HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

Hi all, thanks for the guides!

I have come across what I feel is the easiest procedure yet getting everything up and running.

I noticed that Firewire and network card 2 were disabled in the bios so I re-enabled them and still no luck. Firewire got detected and installed right away, which is nice I guess.

Thank you for the guide- very nice & straight-forward! :rolleyes:

You said that was detected & installed right away... Do you have to test with it?

I have a G-Tech Mini from the Apple store which is only recognized as an unknown device and is not accessible to the OS. The drive works in XP, Vista & Windows 7 on my machine so I don't think it's a problem with my particular drive. Since it is from the Apple store there shouldn't be any incompatibilities.

Is anybody able to read/write to any drives connect via Firewire with their P6T Deluxe?

Thanks a lot!

One more question: about on-board ADI sound... (using iFabio's DSDT & THe KiNG's AD2000B.kext)

I don't have any devices using a digital connection, so... The only sound outputs available to me the sound preference pane are: Headphones, and two other generic outputs.

My problem is that none of them go to my primary (front speakers) sound output, just the center/subwoofer & rear speakers (and of course the headphones on the front panel only).

Anyone else have the same experience?

Any solutions? Suggestions? Advice?

Maybe I've gotten mixed up and I'm using the wrong version of the AD2000B.kext- it seems there are quite a few versions floating around...

Thanks for any feedback or help anyone is able to offer!

Hi all, thanks for the guides!

I have come across what I feel is the easiest procedure yet getting everything up and running.

1. Follow the Make's guide on setting up a thumb drive (http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required)
  2. Substitude the installer application from iFabio's post (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=65538).
  3. Run installer application on thumb drive
  4. Update network Info.plist settings (here?)
  5. Make sure bios settings are correct.
  6. Boot from thumb drive

I used the same method to install to a USB flash drive and then do my install from it...it was a different webpage but the same basic procedure. I like this method because the install goes faster and you can use the USB flash drive as a "rescue" boot system if something happens to your install. You can run a Terminal from the Installer and edit/update files.

sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext <-- repairs permissions

cd /System/Library <-- changes directories

sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache <-- rebuilds kextcache on reboot

When you sudo nano your plist the permissions don't get changed so there is no need to repair them. Also, never use rm with the -r option when deleting single files, it can end in disaster. What would happen if you typed in rm -rf Extensions and accidentally hit Enter when trying to hit the period? Learn from my experience :D The Extensions.mkext is no longer stored there in Snow Leopard anyway. A simple "touch /System/Library/Extensions" will cause kextd to rebuild all the caches.

There will be a new installer coming that does all of this for you.

I cleaned up the ugly ethernet patching code and added some new files.

Make a directory in /Extra called bin:

1) mkdir /Extra/bin

2) Copy ethpatcher.sh to it. (make sure it's executable with chmod +x ethpatcher.sh)

3) Copy com.dgobe.ethpatcher.plist to /Library/LaunchDaemons

4) Execute: sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.dgobe.ethpatcher.plist (or reboot and it will load)

(You can unload with sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.dgobe.ethpatcher.plist)

This will start a process that watches the Info.plist file and if something makes changes to it(an Apple update for example) the patcher will run and fix the device id's. You can test like this:

touch /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents

and then

tail /var/log/system.log

you should see a line like this

Jan 15 15:49:39 Daves-Mac-Pro ETHPATCHER[1337]: Ethernet Info.plist was patched

ethpatcher.sh = patcher for use with launchd, put in /Extra/bin

com.dgobe.ethpatcher.plist = plist for use with launchd, put in /Library/LaunchDaemons

patchionet.sh = just a manual patcher if you want run yourself

pfpatcher.sh = patcher adjusted for postflight installer....Fabio! (does not setup launchd job but we could make it)

Check it out:

ethpatcher.zip

EDIT: PLIST GOES IN /Library/LaunchDaemons not /Library/LaunchAgents

Needs to be in LaunchDaemons so it will have permissions to change the file

Has anyone been successful using 2 gfx cards with this mobo? I have 2 gtx 275s and can get them to work separately but not together. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Also while I am at it, my sleep isn't working, and I get a KP anytime I try to use Airport, so if anyone has a dwa-552 wireless card, let me know :)

Other than those problems I have a working install of SL. This has been a great thread thanks to all of the contributors, so thanks a lot!

Hi all!

I'm holiday now... ;):D:D;)

I'll be back moonday...

I not have firewire device to test it... same probelm with previus DSDT(M2 version)?

try this 3 trick

1) Run snow in 32 bit mode

2) Put your machine in sleep. wake it and try (maybe your usb keyboard need to unplug and replug).

3) If previus trick nothing....

Edit the DSDT maybe dgobe can made this mod/change for you

iasl -d DSDT.aml (decompile the binary table)

open it with bbedit or similar

search for fwport

just in this section there are this value

"fwport",

Buffer (0x02)

{

0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

}

and change it with all 0 (zero)

save and recomplile... try if this work

Fabio

@dgobe great work!

moonday I restart DSDT stripping...

