HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

I have recently oveclocked my i7 to 3.2 GHz and i raised the QPI a bit, and i still see 2.67 GHz in Snow Leopard with the stock 4.8 GT/s.

I do not use any disabler, maybe i need to modify the DSDT or something else ?

Anybody have an advice ?

Thanks a lot ;)

Guys,

Just wondering if anyone have try PC EFI 10.5, I get a "pci root uid not found" when booting into SL.

It`s not affecting anything so far, but would like to know if you are experiencing any issues with this when working with softwares or downloading updates. Please let me know....BTW I went back to EFI 10.3 for now, I need my SL for some serious presentation work for a project.

Hi, I tried Empire EFI to do a retail installation, but it's still waiting for root device (I also tried to enable the ahci mode, but then my pc does not boot from DVD).

With AHCI mode my computer shows this problem:

Marvel 88se63xx/64xx adapter BIOS Version 3.1.0.12
Virtual Disc
[no virtual disc]
Physical Disc
[no physical Disc]

Press <Ctrl> + <M> to enter BIOS setup or <Space> to continue.

Then it hangs, and I can't do anything (I can't even go into BIOS!)

Is there any other alternative I could try?

(I used also another bootCD called "BootSLv3", but after booting the retail SL DVD, I just get the grey apple screnn with sth. like a stop sign.)

@pOxbOx

Those strings are static, they are read from the processor and whatever you put in smbios.plist. There is the SMbusspeed key in smbios.plist if you want to change your QPI speed but it's just cosmetic. Your processor is really running at whatever speed you set it to in the BIOS.

Guys,

Just wondering if anyone have try PC EFI 10.5, I get a "pci root uid not found" when booting into SL.

It`s not affecting anything so far, but would like to know if you are experiencing any issues with this when working with softwares or downloading updates. Please let me know....BTW I went back to EFI 10.3 for now, I need my SL for some serious presentation work for a project.

I think it's part of the automatic detection in 10.5. The UID is set to Zero in the DSDT I posted, which is the correct value. The error shouldn't cause any issues, you can try -pci0 in your kernel flags to see if makes any difference.

@muffin92

If you can't get into the BIOS you have other issues. Try unplugging everything and use the jumper on the mobo to reset the CMOS settings. That Marvell screen you show is normal, it's the controller for the eSATA port and it can be disabled if you can get into the BIOS. Leaving it enabled doesn't hurt anything but if you aren't using eSATA it will boot faster without it. Don't know anything about Empire EFI, maybe you should follow the guide along with the files in post #123?

@muffin92

If you can't get into the BIOS you have other issues. Try unplugging everything and use the jumper on the mobo to reset the CMOS settings. That Marvell screen you show is normal, it's the controller for the eSATA port and it can be disabled if you can get into the BIOS. Leaving it enabled doesn't hurt anything but if you aren't using eSATA it will boot faster without it. Don't know anything about Empire EFI, maybe you should follow the guide along with the files in post #123?

It works now, I had simply to do a Bios update!

My intallation is finished and now I'm doing the post-intallation!

Thanks

@pOxbOx

Those strings are static, they are read from the processor and whatever you put in smbios.plist. There is the SMbusspeed key in smbios.plist if you want to change your QPI speed but it's just cosmetic. Your processor is really running at whatever speed you set it to in the BIOS.

Thank you,

However, do you know if there is anyway to inject Intel Core i7 CPU-Type string since the new Imac11,1 is out ?

P6T Deluxe V2 w/ BIOS 0704

i7 920

Only 3 kexts

Shutdown, restart and sleep all working

Chameleon RC4 Hide Partition enabled

No orange drive icons

iStat Menus support (cpu info but no network activity ?)

Speedstep with Turbomode support

My Geekbench (64 bit mode stock cpu speed): 9543

Using the method in Fabio's thread referenced by st3p a few pages back.

The second part of post #1 is for Snow Leopard.

Fabio's Italian thread Translated with Google

If you already have SL installed there is no need to reinstall.

