D945GCLF2 Snow Leopard

248 posts in this topic

Well. I tried qoopz kernel and voodoo 2 alpha 3. Voodoo refuses to boot at all, there is a conflict with fakeSMC, can be resolved with blacklist=0 so fakeSMC must load but still can't.

Qoopz works very well, no need in NullCPUPowerManagement and other disablers because qoopz blacklists bad kexts like AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Restart/sleep work with OpenHaltRestart/SleepEnabler. So I got Iceberg Package Manager and created custom package with fakeSMC, OpenHaltRestart, SleepEnabler, IOATAFamily, VoodooHDA, DSDT.aml and qoopz version of mach_kernel. Now my D945GCLF2D.pkg installs all of that without problems and I plan to slipstream this package straight into OS X distro. So I will be able to install Mac OS with all needed kexts and that will work without any error messages (DSDT manages _CST and qoopz eliminates Error 35).

But now I have another problem. HyperThreading still not works, and Wi-Fi works like {censored}. 802.11b/g card transfer files between two Hackintoshes with 1MB/sec. Peek SATA drive speed is 1.5MB/sec, but copying from drive to drive directly gives 33MB/sec, even from DVD to HDD. WTF? SATA problem or WiFi problem? And how is your progress, guys?

colleagues,

I have been following this thread for a few days now. I have read through it backwards and forwards, I just got my d945gclf2 with the intention of installing snow leopard server. Today I finally got it up and running, but with several issues that I need to resolve. Snow Server is practically the same as snow, I tested this on my other hackintosh.

Could you guys who are further in the process give us an overview of where you are in the process and possibly upload your latest DSDT, extensions, smbios, boot.plist?

I am using a mixture of files from here, so far i only have graphics and ehthernet (with no bonjour). NO Audio, Sleep, restart, and shutdown are not working. Also what bootloader are you using? I am using chameleon RC2 with the RC3 boot in /root.

my ext. are

AppleRTC.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOAHCIshow.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

Thanks in advance

colleagues,

I have been following this thread for a few days now. I have read through it backwards and forwards, I just got my d945gclf2 with the intention of installing snow leopard server. Today I finally got it up and running, but with several issues that I need to resolve. Snow Server is practically the same as snow, I tested this on my other hackintosh.

Could you guys who are further in the process give us an overview of where you are in the process and possibly upload your latest DSDT, extensions, smbios, boot.plist?

I am using a mixture of files from here, so far i only have graphics and ehthernet (with no bonjour). NO Audio, Sleep, restart, and shutdown are not working. Also what bootloader are you using? I am using chameleon RC2 with the RC3 boot in /root.

my ext. are

AppleRTC.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

IOAHCIshow.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

Thanks in advance

Hi

I've done the same thing yesterday ...

for the lan, you need the realtek1000 kext, it will give you full bonjour. (you can find it on kexts.com)

for the others things, i don't know, as I use it as a 24/7 server, i don't use the power button

THE DOCTOR IS IN THE HOUSE!!

well, it is all to the credit of everybody else here. As of now i have a fully functional osx 10.6.1 SERVER with the following things WORKING!!!:

HyperThreading (4 cores baby)

Sleep, shutdown, restart

LAN with full bonjour support

video

The only thing not working is Audio, but I will not even go there becuase I don't need it.

I have used a combination of methods from this post. I overlooked a post earlier that had info about mach_kernel.test7

I use this kernel, with the boot file and HT, sleep, shutdown, and restart worked all of a sudden. i am using damiens second DSDT

I also had o download the realtek drivers from the realtek website to get bonjour working properly.

as of now the configuration is a mix of many different contributors.

Thank you everybody!

I will post specifics later along with all of the files I am using.

cheers

Hi

for the lan, you need the realtek1000 kext, it will give you full bonjour. (you can find it on kexts.com)

for the others things, i don't know, as I use it as a 24/7 server, i don't use the power button

THE DOCTOR IS IN THE HOUSE!!

well, it is all to the credit of everybody else here. As of now i have a fully functional osx 10.6.1 SERVER with the following things WORKING!!!:

HyperThreading (4 cores baby)

Sleep, shutdown, restart

LAN with full bonjour support

video

The only thing not working is Audio, but I will not even go there becuase I don't need it.

