HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

I have a stable setup in both 32 bit and 64 bit and thought I'd share my /Extra directory with other people that have the Asus P6T Deluxe V2. You can follow the first post through step II© to install Snow Leopard system and Chameleon RC2.

Then....

The "boot" file is from Chameleon RC3 and should be used in the first posts step II(d).

The dsdt.aml is for a Core i7 920 and it has a SATA fix in it from this post:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=564

All credit to The_King Warning from setup II(e) applies!

Use my files for Section III in first post. You can get the Kext Utility from the first post.

Continue from Section IV in first post.

Some notes...

I had to move VoodooHDA.kext to /S/L/E to get it working.

The device-properties string in com.boot.apple.plist is for an EVGA GTX260 896MB, I also have the Built-in Ethernet fix in that string so Time Machine will work. Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler and EthernetBuiltin options did not work for me but feel free to see if they work for you.

The fakesmc is v2 from netkas.org

I only have SATA so if you need IDE support you'll need the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from first post.

On first boot hit Tab key and type -v -f at the boot prompt to rebuild Extension cache.

Good luck!

There are updated files in post #123, these will be left here for posterity.

Is anyone able to make me a com.boot.apple.plist for a PNY GTX285 1024MB like the one above?

so i finally got snow leopard up and working...the next question i have...

is there any way to dual boot win7 and snow leopard if i use a raid array for win7 and a single sata drive for SL? I have to manually go into the bios currently land switch it from RAID to AHCI in order to boot between to two OS's. I can live with this if i have to, but i'd really like an easier way.

i tried both kext (vodoohda.kext and ad2000b.kext), buti i can't get sound works on my p6t deluxe v1.

Any suggestion.

i tried both kext (vodoohda.kext and ad2000b.kext), buti i can't get sound works on my p6t deluxe v1.

Any suggestion.

Any suggestion.

If you followed the first post in this guide and deleted the appleHDA.kext youll need to restore it if you are going to use the ad2000b kext. Also if memory serves, the_kings archive had more than one kext in it, make sure you use both. Once i restored the appleHDA kext my sound popped on without a reboot.

Good luck.

just use the chameleon graphics enabler... far simpler...

Asus p6t deluxe v2

6gb ddr3

evga gtx 285 1gb ddr3

2x WD 10000 rpm SATA

plextor sata dvd burner

Scott, thank you for the suggestion. The I found that using the GraphicsEnabler=YES switch in with the version of chameleon that was provided in the SL-resource pack from the author of this post did not like my video card. I installed the latest version of chameleon v2 rc3 and have now got graphics. thanks again for your replies!

Argh, I'm having issues with my install. I've been using a slightly modified version of dgobe's install due to my limitations.

The Mac I'm making the boot disk from is a PowerPC G4 with leopard, ruling out being able to install Snow Leopard on a volume. Instead I used myHack installer and a combination of dgobe's kexts.

1. I partition the jump drive using disk utility MBR, since I need to boot off a thumb drive.

2. Restore Snow Leopard using disk utility and making sure permissions are in check.

3. Here is where I use the myHack installer (http://osx86.sojugarden.com/) since Chameleon RC2 says its not able to work on my machine, I'm assuming since its a G4.

4. I use dgobe's kexts in the extras folder as per his instructions.

5. I boot of the thumbdrive, In the bios I make sure SATA is set to AHCI.

Here comes the issues. It loads all the way to the SL install screen. I proceed and when it reaches the point where it looks for a volume it install on it crashes. Every time, crashes.

Specs of my computer:

i7 920

Asus P6T V2 Deluxe

6Gb OCZ ram

XFX GTX 260

WD Caviar Black

I know it should work, since it's essentially the same computer dgobe has. Any ideas on why it crashes when it looks for volumes to install on? Am I missing something? Thanks guys, this topic is awesome.

I've done the same thing to create a USB flash drive that I can boot from if I need to repair something or restore a Time Machine backup.

Quick overview for those interested. Edit -- you should be able to do these steps from any Mac(Leopard/Snow Leopard). Instead of using the Chameleon installer you can just read and follow the manual installation steps that use the dd and fdisk commands. They should be in the binary download.

1)

Use Disk Utility to partition the stick...

I partitioned the stick using GUID and it works fine. HFS+ Journaled. MBR shouldn't be a problem either.

2)

Use Disk Utility to restore the DVD Image to the stick(in my case I used the retail DVD)

3)

Install Chameleon to the stick.

Copy netkas PC EFI 10.4 boot file to stick /Volumes/SLINSTALLER e.g.

4)

Copy Extra folder to the Stick.

5)

You may have to use fdisk to flag the partition as active to get it to boot properly....there are many tutorials out there.

I just tested and was able to boot from the stick and install to a USB attached drive with no problems. I think I've heard of people having problems with installs if the drive is connected on anything higher than the SATA0 or SATA1 connectors on the motherboard. You could try moving the drive to SATA0 and disconnecting any other drives to see if the problem clears. If not, maybe the installation disk image your are using is corrupted.

