MacPro31.text file and "copy and paste" its contents into the nano window....

3. Make the changes required under <key>SMmaximalclock</key>...

4. Save the file to your Desktop as SMBIOS.plist...

5. Backup your current SMBIOS.plist and replace it in /Extra with this modified SMBIOS.plist file.....

BTW my system reads 667 in my SMBIOS.plist as my RAM speed.....

Where I can download Flat Package Editor

It is a part of Apple Developer Tools.......if you are referring to the same app......

You can:

1. Go to Terminal and type nano......this will open a nano editor window...

2. Open the SMBIOS_MacPro31.text file and "copy and paste" its contents into the nano window....

3. Make the changes required under <key>SMmaximalclock</key>...

4. Save the file to your Desktop as SMBIOS.plist...

5. Backup your current SMBIOS.plist and replace it in /Extra with this modified SMBIOS.plist file.....

BTW my system reads 667 in my SMBIOS.plist as my RAM speed.....

Well, I believe you missed one of my written lines in last post... :wacko:

The key SMmaximaclock it's not present in my SMBIOS.plist. See picture. :)

So... can I add this key and string to the SMBIOS plist or this line should've come in the plist ?

If I meant to add it, please, let me know between which of those other keys. :)

I configured my mem clock in the SMBIOS.plist to 800 but that didn't make any difference in About This Mac.

Cheers.

bb.

I picked up a mac edition ati 4870 for cheap the other day with the intention of purchasing an apple led cinema display. I cannot seem to get this card to boot into snow leopard. It boots and runs fine in windows so i know there is no problem with the card.

I have tried chameleon 2 rc3 and the new pc efi 10.3 with no success. It wont boot into safe mode or anything. When booting normally in rc3 with -v, it shows everything the same as with my previous working card, it just wont complete the boot process. I get no kernal panics or anything, it just sits there.

Strangely, when i use pc efi 10.3 with graphics enabler on it, too, wont boot, but instead of sitting there doing nothing, the fan kicks on full blast and the screen goes blank.

Others report similar findings on netkas page. I have a feeling I am missing something very simple, but does anyone have a suggestion or a good link to 4870 snow leopard guide. Thanks.

Well, I believe you missed one of my written lines in last post... :P

The key SMmaximaclock it's not present in my SMBIOS.plist. See picture. :)

So... can I add this key and string to the SMBIOS plist or this line should've come in the plist ?

If I meant to add it, please, let me know between which of those other keys. :)

I configured my mem clock in the SMBIOS.plist to 800 but that didn't make any difference in About This Mac.

Cheers.

bb.

No I did not.....I was just suggesting that you replace your current SMBIOS.plist with a more extensive one that includes this entry and others......but I typed so quickly that I forgot to say that the SMBIOS_MacPro3,1.text file is in the Snow_Support_Files_V2.2...... :D

I picked up a mac edition ati 4870 for cheap the other day with the intention of purchasing an apple led cinema display. I cannot seem to get this card to boot into snow leopard. It boots and runs fine in windows so i know there is no problem with the card.

I have tried chameleon 2 rc3 and the new pc efi 10.3 with no success. It wont boot into safe mode or anything. When booting normally in rc3 with -v, it shows everything the same as with my previous working card, it just wont complete the boot process. I get no kernal panics or anything, it just sits there.

Strangely, when i use pc efi 10.3 with graphics enabler on it, too, wont boot, but instead of sitting there doing nothing, the fan kicks on full blast and the screen goes blank.

Others report similar findings on netkas page. I have a feeling I am missing something very simple, but does anyone have a suggestion or a good link to 4870 snow leopard guide. Thanks.

I have PM'd you....... ;)

No I did not.....I was just suggesting that you replace your current SMBIOS.plist with a more extensive one that includes this entry and others......but I typed so quickly that I forgot to say that the SMBIOS_MacPro3,1.text file is in the Snow_Support_Files_V2.2...... -_-

Ohhh... now I see... :)

Sorry for the confusion.