I have used a combination of methods from this post. I overlooked a post earlier that had info about mach_kernel.test7

I use this kernel, with the boot file and HT, sleep, shutdown, and restart worked all of a sudden. i am using damiens second DSDT

I also had o download the realtek drivers from the realtek website to get bonjour working properly.

as of now the configuration is a mix of many different contributors.

Thank you everybody!

I will post specifics later along with all of the files I am using.

cheers

Congrats !!

I would get HyperThreading working too ... but I didn't find how to ...

that would be nice if you could explain how you managed to get it working

thanks in advance

Well, I can confirm that mach_kernel.test7 works on D945GCLF2D with all 4 cores started. I've got my copy from here http://rapidshare.com/files/270141107/mach_kernel_test7.rar but it doesn't work with native AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement so you should use NullCPUPowerManagement instead. Kernel doesn't have built-in blacklister or maybe I am missing something here but it seems that NullCPUPowerManagement is necessary. Too bad, qoopz has blacklister and I was very happy with that.

Thanks, nok6230.

Damien,

It is really mostly thanks to you that I was able to get it working. I have been at the hackintosh thing for about a year and a half, and I am surely not as knowledgeable as you or many others here. I am still using many of the techniques from your first post.

So yesterday my sever got really funky (it is the first time I am using snow server) and I had to do a re-install. I tried to recreate everything I had done before but I could not get it up. I ended up having to restore from a backup I had made right after I got bonjour working properly.

Have you been able to recreate the install? I cannot figure out what it is that I had done to get it working. I am hoping to be able to get an installer together I can just run after doing the retail install. I also dont know anything about the permissions, what needs to be set to what. It seems that yesterday after changing the permissions on the system drive I killed the whole thing again.

It would be great if you could outline the basic requirements to get the system started, that way I could start from scratch and build this installer.

Thanks for all your help,

Nok

Well, I can confirm that mach_kernel.test7 works on D945GCLF2D with all 4 cores started. I've got my copy from here http://rapidshare.com/files/270141107/mach_kernel_test7.rar but it doesn't work with native AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement so you should use NullCPUPowerManagement instead. Kernel doesn't have built-in blacklister or maybe I am missing something here but it seems that NullCPUPowerManagement is necessary. Too bad, qoopz has blacklister and I was very happy with that.

Thanks, nok6230.

Hi

I was able to make it go to sleep every 1 minute, and when there was some internet activity it would wake up. Saves a ton of power, and extends the life of the hard disks, as everything powers down. I only use it for time machine backup, torrent server, and print server.

Well, I can confirm that mach_kernel.test7 works on D945GCLF2D with all 4 cores started. I've got my copy from here http://rapidshare.com/files/270141107/mach_kernel_test7.rar

Hi guys, the news that HT works is fantastic! Although I just downgraded to 10.5.6 because of that. Before I upgrade again: can you say anything about the stability of the OS when you run with mach_kernel_test7?

I don't mind that you have to use kexts like NullCPUPM etc., because I do not really care about being able to perform a vanilla install. What I do care about is the potential final stability and speed. Is the system under 10.6.1 with that kernel at least as fast and stable as under 10.5.6?

Cheers, W

For me the OS is more stable than my other gigabyte board, with everything working perfectly, except audio which I don't care to fix. Boots in under 30 seconds.

I am almost done setting it up, but I dont want to post instructions until everything is working, and for me I will not take the risk of screwing up my system just for the audio, so someone else will have to do it.

I do have an DMG of my hard drive though, before the user setup and all, I can post this as a bit torrent if people are interested in running 10.6.1 server. All you would have to do is restore it to an HD and cheange the UUID's, and you are good to go. This baby transfers files about 3x faster than my airport disk did since the overhead of osx server is so low.

