D945GCLF2 Snow Leopard

248 posts in this topic

Please ... I own a micro PC built with this mainboard and i am a complete noob ... I really do not know much about programming and hacking ... Can i install a Server Mac OSX on it ? Without too much hassle ? Is there any tutorial on how to do it or do i have to start learnig and reading and fail a thousand times where all the others have failed , just to post here after several months that i have succeded ? Thank you very much .

Hi, can anyone that have 100% working copy of 10.6.2 on D945GCLF2 perhaps state what is needed for the installation. SL iso release, kext, dsdt etc.

Really appreciate the help.

Heads up to everyone that contributed to this tread.

Thanks

P.S. I'm only interested in running 32bit mode

Can anyone confirm if they have wake on demand enabled; this is indicated by the "Wake for Ethernet Network Access" in energy prefs. If so, let me know what DSDT and Kexts are loaded

thanks

OK, first up a big thanks to everyone in this thread.

I managed to get my file server (this is the function of the machine for me, it is not running the server version of OSX) upgraded from 10.5.6 to 10.6.2 using the information here (after about a week of trying).

This machine is my first hack build and this is my first time attempting an upgrade process, so needless to say I have learned a lot.

I am currently running with

Teateams kernel

Damien Valentine's DSDT and using his instructions in post 1.

I can't stress how much you should make sure you have the same settings in the BIOS as he states there as I had missed one setting and it caused me all sorts of problems.

There are only a couple of things I am doing differently

I did the install and upgrade via USB from my macbook, once I was at 10.6.2 I started installing the needed kext etc.

I have hyperthreading enabled (I assume this is because I use Teateams kernel)

I can not get sound going with the voodoo kext so have removed it for now (will try again shortly)

Sleep is not working, well it is working but not waking the display back up, anyone have any ideas here? Could this be because I am booting in 64 bit? How do I boot in 32 bit?

I have a few lines of minor errors to do with the UUID but I am not too sure how to change that to make it right for my system. It doesn't seem to cause any problems though but I would like to know where to edit in the DSDT to fix it.

I had to add the realtekR1000.kext because even though the ethernet was working bonjour was not and this was causing me connection problems from the server to other machines, making it very slow to connect to the server and screen sharing was not working. After the kext was added it's been fine.

I have been using a tool called [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to install PC EFI 10.6 and to rebuild my extensions etc. It also has a bunch of kext in it but mainly geared towards p55 builds. http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/02/mul...stallation.html

MY last problem is that the display will not sleep, it just stops updating what ever is on screen and leaves a static image. This resumes normal function once the mouse is moved. Does anyone else have this problem? It's easy to see by setting the display sleep to one min and having a web page up with something animated on it.

Awesome work everyone

Update,

I got the sound going. I did not realize that it was necessary to install the voodooHDA.kext to s/l/e/ and remove the appleHDA.kext. I was installing it to e/e before. Sound works now but the right channel is quieter through the headphone output for some reason. Line out is correct.

I also tried installing the slicevoodoHDA but couldn't get that to work by following the instructions.

Bias

• 2 weeks later...

The patched mach_kernel 10.3.0 for Atom-based netbooks is working fine on my Intel D945GCLF2. 10.6.3 feels faster than 10.6.2, but that could be an illusion.

I am using the attached DSDT.aml. It's a modified version of DamienValentine's 2009-11-13 dsdt. All I have done is remove the entry for the PCI WLAN card. It blocked my eSATA card.

This is my setup:

Chameleon Chameleon-2.0-RC3 + PCEFI 10.6 boot file.

/Extra/Extensions

EvOreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

/System/Library/Extensions/

RealtekR1000SL.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

I recommend using Lizard.app to set up your com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist files.

You can download fakesmc.kext here.

You may want to download the RealtekR1000SL.kext that works in Snow Leopard.

VoodooHDA enables the Mic port and some of the front panel audio. Download it here. You can read more about it in English if you prefer that to Russian. ;)

All the rest is vanilla. The only thing that is puzzling me is that the Intel GMA 950 drivers still appear to be 32-bit only. If someone can shed some light on the claims of previous posts that you can run this board with a 64-bit kernel, please do.

Don't forget to remove the AppleHDA.kext if you are using VoodooHDA.kext.