Gonna try it right now.

:)

Cheers.

bb.

anyone have USB mount problem after installed snow leopard?

the orginial kext doesn't work so i have to use the Slice USB from 10.5.x.

also if the flash drive is plug in during boot up, the system won't mount and icon won't display on desktop.

i get kernel panic if i transfer more than few gb of data from the flash drive.

can anyone tell me how to make it work? this is frustrating.

PS: my mobo is nforce 750

thanks in advance.

also if the flash drive is plug in during boot up, the system won't mount and icon won't display on desktop.

thanks in advance.

With the original Snow Leopard kext what is the exact problem you experience and what does the System Profiler show for USB......?

thanks in advance.

Are you using nforce test? I used to have lots of problems when used nforce test to transfer large amount of data. It would always give a kernel panic.

Cheers

JM

I followed everything but it seems that I'm not doing well. When I boot my flash drive with Snow Leopard it says that I need to restart my pc bla bla.. I also tried with -v boot flag and I get a kernel panic or something like that and above that it shows AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled.I think the problem is the IOATAFamily extension because it gives me: Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(2.5.0). What do you suggest?

I followed everything but it seems that I'm not doing well. When I boot my flash drive with Snow Leopard it says that I need to restart my pc bla bla.. I also tried with -v boot flag and I get a kernel panic or something like that and above that it shows AppleIntelPIIXPATA: Secondary PCI IDE channel is disabled.I think the problem is the IOATAFamily extension because it gives me: Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily(2.5.0). What do you suggest?

What are your system details?

Hi verdant,

thank you very much for your guide. I would have never made it without. At this moment I am running 10.6 on my very own PC.

Unfortunately I could not get the network (ethernet) to work. I installed (copied) the IONetworkFamily.kext and the nForceLAN.kext to /Extra/Extensions/. But it seems, as if OS X does not recorgnize these drivers.

System Profiler tells me that I have no ethernet port (thats a lie). Is there any way for me to check if the kexts are being loaded at all (a verbose boot log file or something)?

In Windows I can use the OnBoard Lan without any problems.

P5N-E Sli

Ethernet MCP51

Core2Duo E6600

OS X 10.6 Retail on IDE HDD

ATA DVD

OnBoard lan is enabled in BIOS of course.

Thank you for your help.

Motherboard: Asrock Conroe 1333 DVI/H

CPU: Intel CoreDuo 1.8Ghz

VGA: nVidia GeForce 7300GT PCIE 256MB

This topic thread is for nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBOs ONLY.......your MOBO has Intel 945G Northbridge and ICH7 Southbridge chipsets......hence, your problems in following my guide......

Hi verdant,

thank you very much for your guide. I would have never made it without. At this moment I am running 10.6 on my very own PC.

Unfortunately I could not get the network (ethernet) to work. I installed (copied) the IONetworkFamily.kext and the nForceLAN.kext to /Extra/Extensions/. But it seems, as if OS X does not recorgnize these drivers.

System Profiler tells me that I have no ethernet port (thats a lie). Is there any way for me to check if the kexts are being loaded at all (a verbose boot log file or something)?

In Windows I can use the OnBoard Lan without any problems.

P5N-E Sli

Ethernet MCP51

Core2Duo E6600

OS X 10.6 Retail on IDE HDD

ATA DVD

OnBoard lan is enabled in BIOS of course.

Thank you for your help.

Go to Terminal and type

kextstat

and look for nForceLAN.kext.....if it is not present it is not being loaded into the kernel......do you have an Extensions.mkext file in /Extra....if yes, then delete it......

and look for nForceLAN.kext.....if it is not present it is not being loaded into the kernel......do you have an Extenstions.mkext file in /Extra....if yes, then delete it......

Thank you for your fast reply.

Ok, I checked that with "kextstat" and as I suspected it does not say anything about nForceLAN at all. I have no Extensions.mkext in /Extra

Update: I copied the VoodooHDA.kext (to enable sound) into /Extra/Extensions and like with nForceLan kextstat reveals that it is not beeing loaded. But that the /Extra/Extensions are being pulled by Chameleon (RC1) I can see, because when I delete the nFOrceATA.kext I cannot boot anymore. Whats wrong here?

