nForce OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) RETAIL INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

Snow Leopard on nForce + Intel CPU MOBO in Desktop  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Have you successfully installed a working, bootable Snow Leopard system?

• Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using the USB flash drive installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using verdant's nForceSLBoot132DVD installer method
    • Yes, on a Series 7 (750i, 780i, or 790i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (650i or 680i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • Yes, on a Series 6 (610i or 630i) nForce chipset Intel CPU MOBO, using OSInstall.mpkg method from Leopard to another HDD/volume
    • No, none of the above methods has worked for me
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to go over to the "light" side....Intel chipset MOBO.....
    • I have sold or plan to sell my nForce chipset MOBO to buy a "real" Mac
  2. 2. Would you say that your Snow Leopard system is working to your satisfaction (e.g. compared to Leopard)

• 100%
    • 90%
    • 80%
    • 70%
    • 60%
    • 50%
    • <50%
    • Are you running 10.6.1 successfully , having auto-updated without any problems
    • Are all the standard Apple applications running OK
  3. 3. Is your Snow Leopard system working 100% on

• SATA HDD
    • SATA DVDRW including burning disks
    • PATA (IDE) HDD
    • PATA (IDE) DVDRW including burning disks
    • Video
    • Onboard LAN (Ethernet)
    • USB devices (mounting/unmounting), plus USB keyboard and USB mouse
    • Firewire
    • PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    • Audio including Front Panel headphones and microphone
    • Audio except Front Panel headphones
    • Audio except Front Panel microphone
    • Sleep including waking from sleep
    • PCI NIC
    • eSATA
    • Bluetooth
    • WiFi
    • Time Machine
    • Overclocking
    • Auto Software Update e.g. to 10.6.1

2,142 posts in this topic

i used SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM-v3.5 dvd and set my bios according to instructions.the bootloader just keeps restarting my pc.

PC CONFIG

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8200

XFX NFORCE 780I SLI

2X2 GB DDR2 RAM

2 WD SATA HARDISKS 600+700 GB

LG SATA DVD RW

2 x nvidia 9600 gt

I tried removing one harddisk and one graphics card, but it still had the same problem.I used the slboot132dvd and it gave me the error panic{cpu caller 0x550993}:"unable to find driver for this platform:\acpi\

and it tells me to restart my pc.

Any help will be appreciated.

i used SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM-v3.5 dvd and set my bios according to instructions.the bootloader just keeps restarting my pc.

PC CONFIG

INTEL CORE 2 DUO E8200

XFX NFORCE 780I SLI

2X2 GB DDR2 RAM

2 WD SATA HARDISKS 600+700 GB

LG SATA DVD RW

2 x nvidia 9600 gt

I tried removing one harddisk and one graphics card, but it still had the same problem.I used the slboot132dvd and it gave me the error panic{cpu caller 0x550993}:"unable to find driver for this platform:\acpi\

and it tells me to restart my pc.

Any help will be appreciated.

I did try SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM-v3.5 once before writing my guide and the PC just rebooted.....

Have you tried following my Install Guide in this thread?

If you have the Retail Snow Leopard Install DVD then use my nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW.iso, or use the USB install method.....

Your problem is typically seen either with

a "bad" DSDT.aml file or no DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra depending on the Chameleon bootloader version

and/or

a corrupted Extensions.mkext in /Extra and/or in /System/Library/ and /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup......

Extensions.mkext files are built differently in Snow Leopard to the way they are in Leopard.........you can try KextUtility.v.2.4.2.full.SL.x64.ready.by.cVad.zip

to rebuild the Extensions.mkext......or not bother with it in /Extra.......see the explanation for this in my guide......

I did try SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM-v3.5 once before writing my guide and the PC just rebooted.....

Have you tried following my Install Guide in this thread?

If you have the Retail Snow Leopard Install DVD then use my nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW.iso, or use the USB install method.....

Your problem is typically seen either with

a "bad" DSDT.aml file or no DSDT.aml in / or in /Extra depending on the Chameleon bootloader version

and/or

a corrupted Extensions.mkext in /Extra and/or in /System/Library/ and /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup......

Extensions.mkext files are built differently in Snow Leopard to the way they are in Leopard.........you can try KextUtility.v.2.4.2.full.SL.x64.ready.by.cVad.zip

to rebuild the Extensions.mkext......or not bother with it in /Extra.......see the explanation for this in my guide......

the main problem is i dont have another rig running on mac otherwise i would have used your method from the guide.

if there is an alternative using windows please tell.

the main problem is i dont have another rig running on mac otherwise i would have used your method from the guide.

if there is an alternative using windows please tell.

