HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

hi guys i just found one prob in my installation:

I followed the step from 1st post to install video card (9800 gtx+).

When i hook up my projector to my computer via vga adapter and pick mirror my computer monitor to projector it only shows display on my projector, and my monitor screen goes black and i can only see mouse pointer on monitor. It shows fine display on projector.

Every thing works fine with extended desktop view: both display are showing fine.

does any one have same problem as me?

does any one has fix for this?

Just a quick update which may also be useful:

I kept on monitoring my cpu temp for the past week and noticed that it's unusually high at idle --> 55-65 Celsius.

I did some research and found 2 Kexts to solve the issue:

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- SleepEnabler.kext (apparently, sleep becomes a problem with NullCPU kext, this one fixes that)

Now my CPU temps @ idle is in the low 40s (currently at 43)

Hi!

I'm finished installing Snow Leopard with the method of post #123 and finally IT'S WORKING!!! ;) (thank you very much dgove) but only one problem... The system only boot into SL with -v -f modifiers. I've tryed with -v only and get this error:

org.netkas.fakesmc the mach 0 file is malformed

Obviously the system hangs an steps later (when eth init). What can I do with this problem? Any advices?

I haven't modified the files just copy paste (well only modified the part of ethernet mac address 12 characters)

My system is:

Intel Core i7 920 @ stock

P6t Deluxe V2 with 0610 BIOS

All CPU part of the bios are enabled except A20M

All options of ACPI are enabled

Kingston 3x2GB 1333

1TB Seagate HD

Thank you all folks specialy to dgove for giving us that files.

Excuse my English, greetings from Spain!!

EDIT: I'm obtaining 8100 points in geekbench (32 bit only as I don't have license)

Hi!

I'm finished installing Snow Leopard with the method of post #123 and finally IT'S WORKING!!! :) (thank you very much dgove) but only one problem... The system only boot into SL with -v -f modifiers. I've tryed with -v only and get this error:

Obviously the system hangs an steps later (when eth init). What can I do with this problem? Any advices?

I haven't modified the files just copy paste (well only modified the part of ethernet mac address 12 characters)

My system is:

Intel Core i7 920 @ stock

P6t Deluxe V2 with 0610 BIOS

All CPU part of the bios are enabled except A20M

All options of ACPI are enabled

Kingston 3x2GB 1333

1TB Seagate HD

Thank you all folks specialy to dgove for giving us that files.

Excuse my English, greetings from Spain!!

EDIT: I'm obtaining 8100 points in geekbench (32 bit only as I don't have license)

i had the same problem with my first in stall i changes the boot.plist in preferences the first time i tried the install... and then could only boot with -v 0f any mods wouldn't work from there so i started from scratch and it worked fine the second time without replacing that... bios settings were what they were the whole time.... guess i was lucky i had two hdds to test install first...

i never bothered changing the mac address of the smbios... just kept everything the way it was except changed the speed u as mine is oc'ed...

i tried both kext (vodoohda.kext and ad2000b.kext), buti i can't get sound works on my p6t deluxe v1.

Any suggestion.

voodoo worked fine for me...

re verify and try again...

i had the same problem with my first in stall i changes the boot.plist in preferences the first time i tried the install... and then could only boot with -v 0f any mods wouldn't work from there so i started from scratch and it worked fine the second time without replacing that... bios settings were what they were the whole time.... guess i was lucky i had two hdds to test install first...

i never bothered changing the mac address of the smbios... just kept everything the way it was except changed the speed u as mine is oc'ed...

Ok I will test not changing the smbios.plist file, and see what happens.

Thank you very much!

EDIT:::::

I tested it but no luck! :( what more can I do??? I have a Geforce 9500GT with 1GB RAM

Just a quick update which may also be useful:

I kept on monitoring my cpu temp for the past week and noticed that it's unusually high at idle --> 55-65 Celsius.

I did some research and found 2 Kexts to solve the issue:

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- SleepEnabler.kext (apparently, sleep becomes a problem with NullCPU kext, this one fixes that)

Now my CPU temps @ idle is in the low 40s (currently at 43)

The dsdt.aml in post #123 should cause AppleLPC.kext to load and make your CPU temps normal. SleepEnabler.kext will cause a kernel panic with my files...at least for me! It seems many people with the same setup are having different problems.