Here is a version of teateam's installation instructions (moving from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3) modified for this board:

1. Download the Combo update 10.6.3

2. Download the patched kernel

3. Download the new SleepEnabler.kext (I use EvOreboot.kext instead)

4. Delete /System/Library/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext (if you used it previously)

5. Run the update process

6. Don't restart: replace the kernel first (see teatime's video for that)

7. Reboot

8. Go to /System/Library/Extensions and remove the newly installed AppleHDA.kext if you are using VoodooHDA

9. Copy the new SleepEnabler.kext to /System/Library/Extensions (alternatively EvOreboot.kext)

10. Run Kext Utility.app

11. Reboot

12. Done

DSDT.aml.zip

Here is a version of teateam's installation instructions (moving from 10.6.2 to 10.6.3) modified for this board:

1. Download the Combo update 10.6.3

12. Done

Thanks for reporting that it's so simple! My setup is hardly different from yours. I'm using an EFI Boot Partition though. The combo update didn't want to install on my OS partition, which perhaps is due to the fact that it is not on the first partition. I could however install simply using software update. Here is my version, slightly different, also working:

1. Download teateam's kernel as g3power indicated.

2. SleepEnabler idem dito.

3. Place teateam's kernel in / but under a different name than mach_kernel. E.g. mach_kernel_atom, or anything else (see teateam's video).

4. Edit com.apple.boot.plist such that it contains the lines:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel_atom</string>

(or whatever name you gave the kernel)

5. Put the new SleepEnabler.kext in your Extra/Extensions folder, or Extra/10.6/Extensions, depending on your setup.

6. Run software update to install 10.6.3.

7. wait for a long time (my atom took about 30 minutes or so to complete the installation).

I did make a backup of my /System/Library/Extensions folder prior to updating, but I didn't have to revert any kext's. All custom kexts are in /Extra/10.6/Extensions. The only custom kext that I have in /S/L/E is IONetworkingFamily.kext, and apparently that is not touched by the update (remember that I didn't do the combo update).

The kext's I have in /Extra/10.6/Extensions:

IOATAFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext (redundant: must be in /S/L/E)

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

Here are the relevant lines of my com.apple.boot.plist:

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel_atom</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

Cheers!

@g3power your instructions seem clear and i think i could follow them but will they work for the single core Intel D945GCLF.. also would i need to switch to your DSDT... ive been stuck on 10.6.1 because i havnt been able to update my atom motherboard.. if u can help, thank you!!

@g3power your instructions seem clear and i think i could follow them but will they work for the single core Intel D945GCLF.. also would i need to switch to your DSDT... ive been stuck on 10.6.1 because i havnt been able to update my atom motherboard.. if u can help, thank you!!

I'm really sorry to say that all I can do is guess what the result in your case might be: I don't think the DSDT will work for you as is.

That said, I recommend just using a DSDT utility (I used DSDTSE.app) and start by ripping the settings you are currently using to a DSDT file and use that. Everything else should work for you as described above.

The most important thing is to have backups. Specifically bootable backups in addition to a Time Machine backup.

I always add two system partitions to my system. One as the first partition and another as the last. Both should optimally have exactly identical size, which is not always that easy to achieve. Do your research here. At the end of the day identical size makes cloning faster because you can use block level copies.

In any case you can use something like the great SuperDuper! to do clones of a running OS. I use this before any changes to my system:

1. do a Time Machine backup

2. clone to the last partition with SuperDuper

3. boot from the clone (use Chameleon to switch to that partition)

4. make a disk image of the primary system partition and save it to the disk you also use for Time Machine

5. boot from the first partition and do whatever upgrades I want

If anything should go wrong you can always just boot the last partition and use that to do work that is urgent or scan the disk image to prepare it for a restore and restore it to the primary. After the restore everything is back to where I started and all I have lost is a little time.

Should you get an unstable system and only realize that after doing some work on the primary just backup your work, restore the disk image and restore your data from backup.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone confirm if they have idle sleep working? anything special to get it going?

The only thing that doesn't work for me is the front panel mic input. Sleeps is fine. I have yet to get suspend-to-disk working, though. Normal sleep works.

TO FIX: Wake on LAN (RealtekE1000SL breaks WOL capability)

RealtekE1000SL does not break WOL for me. As a matter of fact I just woke up my Atom from this PowerBook a few minutes ago. You may want to try setting your Ethernet settings to manual and a fixed line speed.