Best way:

Set up two volumes for OS X.....install a basic Leopard system first using a distro such as iPC 10.5.6 and use that to prepare a USB flash drive installer and/or nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW DVD.......you can also use Leopard to set up /Extra on the Snow Leopard volume........you can then, if you wish, set up a backup Snow Leopard system in place of the Leopard system.....

Alternatively, use TransMac via Windows to prepare a USB flash drive installer, or use TransMac or Windows to burn my nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW.iso to DVD

chameleon_2.0-rc2 is the bootloader on the disk. i tried iatkos 1.0i on the same rig but to no avail so i thought i should try the snow leopard and it would offer more support ,but it did'nt.

See my Series 7 nForce chipset + Intel CPU MOBO thread.......post #1......and my blog OS X Leopard install guides.......if you get Leopard up and running OK, then Snow Leopard should be even easier......

if i replace the Extensions.mkext file in iso/system/library to one configured for my motherboard,any chance it will work?

It all depends on the kextcaching and permissions settings of your /S/L/E being done correctly.....

• 2 weeks later...
German

Es Läuft jetzt in der IDE und S-ATA Variante. Es kommt leider noch sehr oft vor das der Ruhezustand erst nach ca. 2 Minuten aktiv wird. Darum Gedult haben.

Mein Test System:

Mobo : Asus P5N-E SLI

Speicher : 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Lan : Realtek 8139

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo

Leider muss mann im Bios ein paar Sachen wie OnBoard Lan, OnBoard FireWire und JMicron S-ATA abschalten da sonst der Ruhezustand nicht geht. Darum ist es wichtig wenn mann den Ruhezustand nutzen will sich eine Externe Lan Karte zu besorgen. Die Treiber werde ich erst später nachreichen da ich noch was Testen möchte.

Englisch

It now expires in the IDE and S-ATA version. Unfortunately it happens very often before the rest of the state until after about 2 minutes is active. So have patience.

My test system:

Mobo : Asus P5N-E SLI

Memory : 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Lan : Realtek 8139

GPU : NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo

Unfortunately, man in the bios a few things like onboard lan, onboard FireWire and JMicron S-ATA as otherwise disable the hibernation does not work. Therefore it is important if man wants to use it to sleep to get an External LAN card. The drivers I will later to hand as I want to try something else.

Hi artsin,

Are you saying you are able to install Snow using P5N-E SLI mobo?

That is the same motherboard that I have. I am able to create a bootable USB (from 10A432) using the guide in this thread, but when I try to install on a MBR partitioned IDE drive, I get a kernel panic.

At installation, under "Customize", I deselected all checkboxes, but it always panics at this point during installation.

Looking at the install log, the last few lines are this:

118 Nov 28 20:05:05 localhost OSInstaller[148]: Remote packages size (27408027857) : available size (15970390016)

119 Nov 28 20:05:05 localhost OSInstaller[148]: Copying remote packages (23) to mutable product

120 Nov 28 20:05:06 localhost OSInstaller[148]: Retrieved Package com.apple.pkg.iChat

121 Nov 28 20:05:48 localhost OSInstaller[148]: Retrieved Package com.apple.pkg.Essentials

122 Nov 28 20:05:49 localhost OSInstaller[148]: Retrieved Package com.apple.pkg.iCal

123 Nov 28 20:05:49 localhost OSInstaller[148]: Retrieved Package com.apple.pkg.Mail

124 Nov 28 20:05:50 localhost OSInstaller[148]: Retrieved Package com.apple.pkg.DVDPlayer

125 Nov 28 20:05:50 localhost OSInstaller[148]: Retrieved Package com.apple.pkg.AdditionalEssentials

126 Nov 28 20:05:50 localhost OSInstaller[148]: Retrieved Package com.apple.pkg.JavaTools

Please see attached pictures.

Thanks in advance

post-202655-1259474392_thumb.jpg

post-202655-1259474789_thumb.jpg

@ toloot

The OSInstall.mpkg approach for installing is often problematic.........

