HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

Snow Leopard Retail Install on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Intro: This guide is basically pulling together bits and pieces from a hundred different things I read in the process of figuring this out, but I do believe I now have a good, clean method of installing Snow Leopard a432 (retail edition) on my hardware. This should work with most similar hardware configurations, just be aware that I've written the audio/ethernet/graphics section specifically for the P6T Deluxe V2 and my graphics card. My setup:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.3ghz

nVidia GTS 250

1gb WD SATA drive

*note before beginning: I use the terms "copy" and "move" interchangeably; I'm not being specific.

**other note: Since you will be doing all of the setup from a drive/OS other than the 10.6 installation you're installing, keep in mind that "/System/Library/Extensions" is on your current system, while "/Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions" is the Snow Leopard drive. Just make sure you're not accidentally doing anything to your own system throughout the guide.

I. Installing Snow Leopard

This can be done a variety of ways, all we're trying to do is get a clean retail installation of SL onto a fresh disk/partition. Since I have a MacBook Pro and an external SATA enclosure, I just attached my drive to the laptop and installed straight from the disc, so that is what I will describe. If you have multiple internal drives you could copy the retail DVD to a drive and run the installer from there, or run it straight from the disc onto the drive you'll be installing on, whatever. All you need to end up with is a hard drive with a clean 10.6 install on it.

a. Connect USB SATA drive to Mac

b. Open Disk Utility. Select the USB drive in the sidebar and erase/reformat it, I used Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). In this guide I will assume the name of the drive is "Snow." Ensure that the Partition Map Scheme is GUID. If it's not, click the "Partition" tab and setup a single partition (or more, if you desire, one is easiest though) with GUID.

c. IMPORTANT: Once the reformat/partitioning is complete, go to "Get Info" on the drive and look toward the bottom. Unlock the "Sharing & Permissions" section and uncheck "Ignore Ownership."

d. To run the installer, open Terminal and enter the following:

open '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'

* This assumes you're running it straight from the disc. If this is not the case (for instance if you made a .dmg of the disc and then restored it to a separate drive/partition), amend the file path appropriately.

e. Click through the install dialogue, click "Customize" and deselect printer driver, additional fonts, additional languages that you don't want. Let the install go, should take around 15-20 minutes.

II. Installing Bootloader and DSDT patch

a. Download this pack of useful materials that I have generously put together: click

b. Run the Chameleon installer (Chameleon-2-1.0-r431.pkg) and be sure to change the install location to the drive you just put 10.6 on.

c. Run this in terminal:

sudo -s
rm /Volumes/Snow/boot

* Remember to change the above path if your 10.6 drive is not called "Snow"

d. From the download pack, move "boot" to the root directory of your Snow drive. (The last step was deleting the old one, you're just replacing it with one that will work.)

e. Copy "dsdt.aml" from the download pack to the root directory of your Snow drive, but only if you have the same motherboard/cpu setup as me. If not, or if you encounter weird problems later, use the DSDT patcher GUI (also in download pack). To use that, just open the app, choose "Darwin/Mac OS X," check "Apple DSDT Patch to:", select your 10.6 drive from the drop-down, and hit "Run DSDT Patcher."

III. Kexts and smbios

a. Open the folder "Kexts" in the download pack and copy them all to /Snow/Extra/Extensions. You can also throw in any kexts I didn't include that you know you will need, if you're using different hardware.

b. Put "Kext Utility" (from the download pack) in Applications, your dock, wherever, and drag the folder /Snow/Extra/Extensions onto it. This will repair the kext permissions and create a new Extensions.mkext file.

c. Move "smbios.plist" from the download pack into /Snow/Extra.

IV. Ethernet fix (only for Asus P6T's Yukon 88E8056)

a. Open up Terminal, enter the following:

sudo nano /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and make it <key>Yukon-88E8056</key> (change 53 to 56)

Find <string>0x436211AB</string> and make it <string>0x436411AB</string></key> (change 62 to 64)

Find <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> and make it <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string> (change 53 to 56)

Hit ctrl + o and then enter to save the file, then ctrl + x to exit nano.

AT THIS POINT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RESTART, SEE THE LOVELY CHAMELEON BOOTLOADER SCREEN, SELECT YOUR LEOPARD DRIVE, AND BOOT TO IT. If you don't see the lovely Chameleon bootloader screen make sure you're booting to the proper drive/partition, etc. If you encounter strange error(s) while booting, enter "-v" on the chameleon screen (just type it and it will show up on the bottom, then hit enter to boot) and see what it reports.

Edit: at this point you should be doing the last couple steps from your new Snow Leopard system, not from the remote system. Cleverly, we fixed ethernet before the first boot (how cool are we), so that should work.