Download P6T_Deluxe_10.6.xV1.rar from post #1 in Fabio's thread and extract P6T Deluxe Snow.pkg from it.

Browse the contents of P6T Deluxe Snow.pkg, look for the boot and Extra folders, in Contents>Resources and copy them to your desktop. Use only these files. I deleted my Extra folder and boot file, manually ran through the Chameleon install using the boot folder from P6T Deluxe Snow.pkg. Then copied the Extra folder and rebuilt my kexts with Kext Utility. I did not run P6T Deluxe Snow.pkg. DSDT, boot and kexts are all from P6T_Deluxe_10.6.xV1.rar. Use the DSDT from post #202 for Turbomode

P6T_Deluxe_10.6.xV1.rar from Fabio's thread it contains P6T Deluxe Snow.pkg for the Extra folder and boot folder.

Post #202 for alternate DSDT to enable turbomode.

Post #323 for iStat support.

And if I'm not mistaken this method does not require a SMUUID entry in smbios.plist and takes care of this automatically.

More improvements are in the works right now, see posts #342 and 342 (Fabio's Thread).

Great work everybody!

im not able to find an answer to my question, how can one find out that speedstep is working. in the past i could check in msrtools (dont work in leo), or voodoopower (didnt want to install the whole package but voodoomonitor gives me panic). i also think on my old q6600 i could use cpux, but that is supposed to work only on core2 family. is there any way to find out if speedstep is working on this motherboard?

tx

P6T Deluxe V2 w/ BIOS 0704

i7 920

Only 3 kexts

Shutdown, restart and sleep all working

Chameleon RC4 Hide Partition enabled

No orange drive icons

iStat Menus support (cpu info but no network activity ?)

Speedstep with Turbomode support

My Geekbench (64 bit mode stock cpu speed): 9543

I checked this out yesterday, it seems most of the support comes from patches to the boot loader that will more than likely make it into the next versions of Chameleon and PC EFI. The fakesmc.kext hack to allow iStat support works with my files.....though I had network activity but did not see any CPU temps(I could get CPU load info). I installed the sensors module but maybe it requires 32bit, I was booted into 64bit at the time.

I did not run P6T Deluxe Snow.pkg. DSDT, boot and kexts are all from P6T_Deluxe_10.6.xV1.rar. Use the DSDT from post #202 for Turbomode

The DSDT in post #1 and post #202 are identical, I ran a diff on them. I did NOT see turbomode kick in with his files or mine, though speedstepping worked with both. I verified the correct BIOS settings. Maybe something else I missed?

And if I'm not mistaken this method does not require a SMUUID entry in smbios.plist and takes care of this automatically.

This is accomplished through Chameleon RC4 but it uses a random UUID vs the one a Mac would use. You can see a discussion about this at the Chameleon website in the comments about RC4.

If you want to check your speedstepping/Turbomode go here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188954

It's safe for Core i7. You can run Geekbench and watch it go from an idle speed of 1.6Ghz to 2.67Ghz when the load kicks in. You can selectively chose the Pstates by clicking on them. I'd be interested to hear of anyone going into Turbomode....the Pstatechanger.app didn't show anything above 2.68 and the Geekbench numbers I was getting with both iFabios files and mine were in the same ballpark.

I'll check out his DSDT in more detail when I have a chance, maybe there are some goodies in there! :wacko: Thanks maitajim

I'd be interested to hear of anyone going into Turbomode....the Pstatechanger.app didn't show anything above 2.68 and the Geekbench numbers I was getting with both iFabios files and mine were in the same ballpark.

My pstate 0 is 2800 MHz, at rest my Frequency (MHz) is 1600(57%). When I run Geekbench the Frequency (MHz) jumps to 2800(100%).

With Fabio's files I boot 64-bit by default. To clarify once again I am not using any of the files from this thread, boot, DSDT and ketxs all replaced with the ones from the Italian thread.

