HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

Hi Dgobe,

First I would like to thank you and wziard for this Guide. Second I found a new AD2000b.kext and DSDT HDAEnabler ( Thanks the KiNG ) in the projectosx forum. Link=> http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...c=465&st=20

Hope It can help.

PiSToL

PiSToL,

I have same audio problem mate, I check the link you provided but cannot really understand it. Can you please elaborate on how to use the DSDT HDA Enabler and AD2000b kext?

Hi Dgobe,

First I would like to thank you and wziard for this Guide. Second I found a new AD2000b.kext and DSDT HDAEnabler ( Thanks the KiNG ) in the projectosx forum. Link=> http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...c=465&st=20

Hope It can help.

PiSToL

PiSToL,

Sorry, but as I am having the same problem, a little help will be very appreciated. I already read the web link you posted previously but I can`t get it to work. Can you please elaborate how you get audio to work on P6t D2? Thanks in advance for your help.

Kennyman

New dsdt.aml attached with THe KiNG's newer fix. If you are using VoodooHDA.kext you will have to make sure you have restored the stock AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions. Also rename VoodooHDA.kext to VoodooHDA.kext.disabled. It's required in order for this DSDT based enabler and AD2000b.kext to work.

You may also want to rebuild your kext caches with these commands:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo /usr/sbin/kextcache -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

sudo chown root:wheel /Extra/Extensions.mkext

sudo chmod 0644 /Extra/Extensions.mkext

If it doesn't work, try at least one more reboot

dsdt.aml.zip

New dsdt.aml attached with THe KiNG's newer fix. If you are using VoodooHDA.kext you will have to make sure you have restored the stock AppleHDA.kext to /System/Library/Extensions. Also rename VoodooHDA.kext to VoodooHDA.kext.disabled. It's required in order for this DSDT based enabler and AD2000b.kext to work.

You may also want to rebuild your kext caches with these commands:

sudo /usr/sbin/kextcache -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

sudo chown root:wheel /Extra/Extensions.mkext

sudo chmod 0644 /Extra/Extensions.mkext

If it doesn't work, try at least one more reboot

dsdt.aml.zip

is that just for the new bios or for everyone... still got your initial setup with the new fakesms.kext and dont use voofoohda.kext

Just to clarify, the old setup files from post 123 work fine with the new BIOS(0704), no changes necessary. St3p posted some information that made it seem like you needed a modified dsdt, but that wasn't the case, at least for me.

The DSDT I just posted incorporates a new HDAEnabler that was created by THe KiNG and referenced above by PiSToL. It prevents some boot time error messages that don't really cause any problems anyway. I just made it available if anyone was having problems getting AD2000b.kext working. That said, the new DSDT should work fine for everyone. I'm running it now.

Just a quick edit:

If you want to try a new dsdt.aml here's a good way to do it. Copy it to your /Extra directory like this:

cp /wherever/newdsdtfolder/dsdt.aml /Extra/dsdttry.aml

When you boot, hit Tab at the Chameleon boot screen and it will give you a loader prompt. At the prompt specify:

DSDT=/Extra/dsdttry.aml

This will use the new dsdt and if something goes awry, you can just reboot and it will use your old dsdt.aml without having to change anything.

hi all, Im just about to pull the trigger on a new system(probably an ex58 unless someone has a good reason to go the P6T?) but havent decided on my video card, I know nvidia is the safe bet for a hackintosh but is not the way to go for all other reasons eg. cost/speed/efficiency.

So im thinking I should get me a radeon 58/59 series and a cheap nvidia until drivers come along for radeon? On that note would I be right in thinking I should go with a 5800 series as its the most likely one for mac to release drivers for next? eg. they are usually at least a year behind the GPU game and they are the most energy efficient etc.

cheers

Well I have it up and going, used the post 123 info and works fine.

Did the update to 10.6.2.... which updated a few things.

Rebooted fine

Updated some more stuff, till there is no updates left.

But there is a problem.

I open iTunes.... and it says do I want to update to 9.02

I choose YES

It fires up software update again....

But software update says there is no updates available.

HMMMM

Anyone else have update issues?

Well I have it up and going, used the post 123 info and works fine.

Did the update to 10.6.2.... which updated a few things.

Rebooted fine

Updated some more stuff, till there is no updates left.

But there is a problem.

I open iTunes.... and it says do I want to update to 9.02

I choose YES

It fires up software update again....