Cheers,

N

Hey Guys

I just installed the kernel_test 7 file and activated HT, and I ran a geekbench test

I just realized that I don't have 64 bit support anymore, as geekbench refuses to load 64 bit version ...

is that normal, or can I correct it ?

thanks in advance

Hey Guys

I just installed the kernel_test 7 file and activated HT, and I ran a geekbench test

I just realized that I don't have 64 bit support anymore, as geekbench refuses to load 64 bit version ...

is that normal, or can I correct it ?

thanks in advance

. . normal: it is a 32-bit kernel only [check the size against a vanilla kernel].

ok thanks for your fast answer ... anyway, HT support is best for me than 64 bit, and may be we'll be able to get both (one day ... ^^)
. . since the Atom330 is RAM-limited by 32-bit addressing; the main argument for 64-bit goes straight out of the door . . .

Yes, I much prefer 2+2 'cores' to 2 cores + 64-bit, given this choice.

Hey guys, I've been following this thread for the last couple weeks. This project is my first foray into Mac territory since grade school (Linux has been my primary OS for years now). I wanted to post my success as well as ask a question. It was rough getting started without having an existing Mac, but I did finally manage to get a SL setup running using Damien's initial method. This allowed me to do a fresh retail install so I now know exactly what was modified. I have two partitions I'm playing with (keeping one working at all times) so I have two different setups, but the simplest is this:

Snow Leopard qoopz kernel, anappirtrvh:xnu-1456.1.26/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 (http://prasys.co.cc/2009/10/sse2-kernel-fo...opard-intelamd/)

FakeSMC V2 and IOATAFamily.kext from Damien's original post (both in E/E, need to remove IOATAFamily for S/L/E)

Chameleon 2 RC3 with PCEFI 10.4 patched to default to pci=0

Ugokind's original DSDT (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1259891)

64-bit VoodooHDA.kext in S/L/E (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175372)

With this I was able to move up to 10.6.1 with no problems.

I've also tried the test7 kernel with this. The system still boots, but restart/shutdown doesn't work without OpenHaltRestart.kext, and PlatformUUID injection (from Ugokind's first attachment) is needed for the error type 35 issue. Sleep doesn't work with either kernel, but I do get HT with the test7 kernel. I can't boot into a 64-bit kernel because of the GMA950 kext and I can't wait to hear how lekr, THe KiNG, and others booted into a 64-bit kernel.

Many thanks to all of those who went before me. :D Now on to my one remaining question. I regret that this is my first real experience with OS X, so maybe I'm just misunderstanding what I've read. It sounds like a 32-bit kernel should be able to run 64-bit executables, correct? My Atom 330 does identify as an Intel Core 2 Duo (needed the CPU identification fix from PCEFI 10.4 for that), but when I try to run an executable compiled just for x86_64 (Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64, according to file) I get "Bad CPU type in executable". Does anybody else get this? Am I misunderstanding something. This came up in trying to compile Qt 4.5, but it proved out on a simple "hello world" that I compiled with -arch x86_64. Any light that could be shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Now on to my one remaining question. I regret that this is my first real experience with OS X, so maybe I'm just misunderstanding what I've read. It sounds like a 32-bit kernel should be able to run 64-bit executables, correct? My Atom 330 does identify as an Intel Core 2 Duo (needed the CPU identification fix from PCEFI 10.4 for that), but when I try to run an executable compiled just for x86_64 (Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64, according to file) I get "Bad CPU type in executable". Does anybody else get this? Am I misunderstanding something. This came up in trying to compile Qt 4.5, but it proved out on a simple "hello world" that I compiled with -arch x86_64. Any light that could be shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

This problem doesn't occur with a vanilla system. I am currently using this board with 10.5.8 and the kernel/System.kext from 10.5.6. It's running perfectly using the driver pack v2.5 + Realtek R1000.kext. Everything apart from front audio and audio-in works. 64-bit apps work and are a bit faster than their 32-bit counterparts. x86_64 does away with some old cruft from x86 and has more registers available, both of which make this a little faster.

This problem doesn't occur with a vanilla system. I am currently using this board with 10.5.8 and the kernel/System.kext from 10.5.6. It's running perfectly using the driver pack v2.5 + Realtek R1000.kext. Everything apart from front audio and audio-in works. 64-bit apps work and are a bit faster than their 32-bit counterparts. x86_64 does away with some old cruft from x86 and has more registers available, both of which make this a little faster.