Looks like Fabio has his smbios.plist down to only 8 items and a new DSDT in the works that will grab the CPU and Memory info straight from the BIOS. This will be great if I ever get around to overclocking. See dgobe and Fabio's posts bellow

I'll have to double check when I have time. I seem to remember both my P0 states being 2.68 with both file sets. I understand that you are using an alternate set of files. The P6T_Deluxe_10.6.xV1.rar doesn't have the mods to fakesmc.kext's Info.plist and I'm not sure if they are required for iStat...I've never used it before, but I'll test that too.

He's not using the DSDT for the hacks you mention regarding smbios.plist entries. These are patches made by Asere and rekursor to the boot loader( /boot ) that will eventually make their way into the main Chameleon/PC EFI code bases... e.g. RC5 and 10.6 There are already patches to get the right UUID in there too.

I'll have to double check when I have time. I seem to remember both my P0 states being 2.68 with both file sets. I understand that you are using an alternate set of files. The P6T_Deluxe_10.6.xV1.rar doesn't have the mods to fakesmc.kext's Info.plist and I'm not sure if they are required for iStat...I've never used it before, but I'll test that too.

He's not using the DSDT for the hacks you mention regarding smbios.plist entries. These are patches made by Asher and scrax to the boot loader( /boot ) that will eventually make their way into the main Chameleon/PC EFI code bases... e.g. RC5 and 10.6 There are already patches to get the right UUID in there too.

Hi People!

Just to clarify some things (sorry for my poor english)

1) The benefit come from the boot (AsereBNL tanks to him).

1a) Important fix in the boot is the SSMUUID! Final fix this {censored}! Once again thank's to AsereBNL

2) My last DSDT ( I call it M2) Have inside it the Original SSDT tables from our motherboard (3 SSDT)

2a) By default (do the same work of speedstepenabler) use standard multipler + 1multipler called TURBO

then in i7-940 is (x22 stock speed) and (x23 turbo)

for i7-920 is (x20 stock speed) and (x21 turbo)

as Intel spec say ... see it in BIOS!

My next DSDT no take info from BIOS

Once again.. is the boot not the DSDT

PS : The translator of google, you have used for my Italian guide creates too many errors and misunderstandings... losing the sense of use, I advise you not to use those translations, so if you need information, ask!

Fabio

I'm using Fabio's DSDT and I can confirm it makes the speedstep working, than, turbomode (which is just an extra multiplier), if included in the speedsteps, will kick in as consequence when and if needed.

Other tricks, as recognising cpu speed and mem speed, are made in the new bootloader's mod by Asere. This is done during boot, when no turbomode is active, and you'll see your cpu fixed max speed. I overclocked to 3.2 and that's what it recognises. The "auto-oc" by an extra multiplier will be applied later when system is up and if needed, dinamically. Infos in "about this mac" are static and won't show your higher clock given by an extra multiplier.

The fakesmc mod fixes temperatures reading and works, but I can confirm only for 32bit mode, 'cause it's what I'm using due to my firewire audio interface lack of drivers, so as Dgobe stated, it could be not working in 64 with temp drivers 4 Intel.

Here I must say also a strange thing happened: after that fix I runned many times geekbench and found a light improvement in benchmarks...nothing great, but it's there.

100-200 points. No clue of what influenced what.

Hey iFabio,

I was testing your DSDT (M2 from post #202 of your thread) and could not get P-state 0 to go to 2800MHz. I took a look at your file and saw where you store 0x0A6C in the SPSS and NPSS strings for use with the _PSS method. 0x0A6C = 2668, or 2.668 GHz and that's what I was getting for P-state 0. I changed those strings to 0x0AF0(2800) and was able to get to 2.8GHz when the system was loaded and switched to P-state 0. Is this how you were doing the Turbomode or were you changing the multiplier somewhere else in the DSDT?

Interestingly, if you look at this key in IORegistryExplorer:

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/P001@0/AppleACPICPU/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin/PerformanceStateArray

You can see the P-state data stored there and it still shows 0x0A6C! Surprising!

Thanks, hope this translates well to Italian :(

EDIT: OK, I SEE THE MULTIPLIER IS RIGHT THERE 0x15=21 BUT WOULD NOT GO TO 2800 UNTIL I CHANGED 0X0A6C TO 0X0AF0. Is there something else I need to do or is that the right solution?