Hi!

I'm finished installing Snow Leopard with the method of post #123 and finally IT'S WORKING!!! biggrin.gif (thank you very much dgove) but only one problem... The system only boot into SL with -v -f modifiers. I've tryed with -v only and get this error:

Any time you see "file is malformed" or "invalid magic number" you have a corrupted file. Why it would only do that without the -f is very strange. Maybe you need to rebuild your /Extra/Extensions.mkext

kextcache -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

and also

touch /System/Library/Extensions

i tried both kext (vodoohda.kext and ad2000b.kext), buti i can't get sound works on my p6t deluxe v1.

Any suggestion.

If you aren't using the dsdt.aml from post #123 you have to use HDAEnabler.kext with AD2000b.kext. Also, only try one at a time or they will interfere with each other. If you try VoodooHDA, you need to rename /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.

e.g.

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mv AppleHDA.kext AppleHDA.kext.orig.

Note that AD2000b.kext requires AppleHDA.kext to be present. So you'd have to rename it back if you want to try that kext: mv AppleHDA.kext.orig AppleHDA.kext

Otherwise, try moving the kexts to /System/Library/Extensions and reboot at least twice to confirm whether it works or not. If it starts working, try moving the kexts back to /Extra and see if it still works. In the BIOS settings the audio has to be set to HD Audio instead of AC97.

Ok I will test not changing the smbios.plist file, and see what happens.

Thank you very much!

EDIT:::::

I tested it but no luck! sad.gif what more can I do??? I have a Geforce 9500GT with 1GB RAM

The GraphicsEnabler=y in com.apple.Boot.plist should work for that card. Make sure you have copied the proper boot file to the root of your partition or graphics injection won't work. netkas has a new boot file 10.4.1 at netkas.org, try it.

The MAC address in smbios.plist has nothing to do with it. Depending on which program(and operating system) you use to edit your plist files you may have some extra control characters in them. This might cause some of the strange problems people are having. Windows and OSX handle line termination differently. You can verify by going into Terminal and opening the file with vi.

e.g. sudo vi /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

If you see any ^M or other highlighted control characters, you can delete them with the x key. Then to save, use :x (colon followed by x and hit Enter). You might want to make a backup copy of the file before you edit.

The dsdt.aml in post #123 should cause AppleLPC.kext to load and make your CPU temps normal. SleepEnabler.kext will cause a kernel panic with my files...at least for me! It seems many people with the same setup are having different problems.

Hi dgobe,

I did use the dsdt.aml file in post #123 but still my cpu was very hot. I do get a couple of kernel panics with the NullCPU and SleepEnabler. I'll try removing them again and see what happens.

Hi,

Thanks for all the hard work you guys have put into this project.

I hope I'm not off topic here but I'm about to buy a system similar to what you have here and would like to run Mac OS X and Windows on separate drives.

I have a couple of questions though:

1. Would this Hackintosh install work on a Rampage II Extreme mobo? I'm considering this board as the Deluxe V2 seems to have some serious problems especially with the eSATA/IDE controller.

2. Can anyone recommend a decent PCI wireless network adapter that runs under OS X?

Cheers.

I works!!!!!! at first boot I did -v -f -s and then rebuild kext caches and touch, then exit > Reboot and fully working hackingtosh!!

Thank you very much again.

What can I do if I want to put Win7 on the same HD? maybe resizing and then installing win7?

Best regards!

Hi dgobe,

I did use the dsdt.aml file in post #123 but still my cpu was very hot. I do get a couple of kernel panics with the NullCPU and SleepEnabler. I'll try removing them again and see what happens.

Tried without NullCPU and temps went up again.... ;)

I think the KPs I've been getting were related to my Overclocking. It was getting quite unstable and was having random KPs on different apps. I modified my OC and now it's not giving me any KPs anymore (so far :) ). I think it was because I had SpeedStep and Turbo Mode enabled, when Turbo Mode kicks in, I randomly get a KP. I may try it with SpeedStep enabled and Turbo Mode disabled and see what happens.

Thanks

Hey guys!

I just wanted to give a big hearty thanks for all the people to all the generous people who put their time and effort into this.

Seriously you guys AMAZED me on the time and devotion on this.

I just wanted to provide feedback.

