nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

usb installer worked perfect here.. first try (just took an entire hour to install)

haven't had a lockup in 24hr since making those changes of irq in dsdt.. but this errors a damn {censored} lol, just when you think you have it fixed it screws you when you least expect it, not 100% sure of success yet, but 24hr up is good sign.. i've been trying to make it lockup, copying files from/to usb, force rechecking data on local hdd, all while playing world of warcraft..

i am having a flashing blue screen when booting up and hanging there when adding my efi string to my 7900gtx into the boot file....i can only boot with -x

when i remove it i boot fine...but graphics card doesnt work

i have a sli mb...

anyone beable to help?

thanks in advance

usb installer worked perfect here.. first try (just took an entire hour to install)

haven't had a lockup in 24hr since making those changes of irq in dsdt.. but this errors a damn {censored} lol, just when you think you have it fixed it screws you when you least expect it, not 100% sure of success yet, but 24hr up is good sign.. i've been trying to make it lockup, copying files from/to usb, force rechecking data on local hdd, all while playing world of warcraft..

Which IRQs did you end up having to change in your DSDT?

i am having a flashing blue screen when booting up and hanging there when adding my efi string to my 7900gtx into the boot file....i can only boot with -x

when i remove it i boot fine...but graphics card doesnt work

i have a sli mb...

anyone beable to help?

thanks in advance

I assume you are running Snow Leopard on an nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO.......if so, give more details if you want any help.........

HPET section left with:

IRQNoFlags ()

{0}

IRQNoFlags ()

{8}

removed IRQ from (RTC) device: 8

removed IRQ from (PIC) device: 2

removed IRQ from (TMR) device: 0 <- don't know if that did anything.

removed the ps2 devices for cleanup...since i don't have any ps2 hardware..

HPET section left with:

IRQNoFlags ()

{0}

IRQNoFlags ()

{8}

removed IRQ from (RTC) device: 8

removed IRQ from (PIC) device: 2

removed IRQ from (TMR) device: 0 <- don't know if that did anything.

removed the ps2 devices for cleanup...since i don't have any ps2 hardware..

It is interesting that you had to clean up HPET when AppleHPET is not even loaded.......BUT it could be the reason why a number of people have had a problem using the USB installer approach........

In my DSDT it already has

IRQNoFlags ()

{0}

IRQNoFlags ()

{8}

in Device (HPET)......

and no

IRQNoFlags ()

{8}

in Device (RTC)

BUT has

IRQNoFlags ()

{0}

in Device (TMR)

and

IRQNoFlags ()

{2}

in Device (PIC)

But I note that Slice kept his Device (PIC) with IRQ set to{2} because it helped with his Brightness control.......

Did you make all the changes at once, or one by one to see which ones were critical......?

As well as removing Device (PS2M) and Device (PS2K), what about a Device for Floppy.......?

You are not having boot problems but kernel panics for some reason.....

Have you tried installing OS X 10.6 to Snow Leopard HD using a modified OSInstall.mpkg run from Snow Leopard on Macintosh-HD.....?

Well, when I created the USB installer, I changed the OSInstall.mpkg to the version 2 that skips all checks like you wrote in the guide.

I couldn´t understand your last setence.

When I installed SL, I started it from the USB Installer with the OSInstall.mpkg that essentially skips all checks directly to the Macintosh-HD and when it was installed, I cloned it to the SNOW-LEOPARD-HD that is MBR/HFS+.

Cheers.

Well, when I created the USB installer, I changed the OSInstall.mpkg to the version 2 that skips all checks like you wrote in the guide.

I couldn´t understand your last setence.

When I installed SL, I started it from the USB Installer with the OSInstall.mpkg that essentially skips all checks directly to the Macintosh-HD and when it was installed, I cloned it to the SNOW-LEOPARD-HD that is MBR/HFS+.

Cheers.

I asked the question because if you are installing SL using the USB Installer to a GPT/HFS+ volume (which is what your Macintosh-HD volume is set up as) you DO NOT NEED to use a modified OSInstall.mpkg.......

BUT you would do if you were installing SL using the USB Installer to a MBR/HFS+ volume (which is what your SNOW-LEOPARD-HD volume is set up as).......

I asked the question because if you are installing SL using the USB Installer to a GPT/HFS+ volume (which is what your Macintosh-HD volume is set up as) you DO NOT NEED to use a modified OSInstall.mpkg.......

BUT you would do if you were installing SL using the USB Installer to a MBR/HFS+ volume (which is what your SNOW-LEOPARD-HD volume is set up as).......