Hi all.

I reinstall SL 10.6.3 but i have a issue with kexts at S/L/E fakesmc, OpenHaltRestart, RealtekR1000SL and VoodooHDA downloaded from tea's blog (for hdd 10.6.3), copied and then used kext helper to fix permissions, but i have no audio :P

Sleep and restart works (tested into 32 bits)

If i atached a "normal" screen, like a 15" crt, GMA950 works with Q/E. If i replug VGA to Innolux 7" works with Q/E too; but if i turn on with 7" direcly, i have not Q/E enabled :( Into my car i cannot plug to another tft or crt before start the hackintosh ;)

--

I downloaded VoodooHDA and fakesmc ffrom kexts.com and no result, i have no audio :'(

--

Just deleted AppleHda! Audio works fine but just need help with QE/CI into 7" directly.

hi all !

one question to all of you that the D945CGLF2 is working under 10.6.X :

which version of bios are you running and what are your settings ?

i've tried so many way and still a CPU KP ...

i don't think there's a link but on another side my board is very noisy the fan is always to the maxspeed (bios settings doesn't change nothing).

i don(t remeber my bios ver (and i'm not in front of the beast)

i'll check what is my bios ver to compare with those you'll post.

thanks in advance

Are you in 32 bit or 64 for sleep to work? I can't get mine going in 64.

The only thing that doesn't work for me is the front panel mic input. Sleeps is fine. I have yet to get suspend-to-disk working, though. Normal sleep works.

RealtekE1000SL does not break WOL for me. As a matter of fact I just woke up my Atom from this PowerBook a few minutes ago. You may want to try setting your Ethernet settings to manual and a fixed line speed.

32-bit. The first 10.3.0 teateam kernel didn't work 64-bit and I have yet to try the fixed version.

hi,

after flashing the bios i could install mac os without KP.

well i'm under 10.6.3 (32bit) retail witn the mach_kernel_atom_10.3.0_MacOSX_10.6.3 with lots of things working :

all resolutions

QE/CI

HT

SLEEP

POWEROFF

LAN (seems to work but got a problem between my two Hack and don(t know where the problem is from)

and some other not :

64bit

SOUND even trying lots of kext (VoodooHDA wihtout appleHDA)

restart

legacy usb Keyboard (need a ps2 keyboard to enter the bios) but it's ok under mac os

so i get a very fast system with a 2"5 hd and only 1gb 533.

i'm really surprised by this mobo.

my SLE contents:

IONetworkingFamily.kext

VoodooHDA.kext XXXXXX not working

fakesmc.kext

RealtekR1000.kext XXXXXX i think i don't need it

AHCIPortInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

any suggestions for sound, restart and 64bits are very welcome

one thing more, i confirm that video lags occur under youtube, sad but vlc works great

hi all,

i'm really frustrated with this problem of sound.

i've tried everything i could but each time nothing appear in pref pane.

i resume:

with and without AppleHDA 10.6.3 or 10.6.2

with and without ALC662 or VoodooHDA

same problem, nothing is working

i think it comes from my dsdt.

the problem is that i don't know how to patch it.

so if some one could get a eye on it and tell me if there's a way to get sound

it would be very kind of him/her.

here is my DSDT

i've seen so much people under 10.6.0 but never under 10.6.3 i hope there will be an issue

because it's a great board and i don't want to change just for that.

ok

grace of g3power everything is working now.

when i say everything it's everything ...... in 32bit only

because even trying the teateam 64 bit kernel it doesn't boot.

if someone run 10.6.3 on a d945gclf2 under 64bit,

advises are always welcome.

PS: it seems that the DamienValentine DSDT is better (for video acceleration) that the one used by

g3power . i'm not sure of the one i've used finally but the one i've posted before is the best one for

all resolutions and QE/CI.

• 3 weeks later...

Cannot get past the AppleIntelPIIXPATA kernel panic.

Which IOATAFAmily.kext do I need?

Have created an Extra/Extensions folder with fakesmc.kext, IOATAFamily.kext from the link below, and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext,

tried with DSDT.aml or without.

I use D945GCFL2 with 0ne SATA disk and one SATA DVD. Use Chameleon bootloader.

Any hint more than welcome!