I have spent the last two days and 16 hours in getting Snow Leopard installed on this system.

i7 920

P6T non-deluxe V1.01

12GB Corsair DDR3

150GB VelociRaptor (The install drive)

GTX 285

Now for the news. I know you guys are wondering what does this noob want to know.

Ok. I GOT IT INSTALLED! WHOO! :D :D

Anyways. Everything works fine...but before I ask the noob question, I'd like to at least provide something to people.

If you like me, an idiot bought the P6T non-deluxe V 1.01 the dsdt.aml file that is posted in this thread will not work. :D

You will get this error:

Oct 12 00:28:20 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0×20 Vectors 64:87

Oct 12 00:28:20 localhost kernel[0]: IOAPIC: Version 0×20 Vectors 88:111

Thank goodness for you guys

cause in this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...89052&st=40

pechspilz posted this link http://www.trick77.com/2009/10/12/asus-p6t-64-bit-osx86/

Which should allow you to boot like normal! :)

Anyways now to my noooooob question.

I have 12GB's of ram. When I *first* boot up it shows I have all 12GB.

When I restart the second time it says all my ram are in the right spot and I have 8GB of ram.

WHen I restart a third time. I says my ram are in the wrong spot and I have only 4GB of ram and stays that way from there-on out. :(

Any ideas? Not really a big deal cause Win 7 sees all my ram so I know it's there. lol But It was OSX I really needed the 12GB of ram for. (Final Cut)

BTW this isn't for me, this is for my friend. I just handle the installs, he actually knows how to use the programs.

Thanks for any input guys, it's not super important. But if any of you have a few mins and a clue I would appreciate it!

Ciao!

I have simple questions:

1. How come My Chemeleon does not boot automatically one of the OS after few seconds?
  2. What files I have to change in order to do that ?
  3. And what program I have to use to edit that file and what chnges I have to make?

Thank You guys all of you.

You guys are the best and I can always trust on your work.

I have simple questions:

1. How come My Chemeleon does not boot automatically one of the OS after few seconds?
  2. What files I have to change in order to do that ?
  3. And what program I have to use to edit that file and what chnges I have to make?

Thank You guys all of you.

You guys are the best and I can always trust on your work.

1. Copy /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to the desktop
  2. Open with Textedit
  3. Make sure you HAVE the following lines
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>6</string>
    <key>Instant Menu</key>
    <string>No</string>

4. Save and close
  5. Copy back to /Extra folder. Enter your password
  6. $$$ (or not)

Any time you see "file is malformed" or "invalid magic number" you have a corrupted file. Why it would only do that without the -f is very strange. Maybe you need to rebuild your /Extra/Extensions.mkext

kextcache -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

and also

touch /System/Library/Extensions

If you aren't using the dsdt.aml from post #123 you have to use HDAEnabler.kext with AD2000b.kext. Also, only try one at a time or they will interfere with each other. If you try VoodooHDA, you need to rename /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext.

e.g.

cd /System/Library/Extensions

mv AppleHDA.kext AppleHDA.kext.orig.

Note that AD2000b.kext requires AppleHDA.kext to be present. So you'd have to rename it back if you want to try that kext: mv AppleHDA.kext.orig AppleHDA.kext

Otherwise, try moving the kexts to /System/Library/Extensions and reboot at least twice to confirm whether it works or not. If it starts working, try moving the kexts back to /Extra and see if it still works. In the BIOS settings the audio has to be set to HD Audio instead of AC97.

The GraphicsEnabler=y in com.apple.Boot.plist should work for that card. Make sure you have copied the proper boot file to the root of your partition or graphics injection won't work. netkas has a new boot file 10.4.1 at netkas.org, try it.

The MAC address in smbios.plist has nothing to do with it. Depending on which program(and operating system) you use to edit your plist files you may have some extra control characters in them. This might cause some of the strange problems people are having. Windows and OSX handle line termination differently. You can verify by going into Terminal and opening the file with vi.

e.g. sudo vi /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

If you see any ^M or other highlighted control characters, you can delete them with the x key. Then to save, use :x (colon followed by x and hit Enter). You might want to make a backup copy of the file before you edit.

thanks 4 help sound works right now

GREAT

Hi all; just to share some info.

I was able to have, finally, a working stable installation of SL (i.e. no crashes, KP or other amenities of the like, and this from some days…).