Huummm...

Now I understand...

Well, I´ll create another Installer without the modified OSInstall and try to install SL to the GPT/HFS+ without modifications. :(

EDIT

verd, I was reading your guide more and more carefully and got one doubt... in the section names as "Procedure to Follow" in the item 7 you wrote: "Use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the SMBIOS.plist template included in the Snow Support Files, to suit your system hardware/RAM etc......."

In my SMBIOS folder from Snow Leopard Support Files v2.1 I have 3 files:

> SMBIOS_Key

> SMBIOS_MacPro21.plist

> SMBIOS_MacPro31.text

So, logically the one to use is SMBIOS_MacPro21.plist, right? Because in item 7 you say SMBIOS.plist wich file is not in the folder.

Cheers.

bb.

it did crash :( :\

...what gives

LOL. Sorry I am not laughing at you. I just admit I was a little jealous when you said it was "stable". Stable I think you'll find is a strong word ;) . I really do hope you get it working the way you want though. Verdant is very helpful.

EDIT: Sorry it was wanman that said it was stable. Haven't heard back from him yet.

I've got a problem.

I managed to install snow leopard with the boot132 method. Everything went ok, but now when i try to boot, i get a kernel panic and says there's a problem with cpu 0 or something like that.

exactly the same problem happened when the boot132 cd didn't load the kexts properly because i didn't press f5.

any help will be appreciated.

thank you in advence.

juanma

Huummm...

Now I understand...

Well, I´ll create another Installer without the modified OSInstall and try to install SL to the GPT/HFS+ without modifications. :D

EDIT

verd, I was reading your guide more and more carefully and got one doubt... in the section names as "Procedure to Follow" in the item 7 you wrote: "Use TextEdit, Property List Editor, TextMate or your favourite .plist file text editor to modify the SMBIOS.plist template included in the Snow Support Files, to suit your system hardware/RAM etc......."

In my SMBIOS folder from Snow Leopard Support Files v2.1 I have 3 files:

> SMBIOS_Key

> SMBIOS_MacPro21.plist

> SMBIOS_MacPro31.text

So, logically the one to use is SMBIOS_MacPro21.plist, right? Because in item 7 you say SMBIOS.plist wich file is not in the folder.

Cheers.

bb.

Yes because you need .plist extension to the SMBIOS file......you can simply change the name of SMBIOS_MacPro21.plist to SMBIOS.plist......or leave it as it is......

I've got a problem.

I managed to install snow leopard with the boot132 method. Everything went ok, but now when i try to boot, i get a kernel panic and says there's a problem with cpu 0 or something like that.

exactly the same problem happened when the boot132 cd didn't load the kexts properly because i didn't press f5.

any help will be appreciated.

thank you in advence.

juanma

What is the exact CPU related error?.........Did you remember to boot the Mac OS X Install DVD disk using -v -f at the boot: prompt.......you must press -f........

In your HDD /Extra/Extensions directory do you have:

fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OR

dsmos.kext and Disabler.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

AND ALSO

AppleNForceATA.slash.kext or AppleNForce.AnV.kext or AppleNForceATA_Test.kext.....?

here's the KP: http://img190.imageshack.us/i/34912331.jpg/

Sorry for the quality (iPhone)

yeah, when installed i used -v -f

also, i have fakesmc.kext (i tried both), NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, applenforceata.slash.kext, openhaltrestart and plataformuuid.kext in Extra/Extensions

tried both with and without extensions.mkext and also tried putting the kexts in /S/L/E

also made sure hpet is enabled

nothing worked so far.

my specs are: gigabtye GA-N650SLI-DS4, intel core2quad q6600 2,4 ghz. G0, 2 gig of ram, nvidia geforce 8600gt, pata dvd-rw, etc.

it did crash :) :\

...what gives

You could try reverting all the HPET, RTC, TMR and PIC DSDT to the original settings and then try the changes one by one.......

here's the KP: http://img190.imageshack.us/i/34912331.jpg/

Sorry for the quality (iPhone)

yeah, when installed i used -v -f

also, i have fakesmc.kext (i tried both), NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, applenforceata.slash.kext, openhaltrestart and plataformuuid.kext in Extra/Extensions

tried both with and without extensions.mkext and also tried putting the kexts in /S/L/E

also made sure hpet is enabled

nothing worked so far.

my specs are: gigabtye GA-N650SLI-DS4, intel core2quad q6600 2,4 ghz. G0, 2 gig of ram, nvidia geforce 8600gt, pata dvd-rw, etc.