But software update says there is no updates available.

HMMMM

Anyone else have update issues?

Can you try this? - There must see be an option like (Don`t inform me next time this update or something similar) when the update thing fires up in itunes. Just make sure to check it and it should be fine next time you open itunes, the update window will not show up. Give it a try....let us know the result.

Just to clarify, the old setup files from post 123 work fine with the new BIOS(0704), no changes necessary. St3p posted some information that made it seem like you needed a modified dsdt, but that wasn't the case, at least for me.

The DSDT I just posted incorporates a new HDAEnabler that was created by THe KiNG and referenced above by PiSToL. It prevents some boot time error messages that don't really cause any problems anyway. I just made it available if anyone was having problems getting AD2000b.kext working. That said, the new DSDT should work fine for everyone. I'm running it now.

Just a quick edit:

If you want to try a new dsdt.aml here's a good way to do it. Copy it to your /Extra directory like this:

cp /wherever/newdsdtfolder/dsdt.aml /Extra/dsdttry.aml

When you boot, hit Tab at the Chameleon boot screen and it will give you a loader prompt. At the prompt specify:

DSDT=/Extra/dsdttry.aml

This will use the new dsdt and if something goes awry, you can just reboot and it will use your old dsdt.aml without having to change anything.

I have been trying to get audio working but in vain even if I try to re -install VoodooHDA. After many sleepless nights, I decided to do a fresh install of SL as I thought it might be my Apple HDA which is corrupt/cause of the sound issue. I follow the steps yuo mentioned above but it didn`t work. Can you please give me some advice on how to install the AD2000B from a fresh install. BTW, i have not installed VoodooHDA this time. Just installed SL, no update yet and no audio kext. I am not sure where to leave the AD2000b...should it be in S/L/E or in /Extra folder. BTW, thanks for posting the DSDT file above, i am using the same one and it works fine....except audio.

Success.. I got my rig working. All cores enabled, no flags needed at boot.... a perfect vanilla install. THANK YOU all. My rig:

P6T D V2

i7 920 2.66

6gb ram

BFG Geforce GTX260

Seagate 1tb Barracuda as ACHI

Can you try this? - There must see be an option like (Don`t inform me next time this update or something similar) when the update thing fires up in itunes. Just make sure to check it and it should be fine next time you open itunes, the update window will not show up. Give it a try....let us know the result.

Gday Kennyman

Nah, the problem is I have iTunes 9.00 installed (default snow leopard)

I open iTunes and it says there is a later version 9.02 available

But software update reports no such thing. It says all apps are up to date....

Guess I could just download 9.02

But it makes me wonder if other applications are also not updating?

I ran software update and currently installed is

Java for Mac OS X 10.6 update 1 (ver 1.0)

Airport Client Update 2009-002 (ver 1.0)

Safari (ver 4.04)

Remote Desktop Client Update (ver 3.3.1)

Max OS X Update Combined (Ver 10.6.2)

Thats all that it says is available / installed

I have been trying to get audio working but in vain even if I try to re -install VoodooHDA. After many sleepless nights, I decided to do a fresh install of SL as I thought it might be my Apple HDA which is corrupt/cause of the sound issue. I follow the steps yuo mentioned above but it didn`t work. Can you please give me some advice on how to install the AD2000B from a fresh install. BTW, i have not installed VoodooHDA this time. Just installed SL, no update yet and no audio kext. I am not sure where to leave the AD2000b...should it be in S/L/E or in /Extra folder. BTW, thanks for posting the DSDT file above, i am using the same one and it works fine....except audio.

There is a BIOS setting for the audio, make sure it's set to HD Audio and not AC97 or whatever the other options are.

Make sure VoodooHDA isn't in /Extra/Extensions or /S/L/E and the stock AppleHDA.kext is present in /S/L/E. AD2000b will work in either location but put it in /Extra/Extensions. If you're using the dsdt recently posted that has the proper settings to enable the audio. At that point it's just a matter of having the correct permissions on AD2000b.kext and rebuilding the /Extra/Extensions.mkext. I attached a couple of shell scripts I use, fixperms does essentially what the graphical Kext Helper utility does and rebuildmkext rebuilds your /Extra/Extensions.mkext. I made these to automate the process when in single user with no GUI. You can run them with no command line arguments to get usage info. Do NOT run fixperms on /S/L/E (the entire directory), it's mostly for use in /E/E but you can run it on a single kext directory in /S/L/E if you want. e.g. fixperms /S/L/E/VoodooHDA.kext

utils.zip

Go to a Terminal and issue these commands:

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin

sudo cp utils.zip /usr/local/bin (you need to be in the directory where utils.zip is located)

cd /usr/local/bin

sudo unzip utils.zip

sudo chmod +x fixperms rebuildmkext (just to make sure they're executable)

cd /Extra/Extensions

sudo fixperms AD2000b.kext

sudo rebuildmkext /

Reboot at least twice before confirming whether it works or not. Good luck

I just wanted to thank everyone who has contributed to this, I have FINALLY (after a week of pulling out my hair) got my Snow Leopard install up and running (nearly flawlessly, haven't tested ethernet, front audio, or dual monitors)... But sleep/wake cycle, shutdown, Firewire, etc. works... It also apears to support my graphic card, at least changing resolutions works great. The only problem i have noticed is that after sleep/wake cycle I must unplug my keyboard and plug it back in to get it recognised... This may be related to my specific keyboard, anyone else notice this?

As for my install:

I did exactly what is posted in Post #219 and it worked, with no panics so far... (only been up a few hours)

My Hardware:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

core i7 920

6 GB G.Skill Tri-Channel DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 Memory

Geforce 9800 GT 512MB

Western Digital RE3 500GB

I will post more info as I test out the system.

There is a BIOS setting for the audio, make sure it's set to HD Audio and not AC97 or whatever the other options are.

Make sure VoodooHDA isn't in /Extra/Extensions or /S/L/E and the stock AppleHDA.kext is present in /S/L/E. AD2000b will work in either location but put it in /Extra/Extensions. If you're using the dsdt recently posted that has the proper settings to enable the audio. At that point it's just a matter of having the correct permissions on AD2000b.kext and rebuilding the /Extra/Extensions.mkext. I attached a couple of shell scripts I use, fixperms does essentially what the graphical Kext Helper utility does and rebuildmkext rebuilds your /Extra/Extensions.mkext. I made these to automate the process when in single user with no GUI. You can run them with no command line arguments to get usage info. Do NOT run fixperms on /S/L/E (the entire directory), it's mostly for use in /E/E but you can run it on a single kext directory in /S/L/E if you want. e.g. fixperms /S/L/E/VoodooHDA.kext

utils.zip

Go to a Terminal and issue these commands:

sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/bin

sudo cp utils.zip /usr/local/bin (you need to be in the directory where utils.zip is located)

cd /usr/local/bin

sudo unzip utils.zip

sudo chmod +x fixperms rebuildmkext (just to make sure they're executable)

cd /Extra/Extensions

sudo fixperms AD2000b.kext

sudo rebuildmkext /

Reboot at least twice before confirming whether it works or not. Good luck

Thanks!!! Finally got it working...thanks for your help. Had to reboot twice and then I saw the audio icon and try a quick youtube link and PERFECT....but I remember doing pretty same thing previously, but for some reasons it didn`t work. Anyway, it`s fine now and system profiler shows all I/O, will setup up my cheap 5.1 system and do a test later on with a DVD. Thanks again.

Hi, before I put the drive that I remotely installed SL on into my pc, do I have to change any BIOS settings? I saw in another thread that you need to disable HT. But this thread says nothing about this. Do I have change BIOS settings?

Sk3letal

No need to disable HT, make sure your HDD is not on IDE. When you boot in chameleon, press tab, then -v -f to be safe for the first boot.

EDIT2: Solved! Here is microsoft KB on how to change vista to boot in AHCI if it was installed in IDE http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Installed using post 123 extra folder, iFabio dsdt.aml and pc efi 10.5

When booting off of it I get error:

Still waiting for root device

I just can't boot, have tried different boot flags and also enabling support for ahci in the bios like another site said.

EDIT1: By changing bios settings to:

- Storage Configuration

+ Configure SATA as [AHCI]

I can now boot Snow Leopard. Before it was set to Configure SATA as [iDE]

But not I cannot boot Vista, I get BSOD 0x0000007B. Is this because I installed vista under IDE mode instead of AHCI mode? If so is there anything I can do to get it booting under AHCI?#

Okay, my ethernet is not working. It worked fine on first boot so I was using to to update to 10.6.2 and stuff. Then I reboot and no ethernet. Have tried with different boot flags -f and -x. Also have tried installed appleyukon2injector.kext that someone said to use. Still doesn't work.