V. Graphics fix

Props to Aquamac for his work on this. I'm just reposting his instructions here for convenience.

a. Download the necessary files for your nVidia graphics card (I'm not sure what to do for ATI cards, look around) from this page (the one in the download pack is for GTS 250): click

b. Copy the two files you downloaded (gfxutil and in.plist) to your desktop.

c. Enter this in Terminal:

cd ~/desktop 
./gfxutil -f display

You'll get something like this returned: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0xe,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

d. Copy that string, open "in.plist", and replace the provided string with the one you copied. Save in.plist.

e. Back in the same Terminal window, do this:

./gfxutil -i xml -o hex ./in.plist ./out.hex

f. A file called "out.plist" has appeared, magically, it seems, on your Desktop. Open it in a text editor and copy the string (or memorize it).

g. Open "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" in a text editor, and add some lines at the bottom before </dict></plist>:

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>PASTE YOUR LONG HEX STRING HERE!</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>

*Stick your own screen resolution in there so system startup looks nice.

h. Save that file, or if it won't let you, save it under a different name somewhere else, delete the original, and copy the new one over (with the same name as the original, com.apple.Boot.plist).

i. Also put the new com.apple.Boot.plist in /Volumes/Snow/Extra/.

VI. Sound Fix

a. Terminal:

rm /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

b. From the downloaded package, drag "VoodooHDA.kext" to Kext Utility, it will install it.

That's all.

Run Kext Utility again to make sure all permissions are set right, restart, and you should have working graphics and sound! Actually, only the line-out works and not my front headphone jack, but this is the best I could find. If anyone gets it fully working let us know. Also I can't get IDE devices to show up even with the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, if someone figures that out I'd love to know.

If you have questions, or encounter problems, or notice that I've forgotten something, I'll attempt to help. Good luck.

- wziard

Hi wizard, I have P6T7 WS SuperComputer. Do you think if is possible the same method with my motherboard?

Any idea?

hello

im going to buy this board and doing research ahead, i would be interested which method install is better, if wziard- the maker of this thread, or dgobe's method from post 123? the most vanilla install preferably

which method gives me less headaches for running but also updating? pros and cons of each method?

thank you for your advice

hello

im going to buy this board and doing research ahead, i would be interested which method install is better, if wziard- the maker of this thread, or dgobe's method from post 123?

which method gives me less headaches for running but also updating? pros and cons of each method?

q

hello

im going to buy this board and doing research ahead, i would be interested which method install is better, if wziard- the maker of this thread, or dgobe's method from post 123? the most vanilla install preferably

q

post 123 and post 1 mixed... cant do 123 without 1...

hello

im going to buy this board and doing research ahead, i would be interested which method install is better, if wziard- the maker of this thread, or dgobe's method from post 123?

q

hello

q

hello

q

Both. Follow his instructions, but use my files.

I haven't updated those files recently, but there is a new boot loader. PC EFI 10.5 from netkas.org. I'd use that, you simply download the "boot" file from his site and copy it to the root of your drive. Also see the sticky at the top of this forum about getting your CPU recognized. The new boot file will allow you to specify settings in /Extra/smbios.plist for proper CPU recogition.

i dont use any of them so am i safe to upgrade without an worries???

I think it's a safe bet since dickoy has already reported success. If you use your computer for critical work you might want to wait until a few more people try and report their results.

i dont use any of them so am i safe to upgrade without an worries???

screencapture1b.th.png

Ey scott, if you're not using NullCPU kext, can you tell us what temps you're getting with your cpu? If I remove that kext, my cpu is 10-20 celsius hotter than with it.

With NullCPU i get idle --> 36-40

without it --> 50-55

I think you should be good to go for upgrade, if you have ATI card, replace the LegacyATIController kext with the 10.6.2 version from netkas, also make sure you're using fakesmc v2 and not dsmos.kext

Ey scott, if you're not using NullCPU kext, can you tell us what temps you're getting with your cpu? If I remove that kext, my cpu is 10-20 celsius hotter than with it.

With NullCPU i get idle --> 36-40

without it --> 50-55

I think you should be good to go for upgrade, if you have ATI card, replace the LegacyATIController kext with the 10.6.2 version from netkas, also make sure you're using fakesmc v2 and not dsmos.kext

what program can i use to test... only ever test in windows temps... mine is oc to 3.6...

what program can i use to test... only ever test in windows temps... mine is oc to 3.6...

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

My temps are best (35-37C on all cores, i920 no OC) with the stock IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and proper dsdt.aml.

dickoy, do a kextstat in Terminal and see if you have AppleLPC.kext loaded(this will require using my files with no NullCPU kexts. If it's not loading make sure you have the right dsdt.aml in place and ensure that there isn't a conflicting one in the root of your drive.