SHOULD BE SAFE NOW.

Here's a new installer...it should be one step and done, mostly. I would appreciate it if more experienced users would try this first and report if you find any problems. Beginners can try at your own risk. It would be best if you have a flash drive or another Mac hard drive to boot from if something goes wrong. I've run it a few times on my system with no problems.

After you unzip the file and double-click the pkg this is the basic install process:

• 1) You can select which DSDT(i920 or i940) to use from within the installer, please select one and only one in addition to the main installation files. The DSDTs are Fabio's latest.

• 2) All existing files are backed up to /P6TInstallerBackup.DATE-TIME (in root of installation volume). DATE-TIME will be replaced with the current date and time :(

• 3) Updates /usr/sbin/fdisk and /usr/standalone/i386 files. Then installs the AsereBLN boot code and updates the MBR and boot sector. This just runs the fdisk and dd commands on the installation volume. If you are running a bootloader like GRUB or LILO make sure this won't cause problems for you. I'm working on integrating the Chameleon installers code that compensates for this.

• 4) Copies /Extra and sets up Ethernet auto patcher. Runs ethernet patcher to update your Info.plist. All permissions are properly set by the installer. No need for kext utility.

• 5) The only thing left to do is edit com.apple.Boot.plist and put in the proper graphics resolution and edit smbios.plist and put in the serial number(not required). Default resolution is 1280x1024.

New thread and installer here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1394042

P6T Deluxe V2 Installer package:

P6TDeluxeV2Installer1.9.zip

I used the last DSDT and the OrangeIconfix.kext and i still have orange icons ?

Is this normal ?

Thanks a lot, you're awesome !

Hi.

the OrangeIconFix.kext is just a cosmetics kext no benefit with or without.

Make sure is placed in Extra/Extensions

The "dummy" works if is in the Extension.mkext... so run Kext utility (doble click on it) and automatically

rebuild the two caches need +/- 2 min in total for finish the process...

Reboot and enjoy.

Fabio

I used the last DSDT and the OrangeIconfix.kext and i still have orange icons ?

Is this normal ?

Thanks a lot, you're awesome !

Using dgobe's installer I too have orange icons, processing your /Extra/Extensions folder with the Kext Utility will fix this. Rebooting with the -f flag will get rid of the orange icons but they come back when I reboot. This was tested running the P6T Deluxe V2 Installer package 1.7 on my existing SL install.
I would appreciate it if more experienced users would try this first and report if you find any problems. Beginners can try at your own risk.

I did all of the following twice with the same results both times.

- A fresh install from SL DVD to 8GB USB Thumbdrive

- Ran P6T Deluxe V2 Installer package 1.7 and it stated it was successful

-- files all transferred: boot & Extra folder

-- P6TInstallerBackup.DATE-TIME folder not created

-- Info.plist unchanged; ethernet not working

-- boot0 and boot1h not installed; "boot1: /boot_" error received.

It appears the file transfers are successful but the commands are not successful.

Could this be specific to installing to a USB thumbdrive? The P6TInstallerBackup.DATE-TIME folder is created when I run the installer on my hard drive.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check those things out.

The installer just copies a pre-built Extensions.mkext into Extra, so maybe I need to have the scripts run the kextcache commands instead. I've never used the OrangeIcons.kext, I just copied it from Fabio's installer. I'm running my Mac drive off a USB connection so I can't really test it....l can move my drive to the SATA controller when I have time. You can try the kext that come with the Chameleon distribution. IOAHCIBlockInjector.kext(or something like that, there are a few of them). One of those removes the orange icons. Don't use the Disabler.kext

I'll install to a USB flash drive and see what's up.....it's a work in progress. I'm trying to contact Dr Hurt to see if I can incorporate the Chameleon installer scripts into my installer. His installation process is more robust and checks for alternate boot loaders like GRUB and LILO.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check those things out.
Anytime dgobe!

I've never used the OrangeIcons.kext, ....snip... You can try the kext that come with the Chameleon distribution. IOAHCIBlockInjector.kext(or something like that, there are a few of them). One of those removes the orange icons. Don't use the Disabler.kext
OrangeIcons.kext is the correct kext, if you process the /Extra/Extensions folder with Kext Utility the orange icons are gone.

I'll install to a USB flash drive and see what's up.....it's a work in progress. I'm trying to contact Dr Hurt to see if I can incorporate the Chameleon installer scripts into my installer. His installation process is more robust and checks for alternate boot loaders like GRUB and LILO.
Sounds good. I recall another install script recently upgraded to work on usb sticks (wish i could remember which one).

I read the AsereBLN Booter thread over at efixusers(dot)com and one of it's primary developments is vanilla power management, it allows the removal of openhaltrestart.kext with some changes to the DSDT. The changes are given for a Gigabyte motherboard and I took a look at iFabios DSDT but this is way over my head. dgobe, iFabio have either of you looked into this? Does it apply to our motherboards?