Thank you for your fast reply.

Ok, I checked that with "kextstat" and as I suspected it does not say anything about nForceLAN at all. I have no Extensions.mkext in /Extra

Is IONetworkingFamily.kext loaded....?

Boot with -v -s and at the single user boot prompt, type

kextload /Extra/Extensions/nForceLAN.kext
exit

and see what happens.....

Re your update:

I suggest that you repair the permissions on the /Extra/Extensions directory:

sudo chown -R root:wheel /Extra/Extensions
sudo chmod -R go=u-w /Extra/Extensions
sudo touch /Extra/Extensions
exit

Is IONetworkingFamily.kext loaded....?

Boot with -v -s and at the single user boot prompt, type

kextload /Extra/Extensions/nForceLAN.kext
  exit

and see what happens.....

hfs_swap_BTNode; record #-1 invalid offset (0x0000)
hfs: node=5555 fileID=4 volume=Hackintosh device=root_device
IOATAController device blocking bus.
/Extra/Extensions/nForceLAN.kext failed to load - unknown error code; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Repairing the permissions does not change a thing.

hfs_swap_BTNode; record #-1 invalid offset (0x0000)
hfs: node=5555 fileID=4 volume=Hackintosh device=root_device
IOATAController device blocking bus.
/Extra/Extensions/nForceLAN.kext failed to load - unknown error code; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Repairing the permissions does not change a thing.

Suggest you download the kext again directly from nForceLAN_SnowLeopard.kext.zip

Unfortunately that does not change a thing. So i guessi just try another bootloader?!

At the moment I am using Chameleon RC1 with PC_EFI v10(.1 i guess?) from your tutorial (Snow Leopard Support Files 2.2). If I change to Chameleon RC3(.pkg) what do I have to change? Do I have to "uninstall" chameleon RC1 in some way? What kind of "boot" file do I have to use then? (I read your tutorial many times but just did not understand the chameleon rc3 part, sorry).

Unfortunately that does not change a thing. So i guessi just try another bootloader?!

At the moment I am using Chameleon RC1 with PC_EFI v10(.1 i guess?) from your tutorial (Snow Leopard Support Files 2.2). If I change to Chameleon RC3(.pkg) what do I have to change? Do I have to "uninstall" chameleon RC1 in some way? What kind of "boot" file do I have to use then? (I read your tutorial many times but just did not understand the chameleon rc3 part, sorry).

You can use:

Chameleon RC1 bootloader with the netkas PCI_EFI v10.1 or 10.2 boot file in place of the installed RC1 boot file.....

OR

Chameleon RC3 bootloader (installed manually, or Dr. Hurt's Installer or run dj nitehawk's Pre-Install Automator v1.1 script just to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3) with the RC3 boot file, or alternatively, with the netkas PC_EFI v10.3 boot file in place of the RC3 boot file.....

If you use RC1, then you must use the -x32 flag; whereas, if you use RC3, then you must use the arch=i386 flag

The Chameleon RC3 installer(s) will overwrite the installed Chameleon RC1 files.....but RC1 with PC_EFI v10.1 should work anyhow....

SOLVED IT! I used Chameleon RC boot. But that alon did not change anything. But than I reinstalled the *.kext files using the "kext utility" provided on your support files and everything works: internet, audio, etc.

Thank you very much for your tutorial, your collected files and your instant support here in the forum.

SOLVED IT! I used Chameleon RC boot. But that alon did not change anything. But than I reinstalled the *.kext files using the "kext utility" provided on your support files and everything works: internet, audio, etc.

Thank you very much for your tutorial, your collected files and your instant support here in the forum.

Glad to help..... :D

BTW I have just re-written the Chameleon bootloader + PC_EFI boot file installation instructions (in all relevant places in the guide) to hopefully make it easier to follow...... :)