Can you re-upload the resource pack to a better hosting site? Rapidshare sucks pretty bad and everytime I click download (Free), the 60 second timer starts and at about 58 it redirects me to an um..."naughty" site...

If you followed the first post in this guide and deleted the appleHDA.kext youll need to restore it if you are going to use the ad2000b kext. Also if memory serves, the_kings archive had more than one kext in it, make sure you use both. Once i restored the appleHDA kext my sound popped on without a reboot.

I never removed appleHDA.kext and I'm using the ad2000b.kext from post #123; sound works but only from the front jacket (I have changed output device in system preferences).

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Any suggestions on what that could be wrong?

Kernel Panic...

Hello guys and first of all thank you to everybody that's contributing.

I am following the tutorial precisely but keep getting kernel errors.

last one is: panic(cou0 caller 0xffffff8000cbf74)

My hardware is:

p6t-deluxe v2

i7-920

6gig ram corsair xms3 ddr3

Any help would be great. I have succesfully installed SL on my Gigabyte g41m-es2l.

I have 1 minor problem with my setup. Sleep and Wake works just fine but if I restart after sleep, restart just hangs. Has anyone have this same issue? Does anyone know how to fix this? I have OpenHaltRestart.kext installed but it doesn't seem to help in this case

Yeah, this seems to be a common issue... I don't think there is a fix for it yet.

I have 1 minor problem with my setup. Sleep and Wake works just fine but if I restart after sleep, restart just hangs. Has anyone have this same issue? Does anyone know how to fix this? I have OpenHaltRestart.kext installed but it doesn't seem to help in this case

I never removed appleHDA.kext and I'm using the ad2000b.kext from post #123; sound works but only from the front jacket (I have changed output device in system preferences).

Correction; I can get sound from the rear pannel but only from the rear speakers jacket (gray connector). Not on line out (green connector) which is the one that should be used for front speakers.

While the rear channel jacket works the channels are obvisoly reversed ... am I the only one with this problem?

Hello,

Like you, i've experienced lot of kernel panics, each time different. Then I found the ultimate guide. just go to:

http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

browse the page till you see "Step One: Prepare Your Thumb Drive"

Start from here and follow every step.

For chameleon, I used the Chameleon 2 RC3 r658 (the last one made, the first on their web page)

For netkas.org, I used PC EFI 10.5 (you'll find it on netkas site, bottom of their page)

For Extra, I downloaded the Extra from post 123 of the topic.

The only thing i changed is I removed the pcefi10.3 in the extra CD before copying it.

READ the ENTIRE page and you'll make your SLeopard install perfect. I even made update to 10.6.1 without any problems.

Once I made this and installed Snow Leopard, I got sound (from back panel but with all channels working) and everything els working without kernel panic. however, Ethernet was not recognized. For this, i used AppleYukon2injector.kext (google it) with kext utility.

If you don't understand the method, drop me a line and i'll make you a huge tutorial!

Hi!!

I'm very happy with the tutorial, I'm playing few weeks with Snow Leopard working very well (from mine inexpert point of view)

My configuration is:

i7 920

6 GB RAM

1TB Sata Hard disk (seagate)

Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT 1GB RAM

Now I have the opportunity of switch my graphics card from Geforce XFX 9500gt to GIGABYTE GT220 1GB, the opportunity will last only one day :) the reason of change is because GT220 are much SILENT.

Now my question is, how I change the card with the minor issues as possible? I have a working system and I'm inexpert in hackintosh world.

I installed the new card the system boot, I see the desktop, but in the desktop appears some artifacts and not working well. I've tried to boot with -v -f and do kextcache -m /extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions and touch /S/L/E but still doesn't work (I think that not doing correct).

What you recommend me for get the card working? and if I do something wrong... how do I get working again?

Here are my boot.plist (I'm using Graphics Enabler)

<dict>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-pci0 arch=i386 busratio=20</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(1,1)</string>

</dict>/code]

Thank you very much!!

Regards! and excuse me this "little message"

Just upgraded to 10.6.2 with instructions from netkas.org, so far so good, 1 thing I noticed is that my geekbench score went down around 800 points (from 13300 to 12500)

Good to hear!

Keep us updated if something hits the fan :P

Just upgraded to 10.6.2 with instructions from netkas.org, so far so good, 1 thing I noticed is that my geekbench score went down around 800 points (from 13300 to 12500)

from the instructions it doesnt seem to affect us... what was different than simply updating... scared now...

from the instructions it doesnt seem to affect us... what was different than simply updating... scared now...

I think it has something to do with KPs using SleepEnabler.kext, netkas provided a modified version that wont KP with the new kernel, he also provided modified kexts for NullCPU and LegacyATI