Hey iFabio,

I was testing your DSDT (M2 from post #202 of your thread) and could not get P-state 0 to go to 2800MHz. I took a look at your file and saw where you store 0x0A6C in the SPSS and NPSS strings for use with the _PSS method. 0x0A6C = 2668, or 2.668 GHz and that's what I was getting for P-state 0. I changed those strings to 0x0AF0(2800) and was able to get to 2.8GHz when the system was loaded and switched to P-state 0. Is this how you were doing the Turbomode or were you changing the multiplier somewhere else in the DSDT?

Interestingly, if you look at this key in IORegistryExplorer:

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/P001@0/AppleACPICPU/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin/PerformanceStateArray

You can see the P-state data stored there and it still shows 0x0A6C! Surprising!

Thanks, hope this translates well to Italian :)

EDIT: OK, I SEE THE MULTIPLIER IS RIGHT THERE 0x15=21 BUT WOULD NOT GO TO 2800 UNTIL I CHANGED 0X0A6C TO 0X0AF0. Is there something else I need to do or is that the right solution?

flag_eng.gif I was just struggling with compiling for the version i7-920 (Version M2.1) ... Not having a i7-920 which I did a test of logical reasoning to make the same changes on your processor

little question: Have you unlocked turbo option in the BIOS? So CPU Speed = AUTO?

Remember also that in the BIOS in the "CPU Configuration"

I have everything set to Enabled also A20M.

-----------------

I7-920 processors for

turbo = 21 * 133 = 2793

stock = 20 * 133 = 2660

The procedure that you did not 'completely correct, obligations the CPU to work in stock mode

with the frequencies of the turbo.

As in Windows the turbo function is used when the CPU load, there is no OSX application that monitors these steps (like SIXENGINE in Win)from one state to another is not 'easy to check the entry in Turbo mode. Alternatively you can fix it with P-StateCharger .

Small note: I use Snow in FULL 64 mode.

flag_ita.gif Ero giusto alle prese con la compilazione per la versione i7-920 (Versione M2.1)...

Non avendo un i7-920 su cui provare ho fatto un ragionamento di logica per apportare le stesse modifiche sui vostri processori

Piccola domanda: Hai sbloccato l'opzione turbo dal BIOS? Quindi CPU speed = AUTO?

Ricorda anche che nel BIOS nella parte "CPU CONFIGURATION" io ho settato tutto su ENABLED anche A20M.

-----------------

per i processori i7-920

turbo= 21*133=2.793

stock= 20*133=2.660

Il procedimento che hai fatto non e' completamente corretto, obblighi LA CPU a lavorare in stock mode con le frequenze del turbo.

Come avviene in windows la funzione turbo viene usata in caso di carico delle CPU, non esistendo una applicazione OSX che monitorizzi questi passaggi (SIXENGINE)da uno stato all'altro non e' facile verificarne l'entrata in TURBO mode.

Alternativamente fuoi fissarlo con P-StateCharger.

Piccola nota: Io uso la modalita' a 64 bit di SNOW.

Fabio

flag_eng.gif I was just struggling with compiling for the version i7-920 (Version M2.1) ... Not having a i7-920 which I did a test of logical reasoning to make the same changes on your processor

little question: Have you unlocked turbo option in the BIOS? So CPU Speed = AUTO?

Remember also that in the BIOS in the "CPU Configuration"

I have everything set to Enabled also A20M.

-----------------

I7-920 processors for

turbo = 21 * 133 = 2793 <-- your goal

stock = 20 * 133 = 2660

The procedure that you did not 'completely correct, obligations the CPU to work in stock mode

with the frequencies of the turbo.

My BIOS settings are correct, I checked them several times when I couldn't get it working :)

OK, stock setting P1=2667 0xA6B P0=2668 0xA6C(which I changed to 2800 0xAF0 )

21 * 133.3333333 = 2800 It's working but I'm wondering if other people have it working without that change. I'm in FULL 64bit mode also.