An alternative option is to install Snow Leopard onto a GPT/HFS+ partition/formatted USB flash drive (8GB or larger) or onto a external USB HDD and then clone it to your desktop MBR volume.....

hi guys,

I had to reinstall SL because SL messed up on me and after rebuilding with DW (whoops) trying to reinstall now i have succesfully reinstalled but i cannot boot into SL soon as i select SL in chameleon i get a KP and it doesnt state anything obvious to me...

Npvhash=4095

PAW enabled

64 bit mode enabled

Panic(cpu 0 Caller 0x2a6ac2) kernel trap at 0x00508684

then alot more codes

I get this now when ever i try to run the SL installation disk and when ever i try to log into my SL boot

im running chamaleon 2 RC1 with efi boot 1.1

I cant think of anything that could be causing the problem anymore some help would be appreciated

thanks guys

Could someone upload all these files somewhere else other than rapidshare?

I've been trying to download them for hours, and it still won't let me :)

Snow_Support_Files_V2

nForceSLBoot132DVD

nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW

EFIStudio.1.1

Maybe http://www.mediafire.com/ or any other uploading site? Please, and Thank You.

Nevermind, I found some here!:

nForceSLBoot132DVD

nForceSLBoot132DVD_for _SATA_DVDRW

Edit:

Alright I need some help. The specs of the computer are as listed in my sig. I followed the guide using Part F and went through the entire guide from top to bottom. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. :P

KP:

post-233179-1259804754_thumb.jpg

Could someone upload all these files somewhere else other than rapidshare?

I've been trying to download them for hours, and it still won't let me :(

Snow_Support_Files_V2

nForceSLBoot132DVD

nForceSLBoot132DVD_for_SATA_DVDRW

EFIStudio.1.1

Maybe http://www.mediafire.com/ or any other uploading site? Please, and Thank You.

Nevermind, I found some here!:

nForceSLBoot132DVD

nForceSLBoot132DVD_for _SATA_DVDRW

Edit:

Alright I need some help. The specs of the computer are as listed in my sig. I followed the guide using Part F and went through the entire guide from top to bottom. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. :(

KP:

post-233179-1259804754_thumb.jpg

The first problem kext appears to be IOATAPIProtocolTransport (2.5.0) and then other IO*.kexts and the AppleNForceATA kext.......with the initial kernel panic related to 32bit versus 64bit memory accessing because you have more than 3GB RAM installed.....

So, the system panics with the following message type in the kernel panic log:

panic(cpu X caller 0xXXXXXXXX): getPhysicalSegment() out of 32b range

0xXXXXXXXX, len 0xXXXX, class IOGeneralMemoryDescriptor.......

AFAIK the reason is that getPhysicalSegment returns a 32 bit address but because the physical memory address cannot fit in 32 bits a panic occurs.....which invariably happens when more than 3GB of RAM is installed on the MOBO.....

Have you installed slashack's AppleNForceATA v0.1 kext yet?......if not, then you should do so because it supports 64bit memory addressing.......and boot Snow Leopard in 32bit mode....

Even with slashack's AppleNForceATA v0.1 kext installed, which enables use of >3GB RAM without any problems for 99% of the time, there still seem to be some apps that cause memory addressing kernel panics either during installation or during large data file transfers e.g. video/audio files......

hi guys,

I had to reinstall SL because SL messed up on me and after rebuilding with DW (whoops) trying to reinstall now i have succesfully reinstalled but i cannot boot into SL soon as i select SL in chameleon i get a KP and it doesnt state anything obvious to me...

Npvhash=4095

PAW enabled

64 bit mode enabled

Panic(cpu 0 Caller 0x2a6ac2) kernel trap at 0x00508684

then alot more codes

I get this now when ever i try to run the SL installation disk and when ever i try to log into my SL boot

im running chamaleon 2 RC1 with efi boot 1.1

I cant think of anything that could be causing the problem anymore some help would be appreciated

thanks guys

Are there any kext related error messages?

Try Chameleon 2.0 RC3 and PCI_EFI 10.5.......

Thanks for helping!

Well considering I do have 6 GB's of Ram. I'll take some out and see if it makes a difference. I did try slashacks kext, and anv's and Medevils AppleNForceATA. I got a kernel panic each time. I guess I'm going to have to take more photos in that case. Because I definitely noticed different kernal panic messages.

I'll go through your guide a little more, and just check over the steps to make sure I did things right. You definitely reccomend installing chameleon RC1 with netkas 10.1 correct? (Thats what I've been using.)