Try dsmos.kext and Disabler.kext in place of fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.......

Using dsmos.kext and Disabler.kext causes fewer KPs than using fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.......at least on my 650i chipset MOBO......

Hey, would you tell me he kexts you used in the boot132 disc?

cos when i used i wrongly, the exact same error appeared, however, when used it right, everything worked.

thank you!

cheers

juanma

Try dsmos.kext and Disabler.kext in place of fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.......

Using dsmos.kext and Disabler.kext causes fewer KPs than using fakesmc.kext (v1 or v2) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.......at least on my 650i chipset MOBO......

that didn't work either...

i dont know why nothing is working...

Yes because you need .plist extension to the SMBIOS file......you can simply change the name of SMBIOS_MacPro21.plist to SMBIOS.plist......or leave it as it is......

Hi verd.

Well, I´m writing to say that I don´t know more what to do to install SL to my rig.

Now I created the USB installer using exactly the guide suggests to and when it comes to install what happens? KP.

I couldn´t take a picture of it but I wrote down a few lines from the KP. Here it goes:

> panic (cpu 1 caller 0x27435d): "need corner case for fictitious page"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/osfmk/vm/vm_pageout.c 3533

> BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Mas OS X Install

Mac version

10A432

All I can say after all these results is that I´m giving up on Snow Leopard.

EDIT

Well mate, I tried to install SL using:

> RC1 + PC EFI 10.1 = kernel panic on install (using fakesmc v1)

> RC2 + RC3 boot file = kernel panic on boot (using fakesmc v1)

What ocurred me this afternoon was: I have Chameleon 2.0 RC2 installed to boot my Leopard 10.5.8 partition and I was wondering if this is not the problem. I´m trying to boot the Snow Leopard install with the bootloader I have. Could be that? If yes, let me know how to migrate to Chameleon RC3 as it doesn´t have an Installer Pacakge and I don´t know where it goes the Chameleon files after installation.

Cheers.

bb.

Hey, would you tell me he kexts you used in the boot132 disc?

cos when i used i wrongly, the exact same error appeared, however, when used it right, everything worked.

thank you!

cheers

juanma

that didn't work either...

i dont know why nothing is working...

Which message is correct.......everything worked or nothing is working.......?

BTW I used dsmos.kext and Disabler.kext in my nForceSLBoot132DVD.......

Hi verd.

Well, I´m writing to say that I don´t know more what to do to install SL to my rig.

Now I created the USB installer using exactly the guide suggests to and when it comes to install what happens? KP.

I couldn´t take a picture of it but I wrote down a few lines from the KP. Here it goes:

> panic (cpu 1 caller 0x27435d): "need corner case for fictitious page"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/osfmk/vm/vm_pageout.c 3533

> BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Mas OS X Install

Mac version

10A432

All I can say after all these results is that I´m giving up on Snow Leopard.

Cheers.

bb.

Just remind me......you have a working SL system on a GPT partition on a HDD in your PC but are having difficulty putting it onto a MBR partition on a HDD in your PC......correct or not......?

Have you tried both Disk Utility and CCC to clone from the GPT to the MBR volume.....?

Re

What ocurred me this afternoon was: I have Chameleon 2.0 RC2 installed to boot my Leopard 10.5.8 partition and I was wondering if this is not the problem. I´m trying to boot the Snow Leopard install with the bootloader I have. Could be that? If yes, let me know how to migrate to Chameleon RC3 as it doesn´t have an Installer Pacakge and I don´t know where it goes the Chameleon files after installation.

This may be the root of your problem.....I think that

If you have Leopard and SL volumes on the same HDD.......and Leopard 10.5.8 is using mach_kernel.voodoo in its com.apple.Boot.plist and SL is using the vanilla mach_kernel in its com.apple.boot.plist.....and if you try to boot to SL from the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 installed to your Leopard 10.5.8 partition it will use the boot file it loads for booting Leopard to boot SL.....AND if you try to boot to Leopard from the Chameleon 2.0 RC/RC3 + SL boot file installed to your SL partition it will use the boot file it loads for booting SL to boot Leopard......

I say this because I cannot boot to SL from my Leopard Chameleon bootloader and cannot boot to Leopard from my SL Chameleon bootloader in the case of both OS's on the same HDD but in different volumes......