My temps are best (35-37C on all cores, i920 no OC) with the stock IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and proper dsdt.aml.

dickoy, do a kextstat in Terminal and see if you have AppleLPC.kext loaded(this will require using my files with no NullCPU kexts. If it's not loading make sure you have the right dsdt.aml in place and ensure that there isn't a conflicting one in the root of your drive.

dam ye they are ranging between 48 - 53

that oc to 3.62 and a mugen 2 cooler and case fully turned up... that would normally be 32 in windows ish...

dam what to do??

dam ye they are ranging between 48 - 53

that oc to 3.62 and a mugen 2 cooler and case fully turned up... that would normally be 32 in windows ish...

dam what to do??

try as dgobe suggested, mine got lower when I added nullcpu, but do try what dgobe said above first

i use you dsdt from post 123...

how do i try what you mentioned...

try as dgobe suggested, mine got lower when I added nullcpu, but do try what dgobe said above first

now i am getting completely confused... downloaded th netkas version on nullcpu...

now lost...

You will simply add Nullcpu kext to /Extra/Extensions to disable vanilla PM kext and see what happens to your temps. Don't forget to run kextcache to rebuild your Extensions.mkext(fix your permissions then run kextcache -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions) If you're like dickoy they should be better. My temps are fine without the disabler. Do what works for you.

If using my files only, I was curious to see if AppleLPC.kext was loading for you(and dickoy). Go to Applications->Utilites and run a Terminal window. At the prompt type in: kextstat|less and see if AppleLPC.kext is in the list. Once that kext was loaded, I had proper speedstepping and the best temps. YMMV

EDITED

You will simply add Nullcpu kext to /Extra/Extensions to disable vanilla PM kext and see what happens to your temps. Don't forget to run kextcache to rebuild your Extensions.mkext(kextcache -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions and fix your permissions) If you're like dickoy they should be better. My temps are fine without the disabler. Do what works for you.

If using my files only, I was curious to see if AppleLPC.kext was loading for you(and dickoy). Go to Applications->Utilites and run a Terminal window. At the prompt type in: kexstat|less and see if AppleLPC.kext is in the list. Once that kext was loaded, I had proper speedstepping and the best temps. YMMV

Ey man, AppleLPC is a standard kext from apple right?

You will simply add Nullcpu kext to /Extra/Extensions to disable vanilla PM kext and see what happens to your temps. Don't forget to run kextcache to rebuild your Extensions.mkext(kextcache -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions and fix your permissions) If you're like dickoy they should be better. My temps are fine without the disabler. Do what works for you.

If using my files only, I was curious to see if AppleLPC.kext was loading for you(and dickoy). Go to Applications->Utilites and run a Terminal window. At the prompt type in: kexstat|less and see if AppleLPC.kext is in the list. Once that kext was loaded, I had proper speedstepping and the best temps. YMMV

applelpc does load...

done as mentioned above...

about to reboot...

applelpc does load...

about to reboot...

yep... wil nullcpu it is now alot cooler indeed down to 35-39 and thats oced to 3.62 using a mugen cooler and the antec 902 case...

applelpc does load...

about to reboot...

yep... wil nullcpu it is now alot cooler indeed down to 35-39 and thats oced to 3.62 using a mugen cooler and the antec 902 case...

Kewl, did you upgrade to 10.6.2 also?

scared to... just got in from rugby and considering it after my shower...

I upgrade to 10.6.2 only adding Nullcpu in my Extra folder.. all work fine !!

My hard:

P6t deluxe v2

Core i7 @ 3.8

2gb * 3 @ 1600 ddr3

Leopard 10.6.2 @ dgobe guide.

yep i bought the bullet and did it... boot up took slightly longer... i load a lot of apps at start manually and all loaded very fast... not done anything intensive yet...

yep i bought the bullet and did it... boot up took slightly longer... i load a lot of apps at start manually and all loaded very fast... not done anything intensive yet...

did you take a geekbench before? if so can you also take after?

I gonna buy a system to my girlfriend tonight, and she wants OS X and Logic. I've read this thred and got this together. Don't bother about the links, it's was the easiest way to copy the names :)

Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9550

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR, P45, Socket-775

Kingston ValueR. DDR2 PC6400 4GB KIT CL5

Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB GDDR5

And some basic stuff like HDD of course, but do you think it will work? Or should we take a GTX 260 insted?

I gonna buy a system to my girlfriend tonight, and she wants OS X and Logic. I've read this thred and got this together. Don't bother about the links, it's was the easiest way to copy the names :)

Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9550

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR, P45, Socket-775

Kingston ValueR. DDR2 PC6400 4GB KIT CL5

Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB GDDR5

And some basic stuff like HDD of course, but do you think it will work? Or should we take a GTX 260 insted?

If budget is not an issue, I'd go for an i7 system