So I just tried Slashacks again just for fun. And I got this KP:

post-233179-1259869764_thumb.jpg

Then I reformatted my partition and redid all the steps, tried it with only 2 GB's of RAM, and got this:

post-233179-1259871235_thumb.jpg

Woohoo! It works! :D Verdant <3

Now to boot....

Anyone know why my monitor would lose signal while booting + 2 minutes later the computer restarts itself?

I'm guessing this is a graphics issue? Any advice?

Actually I tried booting off of the nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso and it works! :D, no idea why. :) Sound doesn't work.

Finally though, vanilla yumminess :)

Other Good News!: My built in NIC on my XFX 680i works with the nforcelan.kext out of the box! Never has been that easy on any Hackintosh to date for me :) Updated to 10.6.2 and all other updates working 100%!

Thanks for helping!

Well considering I do have 6 GB's of Ram. I'll take some out and see if it makes a difference. I did try slashacks kext, and anv's and Medevils AppleNForceATA. I got a kernel panic each time. I guess I'm going to have to take more photos in that case. Because I definitely noticed different kernal panic messages.

I'll go through your guide a little more, and just check over the steps to make sure I did things right. You definitely reccomend installing chameleon RC1 with netkas 10.1 correct? (Thats what I've been using.)

So I just tried Slashacks again just for fun. And I got this KP:

post-233179-1259869764_thumb.jpg

Then I reformatted my partition and redid all the steps, tried it with only 2 GB's of RAM, and got this:

post-233179-1259871235_thumb.jpg

Woohoo! It works! :D Verdant <3

Now to boot....

Anyone know why my monitor would lose signal while booting + 2 minutes later the computer restarts itself?

I'm guessing this is a graphics issue? Any advice?

Actually I tried booting off of the nForceSLBoot132DVD.iso and it works! :D , no idea why. :D Sound doesn't work.

Finally though, vanilla yumminess :)

Other Good News!: My built in NIC on my XFX 680i works with the nforcelan.kext out of the box! Never has been that easy on any Hackintosh to date for me :)

Re check all you BIOS settings.....

Re graphics......assuming you have the correct graphics string or a working injector kext loading, you could swap the monitor cable to the other graphics card port......

Re sound......it depends on your MOBO audio chipset/codec.......VoodooHDA may work for you, or chipset specific SL audio kext(s).......or you may need a audio-modded DSDT.aml plus legacy kext for your chipset.....

Can you boot off your SL HDD volume now?

I haven't been able to get it to boot off of the HDD yet.

I fixed the audio using azalia kext, and repairing extensions.mkext + I added the nforcelan.kext from within your nforceboot132DVD into my extensions folder.

Both Audio + Network now work ;)

Now just need my bootloader to <3 my SL HDD. I'll play with Graphics options see if I can get it work correctly. I tried booting with -pci0 to see if it would help, and it actually made the problem happen faster....

I installed some kext for SL, Natit, NVEnabler64, and NVInject. It all works, but my HDD booting still gives me trouble. I wish I knew why, I'll keep researching the problem among other users. I forgot/realized chameleon should be working. And its not....I'm guessing thats why Snow Leopard doesn't want to boot other than through boot discs.

I installed chameleon exactly how you said to in your guide. Idk why it wouldn't work properly :/, maybe I need to flag the SL partition?

I haven't been able to get it to boot off of the HDD yet.

I fixed the audio using azalia kext, and repairing extensions.mkext + I added the nforcelan.kext from within your nforceboot132DVD into my extensions folder.

Both Audio + Network now work :)

Now just need my bootloader to <3 my SL HDD. I'll play with Graphics options see if I can get it work correctly. I tried booting with -pci0 to see if it would help, and it actually made the problem happen faster....

I installed some kext for SL, Natit, NVEnabler64, and NVInject. It all works, but my HDD booting still gives me trouble. I wish I knew why, I'll keep researching the problem among other users. I forgot/realized chameleon should be working. And its not....I'm guessing thats why Snow Leopard doesn't want to boot other than through boot discs.

I installed chameleon exactly how you said to in your guide. Idk why it wouldn't work properly :/, maybe I need to flag the SL partition?

I assume you set root permissions on your OS X HDD before installing OS X......run diskutil list via Terminal to see if the OS X volume is an active partition......if not, make it active by flagging it........