If you have time I'd like you to try my DSDT(no P-states) and post the PerformanceStateArray values from IORegistryExplorer. I want to see if it loads the correct settings for your processor.

Thanks

My BIOS settings are correct, I checked them several times when I couldn't get it working :)

OK, stock setting P1=2667 0xA6B P0=2668 0xA6C(which I changed to 2800 0xAF0 )

21 * 133.3333333 = 2800 It's working but I'm wondering if other people have it working without that change. I'm in FULL 64bit mode also.

If you have time I'd like you to try my DSDT(no P-states) and post the PerformanceStateArray values from IORegistryExplorer. I want to see if it loads the correct settings for your processor.

Thanks

Ok give me 1 min I post you the next DSDT.dsl M2.1 version i7920 so you can extrapolate the fix in it

1 min...

OK, I just noticed you had A20M enabled, so I tried that too. That makes no difference, still doesn't work unless I use modified DSDT(0xAF0) for P-state 0. I'll wait for your post, thanks.

flag_eng.gif Ok This is the version to compile in DSDT.aml that I'm using (my i7-940) uses the same system of P-state and C-State

Using the kext Orangeiconfix.kext by the King (Fill in Extra / Extensions and rebuild the cache)

-Fixed bug in log Firewire.

Removed the device id of our ICH10 natively recognize the USB

them inside the dsl there is much material of research done by Master Chief thanks go to him (obviously usable for us) try it and edit it

I go to sleep now bye

flag_ita.gif Ok

Questa e' la versione da compilare del DSDT che sto usando (la mia i7-940)

Usa lo stesso sistema di P-State e C-State

Usare lo kext Orangeiconfix.kext by THe KiNG (Inserire in Extra/Extensions e ricostruire la cache)

-Corretto errore nel log della Firewire.

Eliminati gli id device delle USB il nostro ICH10 li riconosce nativamente

Dentro il file c'e molto materiale delle ricerche fatte da MasterChief ringraziamenti vanno a lui

(Ovviamente quelli usabili per noi)

provalo e modificalo

Fabio

I had to change line 226 to 0x0AF0 in the NPSS section(you already changed line 124 for SPSS). It showed 2668 for P0 if I didn't make that edit. Otherwise it's running fine so far...it booted anyway :) Have to get some sleep now, thanks again!

I had to change line 226 to 0x0AF0 in the NPSS section(you already changed line 124 for SPSS). It showed 2668 for P0 if I didn't make that edit. Otherwise it's running fine so far...it booted anyway :D Have to get some sleep now, thanks again!

I forgot mentioned the boot file is:

Chameleon v2.0RC4_PCEFI-10.5_AsereBNL

other tricks

Use my smbios.plist different apple mobo

[size=1]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>SMbiosdate</key>
   <string>03/04/2009</string>
   <key>SMbiosversion</key>
   <string>MP41.88Z.0081.B04.0903051113</string>
   <key>SMboardproduct</key>
   <string>Mac-F4208DC8</string>
   <key>SMfamily</key>
   <string>Mac Pro</string>
   <key>SMmanufacter</key>
   <string>Apple Inc.</string>
   <key>SMproductname</key>
   <string>MacPro4,1</string>
   <key>SMserial</key>
   <string>secretserial</string>
   <key>SMbusspeed</key>
   <string>4800</string>
</dict>
</plist>[/size]

and my com.apple.Boot.plist

[size=1]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_kernel</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string></string>
   <key>Quiet Boot</key>
   <string>No</string>
   <key>Graphics Mode</key>
   <string>1680x1050x32</string>
   <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
   <string>y</string>
   <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
   <string>y</string>
   <key>Theme</key>
   <string>Default</string>
</dict>
</plist>[/size]

My extra/Extension folder:

-AD200b.kext

-fakesmc.kext (modded)

-OrangeIconFix.kext (just cosmetic no needed)

-OpenHaltRestart,kext

So teorically only 3 kext needed! :):angel::)

bye

Fabio