Thanks for confirming my sanity. Last night I was able to borrow a Leopard disc and I got 10.5.7 up and running (didn't want to even try the update to 10.5.8) with the DSDT from my Snow Leopard install and I have full x86_64 support.

The problem is that I have no interest in running Leopard, I bought Snow Leopard for this machine (ordered the parts that same day too) after reading of the successes in this thread and elsewhere on the net. Is anyone else using ugokind's DSDT on Snow Leopard with x86_64 executable support? Anybody using Damien's latest DSDT in Snow Leopard? If so, with what kexts? For now I don't care about HT. I'll look into this after I get everything else as I need it.

Thanks again everyone.

I am running leopard server on this board now since 18 month, almost 24/7 and it works really great.

I will be buying a small ssd in the next days and it would be a good opportunity to update to snow leo.

I read through the whole thread and it seams to me that DamienValentine, ugokind, nok6230 and all the other

came a long way.

Wouldn't it be time to put together a guide!!!

nok6230 you wrote that you wanted to write one, did you start already?

DamienValentine you did all the work with the dsdt - it would really help to have some explanations or comments, so more people could optimize it without have to know everything from the beginning.

I am also willing to help but the dsdt stuff in new to me. Right now I am trying to get a chameleon boot cd running.

Thanks for the work

hi all.

I'm trying to install snow leopard into D945GCLF; i installed 10.5 before, and all works fine (except HT and mic)

But i need the mic, because i want to use it into a carpc and use it as handsfree. Without mic... no handsfree is possible.

Someone can tell me if mic works with 10.6?

Thanks

But i need the mic, because i want to use it into a carpc and use it as handsfree. Without mic... no handsfree is possible.

The mic works, if you use this VoodooHDA kext and the appropriate PrefPane from this post. The quality is OK. You can try my settings.

There is just one issue: the settings are lost every time you boot or wake from sleep! The work around is to run voodoohdahelper in this case.

Good Luck!

Hi to everyone. Before we start to create guides and tutorials, is there something we can slim even more? I mean, maybe we should merge OpenHaltRestart and SleepEnabler in one kernel extension instead of two if that is useful and possible. Currently I have one pkg file with all of kexts I use but it is buggy and there is no eye-candy like customize/install selected packages. Kexts I use:

• SleepEnabler
  • OpenHaltRestart
  • NullCPUPowerManagement
  • IOATAFamily
  • VoodooHDA
  • fakeSMC

Maybe we should merge first two kexts and request a built-in disabler in modbin's kernel. What do you think?

UPDATE:

And that's what I am talking about http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=682

I tried this fix and it worked. I cannot test for sure because I have no vanilla IOATAFamily.kext but I checked my log and there were no error messages regarding IDE ("Secondary IDE channel disabled" etc). I use test7 kernel by modbin.

Also you should check new reboot/shutdown fix from EvOReboot and other things regarding Intel Atom on stell's blog http://www.osx86.es/?p=749

Stellarolla states that Atom is back in 10.6.2 latest build but nothing is clear until final release.

And that's what I am talking about http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=682

I tried this fix and it worked. I cannot test for sure because I have no vanilla IOATAFamily.kext but I checked my log and there were no error messages regarding IDE ("Secondary IDE channel disabled" etc). I use test7 kernel by modbin.

I just thought I'd note that if it's an option for you (I'm using a single SATA HDD in this box) setting IDE/ATA mode to Legacy rather than Native allows me to use Damien's last posted DSDT and keep the vanilla IOATAFamily (with a vanilla kernel). For those who want to run in Native mode, I'm glad to see this DSDT fix though.

I will wait for positive feedback regarding this fix and then will update first post with new instructions. Credits should go to The King, because this was his fix and I just tested it. Also I plan to fix EHCI/UHCI in DSDT to force their "built-in" option - works well for me without that but I just want to keep things organized.

And I am still waiting for The King's DSDT. Can't wait to see what he got there :(. Draft version will be nice too.