Free .mac-style storage

Swad

120 posts in this topic

Yes, it is.

Sweet. Not bad.

This is going to sound a deplorable thing, but: I just experimented a bit and found that you can get as many friend referrals as you want if you mask your IP and keep signing up for new accounts, using your own invitation link. Since Box.net doesn't send validation codes to the e-mail you enter, you can make everything up. When you're done, just restore your old IP or mask to a different one before you login to your own account. You need to change it because if Box.net sees that your IP matches one of your recently invited friends, then that referral becomes invalid.

I know it's sneaky, but I have 15 invited "friends" now. :P

colonels1020, i see the source code on his web page

Yes, the source code for the main application is on sourceforge, and I have downloaded and recompiled that. The app works great exept for it not being able to login to Gmail. The reason for this is because there is a plugin file, "GMailCommunicator.plugin", that will not change over from PowerPC to Intel because it is a separate project. I have tried compiling it many times, but it stays PPC. To make it Intel, I would need it's specific source code and then compile that for Intel. Then I could put that file into gDisk and then it would work correctly.

In the mean time, you can use it under Rosetta until I get the source code for GMailCommunicator.plugin

Guest goodtime

Signed up. Logged in through Webdav. Cannot see the files that I upload.

Anyone else with this problem? Is it a permissions thing?

Guest goodtime

Box.net seems SLOW. Plus it does not seem to be compatible with Mac OS X's WebDAV.. Files are invisible on both PowerPC and Intel versions of 10.4.6

It works with Transmit and other WebDAV Clients, but then you might as well use FTP. If you are sharing files, simply FTP them to your www/ folder of your website and then email the http:// link to your friend.

I give box.net 2 out of 5 stars. Box.net needs work. Web 2.0 apps? I'll wait for Web 2.0.1

GT

If you're needing to drop a file quickly via transmit, you can use the drag-and-drop transit widget. Always nice to speed things up a little bit...

I'll be keeping my eyes and ears out for a better solution. :D

Thanks for posting this, guys, I've had a box.net account for a while but no easy way to access it. I tried that German one, but it was kind of slow and took a bit of guesswork to register (given that the entire site is in another language), and is much faster (though still not fast in general.)

Here's my referral link, link. Thanks muchly.

I am not sure if this will help, but I ran across this a couple of months ago. It would be awesome if we could get this whole "fake .mac" thing worked out. Link Oh yeah, and if anyone would like to use my referel link here it is: Link

Thanks,

Andrew

Just to let you know...

Spymac has a new offer: use Club for 30 days free, then if you invite 5 people, you get another 6 months free of charge. That is 3GB of POP/IMAP email + 3GB hosting space.

It's almost as good as Box.net....