I tried flagging the partition and now I have

"boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: done

boot1: error_"

Being Displayed :/

I feel like something went wrong now...Confused

(I'm gonna use a faster loading boot disc like EE for now on until I get the bootloader working. NforceBoot132DVD takes a while to load everytime I need to restart :/)

Okay so as a last effort to get something nice going on here, I formatted a random usb I had laying around and installed chameleon RC3 + 10.5 netkas on it + extra folder. It works fine. If anyone has any idea why the HDD is being crazy, please...give me your two cents. I have 2 OS's on 1 hard drive. Leopard + Snow Leopard are both bootable.

I tried flagging the partition and now I have

"boot0: GPT

boot0: done

boot1: error_"

Being Displayed :/

I feel like something went wrong now...Confused

(I'm gonna use a faster loading boot disc like EE for now on until I get the bootloader working. NforceBoot132DVD takes a while to load everytime I need to restart :/)

Okay so as a last effort to get something nice going on here, I formatted a random usb I had laying around and installed chameleon RC3 + 10.5 netkas on it + extra folder. It works fine. If anyone has any idea why the HDD is being crazy, please...give me your two cents. I have 2 OS's on 1 hard drive. Leopard + Snow Leopard are both bootable.

If you have two different OS X system volumes on the same HDD, each OS X system needs to use the correct /Extra directory when booting.......i.e. is /Extra for Leopard loading when you are apparently booting from Snow Leopard?.........see Section I. in my guide in post #455 on how to boot Snow Leopard from Leopard..... :angry2:

Yep, that was my problem. All better now :angry2:. Thanks so much for your help. Everything is now working 100%. (except sleep mode obviously, but I don't really use that anyways.) That was suprisingly the easiest troubleshooting I've ever done on a Hackintosh, yay Snow Leopard.

Yep, that was my problem. All better now :shock: . Thanks so much for your help. Everything is now working 100%. (except sleep mode obviously, but I don't really use that anyways.) That was suprisingly the easiest troubleshooting I've ever done on a Hackintosh, yay Snow Leopard.

Glad you got it sorted.....and glad to help....... ;)

I still have not had any time yet to sort out sleep on my own SL system using DSDT modding......my "real life" is too busy at present......it will have to wait until I have some holiday time..... :angry2:

First off thanks a lot for making this guide! It has been very helpful! Ok so now on with the question:

Ok so I followed your guide to boot from a GPT usb drive to install on a GPT HDD. I keep getting the same error. It will say:

DSMOS has arrived

Then it will say something about a warning and IntelCPUPowermanagment and something about the ACHI (which my 780i EVGA board doesn't have) and then the screen goes black. It is way to fast for me to take a pic of it to post. I have have tried for two day now to just get the SL install to boot and still haven't got it.

I also tried installing without the Disabler and NullCPUPM kexts in there. I then get another fast message that says something about CPU push and too fast to take a pic...

I have tried many different combos of getting this fixed and nothing has worked. Anything you can suggest? Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: So I think this is the error I get when the screen goes black:

acpi_smc_platformplugin::start - waitforservice(resourcematching(AppleintelCPUpowermanagement) timed out

Very close to that anyway... So what do you think? Can anyone help with this?

First off thanks a lot for making this guide! It has been very helpful! Ok so now on with the question:

Ok so I followed your guide to boot from a GPT usb drive to install on a GPT HDD. I keep getting the same error. It will say:

DSMOS has arrived

Then it will say something about a warning and IntelCPUPowermanagment and something about the ACHI (which my 780i EVGA board doesn't have) and then the screen goes black. It is way to fast for me to take a pic of it to post. I have have tried for two day now to just get the SL install to boot and still haven't got it.

I also tried installing without the Disabler and NullCPUPM kexts in there. I then get another fast message that says something about CPU push and too fast to take a pic...

I have tried many different combos of getting this fixed and nothing has worked. Anything you can suggest? Any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

EDIT: So I think this is the error I get when the screen goes black:

acpi_smc_platformplugin::start - waitforservice(resourcematching(AppleintelCPUpowermanagement) timed out

Very close to that anyway... So what do you think? Can anyone help with this?

Check your BIOS settings against the OS X settings template in my Series7 nForce Leopard thread and also, if in /Extra you have an Extensions.mkext, file remove it and confirm that in /Extra/Extensions, you have the required kexts,.....then reboot OS X with

-v debug=0x100

and report what happens.....