For the Gigabyte motherboard this

Scope ()
   {
    Name (PICF, Zero)
    Method (_PIC, 1, NotSerialized)
    {
	    Store (Arg0, PICF)
    }
   }

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
   {
    Or (Arg0, 0xF0, Local0)
    Store (Local0, DBG1)
    OSTP ()
    If (LEqual (Arg0, One)) {}
    If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03)) {}
    If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
    {
	    Store (ESMI, Local0)
	    And (Local0, 0xFB, Local0)
	    Store (Local0, ESMI)
	    Store (0x99, SMIP)
    }

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x04))
    {
	    If (LNot (PICF))
	    {
		    Sleep (0x64)
	    }
    }
   }

was changed to this

Scope ()
   {
    Name (PICF, Zero)
    Method (_PIC, 1, NotSerialized)
    {
	    Store (Arg0, PICF)
    }
   }

OperationRegion (PMRS, SystemIO, 0x0430, One)
   Field (PMRS, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
   {
	    ,   4, 
    SLPE,   1
   }

Method (_PTS, 1, NotSerialized)
   {
    Or (Arg0, 0xF0, Local0)
    Store (Local0, DBG1)
    OSTP ()
    If (LEqual (Arg0, One)) {}
    If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x03)) {}
    If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x05))
    {
	    Store (ESMI, Local0)
	    And (Local0, 0xFB, Local0)
	    Store (Local0, ESMI)
	    Store (0x99, SMIP)
	    Store (Zero, SLPE)
	    Sleep (0x10)
    }

If (LEqual (Arg0, 0x04))
    {
	    If (LNot (PICF))
	    {
		    Sleep (0x64)
	    }
    }
   }

I read the AsereBLN Booter thread over at efixusers(dot)com and one of it's primary developments is vanilla power management, it allows the removal of openhaltrestart.kext with some changes to the DSDT. The changes are given for a Gigabyte motherboard and I took a look at iFabios DSDT but this is way over my head. dgobe, iFabio have either of you looked into this? Does it apply to our motherboards?

For the Gigabyte motherboard this...

flag_ita.gif Ciao maitaijim!

Conosco gia quella fix,

ma non e' di facile implementazione ho altre priorita' da sistemare nel nostro DSDT

1) Al momento cerco di fissare la firewire che putroppo non funziona ancora a dovere.

(alcuni dispositivi rimangono sconosciuti).

2) Ho appena riposizionato i dispositivi nel DSDT c'era un errore nel kernel_log (Ringraziamenti a kn6600)

e ho colto l'occasione per dargli la giusta gerarchia generale

3) Ridurre il codice del DSDT equivale a eliminare codice non utilizzato da OSX e quindi un avvio molto più veloce. Il DSDT e scritto per windows, non per OSX cerco di adattarlo a OSX.

flag_eng.gif Hi maitaijim!

I already know the fix,

but deployment is not easy I have other priorities to be fix in our DSDT

1) When I try to fix the firewire which unfortunately is still not functioning properly.

(Some devices remain unknown).

2) I just repositioned the devices in the DSDT was an error in kernel_log (Thanks to kn6600)

and I took the opportunity to give in it the right general hierarchy

3) Reduce the DSDT code: is equivalent to removing code unused by OSX and then boot much faster. The DSDT is written for Windows not for OSX so... I try to adapt it to OSX.

Fabio

Ps : DSDT vM2.2 coming

Little update.

Credits go to kn6600

There is a kernel.log error correlate to audio section.

With this one you don't get sound assertion error message

this is the correct AD2000b.kext notthing change in functionally but so is better.

just overrwrite the old one with this and run kext utility.

little step to have a clean log.

Fabio

Updated installer here(post #432):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1387316

Give it a try maitajim. I tested on my already installed system and on a fresh install to a new external USB HD.....let me know how it goes.

P6T Deluxe V2 Installer package 1.8 on an 8GB USB Thumb Drive

-Orange drive icons - fixed

-P6TInstallerBackup.DATE-TIME folder creation - fixed

-Info.plist patch - fixed

-"boot1: /boot_" error received - not fixed *I had to set the active partition manually v1.9 works great

I could help troubleshot the scripts if you made the package contents viewable.

Go to Applications->Utilities->Console and find the install.log in /private/var/log

If there was an error with the fdisk or dd commands it will be in there. Post it or PM me. You can have the log open as you are doing the install and you will see the output as it happens. Go to a Terminal and send me the output of the mount command too(do this with the USB drive plugged in).

You can download Pacifist and everything is right there in the Resources if you want to look at the files.

Go to Applications->Utilities->Console and find the install.log in /private/var/log

If there was an error with the fdisk or dd commands it will be in there. Post it or PM me. You can have the log open as you are doing the install and you will see the output as it happens. Go to a Terminal and send me the output of the mount command too(do this with the USB drive plugged in).

You can download Pacifist and everything is right there in the Resources if you want to look at the files.

Cool, I should have time later today, thanks again.

Does this affect the Installer you guys made?

Onestly.. not test until now...

I think is just a CPU compatibily update (core i9) no affect I repit ... not test until now...

My think... I w8...

Fabio