Leave your USB Installer flash drive in and boot from it via BIOS boot menu, then use its Chamelon bootloader to boot from your SL partition on the HDD.......

the thing is: - your boot132 dvd worked like a charm

- the installation won't start, will always get a kernel panic.

i thought the problem was NullCpuPowerManagement.kext wasn't taking over AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.kext so i deleted it (the latter) but that didn't work either.

i'm going crazy. i don't know what else to try.

thank you.

juanma

Just remind me......you have a working SL system on a GPT partition on a HDD in your PC but are having difficulty putting it onto a MBR partition on a HDD in your PC......correct or not......?

Have you tried both Disk Utility and CCC to clone from the GPT to the MBR volume.....?

Incorrect. :)

I installed the Snow Leopard but don´t know if it´s working because every time I try to boot into it I have KP. I believe there will be no problem to keep the Snow Leopard in the GPT/HFS+ partition if this helps. :)

I installed SL into the GPT/HFS+ partition that I called MACINTOSH-HD. Installation process ran really smooth.

I have install log to show you. Here it goes.

Installer_Log_23_Sep_2009_SL.txt

Here it goes too, the Disk Utility Installer Log from the Restore Process creating the USB Installer.

DU_InstallerLog_Restore.rtf

What is happening is that every time I try to boot into the Snow Leopard partition, I have a KP.

But I use Chameleon RC2 to boot my Leopard 10.5.8 partition and I´m using the same bootloader to boot into the Snow Leopard partition. So I asked myself... could this be the problem? Since I used boot file from RC3 when I created the Installer.

Cheers.

OK......you cannot boot into the SL system on the GPT/HFS+ partition.......

Yeah.

That´s correct.

Snow Leopard is installed but cannot but into it.

Don´t know for sure if you read one edit of my last post, but I´ll write it here again.

I´m trying to boot into Snow Leopard(GPT/HFS+) with Chameleon 2.0 RC2 that is the same bootloader I use to start my Leopard(MBR/HFS+). Could this be a problem?

Cheers.

EDIT

Some pics of my MACINTOSH-HD after the Snow Leopard installation. Take a look to see if helps.

post-223908-1253746716_thumb.png | post-223908-1253746348_thumb.png | post-223908-1253746395_thumb.png | post-223908-1253746852_thumb.png

Cheers again.

I´m able to install SL into the GPT/HFS+ partition that I called MACINTOSH-HD. I can install it nice. I have install log to show you. Here it goes.

Here it goes too, the Disk Utility Installer Log from the Restore Process creating the USB Installer.

What is happening is that every time I try to boot into the Snow Leopard partition, I have a KP.

But I use Chameleon RC2 to boot my Leopard 10.5.8 partition. So I asked myself... could this be the problem? Since I used boot file from RC3 when I created the Installer.

Cheers.

the thing is: - your boot132 dvd worked like a charm

- the installation won't start, will always get a kernel panic.

i thought the problem was NullCpuPowerManagement.kext wasn't taking over AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement.kext so i deleted it (the latter) but that didn't work either.

i'm going crazy. i don't know what else to try.

thank you.

juanma

How are you attempting to boot into SL....?

I will be back online in an hour or so.......

I installed the Snow Leopard but don´t know if it´s working because every time I try to boot into it I have KP. I believe there will be no problem to keep the Snow Leopard in the GPT/HFS+ partition if this helps. :)

I installed SL into the GPT/HFS+ partition that I called MACINTOSH-HD. Installation process ran really smooth.

I have install log to show you. Here it goes.

But I use Chameleon RC2 to boot my Leopard 10.5.8 partition and I´m using the same bootloader to boot into the Snow Leopard partition. So I asked myself... could this be the problem? Since I used boot file from RC3 when I created the Installer.

Cheers.

hey, when you're in verbose mode and have a kernel panic, what messages do you get?

because the same thing happens to me, i can install but once installed it won't start.

How are you attempting to boot into SL....?

I will be back online in an hour or so.......

I select the drive i want to boot from in the bios boot prompt (external hdd in my case) and the chameleon (RC1 with efi 10) boot menu appears showing me all the drives inside my pc (Leopard 10.5.6, Windows NTFS, DATA and Snow_Leopard)

I choose Snow_Leopard and boot with -v

Then, all the kexts begin to load and when everything finishes, i get the kernel panic.

BTW, i tried with this and nothing helps: -v -x -f -x32 arch=i386 cpus=1

EDIT 1

Want to know why the heck it wasn't working? Because os the frikkin chameleon rc1+efi 10.

installed rc3 and everyting started to work.

let's see how this goes on

EDIT 2

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!! thanks for all the help. So, if you get a kernel panic with rc1 and efi 10, try rc3.