Did it only work for one boot because I edited the info.plist of the appleyukon2 kext without using nano? I just opened it up in textedit and changed the numbers. I don't know how to use nano. I typed this in sudo nano /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist and had no idea where to go next.

If anyone can help please?

Okay, my ethernet is not working. It worked fine on first boot so I was using to to update to 10.6.2 and stuff. Then I reboot and no ethernet. Have tried with different boot flags -f and -x. Also have tried installed appleyukon2injector.kext that someone said to use. Still doesn't work.

Did it only work for one boot because I edited the info.plist of the appleyukon2 kext without using nano? I just opened it up in textedit and changed the numbers. I don't know how to use nano. I typed this in sudo nano /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist and had no idea where to go next.

If anyone can help please?

Dear All,

I had the same difficulties in the beginning. After searching the internet and the forum InsanelyMac the instructions will become easy.

Use the tip of Dgobe in post # 123

Step by Step

1. in applications, open the utilities and find the terminal

2. open Terminal

3. Type sudo -s

4. Type your password

5. Type sudo nano /Volumes /your drive (example: Snow)/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

6. Now you are in the nano 2.0.6 and you can edit the Info.plist

7. Find the <key>Yukon-88E8053</ key> It's easy, simply click around 35 times control + v (Next page)

8. Find <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and make it <key>Yukon-88E8056</key> (change 53 to 56)

9. Find <string>0x436211AB</string> and make it <string>0x436411AB</string></key> (change 62 to 64)

10. Find <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> and make it <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string> (change 53 to 56)

11. Ctrl+O to save and hit enter in nano.

12. Ctrl+X to exit

13. Reboot

Enjoy your Hackintosh machine

May the Force be with you

Best Regards

Goku&Gohan

Dear All,

I had the same difficulties in the beginning. After searching the internet and the forum InsanelyMac the instructions will become easy.

Use the tip of Dgobe in post # 123

Step by Step

1. in applications, open the utilities and find the terminal

2. open Terminal

3. Type sudo -s

4. Type your password

5. Type sudo nano /Volumes /your drive (example: Snow)/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

6. Now you are in the nano 2.0.6 and you can edit the Info.plist

7. Find the <key>Yukon-88E8053</ key> It's easy, simply click around 35 times control + v (Next page)

8. Find <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and make it <key>Yukon-88E8056</key> (change 53 to 56)

9. Find <string>0x436211AB</string> and make it <string>0x436411AB</string></key> (change 62 to 64)

10. Find <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> and make it <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string> (change 53 to 56)

11. Ctrl+O to save and hit enter in nano.

12. Ctrl+X to exit

13. Reboot

Enjoy your Hackintosh machine

May the Force be with you

Best Regards

Goku&Gohan

Thanks for the "It's easy, simply click around 35 times control + v" part :wacko: I will try tonight.

Hi,

I have a Asus P6T Deluxe V2 running 10.6.2, and the only problem i have is that i currently can not shutdown or reboot the computer.

All the fans stays turned on while everything is shutting down.

I used the OpenHaltRestart.kext provided in the pack.

I enabled the ACPI 2.0 in the BIOS and no success.

Anybody have an idea ?

Edit---

I do not use any DSDT.aml file, everything is working fine withouth it (USB, Sleep, Sound via AppleHDA, network and video). Anyway, i don't know how to use that and what utility it have. Everything works fine without it.

pOxbOx,

"everything is working fine without it".....except shutdown.

Copy dsdt.aml to your Extra folder and see if that helps

Great, it reboot/shutdown correctly, thank you :)

I patched my own with DSDTPatcher provided in the pack.

Everything went great.

Thank you :)

Edit--

I noticed that boot/shutdown times takes a bit longer. Do you think it's related to DSDT ?

I currently use a SSD and it take about 40-50 seconds.

If I understand you correctly you edited your own dsdt.dsl and ran fassl's DSDT Patcher on it. There are SATA hacks that were required for Snow Leopard and I made many other tweaks to the DSDT(the latest was about 10 posts ago). If you didn't do those that would account for your problems....it should shutdown, restart and sleep within 5 seconds.

Just use the one posted, you can disassemble it if you want to see the changes made. All of the information that I used to make the changes are posted in the links in post #123.