I slightly went back the Leopard installation way for this MoBo (take a look at MJ guide) and I have set up an EFI partition installation.

I do have a P6T Deluxe V2 6GB 1600 Cosrair RAM, i7 950 (by the way I'm using busratio=23, but I've just guessed sitting between 940 and 970... it is fine?) nVidia GTX 285 2GB and a coupple of old, real real old 80GB sata HDs. Default BIOS setting but HT enabled. BIOS version 0504

I've chosen this "old" method since the one from wziard here made me nut from the number of KP and I was really sick of rebooting the darn MoBo.

wziard thanx so much for putting all the info togheter and the kexts: whitout your help in finding the good stuff probably I could not have make it...

Just installed from a USB stick booting from 10.5.8 on a GUID formatted WD 80GB (1,5 not 3 MB) slow, real slow HD.

While the installer was doing its job I've lunched Chameleon from wziard pack an choose to install the EFI option (need to click on customize).

I then mounted the newly EFI partition:

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hsf /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

From terminal and being su/root (use sudo or su) I do have copied the wziard Kexts in the Extra/Extensions.

I do have recompiled the DSDL.aml and copied in /Volume/EFI since I do have another CPU following information here.

Copy it togheter with the boot from wziard in Extra. Same for smbios.plist again in Extra.

I do also copied in it the vanilla kernel in /Volume/EFI.

Rebuild the Extra/Extension chache installed not there but directly in SLE otherwise… no audio… VooDoo Audio.

I have found from DiskUtility the HD UUID. Worked out the EFI string for my video card using any of the method you like (Acquamac, EFI Studio, etc.).

With all the info I do have copied in /Extra a modified version of com.apple.Boot.plist that looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
       <key>Kernel</key>
       <string>mach_kernel</string>
       <key>Kernel Flags</key>
       <string></string>
       <string>bt(0,0)/mach_kernel busratio=23 boot-uuid=YOUR HD UUID</string>
       <key>device-properties</key>
       <string>VERY LONG HEX VIDEO EFI STRING</string>
       <key>Graphics Mode</key>
       <string>YOUR SCREEN RES AND DEPTH</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I edited the IONetworkingfamily as wizard.

And finally rebooted the thing.

I got at the chosen resolution the green chameleon screen and start first time with -v -f options…

It boots in 30 seconds to the initial SL splash screen at my video resolution: not an error (besides NVinject with I do have late removed).

During boot no error (I checked in dmesg too…)

Performance: not bad at all even HD; seems to me the second HDs it is a bit slow but I'm able to copy a 14GB dmg file from the secondary HD to the SL one in 4 minutes that it is not so bad using my 2 old SATA-1 HDs.

TODO

One annoying thing is that the HDs icons (even USB stick) are folder icons and not disk one and by now cannot understand why. Probably I messed up some KEXTs.

Try to boot and use the MoBo from a disk different from position 0 (ie the first).

I do not have ANY KP in at least 3 days of normal usage.

It use 64b kernel (but switch to 32 as soon need to use VMWare... or other not working apps). Video at full speed (QE & CI).

Thanks to all from this thread and the others about this MoBo.

HI karterilla, I have an identical setup as you but my evga gtx 285 is 1gb. Can you tell me how you got your efi string and how you installed it? right now my hackintosh boots through all the kernal stuff but then my monitor screen goes black.

ive tried booting with -x -v

Thank you!

HI karterilla, I have an identical setup as you but my evga gtx 285 is 1gb. Can you tell me how you got your efi string and how you installed it? right now my hackintosh boots through all the kernal stuff but then my monitor screen goes black.

ive tried booting with -x -v

Thank you!

just use the chameleon graphics enabler... far simpler...

1. Copy /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist to the desktop
  2. Open with Textedit
  3. Make sure you HAVE the following lines
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>6</string>
    <key>Instant Menu</key>
    <string>No</string>

4. Save and close
  5. Copy back to /Extra folder. Enter your password
  6. $$$ (or not)

Thanks dude it worked.

One more question is there a way to hide one of the partition showing on boot loader screen?

I finally got everything working (i think). THe only thing that is happening now is that when it's done booting i get a black screen! I have a Nvidia GTX 285 1GB video card. Does anyone have a fix for this?

*I do not have a second video card i can put it to be able to do the video fix*